Resonator....reinstall?!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator....reinstall?!??

I changed out my front brake pads yesterday and while I had the front drivers wheel off I decided to put the resonator back on the car. It was serious pain in the ass getting the jpipe back connected to the tube that drops down from behind the headlight but now that it's back I have to say I'm really enjoying the quietness. At full throttle I think there is less power on tap, but i feel the car responds a lot better at partial throttle. In fact this brings up an interesting observation i've had along the way. In the range from icebox -> stock no resonator -> all stock I think there is at trend of better power at full throttle, but worst responsiveness at partial throttle. It make some sense as to create best top end flow you will necessarily sacrifice intake air velocity at the low end/part throttle due to the bigger piping.

I'll post some more driving throughts once I get time to rack up a few more miles.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by TinkySD
I changed out my front brake pads yesterday and while I had the front drivers wheel off I decided to put the resonator back on the car. It was serious pain in the ass getting the jpipe back connected to the tube that drops down from behind the headlight but now that it's back I have to say I'm really enjoying the quietness. At full throttle I think there is less power on tap, but i feel the car responds a lot better at partial throttle. In fact this brings up an interesting observation i've had along the way. In the range from icebox -> stock no resonator -> all stock I think there is at trend of better power at full throttle, but worst responsiveness at partial throttle. It make some sense as to create best top end flow you will necessarily sacrifice intake air velocity at the low end/part throttle due to the bigger piping.

I'll post some more driving throughts once I get time to rack up a few more miles.
First off, I've been considering a CAI so I am in no way against running a non-stock intake.

IMO, getting absolute most hp possible at WOT is ideal for racing but for day-to-day driving (even for us spirited drivers), having to lose some partial throttle grunt is a bit annoying. That's why Hondata is so good!!! I want Hondata... works for '05 ECU yet???
Old 05-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should you ever have to take your car in to Acura for service, would you recommend putting the resonator back on??
Old 05-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
TinkySD, you could try replacing the stock J elbow behind the headlight with a flex tube and direct it toward the front or bottom of the car for some cooler air. You can get the flex tube from stores that sell shop vacs and they come in different dia.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

ive noticed that too, yesterday comming outa of a parking lot, i had 2 others in the car so a bit more added weight than ususal, and i guess i didnt floor it. i needed to get going quick but i didnt need to rip on the rubber either, but i had a good 4 second pause, which really didnt help. really made me think that i should either buy the CAI or put that box back in.

do you guys with cai have that pause at say 3/4 throttle from an almost stopped position or cruising in second going pretty slow, about 10 mph and then go from no throttle to 3/4 do you get that pause?
wheres the torque?!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
ive noticed that too, yesterday comming outa of a parking lot, i had 2 others in the car so a bit more added weight than ususal, and i guess i didnt floor it. i needed to get going quick but i didnt need to rip on the rubber either, but i had a good 4 second pause, which really didnt help. really made me think that i should either buy the CAI or put that box back in.

do you guys with cai have that pause at say 3/4 throttle from an almost stopped position or cruising in second going pretty slow, about 10 mph and then go from no throttle to 3/4 do you get that pause?
wheres the torque?!
I definitely noticed that too, thankfully, having the icebox I had the lower airhorn on the bottom of the stock box which increased the intake tract length and alleviated most of that problem. I think with jsut removing the resonator the stock box has more access to air, but it has no real organization to the flow and lower intake air velocity. I have to say after driving more the car definitely feels like it has more kick in everything but the highest rpms. I'm sure it is probably slower in absolute terms, but it feels like you odn't need to flog it quite as hard to get going, coupled with the quietness which gives the impression that it is quicker stock. Either way i'm happy that I but the resonator back on. Hopefully it doesn't change my gase mileage too much because I was getting very good mileage!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

yah, well its just those few times yakno, and i really should flog it hard then i guess. the noise doesnt bother me either, i sometimes prefer it when i need to flog it so i know shes getting it hard.... but
id like to know if u have that hesitation with a CAI.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:27 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i sometimes prefer it when i need to flog it so i know shes getting it hard
Anyone looking for a sig quote?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Racer

if you look at the comptech icebox dyno graph, it shows no hp lost. maintains the power and adds a bit more at the top. so i guess maybe the bigger intake box and the tube helps compared to the removing of the res and tube.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

well its not really the power thats decreased, its more or less the powers not there for a few seconds, i mean it is a large box that needs to be pressureized
Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
well its not really the power thats decreased, its more or less the powers not there for a few seconds, i mean it is a large box that needs to be pressureized
It's not pressurized, it's operating under a slight vacuum.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Got Phó?

Injen CAI, can't go wrong!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Got Milk???

getting my Injen CAI this wednesday. oddly, i'm already getting slight hesitation on throttle w/ just resonator removed

-KC
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 AM
aka davo-tsx

No hesitation with the icebox here. If anything, the throttle is a fraction more sensitive.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

true, well isnt the icebox using the resonator? im not too familliar with it. so no hesitation with CAI, what about SRI
Old 05-16-2005, 03:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So, did you manage to break anything while putting it back in?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Does the skin on my knuckles count?

Hey... you and mini-dom have the same haircut!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
aka davo-tsx

true, well isnt the icebox using the resonator? im not too familliar with it. so no hesitation with CAI, what about SRI
No, the stock resonator is removed and a tube with an airhorn shaped intake goes from the airbox to right behind the fog light covers.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
aka davo-tsx

This gives you an idea of how large the intake opening is for the icebox.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

and why dont u notice that pause that i do? (i have stock minus resonator n snorkel) my intake pipe is juts a bit smaller than that
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
aka davo-tsx

and why dont u notice that pause that i do? (i have stock minus resonator n snorkel) my intake pipe is juts a bit smaller than that
What filter are you using (stock, k&n, Comptech-unifilter)? That may make a difference with the stock airbox not being able to handle all the air that's trying to be sucked through it.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the stock filter installed, im not sure what milege i need a new one but i think i might just replace the whole thing with a CAI once the time comes. unless this icebox thing works better
Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

During installation of my Icebox the seal which connects the short tube to the airbox lid broke. The lid consists of two pieces, the lid itself and a short tube that's inserted into it. This tube is pushed into the stock intake hose.

I returned it to Comptech and they replaced it. After a couple of weeks I noticed the same seal was broken again. I returned it to Comptech and they returned one with two rivets holding the tube to the lid. I spoke to their customer service dept. letting them know of my dissatisfaction with their band-aid solution and they returned my money.

WARNING: Check the seal. If it's borken unfiltered air will enter your engine.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
aka davo-tsx

^

Did you take the spring off the intake hose when you installed it? It is not required when you use the icebox lid. That could be the cause of your problems.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davo-cls
^

Did you take the spring off the intake hose when you installed it? It is not required when you use the icebox lid. That could be the cause of your problems.

Yes.