Hy Tech Exhaust full set-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shaang
Jtso: Gotta love the torque!

This is more torque than a stock 04/05 TSX has power.

In our prototype testing last year we found you can gain peak power at the expense of a lot of midrange by swapping to the Accord Euro R intake manifold (also used on the 06 Civic Si) and running bigger cams.

My opinion is that it is not worth it unless you are racing the car. This torque is useable everyday without scaring little old ladies bouncing of the rev limiter.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hondata

My opinion is that it is not worth it unless you are racing the car. This torque is useable everyday without scaring little old ladies bouncing of the rev limiter.
Excellent point!

I'm sure an '06 would have just as strong midrange, and a slightly stronger high-end as well huh??
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
VSA Rocks

In our prototype testing last year we found you can gain peak power at the expense of a lot of midrange by swapping to the Accord Euro R intake manifold (also used on the 06 Civic Si) and running bigger cams.

Didn't I tell you AZ boys the RBC manifold has potential on our setup?

This is awesome. Thanks for taking one for the team, Shaang.

If I understand correctly, you're running a prototype jumper harness for the Kpro, right?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Black_6spd: No, I'm not running k-pro at all. I had k-pro on my car temporarily just for testing purposes while tuning at Church's. I just have a new reflash tuned specifically for the hytech set-up.

With regards to running a RBC IM, I believe you would hurt acceleration times by losing too much torque, and only gaining very little peak hp. Check out the article Doug wrote, 'tuning the tsx'. Basically, The RBC IM only netted 2-3 peak hp above 6200rpm, while there was a loss of hp and torque everywhere below 6200rpm. I believe that even the Grand Am TSX's are using 06' RBB Ims.

As far as audio/video goes, I don't own a camcorder/digital camera so unless someone wants to lend me or help me make a video (Jtso: I'd love to make one of those 0-60/1/4 mile videos you made), you guys are just gonna have to pay me a visit in Socal to check it out!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

shaang I have a digital camera that has video feature which I never used yet.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wonder how a hytech exhaust setup + comptech s/c setup would do.....

Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34
wonder how a hytech exhaust setup + comptech s/c setup would do.....

That setup plus a custom HyTech SC reflash would be the shit
Old 08-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This one compares the 'Hytech reflash' to full k-pro w/ VTC mechanism modified to 45 degrees. Almost 200 ft/lbs at the wheels!!!
That's cool that Doug made a Vtec window for you like the SC reflash has. Did you tell you exactly what determines when Vtec engages? On the SC I think it's a combination of the MAP and throttle, just wondering if the NA setup is the same way.

Dang look at the low end power the VTC mod w/ K-Pro provides.

Do you have your a/f ratio charts?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Didn't I tell you AZ boys the RBC manifold has potential on our setup?
?

Re-read http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html closely.

The RBC intake manifold will make top end power supported with a good header and cams, but you will lose midrange.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
VSA Rocks

Re-read http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html closely.

The RBC intake manifold will make top end power supported with a good header and cams, but you will lose midrange.
Thanks. I suspected an RBC benefit from the feedback from the clubrsx.com and k20a.org folks who were running either frankenstein setups or a k24 swap with an RBC manifold.

Some even claimed to get gains w/o tuning from the RBC. However, most I've read were butt-dynos only and I don't remember an actual graph showing an RBC gain w/ a K24.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM
VSA Rocks

Black_6spd: No, I'm not running k-pro at all. I had k-pro on my car temporarily just for testing purposes while tuning at Church's. I just have a new reflash tuned specifically for the hytech set-up.
K20 engine owners for the 02-04 Hondas and Acuras have the benefit of the K-Pro - a fully tunable stock ECU. When Honda introduced the TSX it updated the ECU [Engine Control Unit]. The only component in common with its predecessor was the connector plug! To date Hondata can modify the VTEC point; rev limiter, fuel, ignition and cam angle tables for a naturally aspirated TSX. There are no plans for a fully programmable system for the TSX. All tuning was done with non-streetable modifications for the sole purpose of dynoing with a RSX ECU and K-Pro.

Connecting the K-Pro involved an adapter harness and an Accord throttle body to replace the drive by wire throttle body. The throttle cable already exists and just needs to be moved. A throttle cable holder for the manifold was fabricated, but probably could have been purchased for a Honda Accord. About 6 wires were run to read the throttle position and control the idle (functions that are automatically handled by the drive by wire) The downside of this conversion is that the instrument cluster, air conditioning and vehicle stability assist did not work. ABS was not affected.
Shaang or Doug,

Can either of you explain in more detail how you got the Kpro to work with your cars? I'm a bit fuzzy on this. I've heard reports that we'd lose gages, A/C, VSA, and DBW functions and we'd need to switch to a cable TB. I assume shaang retained his '05 TB during testing w/ Kpro?

Also, if I used Kpro on my car, would I be able to correct the speedo error I have from using the RSX-S gears?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Got Milk???

wow Shaang, we havent met since the last HB meet and already you've done so much, very very impressive hopefully I'll get to see your ride in person on the next meet.

KC
Old 08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Black_6spd: Thats something you're gonna want to talk to Doug about. I don't think I'm in the position to divulge any details on the k-pro since it's still in development...

TSX536: Doug will e-mail me the dyno charts and A/F charts, then I'll post'em.

Kaikai114: Sounds like a plan, are you gonna organize another meet anytime soon?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Shaang or Doug,

Can either of you explain in more detail how you got the Kpro to work with your cars? I'm a bit fuzzy on this. I've heard reports that we'd lose gages, A/C, VSA, and DBW functions and we'd need to switch to a cable TB. I assume shaang retained his '05 TB during testing w/ Kpro?

Also, if I used Kpro on my car, would I be able to correct the speedo error I have from using the RSX-S gears?
We do not have a K-Pro product for the TSX. Shaang was using the test cable I had used in all my previous testing and there was a bunch of stuff not working.

The AF ratios were 12.8-13.2 throughout the run.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're not the only one whose curiousity is piqued...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Got Milk???

Black_6spd: Thats something you're gonna want to talk to Doug about. I don't think I'm in the position to divulge any details on the k-pro since it's still in development...

TSX536: Doug will e-mail me the dyno charts and A/F charts, then I'll post'em.

Kaikai114: Sounds like a plan, are you gonna organize another meet anytime soon?

I was originally thinking about the end of August before school starts for many people, but it looks like I won't be free to start anything until september. You'll most def get a pm from me if anything happens.

KC
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Instructor

TodaSI: I seemed to have overlooked your question; Same mods as earlier in the post, w/ the addition of 45 degree VTC, TB bypass, and oil catch can. The only thing left for me right now as far as adding power is the UR pulleys(f_ck that crank bolt!),hondata heatshield gasket, 06' TB, and 06' IM. Cams must wait for k-pro...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Got Milk???

shaang, clear up your pm box bro, gotta shoot you something.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Instructor

Done!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Instructor

what is hytechs contact info?

thx
Old 09-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Instructor

(949) 581-2181
The owners name is John Grudynski. Tell him James sent you!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
shaang, is the hondata hytech reflash for the hytech header/cat/exhaust combo only? or is it inclusive of cams, etc.?

i'm looking into getting a custom header/cat to go with my custom exhaust and would like to only upgrade my current reflash to the hytech version. however, if the hytech reflash is for the grand am cup kit, then i'll just have to go with the kpro (don't want to spend that $ though).

thanks,
vinny
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
on to a CRZ

I looked into getting the HyTech setup and one thing i did find out was that the header and cat will not bolt up to an aftermarket exhaust. You may run into trouble with that.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Time to Climb

i should be ok as LHT Performance is building me a custom header and cat to go along with my aluminum exhaust.

the question is can i get the hytech reflash or do i need cams, VTC, etc. for that specific reflash to be operational?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by godfather2
i should be ok as LHT Performance is building me a custom header and cat to go along with my aluminum exhaust.

the question is can i get the hytech reflash or do i need cams, VTC, etc. for that specific reflash to be operational?
Hytech never came out with those trans am kits so there will be no reflash from them. K-Pro is your only and best option anyway..
Old 12-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Not true, Hytech does have the Grand Am kits available, I saw them with my own eyes again when I was in John's shop a month ago. The problem was that K-pro was never available, to be able to actually tune the ecu to run aggresive cams, etc. The tsxs that race in the grand am cup swapped out their DBW throttle bodies for non-dbw ones from the accord. That was solution back then for no k-pro. Now that k-pro is out, the possibilites are endless for heavy modifications internally on our K24a2 engines.

As far as the 'hytech reflash' that I currently have on my car goes, at one point it was available for cars running the hytech header/cat/exhaust system and a cold air intake. It was optimaly tuned for that set-up because the current reflash did not take advantage of the longer runners of the hytech header. However, now that k-pro is operational and for sale, I don't know if it will still be sold. Anyone interested in the 'hytech reflash' will have to contact Doug @ Hondata to see if he is still selling it.

I decided to have my VTC modified because at the time, Hytech had my car in their shop so I just decided to get it done in preparation for whenever k-pro came out. The 'hytech reflash' that I have does not utilize more than the stock allowances of movement (20 degrees) set by the stock (non-kpro) ecu.

Last edited by shaang; 12-20-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Time to Climb

The 'hytech reflash' that I have does not utilize more than the stock allowances of movement (20 degrees) set by the stock (non-kpro) ecu.
THANKS, that's exactly what i needed to know
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Special-K

Not true, Hytech does have the Grand Am kits available, I saw them with my own eyes again when I was in John's shop a month ago. The problem was that K-pro was never available, to be able to actually tune the ecu to run aggresive cams, etc. The tsxs that race in the grand am cup swapped out their DBW throttle bodies for non-dbw ones from the accord. That was solution back then for no k-pro. Now that k-pro is out, the possibilites are endless for heavy modifications internally on our K24a2 engines.

As far as the 'hytech reflash' that I currently have on my car goes, at one point it was available for cars running the hytech header/cat/exhaust system and a cold air intake. It was optimaly tuned for that set-up because the current reflash did not take advantage of the longer runners of the hytech header. However, now that k-pro is operational and for sale, I don't know if it will still be sold. Anyone interested in the 'hytech reflash' will have to contact Doug @ Hondata to see if he is still selling it.

I decided to have my VTC modified because at the time, Hytech had my car in their shop so I just decided to get it done in preparation for whenever k-pro came out. The 'hytech reflash' that I have does not utilize more than the stock allowances of movement (20 degrees) set by the stock (non-kpro) ecu.
Technically it was never released.. Advertised by heel toe but later said it was a hold on it. If it was released then alot of us would have it.. but your the only single person to have this set up. So its more of a custom thing than a kit for the public. Thats where i was getting at.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Instructor

BTW, as you all have probably seen, TSX2345 is unfortunately having to selling his Hytech system! I can't believe no one has jumped on this yet... If anyone is interested, this is an item all in its own! You know the excessive wait times if you were to get one from Hytech (1 year+ minimum). This is the same header/cat/exhaust that Doug @ Hondata is running on his very own TSX and also the system that a lot of tuning was done with w/ K-PRO. I def recommend this set-up for anyone interested in making the most usable power the NA route!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=hytech

Sorry, now back on topic.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

^^Thanks!

I'm very surprised myself!!

Still available folks!