Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Got Phó?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!

I need your help! I love my new Injen CAI but my " 45 deg. Molded reducer (3" x 2.75" elbow w/14' sensor grommet) riped! The plastic elbow between the intake manifold and the intake tube. I mistakenly pushed it to hard and the sensor part droped into the intake manifold! I manage to take it out but the plastic ripped! I'm thinking about getting duck tape and taping it until i get my new elbow. I'm gonna e-mail them to see if they can send one out ASAP. Any help would be great!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
I need your help! I love my new Injen CAI but my " 45 deg. Molded reducer (3" x 2.75" elbow w/14' sensor grommet) riped! The plastic elbow between the intake manifold and the intake tube. I mistakenly pushed it to hard and the sensor part droped into the intake manifold! I manage to take it out but the plastic ripped! I'm thinking about getting duck tape and taping it until i get my new elbow. I'm gonna e-mail them to see if they can send one out ASAP. Any help would be great!
Sorry to hear that. If anything I would indeed have the new part ordered. My car is in the body shop, so I can't exactly look at what you're talking about. If all you need is the elbow tube, you can go to Home Depot and get one of their rubber elbow tubes (plumbing isle) and tap what ever holes you need for sensors and/or vacuum lines. You can also look at the ducting isle and they have some aluminum constant radius tubes that you can bend as per your spec. Being that this alum. tubing has "ribs" to keep the constant radius, make sure you use compressed air to blow out any shavings that might have settled from drilling/cutting.

Hope this helps and good luck...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Got Phó?

You think Home Depot elbow tube will with stand the head from the Intake Manifold? I just got done duck taping it. I hope it won't melt off!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 AM
Apex Clipper

You think Home Depot elbow tube will with stand the head from the Intake Manifold? I just got done duck taping it. I hope it won't melt off!
I believe so, though I personally haven't tried. It's a good 1/8+ inch tubing so I think it would be alright. If anything ask a knowledgable worker there and see what kind of heat range it's good to run in. The intake manifold can get hot to the touch, but so can water, so to some degree it can withstand heat. If not, get the aforementioned aluminum tube and pick up a silicone coupler made for intakes/intercoolers and that would definately be good enough...

I never asked, but Home Depot might even have silicone couplers, if not, go to your local tuner shop...

Hope this helps...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:45 AM
Apex Clipper

BTW, I don't know if I'd duct tape it. I remember I fab'd up a ghetto "icebox" for my Integra and the duct tape I used shrunk and the adhesive was barely effective when warm/hot. Though I have a supercharger on there running a DC header with no heat shield, any car will produce pretty significant underhood temps. unless you have a vented hood...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Got Phó?

DAMn, i already did it. I'll take it off tommrow. Man, just hope my Injen don't suck up anything. I'm gonna see how long it will take for them to send me my replacement.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Apex Clipper

DAMn, i already did it. I'll take it off tommrow. Man, just hope my Injen don't suck up anything. I'm gonna see how long it will take for them to send me my replacement.
Do you have a digital camera to post pic's? If I could see it, I might be able to come up with another solution. If not, good luck and try not to drive it unless need be untill the new part arrives.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Got Phó?

You see that black Plastic elbow bottom left conner, between the intake tube and intake manifold....it ripped!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Apex Clipper

Is that a pic with the damage, 'cuz I don't see any. If not, it looks like the rubber tube I saw at home depot would fit perfectly.

Is the whole pipe broken/ripped? If not for a ghetto fix, if you were to use duct tape, I'd wrap the ripped pipe with tin foil, overlapping the the rip by atleast an inch+, a good 5-7 layers, then wrap the duct tape (tight as possible) around said foil. However, like I said, my experience with underhood duct tape weren't that good. Hope this helps...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Apex Clipper

Is that a pic with the damage, 'cuz I don't see any. If not, it looks like the rubber tube I saw at home depot would fit perfectly.

Is the whole pipe broken/ripped? If not, for a ghetto fix, IF... you were to use duct tape, I'd wrap the ripped pipe with tin foil, overlapping the the rip by atleast an inch+, a good 5-7 layers, then wrap the duct tape (tight as possible) around said foil. However, like I said, my experience with underhood duct tape weren't that good. Hope this helps...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Got Phó?

Nah, thats the pic i got from Injen.com. Its like a 2inch ripped. i'm gonna try not to drive it until i get my part, that is going to be hard since the TSX is the only car i have. So the duct tape melted on your "icebox" ? i tape it so nothing could suck into the engine. Ahhh, problems problems......
Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Got Phó?

Ohh yeah, could i drive without that my sensor? The one that connects to the elbow. Thats the problem as well, the sensor part is the ripped part.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Got Phó?

Thanks for your help, i really hope nothing go wrong. Late.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Apex Clipper

Nah, thats the pic i got from Injen.com. Its like a 2inch ripped. i'm gonna try not to drive it until i get my part, that is going to be hard since the TSX is the only car i have. So the duct tape melted on your "icebox" ? i tape it so nothing could suck into the engine. Ahhh, problems problems......
Yup, I have an Apex intake and I cut the stock airbox as little as possible so the Apex filter would fit in it. I mounted the airbox and wherever the filter protruded, I used cut pieces of a plastic wastebasket and riveted them onto the stock ABS plastic of the airbox. I then wrapped the frankenstein box with tinfoil and duct taped it to keep the foil on. After a few runs in the Canyons, the duct tape was shrinking and pulling the strips of tinfoil off, if not melting OFF the tin foil.

If I were you, I'd wrap the rip with foil and wrap the foil with the duct tape, if so, give atleast two-three wraps of the tape so it doesn't melt off...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Apex Clipper

No problem, glad to help out... take care...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just put the stock intake back on but leave out the resonator. Then order the replacement part.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Got Phó?

Yeah, i think thats wut i'm gonna have to do. Damn it!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Got Phó?

You think you stock elbow will fit around the Injen intake tube?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by JTso
Just put the stock intake back on but leave out the resonator. Then order the replacement part.
So simple... yet effective. Good call, I didn't even think of that.

Drunken', you won't know if it'll fit unless you try it...

Give it a shot...
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Got Phó?

ALrite, after a day driving around town.....Rev my engine a "couple" of times( i had to let my friends hear my CAI! ) The duct tape and zip ties works great! Man, everytime i push on the gas...i get scared unitl i park and check out the CAI, and it was all good. Two days of fun with the CAI, gotta stop pushing the car so hard until i get my replacement soon. Thanks for the help guys.