Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Mods

I read another article and had this idea... if you count all of the separate mufflers, resonator and the cat it adds up to five. That seems like too many. The cat is required and the first resonator is a straight thru design so they should stay. The mufflers at the tail end have to stay for obvious reasons.

What about removing that restrictive center muffler and replacing it with a section of straight pipe. It chokes the system unnecessarily and would give the exhaust a louder note without much interior noise (the first resonator should take care of that). Any ideas??:thinking:
Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I just watched the vtec.net undercar review for the tsx and I only saw the cat, single resonator and two mufflers. Maybe I missed something.... vtec.net does think, however, that there are gains to be had by changing the exhaust system. The y pipe looks a bit restricive. As does the point where the large downpipe necks down to meet the cat.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

That's interesting. Comptech's exhaust and headers don't seem to address either of those issues.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
That's interesting. Comptech's exhaust and headers don't seem to address either of those issues.

The headers do actually..i misspoke. the restriction they noted was where the downpip meets the flex-coupling. That 2-1 design might indeed make some power. Here's hoping!

From looking at those picks the y-pipe does look better too. STock tsx it looks like a T. 90 degree bends, not the smooth mandrel bends you can see on the comptech. EDIT: just looked back and the comptech/tsx stock exhaust don't look all that different. The secondaries to the mufflers might be a little bigger and the bends look slightly less severe...but not by much. No idea how that will affect performance but it sounds like there is some room for improvement.

I totally reccomend watching the vtec.net undercar review videos..interesting
Old 10-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Cruisin'

I got a bug today and went ahead and removed that center muffler. It is just after the resonator and before the split. As it turned out, it too is another resonator of straight thru construction just under a foot long (but heavy). I welded a short section of pipe and the whole thing took about an hour.

The sound out of the tail pipes are a little mellower and there is little if any change in cabin noise. Will it breathe any better? I haven't really noticed... if nothing else, it isn't as boring as it was in stock trim. For a sporty car it was way too subduded before the change.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Audi Driving Snob

sweeeet. Custom work is always fun to hear about. If you look at the comptech exhaust it seems not to have that second resonator...maybe your exhaust will sound like the comptech one now
Old 11-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Stokeless

i took both resonators out of mine when i get back from being out to sea ill see if i cant jack the car up and take some pix of my exhaust for u guys
Old 11-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TinkySD
I totally reccomend watching the vtec.net undercar review videos..interesting
Saw It and I think I will get the sway bar. I drive way too spirited and feel a lot of roll. I'm sure that Comtech swaybar will really help my spirited driving.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know this isnt on topic, but ortiz, how did you do that 'blue interior'?! that looks awesome!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:42 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

well

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
i took both resonators out of mine when i get back from being out to sea ill see if i cant jack the car up and take some pix of my exhaust for u guys
What kind of sound did you get when you removed them both?
What about performance gains, cabin noise increase?

How does it sound when you punch it? Or at idle?