Finally, A Tsx Motor With Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, A Tsx Motor With Turbo

noob here to this forum but not a noob in essence. i have an rsx type s with a stage 2 cybernation turbo kit on it. i was running 20 psi of boost and my car was dynoeing in the 380 whp range. well i'm sad to say that i have recently blew the head to shreds when i mis-shifted. i found a good deal on a 2005 tsx motor and the cost to fix the head on my rsx was more expensive than the motor i purchased. i will be putting a tsx motor in my car and transferring the turbo kit as well. i will not be running 20psi of boost though, because i will be on stock internals. i will probably be running around 10psi for now. the reason i am on here is because i would like to learn a little more about the tsx motor and to see what kind of performance upgrades are out i.e. pistons, rods, valves, valve springs, etc. if anyone can provide some insight i would greatly appreciate it. i haven't seen much of anything though on the net, but maybe im just not looking hard enough. once i get this motor installed, i'll post the dyno results once its tuned with k-pro.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by precise rsx-s
noob here to this forum but not a noob in essence. i have an rsx type s with a stage 2 cybernation turbo kit on it. i was running 20 psi of boost and my car was dynoeing in the 380 whp range. well i'm sad to say that i have recently blew the head to shreds when i mis-shifted. i found a good deal on a 2005 tsx motor and the cost to fix the head on my rsx was more expensive than the motor i purchased. i will be putting a tsx motor in my car and transferring the turbo kit as well. i will not be running 20psi of boost though, because i will be on stock internals. i will probably be running around 10psi for now. the reason i am on here is because i would like to learn a little more about the tsx motor and to see what kind of performance upgrades are out i.e. pistons, rods, valves, valve springs, etc. if anyone can provide some insight i would greatly appreciate it. i haven't seen much of anything though on the net, but maybe im just not looking hard enough. once i get this motor installed, i'll post the dyno results once its tuned with k-pro.
Make me wish sooo bad there was a Kpro for the TSX....Lucky that you can use the RSX kpro with it. I would lose my AC and everything else if I did that =(
Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check clubrsx there is at least 1 guy running a tsx in an rsx and there could be more. sincce u have k-pro i think that you will be able to use the turbo, but i wouldn't think 10psi was safe, cause noone that i know of has run it, u may be fine, or you may blow up. think there are pistons out je comes to mind, but not sure if they have them or what company that was, as far as sleaves aem i believe has some. and check kingmoporsports..com on retainers and valve springs..... hope that helped
Old 04-14-2005, 10:56 PM
04 remembrance

380WHP? That's monster.

What was your torque?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

not a whole lot has been looked into for building up a k24 on here, b/c well, no one has done it. the head of the tsx and rsx-s motors are similar, if not the same, and you should be able to use parts... but I don't know all the internals of an engine.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by xizor
not a whole lot has been looked into for building up a k24 on here, b/c well, no one has done it. the head of the tsx and rsx-s motors are similar, if not the same, and you should be able to use parts... but I don't know all the internals of an engine.
Minor tangent, but why do you guys think this is? Because the K series is still relatively new? Or because the TSX is more of a luxury car and has less of a user base/market for such ventures? Only two reasons I can think of.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
If one managed to blow one engine due to abuse, can a second be far behind?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Stokeless

AEBS makes sleeves for the TSX...JE has pistons, I dont think anyone makes rods yet though.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by biker
If one managed to blow one engine due to abuse, can a second be far behind?
i was actually waiting for someone to say that. lol. i know i screwed up big time, but i just got a little careless. hopefully i will be a little more careful next time. i definitely would like to build this motor but their isn't alot out there. the head from the rsx is salvageable, but i didn't want the headache. plus this tsx motor i have only has 3 miles on it. cybernation's stage 2 comes with turbo, je pistons, and eagle rods. the pistons are gone but the rods are still ok. unfortunately i cannot reuse the rods. i have spoken with many people on how much boost to run on a stock tsx motor and everyone seems to agree that 10psi should be safe enough until i can save up some more money to build it. i'll have my motor on wednesday and me and some friends will start probably over the weekend. i already have my rsx motor out so it will be simply lining things up and putting the tsx motor in. from what i hear, it is fairly simple. i have however received mixed recomendations regarding the intake manifold though. i know that i have to switch the throttle bodies but not sure about the intake mani though. i had to purchase a passenger side crv block mount and i just got it in today. can't wait for this damn thing to show up so we can't get started on it.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NightHawk CL9
check clubrsx there is at least 1 guy running a tsx in an rsx and there could be more. sincce u have k-pro i think that you will be able to use the turbo, but i wouldn't think 10psi was safe, cause noone that i know of has run it, u may be fine, or you may blow up. think there are pistons out je comes to mind, but not sure if they have them or what company that was, as far as sleaves aem i believe has some. and check kingmoporsports..com on retainers and valve springs..... hope that helped
thanx for the website. i will check kingmotorsports today to see what they have. i know they are popular for boring out the throttle bodies so they definitely have a good reputation.

oh yeah, and as far as the guy "running the tsx in an rsx"...that guy has a base model rsx and he just used the tsx head and modified everything else himself. that guy is pretty intelligent. he fabricates his own equipment and materials. he is strictly na though, but i at least got his input to help make this tsx motor work.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you don't rev past it's redline at 10 PSI with stock internals

K24A2 redline = 7100rpm.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sauceman
Make sure you don't rev past it's redline at 10 PSI with stock internals

K24A2 redline = 7100rpm.
definitely right about that. i have the unfortunate situation of having to guess instead of having a nice set of red numbers to let me know when i am getting close to never never land.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

kingmotorsports has skunk2 valve springs and retainers and i think camshafts. spoke with a guy over at jepistons.com named matt at ext 248 and he said that there are no pistons out yet for the tsx motor and that he would have to custom make some. he said that it would cost about $660. this is starting to be depressing.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Special-K

kingmotorsports has skunk2 valve springs and retainers and i think camshafts. spoke with a guy over at jepistons.com named matt at ext 248 and he said that there are no pistons out yet for the tsx motor and that he would have to custom make some. he said that it would cost about $660. this is starting to be depressing.
Why didnt you just get another K20?? makes more sense
Old 04-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
Why didnt you just get another K20?? makes more sense
here's the thing. i couldn't find a motor for the same price as the motor i found for the tsx. i paid 1800 for a 2005 tsx motor minus tranny with only 3 miles on it. i couldn't pass that up. plus i like the fact that the tsx motor has more torque. more and more guys on clubrsx are going to be doing this because of the lack of torque on the rsx motor. along with the turbo, my wiring harness, and k-pro, i should have a torque monster with lots of power. i found the valves, springs, and retainers and i can fabricate the pistons. all i need now are the rods and i can use the potential of my turbo. once i get it tuned i'll post up the numbers so everyone can see. here's a question...if i can put my turbo kit on this motor, shouldn't you guys be able to as well? i'm sure it can work if all i'm doing is changing the throttle body, wiring harness, and maybe possibly the intake mani. with k-pro, it should be possible. if you guys want the phone number to cybernation then here it is: 954-523-8483. maybe they can shed some light.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Professional Newbie

whoa whoa, i'm a real noob here, how the hell did you blow your engine when you "mis-shifted" ? can somebody explain to me what exactly that means and how that happened?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
whoa whoa, i'm a real noob here, how the hell did you blow your engine when you "mis-shifted" ? can somebody explain to me what exactly that means and how that happened?
i call it "mis-shift" because i was going about 70 - 75mph and an rx-7 pulls next to me to race. i tried to downshift to 4th but due to my stupidity and clumsiness i went to 2nd. needless to say, rev limit had a new meaning that night. the harmonious sound of clump, clump, clump filled my ears with despair. thank god for tow trucks.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:44 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

ouch.

I bet he was confused.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

ok i have an update on what i've found so far. i spoke with a rep over at crower and he said that he could custom fabricate the pistons for 600 and the rods for 750 (talk about steep). he also said that crower is coming out with cams in about 2 months.
I also have a question. i went to icbmotorsport.com and found some items for sale for the honda accord euro-r which i already know is basically the tsx. my question is...when i visited the site they had euro-r parts and prelude parts together. prelude is h22 isn't it? are their some similarities between the 2 cars or am i just a dumbass? well anyway, just thought that was kind of odd.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

6th gen of Euro-R had H22A7 I believe. The engine was pretty similar to that of the prelude type SH. It pulled 12 or 16 more horses though.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sauceman
6th gen of Euro-R had H22A7 I believe. The engine was pretty similar to that of the prelude type SH. It pulled 12 or 16 more horses though.
does that mean that the parts are interchangeable? can i use some parts from the prelude for this motor?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Nope, because that was on the previous generation of euro-r's. Since 2003, they have changed both chassis and engine series. The 7th gen Euro-r is a CL7 with a K20A. (same engine as DC5R)

Very few, if any parts are interchangeable.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Stokeless

10 psi??? Its doable but I would stick to about 8 to be safe. That CR is high man 10.5:1. Good luck to you with your project. I have everything I need to turbo my car except a K pro. And I am not going to try a custom kit without a Kpro. So hopefully soon Hondata will come out with the K pro so I can start building my motor. Keep us updated man.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
10 psi??? Its doable but I would stick to about 8 to be safe. That CR is high man 10.5:1. Good luck to you with your project. I have everything I need to turbo my car except a K pro. And I am not going to try a custom kit without a Kpro. So hopefully soon Hondata will come out with the K pro so I can start building my motor. Keep us updated man.
thanks for the advice. crower.com sells cp pistons for the tsx motor that i can use. i think wiseco sells some products as well.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Stokeless

What boost controller are you going to run? I would stick with Greddy Profec B. I think it was Sport compact car did a test on a bunch of them. All of them spiked over what you would set it at EXCEPT for the Greddy. So stay away from HKS and Blitz. They cost more anyway.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
What boost controller are you going to run? I would stick with Greddy Profec B. I think it was Sport compact car did a test on a bunch of them. All of them spiked over what you would set it at EXCEPT for the Greddy. So stay away from HKS and Blitz. They cost more anyway.
thanks for the advice. most people on clubrsx use the greddy so that is what i will use as well. i didn't have a boost controller on my rsx so i'm definitely getting one for this application and greddy is the one that i am going to get.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by rmpage
Minor tangent, but why do you guys think this is? Because the K series is still relatively new? Or because the TSX is more of a luxury car and has less of a user base/market for such ventures? Only two reasons I can think of.

People still have warranties out on their cars... once that time frame passes where 20k+ users pass 50k miles, I'm sure some aftermarket will come out to appeal to those who aren't worried about breaking their cars. I think that's one reason that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

my tsx motor just came in...yay! i wish i could just snap my fingers and the motor is installed and running. i'll keep everyone posted once i get started on this project.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i call it "mis-shift" because i was going about 70 - 75mph and an rx-7 pulls next to me to race. i tried to downshift to 4th but due to my stupidity and clumsiness i went to 2nd. needless to say, rev limit had a new meaning that night. the harmonious sound of clump, clump, clump filled my ears with despair. thank god for tow trucks.
And you want to put the turbo on the new engine???

And I hope before anyone tries this turbo set up on their TSX, they will wait for the guy who blew up his last engine with it to test it first.

Good luck! If it doesn't work......third time is a charm!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CJams
And you want to put the turbo on the new engine???

And I hope before anyone tries this turbo set up on their TSX, they will wait for the guy who blew up his last engine with it to test it first.

Good luck! If it doesn't work......third time is a charm!
thats what i'm here for. i'll be your test dummy.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck man....I'd really like to see some pics of the engine and also shots of it as it's getting installed
Old 04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Stokeless

Yes PIX please when install is complete
Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

i'm definitely putting up pics. as far as pics during the install, i'll try but not promising anything. if i run into something that is out of the ordinary or a little different then i will keep everyone updated on it. but definitely pics once its up and running.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pics please, and good luck!