Hondata heat gasket valuable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Faster, please.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondata heat gasket valuable?

I'm wondering if there is any significant benefit to adding the Hondata heat gasket. I know several people here have one but haven't gotten a definite answer as to whether or not there are any performance gains. I understand the theory behind it but is it really something I'll feel or just a waste of $60?

I'm having a few things installed next week by Chris Rado's crew (World Racing) and they didn't know much about it saying it was probably mostly hype. Just wanna know if it's worth having done or not. I'm particularly interested in anyone who has ONLY the gasket as an engine performance mod, but will look forward to any input from those that have one installed.

Gotta get some sleep but I'll check back in the AM for any replies.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I can't say the difference it made on my car, as I haven't dyno'd with it. But Hondata makes a ton of gaskets for a ton of cars and other people have had great results, so I see no reason not to expect the same. Actually $60 for a mod that could net 5hp is extremely cheap, considering an exhaust is $700-900 and worth probably 3. After the CAI, the gasket has to be the next most effective.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to hope of having some remote results, you will also have to do the TB coolant bypass modification. Then I guess it would help enhance the CAI's effect.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:26 AM
Über Geek

Originally Posted by sauceman
…you will also have to do the TB coolant bypass modification. Then I guess it would help enhance the CAI's effect.
Please explain what this is for those of us who don't drive Transformers.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The Throttle Body is the extension of the intake manifold. It regulates how much air will be let in, depending on how hard you press on the gas. There is a line of coolant that goes through it to heat up the air quickly on cold starts. It is a feature that just seems to help improve driveability, but I don't know what else if anything.

The main problem is that once the engine is heated, the coolant line will give out too much heat, thus heating up the air coming through the Throttle Body. The same thing happens with the intake manifold. It gets heated up by being bolted on to the engine itslef, so it gets pretty hot.

So having the heatshield on, with the coolant TB bypass, you will get some cooler air in the engine. Cooler air is denser and allows for more fuel to be injected in order to keep an ideal air/fuel ratio. More fuel and more air means more power. To the effect of about 1% for every 10°C of cooler air.

Hope it helps
Old 08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Automobile Aficionado

The Throttle Body is the extension of the intake manifold. It regulates how much air will be let in, depending on how hard you press on the gas. There is a line of coolant that goes through it to heat up the air quickly on cold starts. It is a feature that just seems to help improve driveability, but I don't know what else if anything.

The main problem is that once the engine is heated, the coolant line will give out too much heat, thus heating up the air coming through the Throttle Body. The same thing happens with the intake manifold. It gets heated up by being bolted on to the engine itslef, so it gets pretty hot.

So having the heatshield on, with the coolant TB bypass, you will get some cooler air in the engine. Cooler air is denser and allows for more fuel to be injected in order to keep an ideal air/fuel ratio. More fuel and more air means more power. To the effect of about 1% for every 10°C of cooler air.

Hope it helps
excellant explanantion
Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Faster, please.

Thank you for all of the input. I had figured all along that I'd do it since it's only $60 anyway, but when they sounded skeptical it planted a seed of doubt in my head (they are a professional racing crew).

It is a feature that just seems to help improve driveability,
Do you mean driveability only while the engine is cold or overall? And would I have to drive much differently than my normal cold engine routine?

BTW I am having at least 3 things done next week anyway - Injen CAI (black), Comptech Short Shifter, Comptech rear sway bar.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Dont imitatate/duplicate!

so what does this hondata gasket do. how long does it take to install and will it effect warranty?
the tsx is my first honda and my first car.
still learning here...
Old 08-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by zzzXpandaXzzz
so what does this hondata gasket do. how long does it take to install and will it effect warranty?
the tsx is my first honda and my first car.
still learning here...
It's a heatshield: it keeps the heat from the engine from transferring to the intake manifold. I don't see how it should kill your warranty, but check out just to be sure.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

It's a heatshield: it keeps the heat from the engine from transferring to the intake manifold. I don't see how it should kill your warranty, but check out just to be sure.
its not really a "shield" of any kind, more a spacer. Basically it replaces the thin metal gasket between the injectors and the engine block, its a thicker plastic material that prevents surrounding heat from heating up the air as it passes through the intake manifold. I could only see it hurting your warranty if you don't disassemble/reassemble the intake manifold/injectors. Its not hard, but you do have to disassemble a bit.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 PM

so the hondata gasket boosted your hp by taking heat out of the intake?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

so the hondata gasket boosted your hp by taking heat out of the intake?
yup, colder air means more can be packed into the cyclinders and exploded. CAI, throttle body bypass, hondata gasket all do the same thing, cool the air, just in different ways and to different degrees.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:14 AM

wuts this throttle body bypass?
can you buy this off hondata too?
how much is it?
and how much hp does it give you
Old 08-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here you go...
Old 08-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Faster, please.

I'd better stay away from the bypass mod as we do get freezing temps here in the winter quite regularly. However, does anyone know how effective the gasket is without the bypass (i.e. is it worth the $60)?
Old 08-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, as said in the thread, it is an easily reversible mod, so you could run with this mod in summer, and once you arrive later in fall season, at the same time you change tires for winter tires, you switch back to stock configuration and change your CAI to SRI at the same time.

I might consider doing this if I finally decide to install an Injen on mine.

Jtso, are you able to quantify the gains with the CAI/heatshield/TB coolant bypass?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm planning on another dyno run pretty soon for a hp gain comparison. One important thing we must realize. The most noticeable gain is prior to heatsoak. Once components are heatsoaked, the Hondata gasket, TB bypass, or the CAI won't provide much benefit until temparature is stabilized agan from air moving through the intake, tb, intake manifold. etc. Prior to my dyno runs, I usually hook up to an OBD2 scanner to monitor coolant and air temp to make sure the engine is up to operating temperature and temp condition is consistent (well, as much as possible). Otherwise, the results can be skewed by the different variables. I would be happy to see 3 hp gain.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

wuts this throttle body bypass?
can you buy this off hondata too?
how much is it?
and how much hp does it give you
those are great questions to search, its great for finding answers
Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
I'm planning on another dyno run pretty soon for a hp gain comparison. One important thing we must realize. The most noticeable gain is prior to heatsoak. Once components are heatsoaked, the Hondata gasket, TB bypass, or the CAI won't provide much benefit until temparature is stabilized agan from air moving through the intake, tb, intake manifold. etc. Prior to my dyno runs, I usually hook up to an OBD2 scanner to monitor coolant and air temp to make sure the engine is up to operating temperature and temp condition is consistent (well, as much as possible). Otherwise, the results can be skewed by the different variables. I would be happy to see 3 hp gain.
huh, if anything i would have figured the IMG and the bypass help reduce the effects of heatsoak.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
04 remembrance

Hey JTso, I pretty much read all your threads regarding aftermarket modifications and I'm quite curious to know what your current hp/tq is.

Care to share?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:06 PM
04 remembrance

Also, which modification are you most satisfied with?

I recently ordered an aem sri, because my oem air intake resonator was cracked from a slight fender bender, which I think is a better investment than to replace the cracked resonator.

iamhomin, who's eagerly waiting for the shipment to arrive.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm

For gains, if you look there, the V8 fbody has a 2% HP benefit from the bypass alone.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by outersquare
huh, if anything i would have figured the IMG and the bypass help reduce the effects of heatsoak.
Yes, the gasket and tb bypass will slow down/reduce the heatsoak condition. However, the hot under hood temp will eventually heatsoak everything under the hood. Insulating or coating the exhaust header/manifold can help reduce the heatsoak effect.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Hey JTso, I pretty much read all your threads regarding aftermarket modifications and I'm quite curious to know what your current hp/tq is.

Care to share?
My header install seems to have the most significant gain but the K&N offers the nicest sound effect. The last dyno run yielded 179.7 hp, 156.6 tq with a relatively tight engine. I'm hoping it will do a little better the next time.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JTso
My header install seems to have the most significant gain but the K&N offers the nicest sound effect. The last dyno run yielded 179.7 hp, 156.6 tq with a relatively tight engine. I'm hoping it will do a little better the next time.
What mileage did it have then? I felt the engine spreading it's legs a little more at the 10-15,000km mark, and even bettering a little more since. Even with my high mileage it still feels on top.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

The car had only 1500 miles about 5 months ago when I did the last dyno.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Racer

JTso...
do u mind telling me what kinda careeer do you pursue? something related to auto mechanics? or you are just soo crazy about cars!?
haha...i am sorry that i asked such a weird question, just that regular people i know don't know that much about cars
Old 08-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Haha.. I'm just a car enthusiast who really enjoys working on cars ever since I took autoshop back in high school looong time ago. However, there's no way I see myself working on other people's car everyday as a mechanic, but I did dream about owning a shop with a dyno for performance tuning.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Race Director

Hi.. i did a search..and came up with this thread. How exactly does one install a hondata heatshield? and would it be smart to get one before winter season...?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Hi.. i did a search..and came up with this thread. How exactly does one install a hondata heatshield? and would it be smart to get one before winter season...?
How-to: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9520

And I don't see an issue with installing it even before winter. Anytime is the right time.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Stokeless

Johnny...have you redyno'ed yet? let me know some numbers i have to install my gastket and TB bypass still...along with my oil catch. Im still waiting on hondata kpro so i can slap on the turbo...arg im almost so tired of waiting i might just get the comptech SC till i can turbo it and build the engine at the same time...=( i have no patience grrrr
Old 09-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Stoke, I'm waiting for you so we can go to the dyno together. So, hurry up with the installs already!