Foglight Rewire

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goddsmack
How about the accord fog light switch and somehow routing it with that? It's just a suggestion and I'm not going to tackle it myself, especially since I suck at electrics.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/acco...drfoglight.pdf
Can't' we just use the Honda switch that goes into an empty switch slot and then all we have to do is tap into a wire that will come on when the key is turned to "acc" or "on" and then ground the other end and we're done???
Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It can be done!!
I've done it!!

Old 07-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I am Ahab!

so how about some info instead of just a teaser.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:45 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ yea that
Old 07-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Sorry for the late response, had a crazy 4th of july weekend, but about the fogs...

Well the funy thing is that I purchased the JDM fog light kit off ebay from a guy in japan. I posted up pics in the photos section. Then was actually told by other members on the forum that the switch really isnt JDM. But the kit I got was brand new and all sealed and came in a Honda Box and everything even with inst. for 2003 Accord (TSX Diagrams)....

But neways, so the instructions stated the same wire install as the tsx, inserting wires into the fuse box, etc. *Note: All these wires had plastic connectors, and the such. So I cut them off and soldered the custom connections I made. Also, before anything was soldered or installed/removed, I tested everything by electrical taping all the connections together and holding the power and ground wires to the battery, clicked the switch and it was a go. Also, upon testing, I noticed, the only way the switch powered to the fogs was if the switch was illuminated.

Well, I dunno if this will help but, on the fog light wire harness there are the two bulb sockets, the ground wire, a power wire (red/blue), then the connector that goes to the relay, and one green wire coming out the relay connector.

Then on the switch harness, Illumination wire (red/black), an unknown red wire that made no differnce powered up or not, wire to relay (green), and a ground wire (black).

Then Completely ignoring the instructions, since they were small and in Japanese,
I zip tied the fog light harness to the front and bolted the ground. Routed the wires up under the driver headlight, with the relay. Then I took the (red/blue) wire, cut off the connector, soldered a 20amp fuse holder to it then crimped a hoop connector on the end and bolted it to the existing positive cable bolt under the fuse box to hide it.

Then after removing the switch panel, I unbolted the factory ground wire hiden deep in the dash and bolted the ground wire for the switch. Then I used the illumination wire from the sunroof connector (red/black) stripped some insulation back, soldered a jump wire from there and soldered it to the (red/black) for my fog light switch connector. Then I took the (green) relay wire, soldered an extension wire long enough to reach the engine bay, then soldered that to the (green) wire comiing from the relay connector.

Tunred on the parking lights, hit the switch and viola, independent circuit for the fogs. I guess it isn't as JDM as I hoped, but actually happy with the install, and the look, at least i know the fog lens holders and wire harness are JDM heh heh

Well I hope this is helpful for some, Ill be posting pics in a few.....all this typing made m hungry
Old 07-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Ok here are the pics....

Shot of the jump wire from the sunroof to the switch.

Shot of factory ground location. (cluster of brass connectors) Man that was fun to get to.

Shot of wire to fuse box positive.

Then with cover on.

Enjoy! Look at previous post for more desctiptions.
Here's where being an Auto Technician pays off......savings on labor haha......and for everyone else in my family...haha
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still out there I LoveMyHonda

I know this probably seems like ancient history to you now,but im wondering if you could just clear something up for me you said in your last post on this thread. .You said in that last post....
"Then I took the (green) relay wire, soldered an extension wire long enough to reach the engine bay, then soldered that to the (green) wire comiing from the relay connector."
Did you mean you took the green wire from the switch harness(which on mine is in a grey connector with a red wire beside it)soldered an extension wire long enough to reach the engine bay,then soldered that to the green wire that sits by itself on the harness near 'the four wire connector' that plugs into the relay????
Ive just bought a set of these fogs from PowerImports and the wiring harness appears to be the same as yours was/is. Any help much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Advanced

not sure if the US version TSX is the intergrated foglight/headlight switch like in canada. but i will be re-wiring my OEM kit this week and let everyone how it goes.

I have been doing some researching and the best way to go about it, is to take the power wire (foglight power) from the intergrated switch and run it to the fuse box. while i do this i will take pix
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
It can be done!!
I've done it!!

The piece with the 4 switches, where can i order for one? JDM Euro R only comes with 3 swicth panel. I need black colour but will settle for grey. Can someone help? Thanks.

I also noticed the TSX has a different stock headunit. JDM Uses the Accord CM5 headunit.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osubuckeye98
Does anyone here know how to rewire the factory foglights so they can be engaged with only the parking lights on? Right now they can only be turned on when the headlights are on, just like in my old 2000 Accord.

Thanks,
SB
It can be done but you will be drawing too much power from that circuit so I woulndnt try it. You might end up frying something expensive...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

I bought the JDM kit off of ebay, fogs are great but i the button/switch i recieved did not look like ILOVEMYHONDA'S that matches the rest and acutally fits! my wire harness is all jacked up and way too short also. Im curious where i can buy a fog light button like ILOVEMYHONDA got his. Does anyone know where i can get that same button from and also a wire harness from? If anyone has detailed pics on how to get the wire through my firewall and showing labled pics of what wires go where it would be very helpful as im going to try AGAIN this weekend with little or no electrician experience!

JDMCULTURE, the u.s. version TSX has the foglight switch integrated into the headlight stalk.
Dont know what is meant though by JDM using an Accord CM5 headunit as opposed to the TSX stock headunit?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Cruisin'

I got my set off PowerImports on Ebay. As expected, no fitting instructions came with the kit and no help from PowerImports. The switch fits perfectly, so mabye our Aus cars a little different in some of the interior fittings to your US cars,or mabye its just the luck of the draw with these kits from Ebay,anyway before i start cutting off plugs,and pulling the car apart , i'm going to see if anybody recoginzes them as plugs that might fit into the fuse box under the dash and the one in the engine bay.
Never know, someone,somewhere in the world has got to jag a kit that actually fits!!!I might be lucky.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
Just got in under the hood and into the fusebox and relay area with a multimeter, and things are not as good as I first thought.

The wiring to the foglights is always hot. That's not the problem.

It seems that the control of when the foglight can and can't come on is in the switch stalk itself, nowhere else. Simply put, it seems that the foglight switch is placed in serial with the regular headlight switch, and also linked to a high-beam related cutoff. Bottom line is that if you use the OEM switch, your foglights will NOT be able to come on except as allowed by the manufacturer. I am not about to try to disassemble the switch stalk to change this.

It seems that the only way around things would be to use an alternate switch. I may look into this as a possibility.
I have done much research on this subjest, but have not had time to try my theory. If you unplug the relay and take voltage mesurments, you will find 4 contacts. 2 of the contacts are always hot. That means, that one connecter goes directly to the fog light as the power wire. The other one, with no power on it, HAS to be ground. I believe if you ground this point, the lights with come on. You can then put a switch on the ground and cut the fogs on whenever you want or leave it in the off postiion and the lights will work as nornal. I believe this is the easy answer.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

That theory should be easy enough to prove if some kind soul out there would be good enough to post up a pic of the factory wiring diagram showing the connections between the stalk switch and both fuse boxes.That would help a lot of us with the Ebay version fogs. Anybody got a factory workshop manual ????
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

workshop manual

Must be someone out there richer than me who has invested in a workshop manual.How about it? Could someone post up or PM me an image of the lights wiring diagram between the dash and and the engine bay,please?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Question

Yeah i def agree with posting up some pics, or please include me in the PM also. I gotta see some visual images of where the fog light wire harness ties into the fuse boxes and switches and HOW THE HELL to get it through the fire wall. Would be awesome if someone could post some pics of their job! I know id appreciate it!

Just a thought here . . . but ILOVEMYHONDA said that his foglight kit was for a '03 accord, maybe i could get to a dealership and see about buying the fog light button from them and get a wire harness from them??
Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Advanced

OK... I install the OEM foglight today, but did not have enough to mess with the switch. Hopefully this weekend i'll have some more time with it... i'll keep you guys posted.

Side note: Installed the KnN CAI and I must say. V E L Y nice !!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by eurostat
That theory should be easy enough to prove if some kind soul out there would be good enough to post up a pic of the factory wiring diagram showing the connections between the stalk switch and both fuse boxes.That would help a lot of us with the Ebay version fogs. Anybody got a factory workshop manual ????
thank JTso for the scan of the US wiring diagrams:
http://www.tsobad.com/jtso/Images/He...agrams/USA.JPG
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
The Power of a Grill

looks to me like the fog wire runs straight from the stalk to fuse box under hood to the control box. of course, i dont really know what that means.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:39 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys for posting that diagram.Its helpful,but am i missing something, i cant see the fog lights represented on the diagram?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
The Power of a Grill

because they are not factory for the 04/05. however, you can see the fog stalk switch on the right side lower half.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Cruisin'

Ok,ive got a CD version manual with all the wiring diagrams etc,...just cant seem to save the images with any readable kind of resolution yet
Old 07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Pics yet?

Has anyone been able to take pics of where the wire harness runs through the fire wall into the car and maybe a pick or two of the all the wiring wired in under the hood in the fuse box and stuff. It'd be great cuz im more of a visual guy then a reader (besides the fact that mine didnt come with instructions!). Thanks in advance for anyone that's still posting on this topic!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay guys, I've just confirmed for our OEM installed fogs that we can have our fogs on regardless of headlights. (thank Kpierson from KPTechnologies for solving it).

If you locate the relay under the hood, it is attached on the driver side strut bar, hanging. Peel back the black tape and locate the blue and black striped wire. All you need to do is run that wire to a ground (solider in a new wire) and you're done. It is that freakin simple. I'm going to finish it up and take some photos.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good find!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by moda_way
Okay guys, I've just confirmed for our OEM installed fogs that we can have our fogs on regardless of headlights. (thank Kpierson from KPTechnologies for solving it).

If you locate the relay under the hood, it is attached on the driver side strut bar, hanging. Peel back the black tape and locate the blue and black striped wire. All you need to do is run that wire to a ground (solider in a new wire) and you're done. It is that freakin simple. I'm going to finish it up and take some photos.
Well, nm this one. It bypasses the stalk switch, so they're always on.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ That's cool that you found out which wire turns the fog lights on and off though. If you hook up your own switch to that wire, you should be able to control the foglights.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tsx536
^^ That's cool that you found out which wire turns the fog lights on and off though. If you hook up your own switch to that wire, you should be able to control the foglights.
Correct, so it may be of help to you JDM ebay kits.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 PM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by moda_way
Well, nm this one. It bypasses the stalk switch, so they're always on.
maybe at another point along the circuit?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I would think other than cutting the wire, just add a wire to the wire you are suppose to cut. Then run the wire to a switch. This way you can leave it off when you want it controlled through the stalk switch. that is my plan.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I would think other than cutting the wire, just add a wire to the wire you are suppose to cut. Then run the wire to a switch. This way you can leave it off when you want it controlled through the stalk switch. that is my plan.
Never cut (if you can avoid it), just strip the wire back and solider the ground to it. That way if there is a reason to go back to stock, all you have to do is unsolider the wire and wrap it.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up Installing JDM foglights without cutting wires

I have just installed the JDM fog lights on my 04 TSX without rewiring anything! Without cutting or extending wires, and without any extra plugs or extensions.

I mostly followed Peregrine's instructures ( http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/JDM_FogLights.pdf )

Except the following:

1. I did not extend the ground wire that is between the left and the right fog light. I have attached it to the hood hitch/lock.

2. I did not cut off the 2-pin connector (green and red wires), instead I have plugged it into a grey 2-pin plug under the dash. They were made for each other! perfect fit.

3. I plugged in the green wire from the under-the-hood harness (coming from the relay) into the green-wire-side of a grey 2-pin connector, located pretty low between the fuse box and the engine.

Since I had an extra wiring for the TSX, I figured out that the under-the-hood grey plug leads directly to the under-the-dash grey plug, the one that gets connected to the fog light switch.

Hope this helps everyone a lot!
So the JDK fog lights fit TSX perfectly after all!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

HEY! Great find there! Yeah, I always thought there should be connectors for the OEM fogs somewhere, so I assume that that is what you've found. (Well, on my previous car, a Prelude, it was like that. They went a step further and had colored tape to make it easier to find the correct plugs.)

Edit: this is significant enough of a find to deserve its own thread, IMO!

Question: how come only one wire is hooked up on the connector under the hood/fusebox?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by matvey
2. I did not cut off the 2-pin connector (green and red wires), instead I have plugged it into a grey 2-pin plug under the dash. They were made for each other! perfect fit.

3. I plugged in the green wire from the under-the-hood harness (coming from the relay) into the green-wire-side of a grey 2-pin connector, located pretty low between the fuse box and the engine.

Can you take some pictures of this, or explain a little bit more? I thought the green wire and the red wire that goes under the dash was in two separate connectors?

For the green wire from the under-the-hood harness, where exactly did you plug it into? It was a 3 pin, brown (pretty flat) connector, right?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Pictures!!

YEAH! Definetly post some pictures for us if you can. Id love to see some pictures of where you feed the wires through the firewall and where they came out under the dash, and also pictures of the fuse box would be sweet so we can see where you have the the wires plugged into the fuse box and all

Where did you get your light kit from b/c im trying to find a good wire harness as mine doesnt quite look like perregrines?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Instructor

JDK OEM TSX fog light installation instructions

I will try to take some pictures of the plug under the hood, but not the one under the dash, as I already assembled the interior.

The plug under the dash is very clear in sight and fits directly with the plug from the fog light switch, so you should have no problem locating that plug (it is also grey 2-pin plug).

The wires from this plug lead to a connector under the hood, next to the fuse box. I will try to take some pictures of it tomorrow.

> how come only one wire is hooked up on the connector under the hood/fusebox?

The red wire from that plug is basically left unconnected (it is for illumination of the switch and is not really necessary)

My kit is exactly the same one that is pictured in Peregrine's instructures ( http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/JDM_FogLights.pdf )
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

Awesome, thanks for trying to get some pics. IF you can get a picture or two of where the wires went through the firewall, man i would be so appreciative as that's my biggest barrier right now.
Who or where did you buy your foglight kit from and for how much?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Instructor

JDK fog light installtion PICTURES coming up...

I have just taken the pictures, but don't know how to place them on this post. Maybe I could email them to one of you and have you post it?

The wires go through the firewall along with the huge factory batch.

I bought the set on eBay for $55 shipped. My actual set is eBay item 190009321442 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190009321442 ).

The funny thing is that the set that I got is NOT the one that's shown in the item description!! The wiring is different. It is like the set that Peregrine's instructures describe ( http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/JDM_FogLights.pdf ).
Old 09-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

About that red wire.... What if I want the switch to be illuminated? Seriously, that's like the least of my concerns, but assuming everything else comes together first, I'll try to figure out how to get the illumination to come out the way I like it.

As for getting the correct harness, I feel like it's "foglight roulette" -- maybe you'll get the right one, maybe not. At least the price is cheap! Hard to beat $55.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I wouldn't worry about illumination of the switch, as the sunroof and VSA switches are NOT illuminated themselves.

But I think the red wire is supposed to connect to "dash light brightness controller", which I think is ground with some resistance, and resistance changes depending on how you set your brightness.

But then again, I wouldn't worry about it.

MBA

Quick Reply: Foglight Rewire