Myron and Davis DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myron and Davis DVD player

If you just have the DVD player, can you play it through the stock Navi screen?

Can you buy the bracket or do you have to buy the tapedeck.mp3 player?

I see on the install the bracket kit comes with a BUS cable and the DVD player has inputs for the NAVI head unit.

https://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...attachment.pdf
Old 02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

You can play any DVD unit through the stock navi screen, but you have to get a RGB converter first. I recommend Dom's unit, which you can find through the sponsored sales forum of this site; it'll run you anywhere between $125-175, depending on how "good" the group buy is at the moment.

Depending on which Myron & Davis model you get will determine how it's mounted. The AD-212 model will actually fit into the console underneath the head unit (above the "not an ashtray"). You just have to slightly modify the back end of that storage compartment so that you can run your wiring behind it. The nice thing about that is that you have instant anti-theft protection, as you can close the compartment door to conceal that you have a DVD player in the car. If you pick any other standard DIN sized player, I *would* suggest picking up the OEM MP3/Cassette faceplate. That runs about $75.

Dom's unit does come with a FM modulator, but if you'll probably want better sound. If you want to integrate your DVD player sound with the head unit via BUS cable, you'll have to pick up a AUX converter from Soundgate or Blitzsafe. That'll run about $100. The Y-adapter you'd need in order to run the aux input/BUS cable is about $25-30, and you'll need to run a relay so that you don't lose too much volume from your XM (assuming you want to keep it). You also should pick up a GLI (ground loop isolator) to cut out any engine "noise".

Hope that helps...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amadeus303
...I recommend Dom's unit,........
Hope that helps...
So you have it in your TSX ?
Did you do the install yourself ?
Did you make a post about your installation ?

My "rant" is that it seems tons of people of various Acura models have bought the thing but I know of only ONE single "How to" thread by a 2nd gen TL guy.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by huckleberry

My "rant" is that it seems tons of people of various Acura models have bought the thing but I know of only ONE single "How to" thread by a 2nd gen TL guy.
Pretty sad that no one has made a DIY for this...
Old 02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Racer

I have it on my TSX. I did install it myself and it is really easy if you can cut and solder some wires. I did post my install somewhere on here. Please search for it in the audio section. And the unit is great too. And I do recommend the AD 212 model just like what amadeus303 said about it. Ive been looking to get that unit but havent got a chance to get it yet. Excellent unit though.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can play any DVD unit through the stock navi screen, but you have to get a RGB converter first. I recommend Dom's unit, which you can find through the sponsored sales forum of this site; it'll run you anywhere between $125-175, depending on how "good" the group buy is at the moment.

Depending on which Myron & Davis model you get will determine how it's mounted. The AD-212 model will actually fit into the console underneath the head unit (above the "not an ashtray"). You just have to slightly modify the back end of that storage compartment so that you can run your wiring behind it. The nice thing about that is that you have instant anti-theft protection, as you can close the compartment door to conceal that you have a DVD player in the car. If you pick any other standard DIN sized player, I *would* suggest picking up the OEM MP3/Cassette faceplate. That runs about $75.

Dom's unit does come with a FM modulator, but if you'll probably want better sound. If you want to integrate your DVD player sound with the head unit via BUS cable, you'll have to pick up a AUX converter from Soundgate or Blitzsafe. That'll run about $100. The Y-adapter you'd need in order to run the aux input/BUS cable is about $25-30, and you'll need to run a relay so that you don't lose too much volume from your XM (assuming you want to keep it). You also should pick up a GLI (ground loop isolator) to cut out any engine "noise".

Hope that helps...
Good post
Old 02-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Canuck

Hope that helps...

Actually..i knew this already.

What I was trying to get at is that sionce the AD212 is a factory unit..and if you look at the install PDF's..it had the right plugs and connectors to connect straight into he NAVI unit. I was wondering if there is a way to just bypass putting in all those all the adaptors.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by narci
Actually..i knew this already.

What I was trying to get at is that sionce the AD212 is a factory unit..and if you look at the install PDF's..it had the right plugs and connectors to connect straight into he NAVI unit. I was wondering if there is a way to just bypass putting in all those all the adaptors.
I'm not sure I follow you when you say the AD212 is a "factory unit"... there aren't any plugs or connectors to go straight into the stock head unit --- it comes with RCA outputs like any other vid device. The only "loose" wires that come with the unit are for powering the device up (accessory/full power/ground/etc.). The only vid signal going to the LCD screen is the navigation, so you have to cut into that feed to be able to display anything else. Maybe it can be done (that's WAY beyond my wiring skill), but you'd have to be able to split the composite video signal (yellow RCA) from the AD212 into 4 separate signals, and splice them into the harness that feeds the nav signal to the LCD. THEN, you'd also have to tell the head unit when to display the navigation info versus when to display something that you're playing in your dvd player --- you'd have to wire a switch in regardless. That's why the converter is necessary.

Additionally, the stock head unit won't recognize any audio signal from the dvd player unless you fool it into believing you have something installed in the auxiliary port. You can't just plug the RCA outs into the head unit because the nav doesn't have RCA input jacks. That's why the converter is necessary there too.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Canuck

I'm not sure I follow you when you say the AD212 is a "factory unit"... there aren't any plugs or connectors to go straight into the stock head unit --- it comes with RCA outputs like any other vid device. The only "loose" wires that come with the unit are for powering the device up (accessory/full power/ground/etc.). The only vid signal going to the LCD screen is the navigation, so you have to cut into that feed to be able to display anything else. Maybe it can be done (that's WAY beyond my wiring skill), but you'd have to be able to split the composite video signal (yellow RCA) from the AD212 into 4 separate signals, and splice them into the harness that feeds the nav signal to the LCD. THEN, you'd also have to tell the head unit when to display the navigation info versus when to display something that you're playing in your dvd player --- you'd have to wire a switch in regardless. That's why the converter is necessary.

Additionally, the stock head unit won't recognize any audio signal from the dvd player unless you fool it into believing you have something installed in the auxiliary port. You can't just plug the RCA outs into the head unit because the nav doesn't have RCA input jacks. That's why the converter is necessary there too.
If you look at the install diagram for the IVES system, it does not ise RCA's..it actually plugs right into the NAVI system with a BUS cable.

there's another PDF specifically for the IVES but i can't seem to find it.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Yes... have it in my TSX, although I'm still using the FM modulator for sound since I haven't been able to get around to hooking up an aux converter --- it's COLD in NJ this time of year!

I did the install myself; if you can follow directions well, it's definitely a DIY. The reason why you probably don't see a lot of "how to's" is because there are so many variations on how to install it. You can tap the power from various places, you can mount the dvd player in a few different places, you can mount the converters in the dash or in the trunk, etc... There *are* posts, and I think I actually may have used TSX559's. CJams has an excellent write-up as well, although he fabricated his own 3-auxiliary Soundgate to accomodate a player, tv tuner, and XM. I'll try to find the threads... and you can always PM me if you have questions...
Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by joerockt
Pretty sad that no one has made a DIY for this...
I wanted to do one myself for this, but at the time, my digicam was broken. I have a new one now, but that doesn't do anyone any good

I figure when I open the dash up again to hook up my audio direct, I'll snap some pix and try to do a write-up...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Its not really hard to install this yourself. I find it pretty easy. I beleive the foot panel on the passenger is the best place to hook up. IMO. You can always put it back to stock and no one will ever no that you cut 4 wires there.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:53 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

If you look at the install diagram for the IVES system, it does not ise RCA's..it actually plugs right into the NAVI system with a BUS cable.

there's another PDF specifically for the IVES but i can't seem to find it.
Ahhh... now I follow what you're trying to say. Yes, the IVES connects with a BUS cable, but there's no way to do that with any other aftermarket system - the M&D AD212 included. The only way to get the player to output via BUS is through the use of a converter. If you wanted to just pick up the dvd player that comes with the IVES, you could do that... but you'd still have to pick up a RGB converter to allow you to play the video through the front LCD.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Racer

^^^ Yeah I agree. The bus is just for the IVES. You wont be able to play it on your nav screen.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Here's the link to 559's thread...

Dom's Converter Install

And yep --- this IS the thread I used when installing mine. If you have an '05, the wire colors are a little different, but CJams covers it on the 2nd page. Hope that helps guys...

Oh... and 559 --- a late by the way on the write-up!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Old 02-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Canuck

Thankis guys..i just wanted to know if I can use the AD212 without modifying the wires cause I have a 7 year warranty on my car.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Racer

Here's the link to 559's thread...

Dom's Converter Install

And yep --- this IS the thread I used when installing mine. If you have an '05, the wire colors are a little different, but CJams covers it on the 2nd page. Hope that helps guys...

Oh... and 559 --- a late by the way on the write-up!

Hey no problem man. I couldnt done it without tjt889's help. He is the one that mention that you can access the wires through the kick panel. That was the easiest place to install for me. You dont have to run a long wire from the trunk to the front. And I think that the 05's have the same wiring. I forgot to edit that picture and take a new one. I actually messed up on that picture. Its backwards. All you have to do it switch the wires. And just forgot to take an after picture when I switch the wires on it. Sorry for the confusion on that. But the 05's should have the same wiring color as 04's. Hope this clears it up.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Racer

Thankis guys..i just wanted to know if I can use the AD212 without modifying the wires cause I have a 7 year warranty on my car.
I dont think you can mess up any wires. You just need power, ground, and memory. Video will go to your RGB unit. And audio will go to the AUX adapter or FM modulator. You can just tape to the wires on the amp for that. Very simple. Hope this helps you.