HONDATA Impressions.....and a great real world test to come....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HONDATA Impressions.....and a great real world test to come....

So, you've all heard about my saga getting the damn HONDATA and I'm ready to give my impressions now that I have had it for about 5 days.

I must say that it really is as great as everyone says it is..well worth the money. There is a small increase in low end torque as some people have noted, but nothing crazy.

Shifting is a dream now! There is little to no power loss between gears and it just drives ...smooth. That alone makes it worth the money. The throttle response is just amazing now!

I can actually say with confidence now that the car is quick. Before...it was ok...I'm being honest here, but now it really is a quick car! It feels like a sports sedan..it's as fast as it looks.

There is passing power now in 6th gear which is a nice surprise. At no time do you feel like you absolutely need to down shift...well maybe below 2K rpm...but all you 6MTs know what an improvement that is.

With the Injen CAI it sounds like a beast at WOT! If anyone is afraid of the car being too loud with the CAI...DO NOT GET THIS MOD

I was lucky enough to get the Comptech RSB two days before the HONDATA came and I must say that kicks ass too. Refer to all of the other reviews and I agree 100% with what everyone says. If anyone is thinking of getting these two mods though, treat yourself and get them both at the same time...it's like having a whole new car

That brings us to the test....... I met with LannyM this evening and we continued our little experiment discussed in the following thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=23586&page=3

Well let's just say that we proved without question this evening that HONDATA adds mucho horsepower and torque. I'll let LannyM discuss in full...he's got the lingo down...I'm a noob when it comes to performance mods

As an added bonus too......he has it on video He said he'll post tonight so standby kids

SSN out....unofficial winner of the award for "Most Dramatic Build-up to a Mod"
Old 07-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

does LannyM have a MT?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to read all these good reviews of Hondata. Now you just need to get better rubber and you're set
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by dzuy
does LannyM have a MT?
Yeah LannyM has a 6MT.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
Nice to read all these good reviews of Hondata. Now you just need to get better rubber and you're set
I'm running Yoko Avid V4s right now due to the CT weather....they're pretty good...Lanny has AVS100s though...they look real nice
Old 07-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Can't wait to drive

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I'm running Yoko Avid V4s right now due to the CT weather....they're pretty good...Lanny has AVS100s though...they look real nice
Didn't see that in his sig, so that's great I like how easily the mods work for TSX, without throwing off the balance of the car.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Faster, please.

Congrats!

I was actually about to pm you to see what was happening. That's awesome that you added the bar at the same time. It's definitely the best mod package (CAI, Hondata, swaybar, short-shifter) out there for our cars at this point, IMO. Enjoy it! About a month now and I still love everything about it!!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
i cant wait to see the vid!!

i really cant wait to get the Hondata, i think i am going to get DC headers in the next few months and then on to the reflash.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Hondaholic

Okay, here's the vid.

Just or a little background, we met up before Jeremy got the Hondata mod and did a couple of runs as a baseline. Peformance wise, he had CAI, I'm stock, both 6MT. As I expected, his car pulled ever so slightly. We did 4k in 2nd gear through 4th, and his car was up both runs about 1/2 a car, about what I would expect with the 10hp CAI gain.

His car sounded nice with the CAI, but noticeably snarlier with Hondata. Very mean sound.

Repeating the same test tonight, his car pulls significantly stronger. What was a 1/2 car advantage 2nd though 4th has turned into an easy 4 car advantage. I have no doubt running from 1st would widen that gap by another couple of cars, with the 1-2 shift bog eliminated on his ride....

One thing about the vid, I have several minutes of footage from tonight, including a white NSX rolling through town and an Escalade pickup being driven by a complete moron who decided to try to sideswipe Jeremy for no apparent reason. But, so far, I have only been able to figure out how to transfer video from my cam (Canon Optura 20) to my computer via USB off the memory card, not the tape. And, the card only records in 10 second clips. I recorded a 10 second segment of our run, so that's what you'll see; if there are any video experts that want to PM me about getting larger segments to my Powerbook shoot me a PM.

Anyway, thumbs up to Hondata, and on to the video.......

Hondata run

Escalade Asshole
Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

That was pretty good, with the truck. Looks like he was all ready to just go around, and wasn't paying attention to realize that Jeremy was getting out of the way.... Yeah, nothing better than to not pay attention while you speed through traffic...

I just have to say, you guys with the Hondata are just killin' me.... as an owner of an '05 model.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Great vid! That pretty well settles it for me. Now I've just got to work some car downtime into my schedule...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Man, you're killing me. I want the Hondata reflash even more, if that's possible. Terrific side-by-side comparison, now I just need to figure out how to be without my car for 2-3 days and get the damn reflash done. My wife won't go for it, but after seeing/reading your comparison I think I'm just going to tell her to get used to it -- I'm a gearhead and that's the way it is. Must . . . have . . . more . . . horsepower!

Great work, guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice video! Hurry up and add a header. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by JTso
Yes, get a header, it will be extremely complimentary of the reflash.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
sweet vids! i cant believe i dont have the reflash yet...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Yeah, I don't know what the deal with the Escalade was......what a dick. I was completely out of his way and didn't hold up traffic or anything.

If someone can hook up Lanny with a tech assist, please do! There is alot more video and you can get a better idea of how much I pulled away
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Polar Chicken

You know, if I did not need new tires, I would have this mod...Must have this mod. Must have, must have, have must, must must must
Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I noticed in your Vid that you were being owned by that other car What's up with that??
Old 07-21-2005, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyM

Repeating the same test tonight, his car pulls significantly stronger. What was a 1/2 car advantage 2nd though 4th has turned into an easy 4 car advantage.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lanny, make the video a little longer was that the length SSN had on you before the stupid esclade??

did you have your windows down? i can hear the intake, damn it's loud.

great comparo!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Faster, please.

Awesome! I have pretty much the same car with the same mods so it's cool for me to see what it looks/sounds like from outside. Can't help you with a longer vid but I'd like to see it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Instructor

for 04 owners

me and 05 owners

if hondata doesn't plan on 05 ecu
Old 07-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Very impressive -- Is there a clip of the after hondata run from side by side to the 4 car lead?

Sounds like if you went from a stop a 4-5 car lead wouldn't be out of the question(if not more) that's a good half second in the quarter mile
Old 07-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jiggaman
sweet vids! i cant believe i dont have the reflash yet...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
I noticed in your Vid that you were being owned by that other car What's up with that??
Originally Posted by mg7726
lanny, make the video a little longer was that the length SSN had on you before the stupid esclade??
Just to be clear, the video of the Escalade was not taken at the same time as the actual run. We were both cruising around 50mph, which is the speed limit. I saw the Escalade coming, probably going about 80mph, and Jeremy signaled and went to move to the right. The Escalade either couldn't wait or couldn't stop.

Originally Posted by mg7726
did you have your windows down? i can hear the intake, damn it's loud.
My windows were up, and the strap for the cam mount was partially obstucting the mic, but it still sounds good in the vid. My car is silent in comparison. You should hear his in person!

Originally Posted by TinkySD
Very impressive -- Is there a clip of the after hondata run from side by side to the 4 car lead?

Sounds like if you went from a stop a 4-5 car lead wouldn't be out of the question(if not more) that's a good half second in the quarter mile
I have more of the vid; I'll work on getting more posted........but yeah, I'm thinking 1/2 sec in the 1/4; probably 14.8?
Got Phó?

Man, any word on the 05 reflash yet?
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by xizor
:troutslap <- scissor.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Faster, please.

Do you have the short-shifter also? If not I highly recommend it. Cheap and good. I'm gonna try to add a DC header soon and then I'm done with the mods on this car. At least I keep telling myself that!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by JTso
yea. someone needs to make a video of me vs a stock tsx

:troutslap
Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by daddydliv
Do you have the short-shifter also? If not I highly recommend it. Cheap and good. I'm gonna try to add a DC header soon and then I'm done with the mods on this car. At least I keep telling myself that!
I was thinking of getting a short throw....how is the install...from what I've seen it can be a PITA.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Polar Chicken

The install should be very easy, the difficult part is getting the primary retaining clip out. I used a long phillips as a pry bar and the entire install took about 1hr. That includes dismantleing the center console and putting it back together.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LannyM
...One thing about the vid, ..., so far, I have only been able to figure out how to transfer video from my cam (Canon Optura 20) to my computer via USB off the memory card, not the tape. ...
If you were to transfer the video directly from the MiniDV tape to your computer (via Firewire), you'd end up with DV video on your computer, which runs about 3½MB per second. To make it suitable for web use, you'd need to convert and/or recompress it first, which must be what your camera is doing for you when it writes it to the memory card. Frankly, unless you want to start learning how to use movie software (what's it called on a Mac, iMovie or something?), the method you used is probably the simplest.

But, if you do feel like playing with it, basically these are the steps:

(Apologies for going a bit off topic. This is the limit of the detail I'll provide here.)
  1. Import the DV onto you computer.
  2. Optional - Use some video editing software to clip together just the bits you want to show. I use Adobe Premiere, but iMovie (is that the free one that comes with Macs?) or even QuickTime will work.
  3. Using the software from step 2 above, export the video to a format suitable for sharing on the web, such as QuickTime's .mov or .mp4 formats, or maybe Windows Media.
See http://conrad.st/video/ChadAdam.html or http://conrad.st/abby/Video/07AbigailSings.html for finished examples.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Faster, please.

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I was thinking of getting a short throw....how is the install...from what I've seen it can be a PITA.
I didn't install it myself. I'm sure I could've figured it out, but I've learned from experience that the amount of time and possible mistakes a diy involves that I'm better off just paying someone more experienced to do it. It was a friend anyway and he did the intake and swaybar at the same time. It's definitely worth it IMO.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by cconrad
If you were to transfer the video directly from the MiniDV tape to your computer (via Firewire), you'd end up with DV video on your computer, which runs about 3½MB per second. To make it suitable for web use, you'd need to convert and/or recompress it first, which must be what your camera is doing for you when it writes it to the memory card. Frankly, unless you want to start learning how to use movie software (what's it called on a Mac, iMovie or something?), the method you used is probably the simplest.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, that's kinda what I thought; I need a Firewire connection to get the MiniDV tape onto my Mac. I wasn't really looking to throw long videos together or do any editing, but just to be able to show 20 or 30 seconds would be nice. I'll probably pick one up and show a longer segment.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:10 AM
TS-SEX

Videos =

Escalade in video =

We get quite a few stupid drivers like that on our interstates in FL...
Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Hondata Problem

Had Hondata reflash done and it came back incorrectly. Pure Tuning Toledo OH is
authorized Hondata dealer that took ECU etc out. I had dyno done before and after and was way down on power at 5000 rpm after. They are waiting for owner of Hondata to get back in country this Monday to find out about correction. I have to take the car back in and leave again. I have to say Pure Tuning has been very good about this and doing all they can to correct. I will keep all posted.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

What the hell...really? That sucks a lot! I know for sure after the test we did that it worked....no question.

Hope everything works out for you
Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Wait a minute...you're 58 and tuning your car...and a Honda for that matter? You just threw all age demographics out the window buddy
Old 07-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice video LannyM....Hondata is the shiznit...
Old 07-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JWBacura
Had Hondata reflash done and it came back incorrectly. Pure Tuning Toledo OH is
authorized Hondata dealer that took ECU etc out. I had dyno done before and after and was way down on power at 5000 rpm after. They are waiting for owner of Hondata to get back in country this Monday to find out about correction. I have to take the car back in and leave again. I have to say Pure Tuning has been very good about this and doing all they can to correct. I will keep all posted.
Let's see the before and after dyno results.

Quick Reply: HONDATA Impressions.....and a great real world test to come....