To Hondata or not to Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Hondata or not to Hondata

That is the question:

-- tax refund which is more than the cost of hondata deposited to the account: check

-- desire to have more top end power: check

-- justification to spend 600 dollars to make a car that is not fast, less not fast: uncertain

Convince me people.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car?

This is why I havn't decided on Hondata yet. Much like the traitor provench. I have one hell of an itch to trade in the TSX for something else.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
-- all mega moderators must have hondata or be demoted: check
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm thinking....

- Turbo 2007 TSX
- TL
- IS250
Old 04-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Got Phó?

Originally Posted by virus7

LoL Trading it in? For wut? How long you had your TSX? If you're on a lease then do it, and if not....wait for something else to come out. I can't wait to see the all new design for the S2K....thats my next car.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by domn
How long do you plan to keep the car?

This is why I havn't decided on Hondata yet. Much like the traitor provench. I have one hell of an itch to trade in the TSX for something else.
I'm not sure...I bought but I put a big chunk down so I will never be upside down. I've been thinking about the IS 250/350 in another year or two when they are availalble.(damn audi for making the new a4s ugly) At this point i'm almost 100 percent sure that I'll be upgrading a year or two down the road. Right now it doesn't make financial sense to me, but in a year or two I'm thinking it may be a reality

So the question really is: is 600 dollars too much to spend for an increased driving enjoyment for those 1-2 years and would hondata quench my thirst for a little more power?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm just waiting for the price drop on the Enzo and then I'll trade my TSX. Does anyone know where you can get 345/35ZR19 snow tires?

Tinkster, if you're keeping your car for a couple years go for the reflash. If you're going to sell next year, I can help you think of other ways to have fun with $600.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

come race me and i'll set your mind

well, to be honest, i haven't gotten on the gas since my runs at the track.

i drive slow like a mofo.

but it's so bad ass when you do floor it.

it's all up to you.

i've said since the beginning i would buy hondata if it came out. my decision was made.

i believe it is time to hang up the towel on modding cars for me after hondata.

:troutslap

so the final answer =
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'm just waiting for the price drop on the Enzo and then I'll trade my TSX. Does anyone know where you can get 345/35ZR19 snow tires?

Tinkster, if you're keeping your car for a couple years go for the reflash. If you're going to sell next year, I can help you think of other ways to have fun with $600.
wow. an enzo. sweet.

isn't it tinkerbell? not tinkster.

maybe he can take the 600 dollars and buy everyone shift knobs from acurazine?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just imagine the greatly improved driveability, proven performance results, OBD2 compliant, plug & plug installation, no piggy back devices, no wire cutting, won't adversely affect resale value, and choice of Hondata stickers.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Dan Martin

600 buys a lot of shift knobs! My current plan of attack is to wait for the new IS to come out and then after they've been out a year pick one up used to save on the depreciation hit. Like I said...600 for two years driving enjoyment might be a worthwhile trade.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were you planning on doing any other performance mods to your car Tinky?
If you were, Hondata is the best bang for the buck mod IMHO.

To get your full moneys worth, I think you would need to keep the car at least 2 years. For me there is no question that I will keep it for another two years at least, so Hondata is 100% worth it for me.

I wonder if you would be able to somehow sell your Hondatafied ECU when you were ready to get the IS. If you could figure that out and get like $300-$500 for it, then you should definitely buy Hondata now.

I should be getting my Hondata next week. As long as my ride works out and I can get Friday off. I should have mine by the end of week. I'll let you know my impressions of it in a 5AT with Injen.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Were you planning on doing any other performance mods to your car Tinky?
If you were, Hondata is the best bang for the buck mod IMHO.

To get your full moneys worth, I think you would need to keep the car at least 2 years. For me there is no question that I will keep it for another two years at least, so Hondata is 100% worth it for me.

I wonder if you would be able to somehow sell your Hondatafied ECU when you were ready to get the IS. If you could figure that out and get like $300-$500 for it, then you should definitely buy Hondata now.
Not really, though I do have an icebox. At first I was planning on putting some money into it but I figure that I don't want to dump a bunch of cash into something I won't get any return on.

That being said I will mostly likely have my car for another 2 years until i can pick up an IS used so it may be a worthwhile investment for my day to day drivign enjoyment. Tough call....
Old 04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one hell of an itch to trade in the TSX for something else.

minivan?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by virus7
II guess I can be a mod then. We have some holes to fill.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by fdl
minivan?
He'll need it.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Not really, though I do have an icebox. At first I was planning on putting some money into it but I figure that I don't want to dump a bunch of cash into something I won't get any return on.

That being said I will mostly likely have my car for another 2 years until i can pick up an IS used so it may be a worthwhile investment for my day to day drivign enjoyment. Tough call....
Yeah that is a tough call man. Okay let me ask you a couple more questions:

1. If you didn't get Hondata, do you think you would regret it later and always wonder about it?
2. Do you think you push your car hard enough that you would appreciate the extra performance?
3. Are there other things that you should be spending the refund money on instead?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Yeah that is a tough call man. Okay let me ask you a couple more questions:

1. If you didn't get Hondata, do you think you would regret it later and always wonder about it?
2. Do you think you push your car hard enough that you would appreciate the extra performance?
3. Are there other things that you should be spending the refund money on instead?
1) I'm thinking it through enough that I wouldn't regreat my decision one way or the other.

2) Without a doubt yes, I redline frequently.

3) I'd probably waste it on my g/f/taking a trip somewhere...or if I was smart put a bunch of it in savings
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
04 remembrance

No if you're planning to sell it within the two years.

Although it will bring you slight pleasure, I don't think $600 will be worth spending if you get nothing in return when you sell it later. Not to mention the effect it'll take on your warranty if anything goes wrong. (Yes I know it has to be directly related to the Hondata)
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
He'll need it.
You have one too many for most mini vans.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by dzuy
i believe it is time to hang up the towel on modding cars for me after hondata.

Sure. See post #97 in this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...6&page=4&pp=25.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
minivan?
Not until the wife has an itch to trade in the Rendezvous.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by vwong

Sure. See post #97 in this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=4&pp=25.
dzuy and :troutslap good!

TinkySD, go for it !!! Simple reason: you say you redline frequently.

'nuff said
Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'll make my decesion about Hondata sometime this fall.

The IS250 and any news about a possible more powerful TSX will factor into the decesion. I think you should do the same Tinky

BTW - I really like your idea about waiting a year to pick up a used IS. Only problem is its a first year model. I'll never by anything first year again.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

1) I'm thinking it through enough that I wouldn't regreat my decision one way or the other.
Personally, if I didn't get it myself, I know I would always wonder about it and probably eventually get it. I figure I should just get it now and get my money's worth out of it. It sounds like you would be happy either way though, so that's good. I guess I'm more like Dzuy, I've wanted Hondata every since the day I heard about it. My mind was pretty much already made up back then

2) Without a doubt yes, I redline frequently.
See, sounds like you would get some great use out of it. I'm a high rever too and Hondata was designed just for us.

3) I'd probably waste it on my g/f/taking a trip somewhere...or if I was smart put a bunch of it in savings
I feel you on this. I had to make a decision between going to Vegas and Hondata. I picked the Hondata. I'll probably still go to Vegas soon, but I just have to put it off for a little now. I look at it this way, spending money on Hondata will allow me to appreciate it for years to come, while going to Vegas is short term, and after I get back I won't have anything to show for it. Might as well spend money on something I can appreciate over the long term.

With all that being said, I think you should just get it Tinky. You're always been so active in all of the Hondata threads, I'm actually kind of surprised that you're still not sure about it. You only live once!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:44 PM
i want my nuku nuku futon

I'm thinking....

- Turbo 2007 TSX
- TL
- IS250
are u certain the 2007 TSX will have a turbo option tho?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I'll make my decesion about Hondata sometime this fall.

The IS250 and any news about a possible more powerful TSX will factor into the decesion. I think you should do the same Tinky

BTW - I really like your idea about waiting a year to pick up a used IS. Only problem is its a first year model. I'll never by anything first year again.

I'm not too worried about it..especially a lexus. Plus, I plan on going certified pre owned through a dealer which usually comes with an extended warranty.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gundamZZ
are u certain the 2007 TSX will have a turbo option tho?
Even if it doesn't, it certainly will have more power.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Audi Driving Snob

:waitsfordomntobashthenoob:

There is a lot yet to be determined but the IS has me locked in at this point. MSRP should be similar to the tsx(slightly higher), 6 speed at with paddle shift, rwd, similar weight to the last generation but slightly larger(due to the droping of the cast iron i-6 for a v6).
We shall see..I think i'm done buying new cars for a while. Certified preowned is a good option.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Instructor

See, I never understood this concept people have of return on investment for cars. To me, everything about a car is an expense only to be recouped only in terms of driving pleasure or functionality. There is nothing about obtaining a car that is an investment, unless you plan to seal it in a vault, keep it mint and hope there are a lot of fanatics out there willing to spend stupid amounts of money on collectibles.

As for spending $600 on it or not, well it breaks down to twenty-five bones per month over the next two years. That’s five lunches out less a month, five less frappe-expresso-mochachino concoctions a month, or a DVD or two CDs less a month. Not much of an expense to enhance the driving joy over the next couple of years. And nevermind all that talk about “well if you invest it for 30 years at x rate of return, you’ll have one beeellion dollars when you retire”. Yes, $600 over time at some rate of return will be more, but chances are you’re more likely to spend it on something anyway, nickel and dimed being a high probability. And we’re talking disposable income anyway right, cause I’m sure you’ve got retirement accounts already taken care of.

But, as you stated, the car isn’t fast and no amount of money spent (sensibly) in modifications will make it “fast” in any bragging sense. So perhaps it would be best to put the $600 away in some investment instruments and use as a part of the down payment for a more powerful car in the later years.

So after all that if your ultimate goal is… to enhance driving experience – do it.

To make the car faster or more power – don’t and buy another car. IMHO.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Audi Driving Snob

You're right in the investment terms, of course. I didn't actually mean invest in the classic term, more along the lines that you can recoup some percentage of your cost for a vehicle, but any money you put into modification is 100% lost.(and in fact could lower the resale value of your car)

You really did nail it on the head for me, it's not a lot of money to spend for driving enjoyment, but could still be used somewhere else. Of course I don't think anyone bought a tsx thinking it would be a fast car, it's been a great all around car for the money and I"m not sure it warrants spending anything on the performance other than new tires/rear sway which I have. The fact that hondata is such a great mod is theo nly reason i'm contemplating doing it!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Then I'd do it, no questions asked.

I'm still waiting for the 05 issue to be resolved. As soon as it is, I'm all for it... knowing full well that in two to three years I'll step over to the IS 350 when it comes in stick.

If the $600 still bugs, just put away $60 a month and by the end of the year you're straight.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Sure. See post #97 in this thread, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...6&page=4&pp=25.

i did say for now.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

buy hondata TinkySD or we will call you tinkerbell 4evAr

Old 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Advanced

:waitsfordomntobashthenoob:

There is a lot yet to be determined but the IS has me locked in at this point. MSRP should be similar to the tsx(slightly higher), 6 speed at with paddle shift, rwd, similar weight to the last generation but slightly larger(due to the droping of the cast iron i-6 for a v6).
We shall see..I think i'm done buying new cars for a while. Certified preowned is a good option.
Thats gonna be a 6-speed automatic paddle shift isn't it?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by camoe
Thats gonna be a 6-speed automatic paddle shift isn't it?
Ill definitely be test driving one when they come out!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Looks like dzuy wants to get for a few days...
Old 04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Looks like dzuy wants to get for a few days...
Nah, I only threaten people I don't like with the
Old 04-15-2005, 05:02 PM
n00b

Ill definitely be test driving one when they come out!
Same here. And hopefully will be getting one at the end of the year too.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:08 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Same here. And hopefully will be getting one at the end of the year too.
it is a very tempting car.....it the first tsx competitor that has pulled my attention away from the tsx

Quick Reply: To Hondata or not to Hondata