OEM Fog Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 01:02 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OEM Fog Light Installation - Dial-Up Beware

I bought the kit from a board member here ($210 + shipping) and did the install myself yesterday. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish. I have installed the OEM lights before on a '95 Civic, '97 and 2000 Accord, and now the TSX. The dealer quoted me $320 (4 hours or labor) JUST for the installation at the dealer, so I said I could do this myself. BUT, I know where the cost comes from because the install is somewhat involved.

Full OEM Install Instructions here

Irritation Number One
The bumper took the longest time to remove from the car as I was being very careful not to scratch anything. Removing those damn "snap" clips was very annoying especially the ones under the bumper. However, installing/assembling the actual light housing was very straightforward and required no cutting or modification. This was by far the easiest part of the install.

Irritation Number Two
The next problem was the "underhood" fuse/electrical box. I am 6'2" and working with that little box was a major PITA. I will warn you that there is very little slack to work with but you only have to hook up two wires into the fuse box on two different Molex connections. There is also a LOT of electrical grease for water protection, so wear some thin latex gloves. Your hands will get very dirty and greasy during this part.

Irritation Number Three
Removing the steering column covers was the final irritation as well as the switch install. I broke the tops snaps on the top cover (about $30 to replace) on my 2000 Accord install, so I was very wary of NOT doing the same on the TSX. However, I was finally able to remove the top cover without a hitch or breaking anything. I left the bottom cover hanging and did not completely remove. Getting the original signal lever out has hard as well as because the cable routing was a bitch (very tight) and you are working in a small space (between the wheel and the dash), plus I have large hands. After much fiddling, I was able to replace the turn signal stalk with the new one that has the Fog Light switch integrated. It worked the very first time, so I was happy.

Easier Aspects
- The cable routing was not hard to me. It may look intimidating from the instructions, but I thought this was the easiest part. The kit supplies plenty of cable ties, and you cannot even tell the new harness is in the engine bay. I will say you have to remove quite a bit of "stuff" but that was not difficult to me.

- I had my wife help me to hook up the light harness with the lights and reinstall the bumper. I got it off by myself but putting it back on was much easier with an extra set of hands. Putting the front bumper cover back on took all of about 3 minutes. It pops back into place and fits like a glove. I had not gaps, and it looked like it never came off. I did not scratch or nick any part of the paint or finish.

Those f-ing Snap Clips
I broke or mangled 8 of the clips. They are about $3 each including tax from Acura. That was another $24 added to the cost of the kit. $3 for a .25 cent piece or plastic is a rip, but I wanted all of them to look new after the install. I do not know of any easier way besides popping them off with a flat head screwdriver. The ones under the bumper are a major PITA.

Bulbs
After some research, I installed the Hoen Xenonmatch H11 fog light bulbs and they closely match the Low Beam light color. I was pleased with them.

Performance and Appearance
The kit did not GREATLY improve visibility, but hey they are fog lights, not blind-the- person-in-front of you lights. They do their job, even if Dallas does not get a lot of fog. Personally, I like the look of them on the bumper. IMO it was an improvement.

Tools Needed
I needed and suggest the following:
- 10mm Socket and ratchet (short and deep sockets) plus a rather long extension to reach one of the air box bolts
- Phillips screwdriver for removing one screw on each side of the front bumper cover
- Flat head screwdriver for the “snap caps
- (2) Jacks (not required) but made getting under the front bumper easier
- Moving blankets, or something to lay the bumper on to prevent damage from the floor
- A lot of patience

All and all you can do this install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have the time to do the install. I suggest you read the instructions two or three times and use a copy during the install.

Let me know if you have any questions or clarification.

Old 01-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey do you have a picture of your hoens? i ordered some but they are on back order. maybe we can meet up and i can check out your hoens
Old 01-11-2004, 06:41 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by accsueprstar
hey do you have a picture of your hoens? i ordered some but they are on back order. maybe we can meet up and i can check out your hoens
The original thread has been updated with a few pictures. The Hoens are a very close match at night, IMO.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my fogs as well (August 03). Have you thought about getting your fog light plates painted...? I did on my CG and although you can't really tell the difference on my car, yours would be a perfect reason to get them painted.

I didn't break any clips, but the pains that you mention are true. Though the bumper isn't really a huge pain IMO, I think most people could do the install.