Hondata K Pro now out for the 04-06 TSX!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Hondata K Pro now out for the 04-06 TSX!!

Taken from:

http://hondata.com/kpro_dual_ecu_tsx.html

We will have a sale up shortly.

K-Pro Dual

This package enables a reprogrammed stock ECU and a specially modified K-Pro to work together to allow full tunability of supported drive by wire Acura TSX vehicles.
It consists of three parts:

A K-Pro fitted to a Hondata or user supplied compatible ECU
The dual adapter cable
Reflashing your stock ECU

Applications

2004-2006 K24 US market Acura TSX Manual with ECU part # 37820-RBB-A02-A05
2004-2006 K24 US market Acura TSX Auto with ECU part # 37820-RBB-A54-A61
Pricing

Price Description
$1995* 04-06 Dual adapter harness & K-Pro installed in new ECU.
$1395* 04-06 Dual adapter harness & K-Pro installed in user supplied ECU.
$495* 04-06 Dual adapter harness User supplies K-Pro & ECU

For customers that already have a Hondata reflash, there is a $100 discount.

* These prices include the Dual adapter harness, reflashing the stock ECU, and modifying the circuitry of both ECUs to work together.

Are there any other costs?

Yes. The K-Pro requires an Air-Fuel ratio sensor from a US 2002 D17 Civic (Part # 36531-PLR-003) as the stock sensor is incompatible. You purchase this from your Honda dealer.

Features

Main features:

Factory reliability for your TSX.
Easy starting.
Dash water temperature display functions normally.
All the features of the K-Pro:
Injector re-calibration.
Fully mapped boost tables.
Nitrous control.
Datalogging.
Boost control.
And more...
See the K-Pro page for more information.

Operating notes

The K-Pro dual was designed to operate your car as safely as possible. In order to do this, we switch off systems in the stock ECU that the K-Pro takes control over. This enables the stock ECU to run without any error codes. No error codes means the VSA (vehicle stability assist) works as intended.

As there is no communication between the stock ECU and K-Pro, the status of the cruise control and air-conditioning, under control of the stock ECU, is not conveyed to the K-Pro.

We were unable to get the cruise control functioning safely, so cruise control is permanently switched off in the stock ECU.

With air conditioning in operation the idle speed may briefly change by 100 RPM when the compressor is engaged or disengaged.

Should the K-Pro need repair or maintenance, the stock ECU can still operate the car by itself if the adapter harness is removed and you have stock injectors. The rev limit is lower (6000 rpm) and VTEC disabled.

K-Pro Dual compatible ECUs

Used ECUs for the K-Pro Dual may be sourced from the following vehicles

2002-2004 RSX Base 5 speed (PND -A0 ECU)
2002-2004 RSX Type S 6 speed (PRB A03-A08, PRB-305 ECU)
2002-2005 Civic Si (PNF ECU)
These two ECUs have fewer nitrous outputs and emissions controls:

2002-2005 Japanese DC5 Integra Type R (PRC ECU)
2003-2005 Japanese Civic Type R (PRD ECU)
Can I send a used K-Pro

Yes. Any 02-04 K-Pro is suitable for K-Pro dual ECU operation providing the unit works perfectly. (After conversion to dual ECU operation the K-Pro cannot be converted back for single ECU operation.)

How do I purchase this?

Contact a Hondata dealer to arrange purchase. Fill out this form and send with your stock ECU and a donor ECU from the list above (if not purchasing a new ECU) to Hondata.

What do I need to send?

Send the stock ECU with a matched key and immobilizer and a donor ECU from the list above (if not purchasing a new ECU)

How do I remove my ECU and immobilizer?

The ECU is located behind plastic panels to the right of the driver's right foot and the left of the passenger's left foot. Both panels will need to be removed. You will need a Philips screwdriver and 10mm socket. Complete removal instructions are to be found on this page. Alternatively you may download and print out the TSX ECU removal pdf file(300k).

What gains can I expect?

The stock TSX ECU limits the cam advance to 20 degrees. (even though the mechanism is capable of 25 degrees) By machining the VTC mechanism to allow 45 degrees of advance and using the K-Pro you can pick up torque throughout the rev range, especially if you have an intake and headers.

The following graph is a test of a stock ECU followed a few minutes later by a tuned K-Pro in an internally stock 2004 TSX. For both tests the TSX is equipped with identical bolt-ons:

Injen intake
Hytech headers,
High flow cat,
Hytech exhaust
Green line is K-Pro tuned with the dual adapter harness (3600 rpm vtec point)
Pink line is stock ECU

See here for more tuning info:

http://hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

If I sell the car or K-Pro, how do I return the ECU to stock?

Send the stock ECU + cashier's check for $100 to Hondata. This covers the cost of reflashing the ECU back to stock and return freight for the continental USA.

What about the 07 and 08 TSX?

Hondata cannot program the 07 and 08 Acura TSX ECUs. It is possible that an 04-06 ECU might work in an 07-08 TSX, but this has not been tested.

Notes

OBDII Scan tools. OBDII and Honda factory scan tools connect to the stock ECU. They will not register the status of systems like VTEC and the oxygen sensor as they are switched off. This must be accessed through the K-Pro datalogging. Note that the K-Pro is not smog legal, and for off road use only.

User Supplied ECUs. User supplied ECUs must be checked before sending to Hondata. Any damaged or faulty ECUs will incur a processing cost.

ECU Mounting. The dual adapter harness is designed to allow the stock ECU to remain in the factory position and the harness then can be run under the carpet along center tunnel and the K-Pro ECU placed under or behind the driver's seat. Picture showing ECU in footwell.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This basically confirms the soon availability of the reflash for 05 AT because the k-pro requires that the oem ecu be refalshed also and the fact that they removed the note "will never be available" from their site.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
East Coast Crew

Best news I've heard all day!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
can't wait to hear sound clips of tsx's going ppsssssshh
Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hondata cannot program the 07 and 08 Acura TSX ECUs. It is possible that an 04-06 ECU might work in an 07-08 TSX, but this has not been tested.
this doesn't sound very promising. it actually sounds like us 07+ guys are absolutely left out unless we want to swap an 06 ecu in.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
It'll be fun to see people really work this engine. I like the whole Turbo thing, but I'd like to see what NA peeps do with it.

Now on to that 05 5at reflash.....
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to be an error on the required O2 sensor info above. Hondata listed an O2 sensor "from a US 2002 D17 Civic (Part # 36531-PLR-003) as the stock sensor is incompatible". However, 2002 Civic doesn't use that particular part number. That part number is for 2004 - 2005. Some clarification is needed before someone buys the sensor.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
It'll be fun to see people really work this engine. I like the whole Turbo thing, but I'd like to see what NA peeps do with it.

Now on to that 05 5at reflash.....
Im all for the NA scene right now.. I dont know if alot of guys will be going NA since there's alot more to do to get the car to make power. But hopefully there will be a select few.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by JTso
There seems to be an error on the required O2 sensor info above. Hondata listed an O2 sensor "from a US 2002 D17 Civic (Part # 36531-PLR-003) as the stock sensor is incompatible". However, 2002 Civic doesn't use that particular part number. That part number is for 2004 - 2005. Some clarification is needed before someone buys the sensor.
Isnt that part about $200+?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
this doesn't sound very promising. it actually sounds like us 07+ guys are absolutely left out unless we want to swap an 06 ecu in.
even then, there is no guarantee that swap will work.

i'm trying to ask them a few questions on their forum about the swap since they brought it up, specifically--

1) does the swap have to be done with a k-pro'ed 06 ecu or can you just test the factory ecu/immobilzer from the 06 in the 07/08's
2) possible ramifications to the car if the ecu isn't compatible (they recommended not swapping the 06 reflash into the 07/08's, but maybe k-pro might be different since it's not some fixed base map?)
3) will they test the swap down the road

maybe they'll provide some insight. it would suck if you could only try the swap by purchasing k-pro and the donor ecu, as well as an 06 ecu, only to find out it doesn't work at all on our years.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
even then, there is no guarantee that swap will work.

i'm trying to ask them a few questions on their forum about the swap since they brought it up, specifically--

1) does the swap have to be done with a k-pro'ed 06 ecu or can you just test the factory ecu/immobilzer from the 06 in the 07/08's
2) possible ramifications to the car if the ecu isn't compatible (they recommended not swapping the 06 reflash into the 07/08's, but maybe k-pro might be different since it's not some fixed base map?)
3) will they test the swap down the road

maybe they'll provide some insight. it would suck if you could only try the swap by purchasing k-pro and the donor ecu, as well as an 06 ecu, only to find out it doesn't work at all on our years.
they would need 06 immoblizer and key with the ecu.. i dont think you can just send them an 06 ecu without the other 2..
Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
they would need 06 immoblizer and key with the ecu.. i dont think you can just send them an 06 ecu without the other 2..

no, i know you need a paired immobilizer and ecu. i just didn't bother typing it.

anyways. i'm kind of itching to look for an 06AT ecu now. and i just read in the other thread that the 06AT supercharger is out. wtf. someone throw the 07/08's a freaking bone!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Im all for the NA scene right now.. I dont know if alot of guys will be going NA since there's alot more to do to get the car to make power. But hopefully there will be a select few.
Very true. NA isn't the easiest path to power. However, I'm sure there are a couple of Honda purists like yourself out there. As the scene (hopefully) develops, we'll see all different stages of tune for the k24 as the k20 has - NA or FI.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Isnt that part about $200+?
Yep, this setup is getting more expensive.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice but very expensive!!! I am satisfield with Hondata Reflash!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
However, 2002 Civic doesn't use that particular part number. That part number is for 2004 - 2005. Some clarification is needed before someone buys the sensor.
2004-2005 Civic is correct. Web site has been updated.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Just want to answer a few questions that were posed to me:

1) I read that the stock ECU can still operate the car by itself (lowered rev limit + VTEC disabled), but can you still drive a S/Ced TSX after installing the reflash stock ECU?

The system will be just like any hondata s300 or kpro style system, the
user will have to upload a basemap to the kpro and drive on the basemap.

2) Does the $100 rebate apply to S/C owners who also have a Hondata reflash?

The $100 discount is instant for customers who already have had a
reflash done on their ECU, including CT customers, according to my Hondata sales person.

3) What's the lead time from the day we send out our ECU to the day we receive everything back?

Hondata does not cover shipping either way so it's really up to the customer on shipping times and what they want to pay for. It will take 2-3 days for Hondata to convert the ECU and set up the K-PRO.
system. Shipping time is dependant upon what shipping method the
customer pays for.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Just a heads up this is available for sale. Please PM me for pricing.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Anyone know if there is any way to pass a Cali smog test with this? Upload a new basemap or something?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So in a nutshell, the VSA, AC, are functional but we lost Cruise control only? Not bad at all!

Thanks for all the info Josh.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Unregistered User

Anyone know if there is any way to pass a Cali smog test with this? Upload a new basemap or something?

K pro will come with a pre set fuel map which is same as stock. U can switch back anytime u want
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by valeratj
K pro will come with a pre set fuel map which is same as stock. U can switch back anytime u want
Ya, but is it completely invisible to OBDII diagnostic plug-in and whatever other diagnostic plug-ins there are?

I'm certain there is a way to make it pass the exhaust portion, but does it look exactly stock when they plug-in to the OBDII port?

FYI, the 05 5at didn't get a reflash because they couldn't figure out how to get it to pass smog...the VIN number that was thrown out didn't match the car or something like that.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Unregistered User

Ya, but is it completely invisible to OBDII diagnostic plug-in and whatever other diagnostic plug-ins there are?

I'm certain there is a way to make it pass the exhaust portion, but does it look exactly stock when they plug-in to the OBDII port?

FYI, the 05 5at didn't get a reflash because they couldn't figure out how to get it to pass smog...the VIN number that was thrown out didn't match the car or something like that.
I have 04 ECU at home and I can get it reflashed for $125 so it would work in my car. I could slam it back after KPRO was installed and pass smog check.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

^^That's been the option since we first found out that the 05 5at wasn't possible to be reflashed.

It would be a major selling point to me if you could get Kpro, and have it pass smog out here in Cali.

I don't know why I care so much....I'm waiting for the 05 5at reflash, not Kpro. Its been a LOOONNNG wait.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Unregistered User

^^That's been the option since we first found out that the 05 5at wasn't possible to be reflashed.

It would be a major selling point to me if you could get Kpro, and have it pass smog out here in Cali.

I don't know why I care so much....I'm waiting for the 05 5at reflash, not Kpro. Its been a LOOONNNG wait.

Read the scheme. The plug-in thing will be connected to the ECU, u will choose fuel map of stock ECU and most likely pass smog. I am waiting for reflash too. KPRO is too expensive for me
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Special-K

I can understand why your waiting for a reflash but you would benefit more with a k-pro.. but again that depends on how far your willing to go with modding your car. Might be an even longer wait for an 05 auto flash..
Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Safety Car

I can understand why your waiting for a reflash but you would benefit more with a k-pro.. but again that depends on how far your willing to go with modding your car. Might be an even longer wait for an 05 auto flash..
Oh I agree. I was going to fill my time with getting pulleys and heeltoe's cat before the reflash came out.

I've spent enough money on this car to make me happy, and it'll be my DD for the next 5-6 years. So the less maintenance/tinkering, the better. Might be buying a used m3 in about a year anyways, so my TSX needs to be finished.

The great thing is, there is choice now. I'm just ready to see the K24 be fully utilized.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Very good news for 04-06. Very bad news, or atleast no news, for 07-08. Eh, saves me money I guess.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM
where is my garage?!

07/08 years: a new hope

i posed a few questions on hondata's forum regarding the possibility of 04-06 ecu swap into the 07-08's that they mentioned in their press release. they were kind enough to provide this answer.

anyone in driving a 07-08 in cali care to be a guinea pig late-january/early-february?

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:10 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda's wiring diagrams indicate the 04-06 ECU should drive the 07/08 TSX.

They also indicate the 04-06 ECU installed in this car loses the ability to communicate with the stock OBD II connector, so there is no way of datalogging from the stock ECU for things like drive by wire problems etc. It would require the installation of a wire from the ECU to the OBD II connector.

If someone in SoCal would like to would like to make contact with us, I could test the dual adapter harness on an 07-08 fairly quickly with an 04 ECU.

However, we have a lot on our plate with the 04-06 TSXs so I would suggest making contact in about 5-6 weeks.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does the setup work with the Civic O2 sensor?

Would I just remove the stock O2 sensor and hook it up in place of the stock one?

Or would I have to put an extra bung in my header and run with 2 sensors? (Stock O2 hooked up to the Stock ECU and Civic O2 hooked up to the K-Pro)
Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Just replaces the 02 sensor. Primary one not the secondary...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Are you fuckin kidding me those bastards * why did I get an 07 why!!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know the price on that Civic O2 sensor? Just trying to figure out the total cost for this setup.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Special-K

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Anyone know the price on that Civic O2 sensor? Just trying to figure out the total cost for this setup.
i've seen a few different prices but its over $200.. i've seen as low as $225 and as high as $290ish...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Unregistered User

Junk yards will save u $$$
Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
All tolled, this is what I've come up with for the guys who already have the Comptech S/C:

1) K-Pro (w/ $100 discount for having the S/C reflash) = $1,900.00
2) 04-05 Civic O2 sensor = $230.00
3) RC550 fuel injectors = $375.00
4) Walbro 255 fuel pump = $100.00
5) 3.0" Pulley Boys high-boost pulley = $115.00
6) Installation = $700.00 (obviously will vary from shop to shop)
7) Dyno tune = $500.00
Total $3,920.00

Again, this is just a rough estimate of what I think would be necessary to make the K-Pro setup worthwhile, so take it as you will.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Do not use RC550 injectors with the supercharger. You will get a misfire from the poor spray pattern. You must use RC 650cc injectors.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hondata
Do not use RC550 injectors with the supercharger. You will get a misfire from the poor spray pattern. You must use RC 650cc injectors.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up .

What do you think about running an adjustable FPR - necessary or optional?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Special-K

Originally Posted by hondata
Would RC 650cc injectors be over kill for a highly modded N/A TSX?.. Highly modded meaning with Cams/Pistons/ etc.

Last edited by PrecyseStylez; 12-04-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DAYTA
All tolled, this is what I've come up with for the guys who already have the Comptech S/C:

1) K-Pro (w/ $100 discount for having the S/C reflash) = $1,900.00
2) 04-05 Civic O2 sensor = $230.00
3) RC550 fuel injectors = $375.00
4) Walbro 255 fuel pump = $100.00
5) 3.0" Pulley Boys high-boost pulley = $115.00
6) Installation = $700.00 (obviously will vary from shop to shop)
7) Dyno tune = $500.00
Total $3,920.00

Again, this is just a rough estimate of what I think would be necessary to make the K-Pro setup worthwhile, so take it as you will.
What sort of hypothetical gain are you netting here though? How much from stock and how much over the normal S/C gain?

Quick Reply: Hondata K Pro now out for the 04-06 TSX!!