Performance parts from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:56 AM
cmf
ATCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance parts from Japan

Decided to post in this part of the forums due to more people reading in this section........

To my point.........While ordering parts from Japan, does it matter which chasis I am buying parts for? The CL9 has the K24 in it and the CL7 has the K20.....other than the engine difference, what else could be different with the two vehicles.....both Accords in Japan, but one obviously the Euro-R (CL7)

Basically does it make a difference before I start forking over cash to these guys for parts that won't fit!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 AM
1st Gear

I have a CL7 and have been ordering some TSX parts. Namely the Comptech cold air intake, rear sway bar, short shift. I have fitted a set of Koni Sport with the same part number as the one JTso posted.

Cosmetic differences aside it seems identical. The 100 kg extra the TSX carries around may have some bearing on the spring and damper rates but the parts will fit.

The Tien Flex coil overs recently added to the TSX list is the same part number as mine.

Of course Honda does surprise us once in a while but it wont make economic sense (for Honda) that there are too many differences in the running gear where most commonality will/should exist. It would make sense that to differentiate the various markets and models there are mainly plastic mouldable parts rather than actual sheetmetal changes which is costly.

I'd say if you are asking about brakes, they should fit.

Hope you are aware there is another engine variant, a standard 2-litre Accord. That will have different brakes.

Also pollution emission standards will vary no doubt but only if you care for that.

AL
Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
cmf
ATCer

Namely the brakes, yes...thanks for the help by the way......other parts are available for the CL7 by Spoon...ie: sway bars, and earthing kit...but I don't want to place an order for Euro-R parts and them not fit. I'm guessing based off what you're telling me though, it should all work just fine then.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Advanced

As for the Spoon rear sway bar, it will fit as I have already installed the Comptech bar already without a problem.

The brakes are a very common part among Hondas. The 300mm fronts are found in a number of cars that share the Accord platform. I believe they are used in all current Accords, JDM Odyssey(Oasis or Shuttle in other markets) and Legend (RL)(and I assume TL and US Odyssey too). However the Civic based cars, including the RSX or DC5, JDM Stream have different brakes. Someone here has desperately tried to put a DC5 set of Brembos onto his CL7 but its too much of a mod.

Even the twin pot caliper of the NSX will fit as a direct bolt on part on the CL7. Different pads tho and different disc.

Note: there is a small difference (1mm) in the disc hub between old CL1 and CL7 and I assume there is a slight difference between current and previous generation Accords too. So careful that the parts are meant for current generation Accords.

Good luck with your selection. Will inform you of any new info.

AL
Old 05-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

ask the guys at AJ Racing, as they have access to a ton of JDM/Spoon parts and fit most of them on InspireS car. He has Spoon 4pot Monoblock calipers on his car.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:53 AM
cmf
ATCer

Al8818-- Thanks for the help and info, much appreciated.

AJ-racing doesn't get any parts any quicker than most shops here in the US..... Spoon has several products on the market that even AJ racing can't acquire right now....The best thing is to have a connection in Japan.
Most of the responses I get back from importers like Mackin Ind, Spoon US...is that they need to test fit prior to sales.
My thing is the shit will work, so supply me...
Anyways, I was in a toss up between the Project Mu rotors and the Mugen rotors...thinking Project Mu though
Right now I don't have the dough to get calipers...back burner for now, but good rotors and pads will be nice for the ride and a bonus for shows!
Thanks for the info and help guys!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced

cmf,

I have not changed the rotors yet as they have stood up to the abuse better than expected. The Titan Kai pads are great pads as their coefficient of friction is more than double that of normal or standard pads.

i.e. they will produce equal stops at less than half the pedal pressure. There is less pressure on the pads and less bending in the calipers for any given stop compared to stock pads. That however does not mean half the wear rate as they seem pretty aggressive on the rotors. So I soon will need a rotor set and Project Mu SCR pure plus may be it.

IMHO, unless on a race circuit, slotted and cross drilled rotors are excessive and more for street cred. They increase pad wear and durability suffers. Looks damn good tho. Properly bedded in rotros and pads with high temp tolerance is what is really needed.

Sometimes I cant help wishing for a bright red something to fill up the huge gap between the puny rotor and rim. But I know unless its a proper kit where the caliper piston area is calculated to match the balance of the standard set-up, I am gonna screw up brake bias/balance and add unpsrung weight to each corner.

We have a Formula One circuit about 300 km North of here called Sepang F1 Circuit. We have regualr track days where the "trackkies" go do their thing. Brake fade is a problem on standard pads but not the Titan Kai, even with standard rotors.

So if you are interested to have really good brake bite, just get a set of front Titan Kai pads. (or other high grip high temp pads) Lotsa dust tho until it beds in and transfers pad material onto the rotors.

If you want outstanding pedal feel and firmness(especially on a track) get a steel braided teflon brake hose. (a MUST have) Can't begin to tell you what a difference this swap made even when the standard hoses were practically brand new.

AL
Old 05-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Re: Performance parts from Japan

Originally posted by cmf
Decided to post in this part of the forums due to more people reading in this section........

To my point.........While ordering parts from Japan, does it matter which chasis I am buying parts for? The CL9 has the K24 in it and the CL7 has the K20.....other than the engine difference, what else could be different with the two vehicles.....both Accords in Japan, but one obviously the Euro-R (CL7)

Basically does it make a difference before I start forking over cash to these guys for parts that won't fit!

Thanks in advance!
i noticed that you ordered the spoon strut bar? hmm, a shop that i asked said that it wouldn't fit the tsx...

and as far as spoon exhaust, the guys over at jdmeast.com (local spoon rep) said that it would not fit as well...so yea, i would make sure things fit before i buy them.

do you have any pics of your car with the advan wheels? i'm surprised you didn't get work wheels, you seem to be into the spoon theme.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
cmf
ATCer

Got the info on parts through the US distibutor for Spoon...Opak racing...I'm sure they wouldn't tell me wrong, especially being the sole "authorized" import company for Spoon.....
Guess only time will tell!