Hondata ECU Reflash is out ** '05 MT & '06 AT/MT now available! p.37**

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the Comptech Header does not add any extra noise?

I already have Injen intake. You guys think adding Comptech Headers will make it any louder?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the injen intake. im considering whether or not to rush onto some headers now. so many things to do but i may go outta town for school...
1) how much damage would this do to my warrunty, cuz i wouldnt mind tricking them if icoudl by not letting them know about it. but someone mentioned buying a spereate ecu and you think it wont work? i would like to interchange the ecu's if possible.
2) what happens if you go forced induction later, any way of you guys upgrading the tuning or do we have to sell our ecu now and get anew one.
i could think of more questions , but in good time
Old 03-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I think a lot of us want headers now.
Let's see if we can find a board vendor to offer us a groupbuy.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsx536
So the Comptech Header does not add any extra noise?

I already have Injen intake. You guys think adding Comptech Headers will make it any louder?

no it will not add noise......no worries, go ahead and get'em. Your intake is like an angry elephant compared to a church mouse noise the headers will add.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Professional Newbie

ya TSX Cman, i'm with you on that...i dont really wanna void my warranty
Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by taewlee
you can find alot of answers at www.vtec.net read the article there, explains alot

anyways, their tsx dynoed 190 at the wheels with just the aem short ram and dc header. Maybe with the injen cai, dc header, and single exhaust, we can get our cars to around 200 at the wheels which would mean our car would be at around 240hp at the crank =D =D =D
their tsx benches abnormally high, compare it to their baseline. I dyno'd 175whp w/ a CAI and 180 w/ CAI and hondata gasket. stokless has the highest w/ I/H/E and is only 184 or so, so theirs is a bit... off.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

the tovt site had intake, headers, gasket. then they dynoed with and without. showing very minimal gains in comparison

but theyre base wasnt very high with the intake, header and gasket so i dont get it?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'll be really interested to see what the dyno results are without and header or even an intake for that matter.(And for the AT) No way in hell I'm getting a header.

hondata, are you expecting similar gains with the AT?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xizor
their tsx benches abnormally high, compare it to their baseline. I dyno'd 175whp w/ a CAI and 180 w/ CAI and hondata gasket. stokless has the highest w/ I/H/E and is only 184 or so, so theirs is a bit... off.
Guys - the Hondata dyno charts are at the fly - not at the wheels. So whoever has 184 sounds like they are still king - for now
Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by yfin
Guys - the Hondata dyno charts are at the fly - not at the wheels. So whoever has 184 sounds like they are still king - for now
these are independent TOV benchs, their dynos are at the wheels
Old 03-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xizor
these are independent TOV benchs, their dynos are at the wheels
yep yep yep - I follow. Reading the TOV article again - they do say that that dyno usually reads about 10hp high
Old 03-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
temptation is creaping over me...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by yfin
yep yep yep - I follow. Reading the TOV article again - they do say that that dyno usually reads about 10hp high
it says that a dynapack reads 10hp higher than a dynojet. But TOV uses a dynojet, as has every other member here. TOV still reads high check out their aem sri review

Their base dynoed at 177, more than mine with a CAI. and w/ SRI, they dynoed 186, more than Stokeless w/ his I/H/E. Either their dyno results in more than normal, or they got a very strong engine from the factory
Old 03-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Great news. Im ready to buy one now...

So if I've got this right, we have to take our car to one of the Hondata dealers? Or do we remove ourselves the ECU and bring it to them?

Can this be a group buyable product?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Banned

Ok, so what's the deal with the gains? The product claims to have 29 hp increase, but that's only to the flywheel. If you figure mechanical loss into there, we can expect how much? 10-12 hp to the wheels?

And also, this question has been asked several times. What is the procedure for the flash?

I called Acura of South Bay (authorized Hondata dealer) and they quoted me 640 installed for the flash and 5-6 hours total for labor. So I'm assuming they can flash at that facility. Anyone have any insight?

More importantly, I wanna know how much power we can expect at the wheels!! If it's only 10-12 WHP, this isn't worth if for me, and I'll just wait for a turbo to come out.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by loxllxol
Ok, so what's the deal with the gains? The product claims to have 29 hp increase, but that's only to the flywheel. If you figure mechanical loss into there, we can expect how much? 10-12 hp to the wheels?

And also, this question has been asked several times. What is the procedure for the flash?
mechanical loss is 15% or so, 29hp at flywheel would be around 24.5 at the wheels, still quite good!

I believe all flashs are done at Hondata's facility, the dealers should package and send in your ECU.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

yes!

First off, thank God that this is out, I bought this car praying that Hondata would come out cause acceleration is weak to say the least coming from an Integra type R.

Second, I see that there is some confusion about the dynos. First off, you cannot compare two dyno plots done on two different dynos. Temperature, humidity, correction factor, altitude, and the way the operator has the settings all have an effect to a certain extent even with corrected numbers. Do not put too much faith into peak numbers of any kind. Sure, TOV's dyno might read high but high compared to what? The important thing is the # increase over stock rather than the number itself. It does not really matter at all whether Strokeless's car makes the same or more hp; two different dynos on two different days- no way of comparing the two accurately. Peak numbers dont mean shit anyway when racing so no reason to get worked up here.

Third, the Hondata dynos were done on a DYNOPACK not a DYNOJET. The difference is that DYNOPACK measure hp from the hubs, so losses from the weight of the wheels and the flexing of rubber onto the roller is diminished. GENERALLY speaking, that equates to about 5% less drivetrain loss depending on the weight of the wheels and the tires on the car (note: contrary to popular belief most drivetrain loss cannot be calculated as a percentage but rather as a set amount with a small percentage being attributed to physics so perhaps as someone said 10 hp is a more accurate way of saying basically the same thing). Therefore, this number is neither "at the wheels" or flywheel. Since dynos done separately should not be compared anyway, dynopacks are the more accurate dyno. You simply can account for more variables from what I understand at least- I'm not an operator of a dyno.

Note there has been a huge dispute on dynopacks vs dynojets as far as numbers go. The F22C's on the AP2 S2k's dynoed much much better on dynopacks than dynojets. I do not think it was ever resolved but they were consistently running 20 hp + more than 02-03's which had 5 hp more than 00-01's on DYNOPACKS. However, on dynojets, except for one plot, the difference compared to F20C S2k's was much much smaller- less than 10 hp.

One question though, I read that you guys (Hondata) will be testing the TSX with new cams. Does this mean that there will be another reflash avaliable for TSX's with cams as there will be no K-PRO correct? Also, any insight into who is making the cams? I know Skunk 2 is making some. I would really like to get some more top end umph. Right now, cams seem to be the main inhibitor.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

one last thing: to the poster above, dont get too worked up about peak numbers. You would be supprised how much horsepower under the curve will improve acceleration. I've seen ITR's with cams with only like 10 hp more than bolt-on ITR pull away from the bolt-on one because it made 20 hp more in the fat part of the powerband.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

First off Hondata Thankyou for your hard work, gonna sell those springs and start putting money aside, cant wait for this, Thankyou So Much....

TSX is gonna rip!...lol, Can't wait to have this in my car, thankyou
Old 03-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Special-K

What would you have to do with a Reflashed ECU once you decide to put a turbo kit onto the TSX?? Can you use that same ECU or will you have to purchase another? And whats with the cams? If you make cams, will you need to make an application for those cams?..Higher the rev limiter again? (8,500rpms! ) when will u test cams on the TSX with hondata?? Is there a Hondata tune for an exhaust system?..(e/i/h/reflash?) Can someone post RPM and WHP numbers that you should expect right now from this Reflash with intake and header?? All these numbers can be confusing!!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
What would you have to do with a Reflashed ECU once you decide to put a turbo kit onto the TSX?? Can you use that same ECU or will you have to purchase another? And whats with the cams? If you make cams, will you need to make an application for those cams?..Higher the rev limiter again? (8,500rpms! ) when will u test cams on the TSX with hondata?? Is there a Hondata tune for an exhaust system?..(e/i/h/reflash?) Can someone post RPM and WHP numbers that you should expect right now from this Reflash with intake and header?? All these numbers can be confusing!!
1) You will need a new reflash with a turbo or supercharger
2) You can use the ECU that came with your car
3) Hondata doesn't make cams but they're saying that intake cams could be a big improvement. It sounds like Skunk is working on some new cams.
4) Cams don't change how fast you can rev your engine. They just change the timing and duration of the valves opening.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Some dealers can actually do the reflash on-site if I'm not mistaken

I just hope the dealer thats in Hawaii does the reflash on-site.

I hate to be without a car for a week. but boy will it be worth it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

bah theres only TWO dealers in my state and theyre far far away
Old 03-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I wanna know if im buying a chip, or buying the company Hondata to tune my car. i mean this in the fashion that they have created a generic style chip, where it is one setting, so it may not help as well as we like, and if we make changes, the ecu will not change with our car. how are you guys about retuning the chips for the people that want to do forced induction?
being a company that will sell you their product and count the money while you walk away is a common theme in businesses now. im wondering if you will help the people taht will be modding their cars further, and since you are the only company making the reflash, it is a disappointment to not see it in K-pro, since that would allow people to tune the chip to their car specifically.
Im asking what the future plan is for hondata and TSXs, are you guys going to be satisfied and done after you relase both AT/MT compatible chips, or will you work to make a couple extra options for the people that have been waiting on them?
no attack, just a serious issue to bring up
TSX cman
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tekn0mage
Some dealers can actually do the reflash on-site if I'm not mistaken

I just hope the dealer thats in Hawaii does the reflash on-site.

I hate to be without a car for a week. but boy will it be worth it.
Read post #27. The Hondata dealers only handle the transaction. They will need to send in the ECU for the reflash.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Read post #95... apparently some places do the flashes. Also,

From their website:

Dealers - Installing Hondata systems

You will need either:

* To send the ECU to Hondata for modification ($50 plus shipping)
* To use a local qualified electronics technician
* To socket the ECU yourself

If you wish to install systems yourself you will need about $450 for the following:

* Soldering iron (we recommend the Hakko 936 temperature controlled static safe soldering iron).
* De-soldering station (we recommend the Hakko 808 de-soldering station).
Old 03-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Read post #95... apparently some places do the flashes. Also,

From their website:

Dealers - Installing Hondata systems

You will need either:

* To send the ECU to Hondata for modification ($50 plus shipping)
* To use a local qualified electronics technician
* To socket the ECU yourself

If you wish to install systems yourself you will need about $450 for the following:

* Soldering iron (we recommend the Hakko 936 temperature controlled static safe soldering iron).
* De-soldering station (we recommend the Hakko 808 de-soldering station).
All dealers will "process" your order for the K-series reflash. The other stuffs regarding socketing the ECU are for the Stage systems or S200 systems. It sockets the factory "OBD1" ECU, not the K-series. They are totally different things. The information is stated here very clearly. http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html
Old 03-19-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
All TSX reflashes are done at Hondata HQ. No dealers have the equipment or programs to reflash the TSX ECU. End of story.

The Website references are to the K100 for the RSX ECU, which is a completely different internal architecture.

TSX Cman

Please note that there was 18 months between the first RSX reflash and a user programamble solution. The TSX ECU is completely different from the RSX.

We have invested a considerable amount of time, effort and money (Over 6 figures) into creating this product for the TSX.

Our committment is 100% to the TSX market. We are working with other performance companies to help bring quality performance products to the TSX.

Your concerns are unfounded.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hondata, while you're here, can you answer this, please.

-Will the re-flash still allow me to obtain CELs for problems like O2 sensors and etc? Will it be still diagnosable for Acura dealers?

-About the increased cutoff, why is it possible, and not already done by Honda? Are there potential issues of riding the engine to 7600 regularly, and into the redline zone for prolonged times like in 4th and 5th gear? Or should we just use the extra few revs in case of it really being needed only, like on the occasionnal drag race, but not more?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by TSX Cman
I wanna know if im buying a chip, or buying the company Hondata to tune my car. i mean this in the fashion that they have created a generic style chip, where it is one setting, so it may not help as well as we like, and if we make changes, the ecu will not change with our car. how are you guys about retuning the chips for the people that want to do forced induction?
being a company that will sell you their product and count the money while you walk away is a common theme in businesses now. im wondering if you will help the people taht will be modding their cars further, and since you are the only company making the reflash, it is a disappointment to not see it in K-pro, since that would allow people to tune the chip to their car specifically.
Im asking what the future plan is for hondata and TSXs, are you guys going to be satisfied and done after you relase both AT/MT compatible chips, or will you work to make a couple extra options for the people that have been waiting on them?
no attack, just a serious issue to bring up
TSX cman
In addition to what hondata posted, this is a reflash. That means the existing ECU has its firmware altered (overwritten) with new instructions. This is not a physical chip swap that can be unplugged/plugged in at a whim. Think of the ECU as a hard drive. You send it to Hondata, they reformat it, and when you pop it back in your PC your computer runs faster.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
Hondata, while you're here, can you answer this, please.

-Will the re-flash still allow me to obtain CELs for problems like O2 sensors and etc? Will it be still diagnosable for Acura dealers?

-About the increased cutoff, why is it possible, and not already done by Honda? Are there potential issues of riding the engine to 7600 regularly, and into the redline zone for prolonged times like in 4th and 5th gear? Or should we just use the extra few revs in case of it really being needed only, like on the occasionnal drag race, but not more?
The ECU functions normally as far as CEls and dealer servicing. No changes were made here.

Why did Honda not lower the VTEC point and do the tuning we did? To get the exact answer you will need to ask them.

In general, the ECU is tuned for worst case scenario - poor fuel and poor maintenance. Users of the reflash are expected to use high octane and look after their cars.

Honda may have limited the performance in this model to enable a bigger HP upgrade in a future model.

The increase in rev limit is only small - 300 rpm. We do not believe it will have any adverse effect on the engine's life. Do not bounce your car off the rev limiter. That is much harder on the engine, even with a 7300 rpm limit.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Just curious, can the re-flash be "locked" by Hondata, so it can't be overwritten by the dealer?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Hondata: Although I dont speak for all, I do believe I speak for some...

I thank you for your labour of love. I realize that research and development brings no profit immediately, but your commitment to the Honda community is unparalleled, and I/we thank you for it.

Please try to overlook the naysayers and those who are new to Hondata's offerings. They obviously have no idea how much effort goes into developing a new product. Not to mention reverse engineering a complicated piece of equipment. They know nothing.

Much mahalos (thanks) from a Hondatafied RSX driver, and now, thanks to your hard work... a soon to be Hondatafied TSX driver.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro

I'm interested to hear about the driving impressions for TSX users once they get the reflash. Just wondering how much of a difference it would make in terms of acceleration.

I have a 5AT tsx and I am definitely interested in the reflash.. but the only mod I would probably get, if any, is the icebox intake. I would love to see how the reflash performs on a stock 5AT... to see if it is worth it.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hondata
The ECU functions normally as far as CEls and dealer servicing. No changes were made here.

Why did Honda not lower the VTEC point and do the tuning we did? To get the exact answer you will need to ask them.

In general, the ECU is tuned for worst case scenario - poor fuel and poor maintenance. Users of the reflash are expected to use high octane and look after their cars.

Honda may have limited the performance in this model to enable a bigger HP upgrade in a future model.

The increase in rev limit is only small - 300 rpm. We do not believe it will have any adverse effect on the engine's life. Do not bounce your car off the rev limiter. That is much harder on the engine, even with a 7300 rpm limit.
Thanks for the answers. One more last question I forgot to ask:

You said the ECU had a good data acquiring capacity, and was not refractive to adding a few dgrees of advance given better fuel.

Does that mean that the ECU would then explore and give a little more advance then spec if we use 93-94 octane fuel? If so, does it mean that after a few power runs the ECU, having detected no knock with normal settings could explore and gradually advance either cams or fire until knock occured, and then re-adjust from there?

Meaning, with good fuel, could the stock ECU actually allow the engine to produce more than the rated 200 crank hp? If not, does the reflash have provisions for this?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Originally Posted by hondata
The CARB approved Comptech header I tested with does not eliminate the cat and adds absolutely no extra noise. It is a far superior design to the stock header. Bottom line - get a header and a reflash as a minimum.

The Comptech Icebox is very similar in design to the Honda intake and is much quieter than a short ram.

As for the low end, Honda have optimised this area well with long intake runners, cam timing and ignition timing. The reflash alone will make very little difference as all I could do was add a little ignition timing, but a combination of intake, headers and reflash will help the low end perhaps 5-7 ft pounds.

For low end you want a supercharger... That will give you 20-40 ft/lb more torque between 2000 and 3000 rpm
hondata,

Since gains on the low end power is minimal with the TSX reflash, if you were to speculate, would this make any retuning the accord/CRV/element K24s a waste of time?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:26 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's on www.vtec.net! we're famous!

Old 03-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Can we drive the car while the ECU is removed from the car (during the reflashing at Hondata)? Or is the car out of comission?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Advanced

Unfortunately, the car is out of commission. You not only send in the ECU, but also the Immobilizer and key. All three of these are required to start your car.

I did the Hondata program for my RSX. It was offline for 4 days. Fortunately I had a business trip scheduled, so it was no problem at all. This time however, I will have to grin and bear it for a few days with no car.

Honestly though, it's so worth it... I wouldn't even hesitate. Not for a second.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Unfortunately, the car is out of commission. You not only send in the ECU, but also the Immobilizer and key. All three of these are required to start your car.

I did the Hondata program for my RSX. It was offline for 4 days. Fortunately I had a business trip scheduled, so it was no problem at all. This time however, I will have to grin and bear it for a few days with no car.

Honestly though, it's so worth it... I wouldn't even hesitate. Not for a second.
Thanks. I guess I could get a rental for the time.

Quick Reply: Hondata ECU Reflash is out ** '05 MT & '06 AT/MT now available! p.37**