Review: Brockway R920 Racer Data Display - ODBII

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Review: Brockway R920 Racer Data Display - ODBII

After getting my Supercharger, I was looking for a way to monitor my Air/Fuel ratio. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't running lean anywhere. After a recommendation from Rmpage, I purchased the Brockway Engineering R920. This is a standalone display that plugs into the ODBII port underneath the dash and gives you real time readings from your ECU.

Install: What's nice is that it gets all of it's power from the ODBII port, so I didn't have to worry about running any extra wiring. The ODBII port on the TSX is located on the left side underneath the dash, just above where the hood release is. The install only took me about 20 minutes. That includes hiding the wires and doing the mount too. I mounted it using a couple of small high stick velcro squares. This allows me to take it off and hide it if I need to.

Sensors: After using it for about 1 week now, I'm really enjoying. It's very useful in helping me monitor things as I drive around. I've notice that my A/F ratio is pretty close to ideal. I'm close to 14.7 most of the time and run at close to 12.0 when I'm at WOT. What's cool is that the display actually does a whole lot more. It also monitors the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature), IAT (Intake Air Temperature), MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), MAF (Mass Air Flow), Battery voltage, and Vehicle speed sensor. An interesting thing that I've noticed is that the Intake air tempature with the Icebox is actually really close to what the TSX dash reads as the temperature outside. Sometimes it becomes about 2 degrees higher, but that's about it. It makes me wonder how much colder the air that a CAI gives you actually is. I'll have to test this out later, especially in the summer when it gets really hot.

Displays: The R920 has 8 different display modes including one that you can customize. I really like how it gives you a display that allows you to pick what you want to see. For the customized display I usually run with my A/F ratio and the throttle position. The other 7 displays show various sensors. A couple of the other display modes are RPM/AF ratio, ECT/IAT, RPM/RPM Bar guage, RPM/MAP, 0-60 time. I included some pics below of the modes that I use the most. I'll try to get a video up later of me doing a run with the guage on.

Extras:
The R920 can read and clear CELs (Check Engine Lights) aka DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). This is a cool feature to have in case my Random Tech High Flow Cat throws a CEL. So far, I have gotten one

The R920 can also check 0-60 times. With all of the rain we have had lately, I haven't gotten a chance to check out my 0-60 times but I will do it soon! The time is calculated based on the VSS signal from the ECU so it should be accurate. This is an add on module that I had to purchase with it though.

Another add on module is an external shift light. This is also pretty cool, because I can set the light to go on at whatever RPM that I want it too. I think I have it set at about 6500 RPMs right now. This allows to just enough time to see the light and shift before I hit the rev limiter. It's pretty fun using this because it allows me to always get my shifts perfect. I mounted it right above the A-pillar, close to the windshield.

Overall, I'm very happy with this mod. It helps to give me peace of mind that my SC is running well, and that alone makes it worth it to me. I really was just looking for something that would monitor the air/fuel ratio, but having all of these other features is a nice bonus.
Special thanks again to Rmpage, for recommending this to me. He helped me a lot via PM with my questions

I got mine here:
http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv...Category_Code=

More info:
http://brockwayengineering.com/r920.html
Old 03-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice write-up!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice toy! Now go do some 0-60 runs!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nice mod, looks like it will come in handy.

:patientlyawaiting0-60times:
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds good!! All the add ons sounds mighty tastey!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WoW~~ nice device... How close is your car to perfect??
Old 03-14-2006, 03:34 PM
yup.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds almost perfect...just needs fuel press.

I think you sold me on it, though...

(what's the little gold thing in the pic??)
Old 03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kangjin

I think you sold me on it, though...

(what's the little gold thing in the pic??)
Me too!

And yeah what is the gold thingy on your lower dash?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,556 Posts
maybe i will get one, but its not jdm
Old 03-14-2006, 07:52 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Post some pics of the mount and how and where you hid the wires, etc..
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Haha...I'll try to do a 0-60 run soon. Not making any promises though. I probably won't be doing any crazy type of launches. My car's my daily driver and the tires are already starting to go. You guys think that my 18's will slow me down a lot compared to my OEMs?

Originally Posted by chuson
WoW~~ nice device... How close is your car to perfect??
Kinda confused as to what your asking? Are you asking about the accuracy of the readings?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

The gold thing in the pic is the controller for my Nokia Bluetooth phone kit.
The black knob is the bass knob for my amp so I can adjust the subwoofer volume.

Yeah it doesn't do fuel pressure. I wonder if I can try to email the manufacturer and ask them if this is something they can add. I heard that the firmware on this unit is upgradeable and when I read about the R920 on Clubrsx then it sounded like the developer was pretty open to feedback and adding functionality.

Another thing I just noticed is that it doesn't display the proper MAP reading if you have an SC. If you are not boosted your fine though. I just talked to Comptech about this and they said it's because they send the ECU a false reading when the boost kicks in so that the ECU doesn't throw a CEL. The boost PSI tops out at 0.5 PSI. I read on the Brockway website that there is suppose to be an external MAP sensor soon. I'll have to ask them about this when I ask about the fuel pressure.

One last thing I should note is that the TPS sensor's range is from 14%-78%. 78%=WOT. Not really a big deal to me though as long as I just have something to help me guage how much I'm on the throttle and know the lowest/highest points. I actually already knew this before I bought it based on some posts by Rmpage. I also read that JTso's reading from the ODBII port was the same.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Oh, please please please do a 0-60 test!! :-P
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Im not familiar with these but this looks kinda big. A little screen with a whole lot of plastic. It kinda looks oversized. But sweet features!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Got Phó?

0-60....pleASE~!!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Tsx536, I looked up the manual online. Does the shift light work only on Screen Mode 2?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Haha...I'll try to do a 0-60 run soon. Not making any promises though. I probably won't be doing any crazy type of launches. My car's my daily driver and the tires are already starting to go. You guys think that my 18's will slow me down a lot compared to my OEMs?

Kinda confused as to what your asking? Are you asking about the accuracy of the readings?
I mean your car is pretty close to PERFECT in performance wise.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you and your 0-60 times Kenny? You've been gone too long. It should only take you 6.x seconds. :impatient:
Old 03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by David Muny
Tsx536, I looked up the manual online. Does the shift light work only on Screen Mode 2?
The shift light works in Mode 2 (RPM, VSS displayed) and also Mode 4 (RPM, A/F). I usually always have the unit in Mode 4. It has two stage shift points. I can set a certain speed. And set shift 1 and shift 2. If I'm under a certain SET speed it will use shift 1, and if I'm over the SET speed it uses shift point 2.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by chuson
I mean your car is pretty close to PERFECT in performance wise.
Haha. Oh okay. Thanks

My car is far from perfect though. There are some much nicer TSXs on the board. Thanks for the compliment though
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by jlukja
Where are you and your 0-60 times Kenny? You've been gone too long. It should only take you 6.x seconds. :impatient:
Haha. Haven't done a run yet. The weather around here has been crazy. Last night driving home from work, I ran into a bunch of sleet, hail, and light snow. For those that are familiar with the Central Valley, we never have that kind of weather here! It was just plain weird. Many people don't know how to drive in that kind of weather and some cars were losing control.

When the weather gets better I will definitely try. I don't think I can hit under 7 seconds, but we'll see. My car is wayed down with a lot of electronics and I'm sure that doesn't help I remember one member hitting under 7 with his Passport G-Meter. Not to put down his time, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. It would be great if I could find someone to do a baseline run using a device that also reads from the VSS signal. Any volunteers?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Racer

Thats a bargain for everything that it does. Nice find!!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Instructor

I remember one member hitting under 7 with his Passport G-Meter. Not to put down his time, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Haha that was me. I'm not sure how accurate it was either. But now I'm running 5.5s. Thats because I got a 350z though.

I'm so excited to find out how much your 0-60 times changes with the super..
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Drives With Hands

You can see it alright over there? I was going to put mine there but when I tried it, it was tough for me to see while driving.

Looks good in any case. It is a neat little tool.

Edit: Neither MAF nor TPS will be correct, as the TSX doesn't have a MAF sensor and the R920 doesn't read DBW TPS correctly...neither of which will be a problem for you though.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
boost = TSX's best friend

When you ordered the unit, did it come with everything to do the complete install or did you need to purchase any other parts to make it work, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by rmpage
You can see it alright over there? I was going to put mine there but when I tried it, it was tough for me to see while driving.
Yeah I can see it pretty good over there. I tried to put in one pic that showed the actual view from the driver seat. I can see the left side of the screen well, and since most of the info is aligned to the left it works out great. I tried to look for other mounting positions and this was the best. Just like you, my storage bin has a stereo, so that option was thrown out. I also considered up in front of the clock, but then realized that I wouldn't be able to hide the wires as nicely as I would have liked. After using it for awhile, I'm glad I picked that spot though.

As for TSX2345 and JDMCL9T questions. The shift light and 0-60 module are seperate add-ons. The kit comes with the harness, but not mounting material. For the mount I just went to Michaels Arts/Crafts, and picked up some grey high stick velcro that is designed to stock to porous material. Cost 3.99. I then cut two .75 x .75 inch squares and put them on each side of the bottom back edge of the R920. Then I just attached it to the grey part of the dash, just under the aluminum trim. Then I ran the wiring by removing the panel underneath the steering column. I only had to remove one screw. I plugged into into the ODBII port and shoved all the wiring up in the hole around that area. That's about it! Let me know if you need more info.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by kangjin
Here's the response I got back from Brockway:

Originally Posted by Brockway Engineering
Not all vehicles support fuel pressure diagnostics. I don't believe
K-series engines do but I could be wrong about the TSX.
Our 2002 RSX Type-S test vehicle did not. If you know for sure that the
TSX does support fuel pressure diagnostics, then let
us know and we will look into adding this feature in a future software
release.

We will let you know as soon as we have a MAP sensor ready.
Does anyone know if the TSX supports fuel pressure diagnostics?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Does anyone know if the TSX supports fuel pressure diagnostics?
Bump. Anyone happen to know if the fuel pressure can be read from the ODBII port?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't remember seeing it for the TSX.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by JTso
I don't remember seeing it for the TSX.
Thanks Johnny.
So you don't get it with your new ODBII PDA software?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Johnny.
So you don't get it with your new ODBII PDA software?
I don't believe Honda has a fuel pressure sensor anywhere in the fuel system. Additionally, we can only retrieve generic OBD2 data from the TSX and most Hondas. However, the scan tool could read more specific data from other cars.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Cruisin'

Would that fit in the compartment directly below radio and a/c?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:28 PM

Tsx536 how has this been working for you cause I am thinking of getting one. also how long is the cable cause I want to mount if fairly high up on the windshield along the a pillar.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Tsx536 how has this been working for you cause I am thinking of getting one. also how long is the cable cause I want to mount if fairly high up on the windshield along the a pillar.
If you mount it there, you'd better find a way to disable the air bag or you'll have a R920 permanently lodged in your skull during a collision.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 PM

If you mount it there, you'd better find a way to disable the air bag or you'll have a R920 permanently lodged in your skull during a collision.
well I wasnt going to mount it to the a pillar but I want to mount it againts the windshield right in that corner at the top.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Drives With Hands

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. You should get one. They're very handy and I love mine. Take pics if/when you do.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. You should get one. They're very handy and I love mine. Take pics if/when you do.
do you think with it mounted in that location that it would be an issue with the airbag at all. also is the cable long enough to get there still.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Drives With Hands

No and yes. The air bag deploys downward toward your face, and if you keep the R920 well away from the panel covering the bag, I would think it would be OK. Also, the R920's default cable is like six feet long so that won't be a problem.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

What color is your display...green or blue?

How long did the whole install take you?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Also, what color is the shift light LED?

On the Brockway website, it says it's yellow, but from your pic it looks orange/amber.

Quick Reply: Review: Brockway R920 Racer Data Display - ODBII