How badly am I going to mess up my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Professional Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How badly am I going to mess up my car?

Hey, I'm 16 and have no experience installing anything in cars except for stereos. I want to get an injen CAI, but don't have the money to pay for a professional install. How bad of an idea would it be to do this by myself and a couple friends? Is it really that difficult? .....anywho just looking for some words of advice from people who've done the install
Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 PM
04 remembrance

Generally the installation shouldn't take more than 3 hours and the instructions are quite easy to follow.

Do a search regarding the CAI install's, but look more specifically for JTso's posts.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Banned

If you didn't pay for the car, don't think you should mess with it.
Stock TSX is plenty "good enough" for 16-yr-old. Just leave good enough be.
my humble suggestion.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:58 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
you should be able to get plenty of help on this board from previous posts. And the only way to get better is to give it a try...although a $27k car isnt the BEST place to start.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

the CAI install is easy if you some automotive knowledge... however at 16 I'm guessing you don't.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Race Director

im not gonna lie to you, im 18, i had a "couple of friends"..i spent 4 hours..got stuck, put all stock back in that i took out, and spent 100 cash for a profesional install. Anywords of advice..do some searches..the instructions the Injen sends are horrible, unless they made them better..the threads are very helpful.

To do everything right and easy..you need patience..good instructions and a very good set of tools. Gluck to ya!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:45 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

I'm going to be blunt, but what parents buy thier kid a brand new $28k+ car at 16? Honestly, don't mod it, you are going to crash it anyway.

That being said, go slow, take your time, and it will work out for you.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Instructor

bahaha kids these days, always souping up their parents cars
gotta loves it.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by 98EXL
I'm going to be blunt, but what parents buy thier kid a brand new $28k+ car at 16? Honestly, don't mod it, you are going to crash it anyway.

How do you figure he'll crash it. My parents hooked me up with a ride, and I never hit shit. I think it was the first car that I bought that I had an accident in, and I was hit by someone else.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Meow.

I'm 17 and with the help of a friend, I installed the Injen CAI in about 2-3 hours. The hardest part was getting that stupid resonator out. Dam that screw was in the most awkward position..

If your smart enough to follow instructions and research information on the board, you'll be fine.

BTW, not all teenagers drive like idiots. I know I'm driving a very expensive car and do my best to not wreck it. I just take those occasional fast turns when no one is around..
Old 10-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Professional Newbie

hmmm....thanks for the help, I doubt that I can do that much irreparable damage to the car if I give it a try. Looks like I'll be asking for help from my friend who works at Valvoline instead of my friend who doesn't know what a flywheel is though. Also, is it easier if I put it in SRI mode? I get rough winters here so maybe that'd be for the best anyways

by the way...I may be sixteen but have an innate sense of driving....more importantly a good set of brakes, I wont be hitting anything
Old 10-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by felixthekat
BTW, not all teenagers drive like idiots. I know I'm driving a very expensive car and do my best to not wreck it. I just take those occasional fast turns when no one is around..
Its not a matter of driving like an idiot, its a matter of experence. You havent been in enough situations where you needed to avoid an accident. I was in two accidents before I was 18, one my fault, the other not but could have been avoidable. Plus the fact that most kids dont buy 30K cars, so they have no clue as to the vaule of money, nor the cost to repair it if something gets wrecked.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
by the way...I may be sixteen but have an innate sense of driving....more importantly a good set of brakes, I wont be hitting anything
Famous last words...good luck...
Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Professional Newbie

i think kids get a bad reputation here, just because were inexperienced doesn't mean that during gaining experience we are going to have accidents. Also, i am well aware the value of $30K, i worked for part of my summer and made less than 1K, if anything happens to my TSX a new one will certainly not be handed to me, i try to treat it as i would treat my child, which also i have no experience in (thankfully)

back to the topic of the thread...is it easier to install in SRI mode?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Just dial 1911

i think kids get a bad reputation here, just because were inexperienced doesn't mean that during gaining experience we are going to have accidents.
back to the topic of the thread...is it easier to install in SRI mode?
Right, but the possiblity is a lot higher. And its not a bad rep, its lack of respect. We didnt get any either when we were young, so deal with it.

Yes, its easier to install in SRI. You dont have to remove the resonator.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:48 PM

hmmm....thanks for the help, I doubt that I can do that much irreparable damage to the car if I give it a try. Looks like I'll be asking for help from my friend who works at Valvoline instead of my friend who doesn't know what a flywheel is though. Also, is it easier if I put it in SRI mode? I get rough winters here so maybe that'd be for the best anyways

SRI is easier because you can leave the resenator in there, it will probably cut the install time by 1/3 as the hardest part is getting the resonator out.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Professional Newbie

do the injen instructions include the SRI installation or only the CAI mode?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Registered AssHat

do the injen instructions include the SRI installation or only the CAI mode?
Both (more steps to get to CAI). But be warned, they do not cover part removal, only install. So, to get the airbox, resonator, and other piping out, hit the forums for info.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:58 PM

also check k&n's site for some other instructions, i used them w/ out problems, and have heard some complaints about injen's
Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Drifting

all of your questions have been answered previously, madmanmax. I highly suggest you do a search. The CAI is the most commonly installed mod with the most "proven" returns and you will probably find everything you need to know about this mod by using this site's search function. I'm not trying to be a hardass, but this mod is one of the most commonly discussed on on this forum. Try and take advantage of the information that's already on here, I highly suggest it.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by ricecake
...Try and take advantage of the information that's already on here, I highly suggest it.
Sounds like a mob-boss threat.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

i installed my first intake when i was 16 and didn't hurt anything. and i'm a girl. i did drop some kind of bolt down into the engine, but was able to retrieve it with my freakishly small 16-year-old girly hands.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

i installed the injen cai with 3 friends in highschool mechanics. print off both injen and the K&N instructions and go wild. simple enough.
TSX Cman
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 AM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

sorry for the asshole comment I made earlier, I'm still a little bitter from an accident the other night that shut down a major road for an hour because of some kids speeding. In my area, there have been 12 teen deaths in the past 2 weeks, from dumb shit. So with that said and out of the way....

....bolt ons are designed to be bolted on, and I know without even asking that this place has a search button, and it works, so look for the instructions
Old 10-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Banned

sorry for the asshole comment I made earlier, I'm still a little bitter from an accident the other night that shut down a major road for an hour because of some kids speeding.--snip--
I don't think your comment is crap.
You were really talking about FACTUAL STATISTICS - it is a fact that statistics after statistics show fatal accidents involving young people is at a high % .
Proof: Insurance rates.

One can say "*** I *** been driving since 16....and never put a dent....blah" - but it's like some lifelong smoker saying cig don't cause cancer cos he ain't got it - don't be so self-centric. Look at the BIG picture.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Drifting

sorry for the asshole comment I made earlier, I'm still a little bitter from an accident the other night that shut down a major road for an hour because of some kids speeding. In my area, there have been 12 teen deaths in the past 2 weeks, from dumb shit. So with that said and out of the way....

....bolt ons are designed to be bolted on, and I know without even asking that this place has a search button, and it works, so look for the instructions
I agree with some of your comments you posted earlier.. But, dude, if you didn't lie about your age, little more than 2 yrs ago, you were a teenager yourself.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Let's keep this thread on topic, or else it gets the lockage.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

....by the way...I may be sixteen but have an innate sense of driving....more importantly a good set of brakes, I wont be hitting anything
I wish you could read this in about 8 years...
...back to the topic of the thread...is it easier to install in SRI mode?...
It IS easier, but not by much. SRI to CAI involves installing one more pipe (with hose clamps) and putting one more vibramount on the car. If I was you, I'd take out the resonator regardless of which install you do. It's nothing but a useless piece of plastic once you have an intake (SRI or CAI).

And again, there's lots of instructions around. Search for "injen install" or "injen instructions", etc. Also, I'd recommend NOT doing the Injen-recommended take-the-whole-front-bumper off method. Instead do the K&N take-the-front-wheel-off method. I think this is much easier, especially if you're worried about damaging stuff. For this, you'll have to find the K&N instructions. If you can't find them, I have a .pdf file that I can e-mail you. PM me if you need it. Good luck.

Oh, and make sure you clear this with your parents before you go modding the car they paid for.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Oh, and make sure you clear this with your parents before you go modding the car they paid for.

It's not like they won't notice the difference.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

hehheh when the parents "borrow" the TSX for a spin they'd probly go "wow ! that is one noisy car !"
Old 10-12-2004, 01:32 PM
98EXL, v2.0.1.33

It's nothing but a useless piece of plastic once you have an intake (SRI or CAI).
that's not true, it is in fact a great dust magnet while it sits in the garage (sorry, I couldn't resist it.....my fingers just typed it out )
Old 01-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Advanced

hey madmaxx i just finished installing my injen in SRI mode it was pretty easy and since i kno who u are and have seen u around come and find me and i can help you it was pretty simple and easy
Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya dudes.... I don't think you guys should bash against kids. I am 17, and I just got my TSX too, I know the value of money, heck, I have been working my ass off helping my parents since age 11, so I partically paid for the car. I love it to death, I will drive carefully to prevent accidents, but once in a while, you gotta have fun

Modding cars are a way of life, every young kid wants and talks about modding their cars... it's what we do. And we are young like you said, we are inexperience and we get into accidents, well, that's how we learn. But, I know a few friends, same age, who has the driving experience of adults, some even better, becuase they practice daily, and they aviod many accidents, and so did i.....hahaha...

But, what is the definition of a GOOD EXPERIENCED DRIVER anyway? Is a 16-20yr teen always said to be inexp?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Y

But, what is the definition of a GOOD EXPERIENCED DRIVER anyway? Is a 16-20yr teen always said to be inexp?
Compared to a 40 year old who has driven for 20+ years -

However, you will always have the exception. I'd rather have some kid who is paying attention to driving than some older, late to work SUV driver with a latte in one hand and phone in the other.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Race Director

Im sorry for keeping this thread off topic, but let me throw in my 2 cents.

Although teens have a heavy foot, many adults do as well.

And although we are young, we still have some of the best reaction times, the difference is that we are not expierenced with the actual situations, . Of course thats a huge part in dealing with car related scenarios.

I mean, i hate when people bash teenagers and their parents for having expensive cars. Chances are, if one who does the bashing was put in that same situation, they woudlent complain if their life depended on it.

Ill admit, i do stupid shit when i drive, but who dosent? I drive safe when i have passangers, but i find myself driving like a cock when im by myself. Will it bite me in the ass one day? Im sure. But ive been driving for 2 years, and havent had a bender fender yet, so im assuming im doing something right with my driving.

Of course theres plenty of stories of kids crashing and dying out of sheer stupidity, but even if they were not in an m3, chances are the kids would still be speeding, just in a cheaper car.

Id rather crash in a more expensive safer car, then a "beater", because regardless of the power difference, 70 mph, is 70 mph when it's reached.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
just do it yourself, and dont even bother using the directions.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=biker]Compared to a 40 year old who has driven for 20+ years -

Attcually being a fireman and EMT ive seen alot of accidents...and the worse ones seem to be the 40 year old buisness men, who durring their midlife buy the car they wanted to whip around when they were 18...ex: Porsh, Vette, Audi, Ect... these guys think because of their experence there not gonna crash while cutting off everyone in sight (with a coffie in one hand, cell phone on headset)...I am 18, I do drive fast and hard but I feel that im a Damn good driver...Sure ive been in two accidents..neither of which were attcually my fault (one my car was parked, the other the shmuck tried to pass me on the right on a one lane rd)..but Ive avoided a hell of alot more do to my driving ability... Personally I think the most dangerous drivers on the road is probibly the early 30's soccer mom w/ 2 kids in a Suburban LX flying around the parkway...theres no way this side of shit that she can handle that car in the event of an emergency...and that thing is dangerous to everyone else.

Just my
Old 01-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Racer

younger people feel invulnerable, admit it youngnecks! let me give u an analogy, ever gone skiing and see the younguns speed down the slopes, even the inexperienced ones? it's cuz they are fearless, not cuz they are better skiers. as a general rule, and there are exceptions, as you get older you get less ballsy.

i think the same applies to driving. heck i dont blame them, they grew up watching ronin and fast n furious movies, who wouldnt want to blast out the gates with their newfound freedom on wheels?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I wish you could read this in about 8 years...

That's pretty damn true. I'm only 21 now and when I started driving I thought I was realy good because all the drivers ed guys said I was their best student. Still accident free, but many close calls back when I was your age. Not that I'm any older now.

Also asking your parents and letting them know what a CAI does is good too.

You're 16, speeding is the last thing you want to do. Just don't drive fast or drunk. And yes you probably will get into an accident. It seems to me from my high school experience that the kids that are cocky with their driving and think they're so good that they won't hit shit usually total their car or lose their license sometime before they turned 18.

Quick Reply: How badly am I going to mess up my car?