random technology stainless steel cat for tsx *pics inside*

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here is my story.... long read

~3 weeks ago - Installed Comptech Header
Install went smoothly, but I had a slight vibration (possibly rattle) right at idle. I rechecked and torqued everything but the vibration persisted. The weather turned cold (15-20) for a few days and this made the vibration worse. I did not notice any noise increase from the header.

Weekend
Installed the NAPA exhaust hangers and noticed that right at the resonator, the Comptech exhaust has a long hanger. When the exhaust "moves" under load, I think this hanger would contact part of the car. After installing the new hangers, the vibration diminished, but was not completely gone.

Today
I installed the RTC. First off, the vibration is 100% gone now, so I am not sure what to think about that. Second, I have a raspy exhaust note now. IMO, it borders on obnoxious. My wife commented that it was worse than when I put on the Comptech exhaust. I also have the Comptech Intake, and after the RTC install, you no longer here any induction noise period. It is that loud.

After the car cooled off, I checked my work again, and just do not see how the RTC could be leaking. So I went to a regular automotive shop down from the house, and the tech reluctantly said, "looks like your flex pipe might be leaking, but not sure." In addition he said that the RTC appeared to be sealed very well. IMO, he did not know what was leaking or if there was a leak.

I find it hard to believe the header has a problem. However, reputable sources here say the RTC should not be louder, and other reputable sources say their install did make the noise louder. Since some say it is louder, it makes we wonder if my setup is fine. Hell, I do not know what to think.

I have an appt tomorrow at a tuner shop to take a look at my car to get a definitive answer.

I also want to note that is NOT a negative towards the RTC. I just want to know if my setup/install is working correctly.

Suggestions, heckling, profound statements… anyone
Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsclifton

Good right up!! I would say try the quiet tips for when it matters. I use them for a while, then take them out for a while. They do make a major difference.

As for your install success, can't wait to hear what the tuner shop guy has to say. Not much to f'up.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
ABP TSX

Here are some pics:

Old 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Professional Newbie

How many people have agreed that it is louder? and how much louder are we talking here?

I actually want a louder exhaust, I would just need to get some quiet tips for when I am taking a long trip. I HATE the drone on the highway
Old 12-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,555 Posts
god i want that cat
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by JTso
There really shouldn't be noise increase when comparing to the stock CAT. Are you sure there isn't a leak?
Ok, stopped by another local shop and all three techs said NO exhaust leak. They were all impressed with the products (I/H/E/RTC).

I think it is feasible that the noise increases when the RTC is installed in inconjunction with an after market exhaust. Perhaps little to no noise increase is becuase of an OEM exhaust.

Is that reasonable or am I missing something?

Me = Comptech = Louder
Dzuy = Comptech = Louder
Sigmachi96 = OEM = about the same
Old 12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, stopped by another local shop and all three techs said NO exhaust leak. They were all impressed with the products (I/H/E/RTC).

I think it is feasible that the noise increases when the RTC is installed in inconjunction with an after market exhaust. Perhaps little to no noise increase is becuase of an OEM exhaust.

Is that reasonable or am I missing something?

Me = Comptech = Louder
Dzuy = Comptech = Louder
Sigmachi96 = OEM = about the same
^^ That's exactly what I'm thinking too. Everyone that I've heard about who have said there was little to noise sound increase all were running with an OEM exhuast.

I got my Random Tech Cat last week and probably won't install it for a little while (This is our development time at work). I'm running with the exact same setup as Sigmachi. Hondata, Comptech Intake, DC headers, and OEM exhuast. I will let you guys know what I think of the noise increase. I'll also be switching to my Injen intake later, so I'll also let you guys know if that effects the noise level.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll be able to confirm too since I'll have Comptech headers to install with my RT cat and existing Comptech cat back exhaust. I just need to condition myself to freeze my nuts off in order to do this.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Comptech header and Fujitsubo catback on with the OE cat for a while, then when I had my Magnaflow cat made, the exhaust became noticeably louder (barely though). The reduced restriction of the aftermarket catback allows you to hear changes that you make upstream a lot better. With the OE catback, not nearly as much.

Did you try holding the RTC up and looking through it? You can see clearly to the other side. Spun body cats are so well-designed that they offer virtually zero resistance to exhaust gases when compared to monolithic 3-way converters like the factory model or the Magnaflow I had. That straight-shot will make a LOT of difference in exhaust volume...toward the great frontier of loudness.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by moda_way
I'll be able to confirm too since I'll have Comptech headers to install with my RT cat and existing Comptech cat back exhaust. I just need to condition myself to freeze my nuts off in order to do this.

I am sure you will post your results. I am interested in the outcome.

Originally Posted by rmpage
hat straight-shot will make a LOT of difference in exhaust volume...toward the great frontier of loudness.
This is exactly what I am thinking right now. I am sure I will adjust to the sound eventually.

Like moda_way suggested earlier, I am going to order some quiet tips.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Ok, here is my story.... long read

~3 weeks ago - Installed Comptech Header
Install went smoothly, but I had a slight vibration (possibly rattle) right at idle. I rechecked and torqued everything but the vibration persisted. The weather turned cold (15-20) for a few days and this made the vibration worse. I did not notice any noise increase from the header.

Weekend
Installed the NAPA exhaust hangers and noticed that right at the resonator, the Comptech exhaust has a long hanger. When the exhaust "moves" under load, I think this hanger would contact part of the car. After installing the new hangers, the vibration diminished, but was not completely gone.

Today
I installed the RTC. First off, the vibration is 100% gone now, so I am not sure what to think about that. Second, I have a raspy exhaust note now. IMO, it borders on obnoxious. My wife commented that it was worse than when I put on the Comptech exhaust. I also have the Comptech Intake, and after the RTC install, you no longer here any induction noise period. It is that loud.

After the car cooled off, I checked my work again, and just do not see how the RTC could be leaking. So I went to a regular automotive shop down from the house, and the tech reluctantly said, "looks like your flex pipe might be leaking, but not sure." In addition he said that the RTC appeared to be sealed very well. IMO, he did not know what was leaking or if there was a leak.

I find it hard to believe the header has a problem. However, reputable sources here say the RTC should not be louder, and other reputable sources say their install did make the noise louder. Since some say it is louder, it makes we wonder if my setup is fine. Hell, I do not know what to think.

I have an appt tomorrow at a tuner shop to take a look at my car to get a definitive answer.

I also want to note that is NOT a negative towards the RTC. I just want to know if my setup/install is working correctly.

there might be a leak. when i had the a magnaflow cat - my exhuast rattlled. come to find out later that it wasn't installed good and i had an exhuast leak.

after i installed my random tech cat - the exhuast note is def not raspy - it's still clean, and as i have said a million times - my car sounds like a s2000 at full throttle.

good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Drives With Hands

FWIW I still have my Magnaflow bolted on because I've been waiting for Hondata to fix my ECU before strapping the car to a dyno. Hopefully next week I can get that done (need to document the "fixed" reflash, Magnaflow cat and bored TB), then bolt up the RTC and get another pull for another before/after comparison. Maybe I can take videos of each pull or something to compare volumes.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Videos!? That would be awesome
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I am sure you will post your results. I am interested in the outcome.

That is the f'ing BOMB!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by rmpage
FWIW I still have my Magnaflow bolted on because I've been waiting for Hondata to fix my ECU before strapping the car to a dyno. Hopefully next week I can get that done (need to document the "fixed" reflash, Magnaflow cat and bored TB), then bolt up the RTC and get another pull for another before/after comparison. Maybe I can take videos of each pull or something to compare volumes.
Where did you get the reflash from? I want one, but kindle racing isn't selling anymore, so i'm not sure where to order from
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Where did you get the reflash from? I want one, but kindle racing isn't selling anymore, so i'm not sure where to order from
I was going to be like KINDLE RACING!!! but then saw the rest of your post and went oh damn.

Actually I would start looking here: http://hondata.com/dealers.html
Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Racer

All I have is intake. No header or exhaust. I will post if the noise is louder when the nuts and bolts get in. That should be next week.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 PM
ABP TSX

Update

I took my car into Jotech Motorsports. Kenny Tran has been tuning cars I have owned for over 10 years.

The techs put the car on a lift and identified a slight exhaust leak at the back of the RTC.

I have the Comptech Exhaust. The fitment from the exhaust to the RTC uses a donut ring seal. I DID NOT replace this when I installed the RTC. This is the original seal from when the Comptech Exhaust was installed about 2 years ago.

Picture of your standard "donut" ring seal:

What they ended up doing was using (2) standard exhaust gaskets back to back.

This completely cured the raspy exhaust note. Now, the exhaust is slightly louder than before the RTC install. I am happy now.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Glad to hear that you got it fixed! I bet it sounds much better now.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

What they ended up doing was using (2) standard exhaust gaskets back to back.

This completely cured the raspy exhaust note. Now, the exhaust is slightly louder than before the RTC install. I am happy now.

Got a part number or anything you can share just in case?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM
ABP TSX

Got a part number or anything you can share just in case?
Unfortunately ... no, they just had all kinds of various ones (shapes/sizes) in the shop. They even had them for the front of the RTC, but mine was not leaking. I do not think they were OEM parts though.

Sorry, I know that is not much help. I would think most exhaust places would perhaps have them stocked or a tuner shop that knows Honda/Acura.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
JBW

I definitely noticed an increase in exhaust noise with the RT Cat - I have Comptech header, exhaust, and Injen intake - Under normal driving conditions it is not that noticeable but under acceleration it is a different story. I have no exhaust leaks at the cat- I bought new before and after cat gaskets prior to install but due to the roll over on the pipe at flanges they didn't even make a difference. The flip side is that the car is much stronger with the RT cat.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:18 AM

That would be great. If my comptech cat back doesn't have the recess in it, I'll need something. I'm not too keen on just slapping two flat metal surfaces together and calling it sealed from exhaust gases.

Thanks!!
This is what I used. I managed to find it on the site JTso referenced on another thread. It is a Hi-Temp Silicone RTV.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LOC-37467.html
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
This is what I used. I managed to find it on the site JTso referenced on another thread. It is a Hi-Temp Silicone RTV.

Interesting. I'm going to try to see if I can get one of the seals gsclifton got. I'm probably going to have to call around the local muffler shops and ultimately bring the cat in to find one that works. From what I recall, the OEM cat had the recess for the seal when it joins to the post-cat exhaust system.

I a little hesitant to use the loctite stuff because although it can resistent temps at 625F, it does say intermittent and doesn't look like it really is meant for exhausts per se. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but I'd like something that gives that sort of assurance.

Thanks for the linke. That Tool Warehouse place has TONS of great stuff.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the linke. That Tool Warehouse place has TONS of great stuff.
yeah i already got a shopping cart up to 80 of tools to get.

tools + lenses and accessoriers for digital SLR = less funds for jdm parts NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
ABP TSX

I'm going to try to see if I can get one of the seals gsclifton got. I'm probably going to have to call around the local muffler shops and ultimately bring the cat in to find one that works.
I called Jotech today and Kenny said they were made by Turbonetics. I briefly looked at their web site but did not see the specific gasket application. Perhaps everything they produce is not on the online site.

I will try and see if I can get a specific Turbonetics part number this weekend.

EDIT
Well I called Turbonetics and they said they make NO 3 bolt gaskets. The tech said you should be able to get them OEM from Honda/Acura. Shit, I will go back up to Jotech and find out a part number.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM
ABP TSX

Missed the time limit.

EDIT
You might just call up Jotech and see if they will ship you some. Tell them the Gaskets they used on "Greg's Blue TSX".

But, check with Honda first to save the hassle.

Jotech Motorsports
2518 W. Kingsley Road #102
Garland TX 75041
Tel 972-278-9744
Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey

Those Hi-Temp silicone sealant is not meant for exhaust systems... I would use a gasket instead for reliability.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Missed the time limit.

EDIT
You might just call up Jotech and see if they will ship you some. Tell them the Gaskets they used on "Greg's Blue TSX".

But, check with Honda first to save the hassle.

Jotech Motorsports
2518 W. Kingsley Road #102
Garland TX 75041
Tel 972-278-9744

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call up to my local muffler shops and see if they sell something like this. I'm not positive I'll find anything, so atleast I'll know I have a definite source. Since I'm on vacation now, I'm going to need some projects to keep me busy.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro

Hopefully by this weekend.. i'll have my comptech header and random tech cat installed. I have the oem exhaust though.. Do you think I would definitely need those gaskets to get a good seal? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Hopefully by this weekend.. i'll have my comptech header and random tech cat installed. I have the oem exhaust though.. Do you think I would definitely need those gaskets to get a good seal? Thanks.
I think we posted in a thread, but yes. Just a question of where. I'm going to a muffler shop this weekend.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Racer

I think we posted in a thread, but yes. Just a question of where. I'm going to a muffler shop this weekend.
Cool. Let me no where you got the gasket and how many and price. I still havent install mine yet. I dont have any time. But when I have time, I dont have the gaskets. So I really need to get some gaskets so I can install it when I have time. Its just using precious garage space. And the only place that I think the best spot for it is to put it on. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX559
Cool. Let me no where you got the gasket and how many and price. I still havent install mine yet. I dont have any time. But when I have time, I dont have the gaskets. So I really need to get some gaskets so I can install it when I have time. Its just using precious garage space. And the only place that I think the best spot for it is to put it on. Thanks in advance.
Definitely. I have the same issue. Most of my spare time is spent running after my son, oh, and the occassional key mode somebody needs me to do.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Racer

Definitely. I have the same issue. Most of my spare time is spent running after my son, oh, and the occassional key mode somebody needs me to do.

LOL. Same here. But I just close the garage door and let him run around in there and play with his own cars while I try to mod my car. He is only 16 months.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL. Same here. But I just close the garage door and let him run around in there and play with his own cars while I try to mod my car. He is only 16 months.
Mine is a little more than 18 mths and all he wants to do is tear stuff apart... now if I can just teach him how to put it back together!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Racer

Mine is a little more than 18 mths and all he wants to do is tear stuff apart... now if I can just teach him how to put it back together!!!!

Yeah. That will be nice. You can have an assistant to help you with your work. He can probably take over the family business. Theres a lot of TSX's out there that might want a mod key fob.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:12 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Yeah. That will be nice. You can have an assistant to help you with your work. He can probably take over the family business. Theres a lot of TSX's out there that might want a mod key fob.
Mine is four and he's getting into being in the garage with dad, ferrying wrenches and other stuff back and forth. Although every so often, when I'm under the car at some critical modding point, the garage gets very quiet. This is usually bad.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
Mine is four and he's getting into being in the garage with dad, ferrying wrenches and other stuff back and forth. Although every so often, when I'm under the car at some critical modding point, the garage gets very quiet. This is usually bad.
OH yeah. Usually its something sneaky. Better watch out for the wrenches. Make sure he doesnt swing it around and hit the other baby in there. Might get an ugly dent or switch on her.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Computer Nerd

Any of you guys throw codes yet? I've thrown it 3 times in the past two weeks.

It threw 2 days ago, I reset it last night. 30 miles later (I went out again after resetting it) I threw it again. I'm in the bay area and it's kinda cold and moist - that might be why, but I'd by curious to see who else is throwing codes.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro

I've had my cat on for almost two months I believe.. I haven't had a CEL yet. I have the comptech header and stock exhaust.

Quick Reply: random technology stainless steel cat for tsx *pics inside*