Foglight Rewire

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matvey
I have just taken the pictures, but don't know how to place them on this post. Maybe I could email them to one of you and have you post it?

The wires go through the firewall along with the huge factory batch.

I bought the set on eBay for $55 shipped. My actual set is eBay item 190009321442 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190009321442 ).

The funny thing is that the set that I got is NOT the one that's shown in the item description!! The wiring is different. It is like the set that Peregrine's instructures describe ( http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/JDM_FogLights.pdf ).

you can go to imageshack.us and upload the pic and paste the link here, or if you prefer, you can send the pics to supraken@hotmail.com and then I'll upload them... Thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm posting these pics for matvey:

"The first pic is of the plug under the dash, but the wiring is off the car in this case.

The second two pics are of the plug under the hood. One off of my car, the other is from
an extra wiring that I had."

Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about illumination of the switch, as the sunroof and VSA switches are NOT illuminated themselves.
That's funny, mine are. Is yours a US-spec TSX? Mine's a US '05.

Also, I don't know if there's a separate LED on the switch, but it would be cool to have an indicator that the lights are on. I'll look into that too....

But I think the red wire is supposed to connect to "dash light brightness controller", which I think is ground with some resistance, and resistance changes depending on how you set your brightness.
Yeah, that sounds about right!

But then again, I wouldn't worry about it.

MBA
Yeah, maybe I'm a bit too anal about it.... But I can't help but aim for perfection!

Well, let me attempt that first, before I break out the duct tape...
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Mine is a US '04 TSX.

There IS an LED light on my switch, and the switch looks pretty good.
I can also turn the fog lights with high beam of with no headlights at all (only parking lights). And the switch "remembers" its position (it clicks in when you turn fog lights on).

Good luck!

MBA
Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 04 vsa and roof switches are both illuminated factory
Old 09-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
For those with factory fog lights, that want to have the fogs on independent of the headlights, I have come of with this. We now know that the blue and black striped wire under the factory fog light rely will turn on the fog lights if grounded. It other words, if we attach a wire from the body of the car and connect it to this rely wire, the fogs will come on. Problem is, we need a way tof control when the fogs come on, otherwise they will just come on everytime we start the car. Of course we need a switch of some type to turn this ground on and off.

Solution: I purchased a switch for a 2004 Honda Accord, along with the wire harness.( I want this to look factory). The switch will fit right in the blank plate where the sunroof switch is. Next I bought a second relay. This relay will be controlled by the new honda foglight switch to turn the fogs on and off. What I am going to do, is use the parking light hot wire, to power the second relay,so that when I turn the parking lights off, the fogs will go off too. If you want the fogs to be available"on " at anytime, just use any "hot wire that is hot" when the car is turned on.

So now, when I turn on my parking lights, this will power my new switch, which will then, turn on the second relay(when I depress it), that will connect the blue and black striped wire to ground.

If you still want to use the regular fog light stalk, it will work the same when you turn off your new switch. If you turn both on at the same time, nothing happens other then the new switch will always bypass the factory one. I hope this is clear, and I plan to get started on this, this weekend. Hopfully I will have some pictures.

This same thing could be accomplished with just the factory switch if someone could identfy the wires coming from our that switch. You would still need that second relay. I hope this is clear.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Matvey: Thanks again for the great find. My foglights arrived today. Turns out, the instructions (labled "Honda Accord 2003") specifically mention the connector under the fusebox being held on by blue tape. Sure enough, I can look under there and there it is! Wow. I guess it's not used for the USDM fogs, but for some reason it's still in the wiring. Go figure.

Looks good, now I just need time to do the install. I figure it'll take a few hours.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Instructor

No problem. Let me know how everything works for you when you are done. Some better pics for everyone wouldn't hurt either!

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
While you guys are messing around with all those wires... could you check some voltages on some of them while you're in there? I'm having a hard time getting my factory fogs to work. My post is here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33675.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Finally got my 06 tsx fogs to work independently of the headlights switch. Not hard to do, but not a job for the novice. You will have to get a seperate rely and another switch. It is the Only way to do it right. The way I rewired it, the fogs will come on with the parking lights, since I used the hot from it to power the second relay. This also means if I leave the fogs on, they will cut off automatcally, when the parking light do.
I have the fog light switch from the 94 honda Accord which fits the tsx dash. I also bought the wire harness as well to make for a neat installation. Hardest part was getting to the parking light hot wire, and that was not bad at all. I will post pictures once I finish up everything. This mod does not affect the factory stalk switch. The dash button will overide the stalk, but if you leave the dash switch off, the stalk works as normal. There is not problem if both are on at the same time, as both switches do nothing more, than connect ground.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

If you have problems, make sure that you've got a GOOD ground. (On my previous car, I think I had to find a different connection; the easiest/closes bolt didn't work. I found a more inconvenient bolt, and it worked great.) If the ground doesn't work, the bulbs won't light....
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

It can be done

Finished up the fog light mod for 06 tsx. Picture is fog lights on with parking lights and Honda fog switch. The original swich on the stalk still works the same. There is no problem using both. The dash switch will override the factory switch when the parking lights are on. If the headlights are on, both swiches will work.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Ok wow, where did u get that fog light button and how much did it cost? Did you need any extra wiring or new wire harness? i think i also need to buy a new wire harness for mine cuz it sucks
Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by acuratsx007
Ok wow, where did u get that fog light button and how much did it cost? Did you need any extra wiring or new wire harness? i think i also need to buy a new wire harness for mine cuz it sucks

I did buy the switch harness. It makes the job easier. You will also have to buy a seperate rely. It is not plug and play. Not very hard to do, and you do not need the honda switch. You can use any switch you want. You can even wire it with no switch and have the fogs come on once you turn the parking light on, but they would always be on until you cut the car off or the parking lights go off. I think total I paid $75 for everthing. The switch is from a 94 honda Accord
Old 10-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Cruisin'

Hey Supraken,thanks for those pics.I already have my fogs worked out thanks to Peregrine,but i would really like to get the switch illumination set up.I cant seem to find that female grey connector you posted up in the first pic.Can you be more specific about where to find it under the dash.Is it above or below the fuse box,is it on a loom somewhere deeper under the dash above the pedals,is it part of a block of connectors???Its so frustrating not being able to find it.Any help appreciated.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Cruisin'

Ok,so I got impatient and went looking again for that connector.If its in my car i cant find it.My guess is our Aus cars are different to yours in that area.Anyway i wanted to hook up my switch so that the light icon illuminates when the dash lights are on.
The little green indicator light above the light icon already works when the fogs are turned on but I couldnt find a wire on the back of the fog switch that when connected to a live feed would light up the icon on the front of the switch.Then i remembered reading on here somewhere that the original equipment Honda fogs switch on by grounding the earth.So i figure thats possibly how the switch illuminates as well...sure enough,when i connect that red wire that everyone says is not used for anything, up to an earth..hey presto the switch light icon lights up when i turn on the parking or headlights.
Still not there yet,because while it lights up, it wont dim with the rest of the dash lights.Got to find some connection somewhere that operates this circuit.
Now if i could only find that damm grey connector socket!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eurostat
Ok,so I got impatient and went looking again for that connector.If its in my car i cant find it.My guess is our Aus cars are different to yours in that area.Anyway i wanted to hook up my switch so that the light icon illuminates when the dash lights are on.
The little green indicator light above the light icon already works when the fogs are turned on but I couldnt find a wire on the back of the fog switch that when connected to a live feed would light up the icon on the front of the switch.Then i remembered reading on here somewhere that the original equipment Honda fogs switch on by grounding the earth.So i figure thats possibly how the switch illuminates as well...sure enough,when i connect that red wire that everyone says is not used for anything, up to an earth..hey presto the switch light icon lights up when i turn on the parking or headlights.
Still not there yet,because while it lights up, it wont dim with the rest of the dash lights.Got to find some connection somewhere that operates this circuit.
Now if i could only find that damm grey connector socket!!

Simple. There should be a red white wire coming from your other switche(VSA is one) Tap your red white from your foglight switch to it. That is the wire that controls the brightness.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Cruisin'

Aw doh !! why didnt i think of that.Of course youre right 'dwest1023'.
I was so pissed off at not finding that grey connector i overlooked the obvious and easiest connection point for a wire linked to the dimmer circuit,Thanks for that.I might tackle that little job next weekend.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fog light mod update

I have just recieved my tsx service manual. I have found a way to have the fog lights on anytime you want, with the original fog light switch. There is a white wire, that come sfrom the fog light switch connector, which then runs to the engine compartment to the relay control module. This module is located in the fuse relay box under the hood. All you need to do, is connect a wire to this white and then over to the blue/Back in the wire harness under the fog relay. I like my method better with the seperate switchand relay, cuz the fogs will cut off when I turn the ignition off. The method I describe above, will allow the lights on with engine off or running. . If anyone would like to see the wiring diagram I can post it.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I have just recieved my tsx service manual. I have found a way to have the fog lights on anytime you want, with the original fog light switch. There is a white wire, that come sfrom the fog light switch connector, which then runs to the engine compartment to the relay control module. This module is located in the fuse relay box under the hood. All you need to do, is connect a wire to this white and then over to the blue/Back in the wire harness under the fog relay. I like my method better with the seperate switchand relay, cuz the fogs will cut off when I turn the ignition off. The method I describe above, will allow the lights on with engine off or running. . If anyone would like to see the wiring diagram I can post it.
Would that be for 04/05 or also for 06? If it's for 06 as well, I'll be down for it
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Mugen CL9

Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
Would that be for 04/05 or also for 06? If it's for 06 as well, I'll be down for it
I'd like to see a diagram too.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
My shop manual is for the 06 tsx. Possible it works for other years, but I am not sure.
I will post the electrical diagram when I get home. This is an easy mod.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

As you can see, in the 06 tsx the ground connection that turns our fogs on is controlled by the relay control module. located under the hood. If you attach a wire to the white wire, coming from our stalk switch, to the blue black, under the fog light relay, you effectively bypass the module. Thus you can now turn on the fogs when ever you want. Hope this is clear.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the diagram, I'll look into this on the weekends.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
9th Gear

In my experiences with VW's, folks used to just replaced the relays with little metal clips (in the same configuration as the relay) to allow for fog use with parking lights and/or high beams. Several vendors sold the clips which were a couple $'s at most.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Cruisin'

Hey dwest1023,just as a matter of comparison,could you tell me how much in your dollars did your manual cost you.Honda dealers over here want $800, which is about $600US.Its a bloody rip-off of course,but i guess it stops the peasants getting too knowledgeable.The last Honda manual i bought 5 or 6 years ago cost me 70bucks.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey dwest1023,just as a matter of comparison,could you tell me how much in your dollars did your manual cost you.Honda dealers over here want $800, which is about $600US.Its a bloody rip-off of course,but i guess it stops the peasants getting too knowledgeable.The last Honda manual i bought 5 or 6 years ago cost me 70bucks.
I paid $75 US dollars.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Cruisin'

And that's a genuine manual?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
9th Gear

From Helm's they're $69 + shipping.

Helm's Services Manuals for TSX

Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by typer_801
From Helm's they're $69 + shipping.

Helm's Services Manuals for TSX

The 2006 is more
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, It is the real thing. I only buy factory.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Man,you guys in the States are so lucky.Everything is so cheap over there.We pay through the nose here.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Noob

Hm... been looking arond quite a bit but cant seem to find any detailed directios on how to remove that cover under the dash to get to the firewall and wires underneath the steeringwheel. Can someone tell me where the screws are that I need to take out or post up pix or a diagram? Thanx
Old 10-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Super Noob

Nevermind... got the damn thing off... but I'm stuck at a different place now.... For the 20 pin connector in the engine bay fuse box.... how do I unlock it to connect the harness wire? I was looking at it for a good 30 min... cant figure it. Any help?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Super Noob

Hm... ok... expected to see at least one response. Oh well... Anyhow, I figured it all out after about 3 hours of fiddling. One last question for you guys out there.... (hope this one gets answered...) Apprantly my ebay fogs didnt come with the screws that go into the adjusting mechanism. So I cant adjust the aim of my fogs. Anyone know where I can get those screws? I dont know if the guy I got these fogs from will send me any.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

I just worked on the fogs yesterday, so I've got it 1/2 done.

To unlock the 20-pin connector, you need a really small screwdriver, but sounds like you finally got it. I fiddled with this for at least 20 minutes.

Weird, my fogs came preinstalled with the adjusting screws. However, I seem to be missing the screw that goes underneath to secure it (right next to the adjusting screw). Either that, or I used the screws that were supposed to go there on something else.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm revisiting this older message, as I have some additional comments (having done the engine wiring).

I have just installed the JDM fog lights on my 04 TSX without rewiring anything! Without cutting or extending wires, and without any extra plugs or extensions.

I mostly followed Peregrine's instructures ( http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/JDM_FogLights.pdf )
I did too, although, there were instructions that came with the fogs (for a "2003 Accord"!) that mentioned grounding to the hood hitch. Those bolts were in tight, so I'm going to try using the hitch-cover, with a bolt from the kit.

Except the following:

1. I did not extend the ground wire that is between the left and the right fog light. I have attached it to the hood hitch/lock.

2. I did not cut off the 2-pin connector (green and red wires), instead I have plugged it into a grey 2-pin plug under the dash. They were made for each other! perfect fit.
I have not gotten to the under-dash part yet...

3. I plugged in the green wire from the under-the-hood harness (coming from the relay) into the green-wire-side of a grey 2-pin connector, located pretty low between the fuse box and the engine.

Since I had an extra wiring for the TSX, I figured out that the under-the-hood grey plug leads directly to the under-the-dash grey plug, the one that gets connected to the fog light switch.
In addition to the location, it looks like they have put blue tape at this location as well, so it's pretty easy to find. However, the harness connector does not match this connector! Even though they are a similar shape and color, they don't fit.

So, I disassembled the harness connector and plugged just the green wire into the car's plug, on the side with the green wire. It still has the flat edge connector on the end, so I didn't have to redo anything, just pull it from the connector (using a small screwdriver to help). I have not tested whether or not this will work, as I haven't gotten under the dash or done the interior harness yet.

Is this what you did, Matvey, removed the green wire from the plug in order to fit?

Hope this helps everyone a lot!
So the JDK fog lights fit TSX perfectly after all!
Yeah, the harness just BARELY fits in the front too, but no rewiring needed! Some assembly require, tho.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Super Noob

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I just worked on the fogs yesterday, so I've got it 1/2 done.

To unlock the 20-pin connector, you need a really small screwdriver, but sounds like you finally got it. I fiddled with this for at least 20 minutes.

Weird, my fogs came preinstalled with the adjusting screws. However, I seem to be missing the screw that goes underneath to secure it (right next to the adjusting screw). Either that, or I used the screws that were supposed to go there on something else.
That's funny... I got the screws to secure it but not the screws to adjust... Does anyone happen to have pix of the screw needed to adjust the aim? If the guy I got the fogs from isnt going to send me any screws then I might as well buy them... prob only gonna cost me a few bux.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, the fogs are mostly done. I have run into a couple of snags.

First, I will say that the plug in the engine does seem to lead to the plug under the dash. However, the harness plugs did not sync up! The under-hood harness was the wrong size; I had to disassemble it and plug the green wire in separately. Under the dash, the plug that was the correct size had the wrong wire (red). I disassembled both plugs and put the green wire into the plug that fits. Yikes!

After that fiasco, the fog lights do turn on! And since I didn't use the red wire, the illumination does not dim, but the illumination does work. The fogs turn on if the parking lights (or main lights) are on.

The worst problem is that the switch illuminates in amber color. Everything else on my dash is green. Gaaaah......

So, right now, my main goal is finding an appropriate dimmer wire to splice into.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, my harness(es) are different than what Dwest described. I don't have any red/white wires in my foglight harness, but I do have two red/black ones. I disconnected those, one at a time, to see if they affected the illumination, but it seems like cutting either of them kills the entire switch. And the red wire doesn't do anything. It's late, so I give up! I guess the illumination isn't that important; maybe I should look into getting a US switch.

Also, in case anyone was confused by my previous message, my harness seems to be different than some others in that on the under-dash harness, the green wire was in a 3 pin plug that didn't fit anything, and the red wire was in the 2-pin plug that I reused.

Quick Reply: Foglight Rewire