The Nightmare of losing power.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nightmare of losing power.

Hello acurazine!
I just bought an 04 Acura TSX after having a EVO. And after a painfully long time of sitting on the side of the road wondering why it was such an unreliable piece of shit, I decided to get a TSX. I was reading a boom I picked up about tuning hondas and acuras and it told me a story of a guy named mark. Southside garage put a bone stock Integra type r onto the dyne for a few baseline readings. Then mark came in and he said " I've pumped cash my type r for massive power! let's put this bitch on the dyno and see what it spits!" so they put the intergra on the dyno and the readings came back... Well... Let's just say mark was crying when it showed that his new intake, exhaust, headers, fuel injectors, cams, and fuel rail made that Integra have less horsepower than the bone stock one. But why? The bok makes a good point saying that the aftermarket guys are aftermarket guys for a reason. Do u expect for one minute that the guys at Mugen are smarter than the guys at Honda? An ad for an intake might say it adds up to 15 hp. When it really adds none. Sure it might add 15 hp if ur running on 115 octane fuel and ur pipes are really chokin. After they said this they went on to say. Most aftermarket parts might drag ur car down. Like mark. But a combination of some will give u the desired result.

So I ask you acurazine. What combination of parts gave you the best results?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
That's a hell of a way to frame a simple question.

It almost sounds like you argue against aftermarket parts. I suggest searching first and then coming up with your own conclusions.

Just a word of advice....the TSX isn't a performance car. It is what it is. Its not an Evo, its not a bimmer, G35 its not many things...its a TSX. If you want to make power, have to put money and effort into it, and its certainly not as easy or readily apparent as other cars.

There are a couple of standby parts that people go through. Peruse this thread and make of it what you will:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-126/rank-your-mods-669484/#post9758316

Old thread, but relevant to a gen 1 TSX. I don't think things have really progressed past that (at least as a starting point) other than availability of Kpro and other engine management. Tool around some Heeltoeauto.com's CL9 TSX section. He's rated some parts as approved or not. Again, keep in mind, the TSX isn't about power.

Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
we call those parts EBAY.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also came from an evo (which is a car that aftermarket parts make it what it should have been from the factory)

personally unless you plan on turbo charging the tsx i would keep the mods to a minimum and just enjoy it for what it is.. a 4 cyl sport luxury car that gets decent gas mileage
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
That's a hell of a way to frame a simple question.
werd x10.

it also sounds as tho, the OP is new to tuning cars.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
An Integra Type R is 200HP 1.8 liter. It's basically a race car designed for the street, some come with no A/C or radio and have no comfort features or sound deadening. To get 200hp out of such a small engine, you have to understand that the typical "bolt on" parts are already designed perfectly from Honda. Normally Acuras are designed with comfort, gas mileage and smooth noise free driving in mind...which is why most respond well even to cheap parts that dont take comfort into consideration. You cant put A DC header or an Injen Intake on a Type R and expect great performance. If you want to mod an R, you have to go with RMF, Mugen, Copmtech, Toda, etc. You dont buy a piece of history and put bullshit parts on it. Dont let that stray your from Honda tuning....the K series responds well to mods, just do the proper research.
The following users liked this post:
milkbone98 (10-27-2011)