My TSX Third Brake Light Mod - What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TSX Third Brake Light Mod - What do you think??

I saw this on the road the other few days on socal on two seperate cars. An Audi and a '04/'05 style Accord. Basically the third brake light flashes a few times and then goes solid.

I think this feature comes on higher end luxury cars but i'm not sure....and so I thought I wanted to try it out.

Anyways, the video download is here... its about 1.2megabytes. Please right click, save as. Sorry for the grainy pics. Taken with a digital camera, not designed for video.

So far I think its pretty effective... my main reason of using is to make my TSX more luxurious with this feature and at the same time be "different" on the road, enough to be eye catching...i also hate american trucks that tail gate me...I almost got rear-ended by one once on the fwy... I also heard this mod is technically legal in california if it does 4 initial flashes.... however, as you can see..mine does 9. =)

What do y'all think??? Thoughts? Constuctive criticism????

VIDEO HERE --->>>>>
http://home.comcast.net/~vcyeh/tsx_tail.wmv [1.2MB] (if you are super slow, right click save-as target)

the video does not do it justice, it actually looks STOCK.... like it came with the car =) =)

btw, this is with STOCK bulb 7440 on the 3rd brake light... the flash effect would be different if an LED bulb was used...since LED can charge/discharge faster.

the way it works is simple, the initial flash is 9 flashes...then it goes solid. if you let go of the brake....then wait say, between 5-10 seconds, it'll only flash 5-7 times the second time.... if you waited 3 seconds, it'll only probably flash 2-3 times.... it calculates the interval of when you depressed the brakes the last time.... this is so that you do not "PISS OFF" the driver behind you in heavy stop-n-go traffic. So a COMPLETE reset to get the 9 initial flashes again, would require 20-25 seconds of no brake depressing.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm, interesting. How did you do that mod?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Seems pretty good, but is it legal?

Did you just directly wire a on/off timed switch?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Advanced

i like it, i ride bikes too, and we used to do that too to get other drivers attention that we were stopping.

howd you do it?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:06 AM
ABP TSX

^^^

Yes, I did this mod on bikes back in the day as well for increased visibility.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Race Director

To be honest, the 9 time flashing seems pretty stupid? But at least it dies down if you constantly break. Other then that, i think its pretty cool, just a bit excess.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I would be pretty pissed if I was behind you and your light kept flashing. But otherwise it's a decent mod.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
To be honest, the 9 time flashing seems pretty stupid? But at least it dies down if you constantly break. Other then that, i think its pretty cool, just a bit excess.
I'd agree that 9 flashes is excessive. I'd go with 4, personally, as I know I wouldn't want to be the guy behind you when it was flashing 9 times!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
interesting mod.

Ive seen this before...but it wasnt on a high-end luxo car, it was on an ambulance. Most of those new ambulances have all-LED tails and turnsignals that can blink very fast. I noticed when the brake lights of the ambulance came on they gave off a SUPER-QUICK flash before going solid red, which created a really neat blitter effect. The amber turn-signals did the same thing.

I thought damn, that would be blang-blangin' on a cool car like a TSX or a 330Ci. Hope they start doing this.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Instructor

A more useful mod would be one that would flash the brake lights (all three of them) rapidly in a panic stop. It could be wired into the sensors that control the VSA. When the sensors detect rapid deceleration and a hard push on the brakes, the brake lights would flash rapidly to alert the drivers behind that the car was stopping quickly. I saw this on a Buick concept car a few years ago. It seems to me that would be a useful safety feature, not just a "hey look at me" feature.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Got Ramen?

that's pretty cool and how'd u do it. 9 flashes is too much imo...i think 5 at most is okay
Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Oye ve, I've been behind drivers with this "feature". No offense, but it is by far the most annoying thing ever. If you are ever stuck behind one of these at night, in traffic you will gladly move into the slow lane just get behind someone else.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Advanced

nice mod!!! how did u do the mod?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
05' NHB TSX

http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

They say it conforms with Cali DOT reg. but local regulation might prohibits flashing of any red lights.

It's illegal in C. FL and I'm sure many other places, so use at your own risk.

From personal experience it cause more road rage then safety.

Also I never seen these on higher end luxury car, just some crotch rockets.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Props for the mod, but I would probably throw a rock through your rear window if I was behing you
Old 01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No offense, but it would be rather annoying to be behind a car with a light flashing. I see your point about safety in traffic jams, however, that's when this would be the most annoying. It personally would drive me nuts if I were behind a car with that light.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Racer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small...spagenameZWDVW

There is one here for lower price, but it says 6-15 initial flashes... and it's up to the seller to choose which one to send... we can't request the number of initial flashes. I just ordered one and crossing my fingers to get the 6 initial flahses and not the 15 one.

The total cost is ~$20
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

I find it rather annoying and maybe even distracting...
so maybe some dumbass would be looking at the flashing like "huh ? what that ?" for a second too long and BANG !
You don't want to surprise a dumbass diving behind you.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

^[continue]
Now, God forbid but if you do get rearended, a wiseass can blame on your flashing light.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Just another way to highlight that sweet ass !
Old 01-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Got Phó?

I think this mod is kinda stupid. Ohh well, everyone is different.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Racer

sorry for the late reply guys.. chinese new years and was celebrating with family.........anyways -->>

First of all, the mod can be bought at http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm as already stated. There's two versions, IBF4 (4 flashes) and IBF9 (9 flashes). The IBF4 4 flash is legal in CA as it says. In some states, these are not legal. But I bought mine on eBay from the same seller and he shipped me the IBF9... I did WANT the IBF4...but he said he wanted $9 extra dollars... so screw that... so i took a chance... read below:

Also, if you check ebay..(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small...spagenameZWDVW)
. the same seller/company is selling it for $17.77 shipped! Yes he did say he will ship a unit between 6-15 initial flashes.... however, he shipped me the 9 flash unit (IBF9).... which I am happy with...

SECOND

I understand that you all may think 9 flashes is a bit much, but keep in mind this flasher does NOT continually flash at a stop... also remember the INITIAL flash is 9 flashes.... a FULL reset (to flash 9 flashes again) requires 25-30 seconds.... if you depress the brake 5 seconds after an initial...it'll only do about 3-4 flashes... if you double tap real fast..it only flashes ONCE !! (so this is for heavy stop and go) .... if you wait say 10 seconds..that will still only flash about 4-6 times......

now third, you have to remmeber, the full 9 flashes REQUIRE you to hold your BRAKES for about what...5-7 seconds??? even then, I don't think on the freeway i hold my brakes that long.... and most of the time, when I hold my brakes that long is when i come to a complete stop... most of the cars behind me are usually pretty far...by the time they approach me (2 car lengths) .. my flasher has already gone solid.....

ok so to recap... lets say you've waited 25-30 seconds..... but if you press the brake..you know it will do 9 flashes?? then just tap once, let go fast, tap again... it'll only do 1-2 flashes!! why?? because it "THINKS" you're in stop and go traffic.... the number of flashes is calculated to how long when you last depressed your brakes and how long you've held your brakes??? get it? thats why the IBF4 conforms to DOT regulations... the IBF9 doesn't...i think only because 9 initial is too much......

i'll be honest...with my IBF9 flasher... the avg flashes is about 6 for me.... in usual socal traffic... so you see it ain't that bad....

now you know what will piss people off?
This flasher here does NOT stop flashing... it constantly flashes when the brake has been applied: http://www.signalz4u.com/
Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Advanced.

Thanks for the info. That was very helpful!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by greendestiny
now you know what will piss people off?
This flasher here does NOT stop flashing... it constantly flashes when the brake has been applied: http://www.signalz4u.com/
The link you provided indicates the light only blinks 3 times, then stop.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTso
The link you provided indicates the light only blinks 3 times, then stop.
ooh woops... wrong site then... hrrm..maybe i should've gotten that. but the reason that drew me away was that monstrous size on that circuit box... the one I have is about a reese's cup size, about the weight of two quarters, and its just ziptied in my trunk!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Revolutionary

I think they flash too slow. I like the LEDs that flash a few times really fast in like half a second.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Always On Patrol

if u were in nj and i was working and i saw that i would write u for imporsanteing a police vehicle and altering after inspection. reason being is the third brake light is meant to get drivers attention in eye level and view. on a bike i can see it being there limited in lighting. BUT- Police cars and emergency vehicles in some areas have the reverse light/brake light feature when there emergeny lights are activated. this mod for a car is impersonateing a police car. u can have ur car towed for that in my state. good luck with not getting stopped.
Jay
Old 01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting mod. My wife's 4Runner has this feature. Like other members have said, it is annoying. Extremely annoying to me when I am riding behind a person with this. Imagine riding behind somebody for miles with this thing. In the video it appears to have a "strobing" effect or "slow fill" effect. I do like that about it. I predict you will take it off in a matter of weeks, not months. Anyways, good luck with it.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JChait
if u were in nj and i was working and i saw that i would write u for imporsanteing a police vehicle and altering after inspection. reason being is the third brake light is meant to get drivers attention in eye level and view. on a bike i can see it being there limited in lighting. BUT- Police cars and emergency vehicles in some areas have the reverse light/brake light feature when there emergeny lights are activated. this mod for a car is impersonateing a police car. u can have ur car towed for that in my state. good luck with not getting stopped.
Jay

i understand... but two reasons I went ahead with the install was because I have SEEN it on cars already and I was TOLD they were "LEGAL" on those cars because they came "STOCK" on them...

its just like the transition right now from halogen to HID... there are civics, integras, kia's, fords, with HID's....... some cops would/could pull them over... but i think society is beginning to "accept" HID....

its also like that Lexus RX330.... complete SUPER Cleared out tail lights... those are prolly super illegal on rice rockets... but somehow Lexus managed to get DOT approval for use on their RX330???

another one is the famous "side mirror" turn signals... those would prolly be illegal back then as well.... but now , again "society" is accepting it.

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
Interesting mod. My wife's 4Runner has this feature. Like other members have said, it is annoying. Extremely annoying to me when I am riding behind a person with this. Imagine riding behind somebody for miles with this thing. In the video it appears to have a "strobing" effect or "slow fill" effect. I do like that about it. I predict you will take it off in a matter of weeks, not months. Anyways, good luck with it.
really?? wow okay thats the THIRD car i NOW know that has this feature... my friend says the Nissan Xterras have this STOCK... you said the 4runner has this stock...and I've personally also seen a '04/'05 accord with this... (his was abotu 4-5flashes and was blinkin' slightly slower).... and i've also saw a luxury style car with this.......
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Always On Patrol

Originally Posted by greendestiny
i understand... but two reasons I went ahead with the install was because I have SEEN it on cars already and I was TOLD they were "LEGAL" on those cars because they came "STOCK" on them...

its just like the transition right now from halogen to HID... there are civics, integras, kia's, fords, with HID's....... some cops would/could pull them over... but i think society is beginning to "accept" HID....

its also like that Lexus RX330.... complete SUPER Cleared out tail lights... those are prolly super illegal on rice rockets... but somehow Lexus managed to get DOT approval for use on their RX330???

another one is the famous "side mirror" turn signals... those would prolly be illegal back then as well.... but now , again "society" is accepting it.

really?? wow okay thats the THIRD car i NOW know that has this feature... my friend says the Nissan Xterras have this STOCK... you said the 4runner has this stock...and I've personally also seen a '04/'05 accord with this... (his was abotu 4-5flashes and was blinkin' slightly slower).... and i've also saw a luxury style car with this.......
Every lexus is300 and the trucks failed inspection in the years 2002 and 2003 when the factory altezzas came out in nj. people had to go back to inspection stations with there stickers and dealer letters to show dmv they were factory. once that was done they were able to pass. side blinkers are a factroy addition so therefore they pass inspection. this has nothing to do with society accpepting something. it comes down to common sense and realizeing whats right and whats wrong. and the inspector will go from there.
as far as patroling the streets and making motor vehicle stops i can tell u this. cops these days are young. we know cars. we have had and have cars and bikes and what not. we know whats right and we know whats wrong. were just like any other driver. if we dont like something or know we have no choice to act on soemthing cause everyone is looking at u like arent u gonna do something than we have too...its that simple. ur mod is not a factory thing. anyone knows that. the only thing that comes factory on is AMBULANCES! and its 2 quick flashes and than steady!! and thats with LEDS!! nothing else. if u want to argue this thats fine. but im telling u now if u were anything but a motorcycle and i saw that. unless ur related to a cop or a cop u would get written and even get impounded in my state. and the reason for the stop would be because guys would think its gay. i hate to say it but most car stops come about because people do stupid obvious shit and u have to do something about it.
Jay
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every lexus is300 and the trucks failed inspection in the years 2002 and 2003 when the factory altezzas came out in nj. people had to go back to inspection stations with there stickers and dealer letters to show dmv they were factory. once that was done they were able to pass. side blinkers are a factroy addition so therefore they pass inspection. this has nothing to do with society accpepting something. it comes down to common sense and realizeing whats right and whats wrong. and the inspector will go from there.
as far as patroling the streets and making motor vehicle stops i can tell u this. cops these days are young. we know cars. we have had and have cars and bikes and what not. we know whats right and we know whats wrong. were just like any other driver. if we dont like something or know we have no choice to act on soemthing cause everyone is looking at u like arent u gonna do something than we have too...its that simple. ur mod is not a factory thing. anyone knows that. the only thing that comes factory on is AMBULANCES! and its 2 quick flashes and than steady!! and thats with LEDS!! nothing else. if u want to argue this thats fine. but im telling u now if u were anything but a motorcycle and i saw that. unless ur related to a cop or a cop u would get written and even get impounded in my state. and the reason for the stop would be because guys would think its gay. i hate to say it but most car stops come about because people do stupid obvious shit and u have to do something about it.
Jay
Sounds like somebody needs a donut! But seriously, I am sure a lot depends on where you live. Around where I live you could do most anything without being stopped. But it seems in "Barney Fife Land" you would probably be stopped for most anything. BTW, this feature IS stock on a few vehicles. At one time it was stock on the 4Runner and Nissan Altima to name two.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

if u want to argue this thats fine. but im telling u now if u were anything but a motorcycle and i saw that. unless ur related to a cop or a cop u would get written and even get impounded in my state. and the reason for the stop would be because guys would think its gay. i hate to say it but most car stops come about because people do stupid obvious shit and u have to do something about it.
Jay
wow, i didn't know NJ was that strict on altezzas.... they have yet to see the RX330 tail lights... those are cleared out to hell as I've stated.....

but anyways to your point...... wow, so if i was a cop...then you and the rest of the cops would let me off???? isn't that "corruption" as well? where's the "right" and "wrong" in that....

damn thats one of the reason why I hate America... corruption and capitalism...

if a cop was doing 120mph, can a second cop pull the first cop over? u kno just as well a cop doing 120 does not have "race inspired" training to do 120mph on "city" surfaces...especially when city surfaces are not built for that speed...and a 4000lb crown vic...

i'm not tryin' to argue with you... but like someon else said it just varies from state to state... and i don't see a huge problem with this..especially down here in CA... we got more people doing more illegal stuff than ever.. let me give u examples:

1. fart cans exhausts (over 110dB..disturbing the peace... 1 out of 10 car here in CA has one!)
2. ppl changing lanes without signaling (got cutoff more than 10 times in my life)
3. people with HID lights without a proper projector housing so it blinds ppl like hell....
4. strobe lights..underbody...etc.

i could go on and on.... but hey, i guess it just comes down to state and up to the mood or stomach of a cop. i appreciate you for a cop and society... and ur right i screwed up it has nothing to do with society...but remember years ago when ppl were complainin' about HIDs...they wanted to ban them.....

anyways, i just don't like the fact u mentioned u are gonna give "special" treatment to "other cops"... but hey...i guess that does not fall under "right" or "wrong". since all cops are above the law.... just like the Inglewood, CA beatup...the Katrina beatup..the Rampart Scandal...and our very own, L.A. city mayor Chief Bernard Parks corruption....
Old 02-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Racer

I got mine this Friday's night when I came home from work and installed it on the next day. I left the seller a note to find give me one with 6 initial flash and I think I did get what I asked for. When I tested it it flahes 6 times but with only one try so I'm not very sure yet. I will look into it again. The installation was simple. Took me 15-30 minz since I have to drive to home depot to buy some electrical tape and wire connectors. I love the mod so far, it worthes my 20 bucks.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Racer

Actually the one I got has 8 initial flashs which is good enough for me. Like Green destiny said, if you worry that this might get annoying, before you brake do a quick tap, release, and then brake which will do 1 flash. Now since I got it, I notice less cars stop tailgating me. It seems like they give a little more respect to my car since when they see it flashing. they would slow down and think Wow, that's nice and what's a beautiful car ...
before this cars around me don't even see I'm there because they spend more time road ragging.
Crazy people around OC area, that make me mad sometimes.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Advanced

9 is a bit excessive. I would stick with 4. Or even better, have it "adaptive." IOW, harder you brake, the brighter the light. (perhaps 3 stages? light, normal and emergency braking based on brake pedal depression)
Old 02-18-2006, 04:11 AM
I'm a llama :(

Jay
You sound like an ass. You give the decent cops a bad name. I started to bold all the stupid comments you made, but I had to limit it to the stupidest ones cause the whole thing ended up bold.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm a llama :(

And how stupid are these inspection station workers? Can't they just look for the letters DOT on the tailights???
Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Motohip
And how stupid are these inspection station workers? Can't they just look for the letters DOT on the tailights???
im not too positive that i would accept that as full truth... look at the source.
i would assume that there would be DOT written on the light, that or there would be some sort of notice put out... i sure as hell would be pissed if i had to drive all the way around town because some simple minded person couldnt make a phone call or recieve a fax.

anyway i agree, its prick cops like you that give all cops bad names...
boy i wish i knew the person that hired you, he must be a real piece of work to keep you around... then again you probably dont bother him much or give him a hard time.

/rant

anyway, i guess you get them in every bunch, sooner or later they step off thier platform
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Race Director

i'd rather do the knight rider mod and make the 3rd brake light go back and forth like KITT's red scanner did when you start to brake.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i'd rather do the knight rider mod and make the 3rd brake light go back and forth like KITT's red scanner did when you start to brake.
That would be sweet.

These people are modifying their brake-pushing patterns to accommodate a more aesthetically pleasing flashing pattern???

Quick Reply: My TSX Third Brake Light Mod - What do you think??