RSX 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gears swapped FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:06 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSX 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gears swapped FINALLY!

After weeks of waiting for parts to arrive, I finally got the RSX-S 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears swapped into my TSX.

I plan on taking some video within the next few days and posting it here. However, I have a feeling it won't do much justice to the actual feeling of the car now.

DIFFERENCES

The main reason I wanted to do this mod was due to my dissapointment in the 1-2 upshift in the 6MT. As you can see in the gear ratio table below, the TSX has the longest 2nd gear out of all the 6MT K-series motors:

After replacing the referenced gears, I pretty much have the equivalent ratios of the 2006 Civic Si. Previously, not even the help of a Hondata reflash would give me consistent upshifting where I can stay in VTEC. Now, the 1-2 upshift at 7000 RPMs lowers me only down to around 5200 RPMs where I have much more power on tap.

All of the other upshifts with the exception of 5-to-6 are much closer as well. To no surprise, the 5th-to-6th upshift falls off drastically allowing me to retain a cruising/econo gear. Another advantage gained was the improved passing ability of my new 5th gear. I rarely will have to do the ol' 6th-to-4th downshift.

The most surprising change was the improved cruising drivability. The TSX is now able to give me more power during stop and go situations where I'm not screaming the heck out of the K24A2.

DISADVANTAGES

I now have some error in my speedometer due to the speedo gear spinning much faster now. I estimate the reading shows 5-8 MPH faster than the actual speed. Hopefully I can learn how the fix this.

Additionally, I have to get my car aligned. When the tranny was removed, many components had to be removed and the steering rack couldn't be placed back to the factory setting. Looks like I'll be forking up another $60.

NO LSD, FLYWHEEL, AND CLUTCH

I decided to stay with the stock differential after taking into consideration that I rarely drive my car to its limits. With the clutch, I have concerns of drivability while stuck in SoCal traffic. A lightweight flywheel gave me concerns of harsh engine braking. Lastly, skipping the 3 saved me close to $1500.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the results. The cars is much more fun to drive now. Those curious about this mod should be prepared to spend over $1200.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:07 AM
no0bIe

Wow nice write up!!! Hope everything works out well for you.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh wow....that's crazy. Keep us posted in the long run.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Wowsers.....nice work my man. What a great mod.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Nice work. That's a lot of money to fork over to get it done though. I think this is one mod I can resist doing.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice writeup and kudos for doing something original.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks for sharing... sounds like a great mod
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for sharing....let us know how things work out for you
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Nice work. That's a lot of money to fork over to get it done though. I think this is one mod I can resist doing.
Yeah -- I'd agree its probaly not the best bang-for-the-buck mod out there. However, for a TSX owner that already has R/I/H, the next mods are pretty expensive. In my opinion, this was better valued than buying a cat-back that would give me 1 hp.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Wowsers.....nice work my man. What a great mod.
You might have to help me out shooting the video. Let me know if you're free this week.

Which reminds me -- I asked the guy who did the install (Josh from clubrsx.com aka 'drivetofast') how my 2nd gear looked and he said, "Looked like you grinded her a few times."

I immediately thought of that run with you in the car where I grinded the crap out of 2nd gear.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice job on the mod! I would have to test drive it before considering doing something similar. Let me know whenever you are in town.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:08 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by JTso
Nice job on the mod! I would have to test drive it before considering doing something similar. Let me know whenever you are in town.
Only if you were closer. Your ride is definately one of the most I'm interested in here on AZ.

Actually, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm not too sure how the speedo works on the TSX. Although Josh had explained it to me, I lost him. I've read that the TSX uses a digital signal from a pickup sensor which is read from 3rd gear. If I remember correctly, the 3rd gear is tied to a speedo gear, right? Since 3rd is spinning much faster now, my MPH is reading higher.

Do you have a suggestion to correct this? Would K-pro help if/when it's available?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Just dial 1911

If I shift at 7300, 1-2 for me drops me right to 5000. With Hondata, wouldnt that still keep you on the higher cam?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Only if you were closer. Your ride is definately one of the most I'm interested in here on AZ.

Actually, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'm not too sure how the speedo works on the TSX. Although Josh had explained it to me, I lost him. I've read that the TSX uses a digital signal from a pickup sensor which is read from 3rd gear. If I remember correctly, the 3rd gear is tied to a speedo gear, right? Since 3rd is spinning much faster now, my MPH is reading higher.

Do you have a suggestion to correct this? Would K-pro help if/when it's available?
The TSX has a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) to determine the speed. The different gear ratio certainly will affect the rpm but don't see how it would affect the actual speed reading though. You can put the gear in neutral while coasting and the speedometer should still register the correct road speed. I have to look it up later...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by joerockt
If I shift at 7300, 1-2 for me drops me right to 5000. With Hondata, wouldnt that still keep you on the higher cam?
For me too, but I have to almost powershift to get it done. With my driving style, there are times where I want to ease it into gear at high RPM. When you do that, it WILL drop you off in an area of the RPM band where it really has the chug back up to 5000 RPMs. With the new ratios, you land back into vtec every single time and it really makes a more spirited/sporty driving experience.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Just dial 1911

...ease it into gear at high RPM.
Those words are foreign to me

Intresting. So your saying if you shift at 7K now at a moderate shift, you end up at 5200K? Im trying to grasp how engine speed drop off has anything to do with gearing once the clutch is depressed?

Edit: Oh, and im not trying to be an ass Just want to understand how this works...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:51 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Black_6spd, so are you planning on coming to the Redline event next month at Streets of Willow? Do you need an instructor? I'll be very very happy to help you.......so that I can try out the new gears.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is a gear that reads speed, wouldn't a simple transplant from an RSX into the TSX be the solution?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:40 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by moda_way
If there is a gear that reads speed, wouldn't a simple transplant from an RSX into the TSX be the solution?
Just a guess, but I would think the signal would be conditioned for an RSX cluster. I'm going to spend some time over at K20a.org where swapping gears happens as often as one of us buying a tank of gas.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:46 PM
VSA Rocks

Those words are foreign to me

Intresting. So your saying if you shift at 7K now at a moderate shift, you end up at 5200K? Im trying to grasp how engine speed drop off has anything to do with gearing once the clutch is depressed?

Edit: Oh, and im not trying to be an ass Just want to understand how this works...
You're not trying to be an ass.... you're trying to be a Fucktard.

Since I usually let go of the gas when shifting, the revs go back down probaly around 300 or so RPMs. For example, before I had the gearing done, shifting at reflash cutoff of 7600 RPM would be really like shifting at 7300 RPMs. There were instances where I'd do this and land only at 4600 RPMs or so. There are a bunch of other reflashed members complaining of this same drastic dropoff.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by vwong
Black_6spd, so are you planning on coming to the Redline event next month at Streets of Willow? Do you need an instructor? I'll be very very happy to help you.......so that I can try out the new gears.

LOL. Where are you in SoCal? I'm in N. Orange County near Fullerton.

The event is sounding very tempting. I'm going to check how full the event is.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Have camera, will travel

Ballsy mod dude!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Just dial 1911

You're not trying to be an ass.... you're trying to be a Fucktard.

Since I usually let go of the gas when shifting, the revs go back down probaly around 300 or so RPMs. For example, before I had the gearing done, shifting at reflash cutoff of 7600 RPM would be really like shifting at 7300 RPMs. There were instances where I'd do this and land only at 4600 RPMs or so. There are a bunch of other reflashed members complaining of this same drastic dropoff.
Ok, I see, I think you meant 3000 right?. However I still dont get how gearing affects engine braking/winding down after the clutch is disengaged. Does the reflash make the engine spin down faster then stock?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

If I ever do a clutch flywheel I'm definately doing this, thanks for the writeup
Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 PM
VSA Rocks

Ok, I see, I think you meant 3000 right?. However I still dont get how gearing affects engine braking/winding down after the clutch is disengaged. Does the reflash make the engine spin down faster then stock?
Sorry for the confusion. Other reflashed members were expecting the new 5000 RPM crossover point would translate into being able to land vtec consistently during the 1-2 upshift. Due to the long 2nd gear, you really have to go near the new cutoff point of 7600 RPMs. By that time, the torque has already dropped off considerably.

I don't think the gears affect engine braking either. You simply land back on a higher RPM due to the new ratio. I was simply refering to the engine braking that takes place when you let go of the gas when you upshift compared to "holding" the RPMs when you powershift.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

(i can't read, Black_6spd's response is correct and my original was wrong)

NB: according to my calculations, with our stock gears the target RPM with Hondata would be 7600 * 1.88 / 3.266 = 4375, which would be lowcam even with Hondata, whereas target RPM with new gears would be 7600 * 2.13 / 3.266 = 4957 which is high cam
Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
LOL. Where are you in SoCal? I'm in N. Orange County near Fullerton.

The event is sounding very tempting. I'm going to check how full the event is.
I'm in West Covina. The event is pretty empty right now (entry list), so go sign up here.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Racer

I was wondering when someone was gonna do this
I have been looking into this for some time now, but my car is so new that I don´t want to go into things like the trans or the engine just yet.
but this will definetely be on my top list when I start modding.
keep up the good work and good write up
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Racer

also where did you buy the gears from?
and how much were they, just the parts?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
VSA Rocks

I got the parts through a local Honda Mechanic who does installs on the side for people at clubrsx.com. It ran me around $500 for the syncros and gears.

I definately would recommend this mod to those looking to make the TSX more of a race-oriented car. If you're the type who shifts at low RPM the majority of the time, this isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Racer

I got the parts through a local Honda Mechanic who does installs on the side for people at clubrsx.com. It ran me around $500 for the syncros and gears.

I definately would recommend this mod to those looking to make the TSX more of a race-oriented car. If you're the type who shifts at low RPM the majority of the time, this isn't for you.

did you have to change the syncros for this to work?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Black_6spd,

So how does the TSX feel with the new gears? Does it feel faster? By a lot?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by jlukja
Black_6spd,

So how does the TSX feel with the new gears? Does it feel faster? By a lot?
The car feels just awesome. No other mod I have on my TSX can compare. The car literally behaves much different now and just dares you to make her scream. For cruising situations, low RPM shifting is much more enhanced.

Even when the wifey took it for a spin on Saturday night she was impressed. And she usually gives me a hard time about my mods saying things like, "You paid $300 to just make you car louder," (shortly after I installed my CAI.)

As far as gas mileage goes, I'll keep everyone posted. I really can't make a comparo right now because I've been driving it like I stole it for the last 2 days, but I was still able to get 310 miles out of 14 gallons. Also, keep in mind my odometer spin about 8-10% faster from the new speedo error.

Although I think this mod has been the best to-date for my TSX, I wouldn't recommend it without I/H/R. I could easily imagine a stock 6000 RPM vtec crossover killing the fun.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Drives With Hands

Very interesting about the VSS error. Normally, it's just an encoder located somewhere on the driveline, like the transmission's output shaft. Thus it would not be affected by changing gear ratios. I guess it isn't like that on the TSX. Maybe the ECU conflates driveshaft RPM with engine RPM and uses a ratio thereof to derive vehicle speed?

It would be a programming issue in any case, as the speedo is electronically controlled. Maybe Hondata knows?

Sweet mod anyway.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Racer

what are the parts that I need to do this swap.
countershart? mainshaft? do you have a list of all the items?
thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
VSA Rocks

I had bought the RSX-S 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. However, he had alot of the other misc parts laying around from his past tranny jobs. Beyond the gears, I lost track of what else he swapped out.

You could PM him on the K20a.org or clubRSX.com boards. His SN is 'drivetofast'.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
VSA Rocks

Update:

After filling up last weekend, I was able to observe my first tank with the new tranny. I got 340 miles / 13.2 gallons = 25.7 MPG! Keep in mind I have some speedo error.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Not bad
Old 06-22-2006, 01:01 PM
VSA Rocks

What are you getting these days with your SC'd beast? I think you did a comparo with the 2006, right?

I wonder how I'd do against an SC'd 5AT.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm probably at around the same as you MPG wise if I drive normally, about 25-25.5 mpg. I've gotten a little over 26 mpg before. If I drive it hard I get about 22-24 mpg.

I was actually down in Socal this last weekend for my sister's graduation. We had the parents SUV though