Header Heatshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header Heatshield Question

Just had my DC Header installed. Please see pics below..Just wanna ask you guys about the importance of the stock heatshield. Is there an aftermarket shield for headers? Thanks!!

[img=http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7091/dcheaderinstalled003sb3.th.jpg]
[img=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8664/dcheaderinstalled005kn6.th.jpg]

[img=http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3979/dcheaderinstalled001yk6.th.jpg]
Old 08-31-2006, 01:49 AM
New to Modding Cars

what kind of wheels are those? they look really nice and clean.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Racer

They are RH V5 EVO...19's
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With how high that TSX is off the ground, you have no need for the heatshield.... plenty of air getting under there.

Just joking man. In all seriousness, no need for the heatshield.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it just me or does the offset on that wheel look totally off?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Racer

there are no heat shields for aftermarket headers. you buy Header wrap and wrap it before you put the header on the car.

this will keep all of the heat in the header and help with performance. it will also keep alot of heat out of the engine bay.

for about 50 bucks extra, header wrap is more than worth the price.

now there have been reports of headers cracking from the extra heat that the wrap keeps in the header.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by gftgrill
there are no heat shields for aftermarket headers. you buy Header wrap and wrap it before you put the header on the car.

this will keep all of the heat in the header and help with performance. it will also keep alot of heat out of the engine bay.

for about 50 bucks extra, header wrap is more than worth the price.

now there have been reports of headers cracking from the extra heat that the wrap keeps in the header.
I would watch out with that header wrap. I read nothing but bad especially about them getting soaked wth water and rusting out the header over time. I wouldn't go that route, personally.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
What is the overall feeling on header wraps for aftermarket headers? Thumbs up, down or it really doesn't matter.

Future aftermarket header owner.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
What is the overall feeling on header wraps for aftermarket headers? Thumbs up, down or it really doesn't matter.

Future aftermarket header owner.
Good question. Why don't you start a seperate thread so we can keep discussion here to heathshields.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also be like JTso and make your own custom heatshield.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by jlukja
Good question. Why don't you start a seperate thread so we can keep discussion here to heathshields.
Isn't that the real question? There are no aftermarket heat shields available and the only choice you have is to make one yourself or wrap it up if you want/need one.

Unless Cuteguy1414 is planning on making a heat shield, his only choice is to wrap (which is technically another version of a heat shield) or not to wrap.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Isn't that the real question? There are no aftermarket heat shields available and the only choice you have is to make one yourself or wrap it up if you want/need one.

Unless Cuteguy1414 is planning on making a heat shield, his only choice is to wrap (which is technically another version of a heat shield) or not to wrap.

I'm just not sure what the concern is here. I mean underhood heat isn't an issue for normal or even spirited driving.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by moda_way
I'm just not sure what the concern is here. I mean underhood heat isn't an issue for normal or even spirited driving.
how bad is it for you guys with headers? Never had a problem with heat in my integra, but since teh header faces the passenger compartment now, is it something you might feel through the firewall?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I would watch out with that header wrap. I read nothing but bad especially about them getting soaked wth water and rusting out the header over time. I wouldn't go that route, personally.
that is true if you have a regular metal header. but on my civic I had a ceramic coated header and I wrapped it. no issues with rusting had it for 2 years before selling the car.

it kept heat in so well, that after an hour of spirited driving I got out and put my hand directly on the header (wrap) next to the engine head and it was a tollerible heat.

if you're worried about the wrap absorbing water and causing the header to wrap, then just get the special sealant for the wrap that prevents it from absorbing water.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gftgrill
that is true if you have a regular metal header. but on my civic I had a ceramic coated header and I wrapped it. no issues with rusting had it for 2 years before selling the car.

it kept heat in so well, that after an hour of spirited driving I got out and put my hand directly on the header (wrap) next to the engine head and it was a tollerible heat.

if you're worried about the wrap absorbing water and causing the header to wrap, then just get the special sealant for the wrap that prevents it from absorbing water.
Cool man- I think people should know this before doing it. I had an integra with a Comptech SS header and considered wraping it, but saw that water soak can problem, so I didn't.

Can you tell us what the special sealant is and where you can get it?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

how bad is it for you guys with headers? Never had a problem with heat in my integra, but since teh header faces the passenger compartment now, is it something you might feel through the firewall?

I guess that is sorta my point. I've had zero issues with heat. I see the purpose of wrapping, but there just isn't a heat shield need for those of us who aren't racing.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
mrgold35

I found a company on the web that provides a custom coating for headers. You have to ship the part in and it cost about $135-$155+shipping to do the work. The coating lowers the radiant heat around 110-120 degrees from the headers (cooler engine bay, improved engine power/efficiency).

http://www.performancecoatings.com/benefitdata.htm

I haven’t seen a lot of aftermarket headers and what is the clearance from the fire wall compared to stock. I’ve notice wires and hoses close to the firewall and there might be a potential problem with long term exposure to aftermarket headers that are too close.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
modaway did you remove your heatshield?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback guys..I am not into racing or autoxing. I reckon I don't need the heatshield but I am interested in mrgold35's header coating to protect the hoses and wires by the firewall. JTso's heatshield is very clever using the stock pipes as base on his design. But I am not the DIY guy Jtso is. Again, thanks for all the insights..By the way, H1coupe, the offset of my wheels is 45..
Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Racer

Cool man- I think people should know this before doing it. I had an integra with a Comptech SS header and considered wraping it, but saw that water soak can problem, so I didn't.

Can you tell us what the special sealant is and where you can get it?
this is the stuff I was thinking of. it was made by the same company that made the header wrap that I bought.

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=13

Originally Posted by cuteguy1414
Thanks for all the feedback guys..I am not into racing or autoxing. I reckon I don't need the heatshield but I am interested in mrgold35's header coating to protect the hoses and wires by the firewall. JTso's heatshield is very clever using the stock pipes as base on his design. But I am not the DIY guy Jtso is. Again, thanks for all the insights..By the way, H1coupe, the offset of my wheels is 45..
trust me you will want to heat protect everything for everyday driving. when your engine runs cooler, then you get more power out of it. this will also help the longevity of your engine by helping everything operate at a lower temp.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Racer

then it´s just me

don´t take me wrong I like the wheels, just looked that way to me?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Racer

Hey gftgrill, the header wrap with the sealant is a great idea!! I most definitely agree with you regarding the protection that the wires and hoses need. Also, engine operation under cooler temp will surely boost performance. I will look into these this labor day weekend and will post my undertakings per your suggestions. I really appreciate it gftgrill.
Also, H1coupe, no problem. Photos do not always show the real deal..Thanks for liking my wheels..and I know I need a drop!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jiggaman
modaway did you remove your heatshield?
You have to when you do the headers. If you mean, have I kept mine off, yes. If you mean the heat shields from the cat back (ie for the rattle), nope. All mine are stock.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Racer

Hey gftgrill, the header wrap with the sealant is a great idea!! I most definitely agree with you regarding the protection that the wires and hoses need. Also, engine operation under cooler temp will surely boost performance. I will look into these this labor day weekend and will post my undertakings per your suggestions. I really appreciate it gftgrill.
Also, H1coupe, no problem. Photos do not always show the real deal..Thanks for liking my wheels..and I know I need a drop!!
cool have fun. one helpful tip before you do this ( I learned the hard way). wear pants, a long sleeve shirt, and gloves. the header wrap is made of fiberglass. If you've never had a fiberglass cut, consider yourself lucky. fiberglass cuts are exteremly small cuts ( you can't really see them) and they itch like crazy. so whenever you scratch them, they hurt really bad.

if you happen to rub some of the wrap on your body, don't touch the area. go to the sink/shower and run water of the area to remove the fiberglass from your skin. that's the other great thing about it, that if it gets on you and scratch it and you haven't washed it off yet, it will cut you more.

but don't worry the cuts are not deep enough to make you bleed. you'll just be really uncomfortable for a couple of days while it heals.