Hondata Reflash Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hondata Reflash Predicament

I've done a good amount of reading on the reflash for my '05 AT TSX and I will be getting that done soon, but I have some issues maybe you gals/guys can help answer.

I have two '05 TSX ECUs (I verified that both have the correct serial number for a Reflash) and I have two immobilizers. I wanted to leave my stock ECU "as-is" and put Reflash on the extra ECU I purchased. I've read here that I might have to synchronize the new ECU and immobilizer to my car and my keys. Is that accurate? Also, I have an aftermarket car alarm/remote start system. How will the new ECU/Immobilizer play with that?

Basically, what steps would I need to take to safely do this without any hitches?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moksha
I've done a good amount of reading on the reflash for my '05 AT TSX and I will be getting that done soon, but I have some issues maybe you gals/guys can help answer.

I have two '05 TSX ECUs (I verified that both have the correct serial number for a Reflash) and I have two immobilizers. I wanted to leave my stock ECU "as-is" and put Reflash on the extra ECU I purchased. I've read here that I might have to synchronize the new ECU and immobilizer to my car and my keys. Is that accurate? Also, I have an aftermarket car alarm/remote start system. How will the new ECU/Immobilizer play with that?

Basically, what steps would I need to take to safely do this without any hitches?

Thanks in advance!

Since the Hondata reflash now only costs US$295 this scenario is no longer worth the effort IMO...

Anyway, I would take your car to a Acura/Honda dealer. Swap the ECU & immobolizer yourself in the dealership parking lot & then let them configure the new ECU & immobolizer & keys.
At this point you have 2 sets of working ECU/Immobolizers working on your car.

Send 1 set of ECU/Immobolizer/key to Hondata to be reflashed.

Now you can still swap them back & forth.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by StealthTSX
Since the Hondata reflash now only costs US$295 this scenario is no longer worth the effort IMO...

Anyway, I would take your car to a Acura/Honda dealer. Swap the ECU & immobolizer yourself in the dealership parking lot & then let them configure the new ECU & immobolizer & keys.

Send 1 set of ECU/Immobolizer/key to Hondata to be reflashed.

Now you can still swap them back & forth.
Exactly the answer I needed. Thank you for being succinct!

[/thread]
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Swap the ECU & immobolizer yourself in the dealership parking lot & then let them configure the new ECU & immobolizer & keys.
Ah, I forgot to ask a couple of questions:

Will my car even function after I swap the ECU/Immobilizer; will it drive? Would I have to get my aftermarket remote start/alarm system re-synced as well?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moksha
Ah, I forgot to ask a couple of questions:

Will my car even function after I swap the ECU/Immobilizer; will it drive? Would I have to get my aftermarket remote start/alarm system re-synced as well?

Without the ECU/immobizer/keys configured by the dealer, the car will not start. That's why you have to swap them at the dealer.

Your aftermarket alarm is independant of the ECU/immobolizer & should not be affected by any of this.

Are you doing all of this just to avoid the downtime for your car while the parts are being sent to Hondata in California?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Cruisin'

Are you doing all of this just to avoid the downtime for your car while the parts are being sent to Hondata in California?
That's a part of the reason. The other reasons are that I may someday do the dual ECU setup that Hondata is currently not offering but has developed, or I may install another such program on the 2nd ECU. I could also sell the Hondata ECU later and put the original back into the car if I ever sell it to someone who doesn't care for it.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested in getting the ECU reflash too now, esp. since it is only $300 now.

Can someone explain to me the process?
I understand I have to pull the existing ECU out of my car and then send it to Hondata for them to flash at their site.

Where is the ECU located in our cars? How difficult is it to access and remove?
What's the typical turnaround time?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
I'm interested in getting the ECU reflash too now, esp. since it is only $300 now.

Can someone explain to me the process?
I understand I have to pull the existing ECU out of my car and then send it to Hondata for them to flash at their site.

Where is the ECU located in our cars? How difficult is it to access and remove?
What's the typical turnaround time?
It's behind the radio/console, on the floor. Ti the right of the drivers' right foot, and the left of the passengers' left foot.

It takes about 15 minutes to remove, or less. Good DIY instructions available with a search or on Hondata's site.

Turnaround is quick enough but depends on how you send it there (I chose overnight). And, what you choose for the return shipping (Again, overnight in my case). Deal with Heeltoe as they're awesome to deal with. I sent it out on a Monday, and had it back on a Thursday. I'm told that was a day 'later than typical' due to the influx of orders they had when the price initially dropped. So normally, they ship it back out the same day they receive it.

Oh, and you'll need to remove the immobilizer, which is another 10-15 minutes. Just make sure to have a very good tiny phillips head screwdriver, and to apply pressure when removing the two TINY screws holding the immobilizer ring in. Don't strip the heads!

Last edited by curls; 09-17-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
It's behind the radio/console, on the floor. Ti the right of the drivers' right foot, and the left of the passengers' left foot.

It takes about 15 minutes to remove, or less. Good DIY instructions available with a search or on Hondata's site.

Turnaround is quick enough but depends on how you send it there (I chose overnight). And, what you choose for the return shipping (Again, overnight in my case). Deal with Heeltoe as they're awesome to deal with. I sent it out on a Monday, and had it back on a Thursday. I'm told that was a day 'later than typical' due to the influx of orders they had when the price initially dropped. So normally, they ship it back out the same day they receive it.

Oh, and you'll need to remove the immobilizer, which is another 10-15 minutes. Just make sure to have a very good tiny phillips head screwdriver, and to apply pressure when removing the two TINY screws holding the immobilizer ring in. Don't strip the heads!
Thanks curls.
So Heeltoe is an authorized Hondata reseller/vendor?

Why do I have to remove the immobilizer? Does that get modified too? Is it in the way of the ECU?
Apologize in advance for the noob Q's.

Never mind, found the instructional page on Hondata.

So Heeltoe is the guy to talk to for getting the Hondata flash eh?

Last edited by psteng19; 09-17-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

Without the ECU/immobizer/keys configured by the dealer, the car will not start. That's why you have to swap them at the dealer.
Looks like the the Service Manager at the dealership won't do it. First, he made some B.S. excuse about how its a liability. I prodded further and asked him why and he couldn't give me a straight answer so he put me on hold and came back on the line and said that his mechanic told him it is only possible with a brand new ECU. Then I countered by telling him that other dealers have done it and I know it is possible. He then replied "well, then I would go to those dealers".

What a douche.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hondata Reflash

I just read this thread about the Hondata Reflash. I see you have a 2005 AT TSX like me. Im doing the reflash this weekend. I can't wait to get it done. One question have you done it already ?

If so how does the ride feel ?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One more question The hondata site says it costs $291.00

I found a place in fairfield CT do all places that do the service charge the same?