Excelerate, Please Accept this Apology (Re: Crank Pulley Argument)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Excelerate, Please Accept this Apology (Re: Crank Pulley Argument)

Some of you might remember this rather disgraceful argument Josh and I had during the holidays between Christmas and New Year.

As I had mentionned a few times then, I would seek out for correct information and hand it out whether it proved me wrong or not.

Well this is done now, and I didn't need to seek out for a Honda engineer to realize I was in the wrong all along. The K-series engine has a one-piece solid steel crank pulley fitted originally. There are no provisions for dampening engine harmonics. Not only such is the case with K-series, but it has also been the case with it's predecessor, the F-series block, which I had been arguing about as well.

Such is what I found out after discussing with the parts manager this morning during my regular maintenance visit.

So an UR Crank pulley wouldn't be potentially harmful to the engine (even the parts manager reckoned this) as I claimed it could be, and I strongly feel it should be known, since I so loudly argued the contrary.

The one thing I found interesting however, and this I will also add, is that the parts manager actually told me that in one case he had to supply with an overdrive accessory pulley set, because the stock set wasn't sufficient for the use one TSX owner did with his car: his battery went constantly dead, and that was because of his heavy use of accessories. Besides, I remember the Owner's manual advising against running all the heating elements while the car ran at idle. Probably the guy was doing too much of this.

But the manager also told me that in my case, since I drove a lot of highway miles where the alternator worked at or close to optimum performance, an underdrive kit would probably not be harmful.

Anyway, as I promised, given the enlightment, I need to retract myself from what I've previously stated, with appologies included.

Jeff.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
Some of you might remember this rather disgraceful argument Josh and I had during the holidays between Christmas and New Year.

Anyway, as I promised, given the enlightment, I need to retract myself from what I've previously stated, with appologies included.Jeff.
I remember that thread, and it takes character to post this follow-up.

Thanks for the information.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Very classy.

Props on the research, and having enough balls to actually apologize.

In the legendary words of Ron Burgundy: "Stay classy, Sauceman".

Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Jeff, I appreciate your honesty and your apology. That shows that you are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge on this forum and not your own personal self-interest. I know I had installed the pulley set on my Accord nearly four years ago (F-Series engine) and I never had remembered seeing anything resembling a harmonic dampener on my crank pulley.

Also, in line with your point, I do not recommend anyone to run the underdrive set if you have a stereo in your car over 600 watts RMS. I know I ran these pulleys and I had a 2000 Watt stereo system and I can remember numerous times my car dying at idle after about 15 minutes of idling. The gains can be found from the lighter weight and the underdriving of the system, but if you have a serious stereo system wait for the Ultra SC components to come out. If you do not have a stereo system this large, then begin the modding b/c I would like to see a dyno of this mod.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
We still love you ManSauce
Old 01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
:gheyhug:
Old 01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It takes a lot of class to admit when you're wrong.

This sounds like a pretty good mod. I run way too much electronics to do it myself, but someone should do it!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Racer

This is what I like to see. A good fight in argument. And then forgiveness afterwards.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i accept your apology saucy
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if I could just see a dyno of this part with a TSX I would go buy one ~
Old 01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Jeff, I appreciate your honesty and your apology. That shows that you are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge on this forum and not your own personal self-interest. I know I had installed the pulley set on my Accord nearly four years ago (F-Series engine) and I never had remembered seeing anything resembling a harmonic dampener on my crank pulley.

Also, in line with your point, I do not recommend anyone to run the underdrive set if you have a stereo in your car over 600 watts RMS. I know I ran these pulleys and I had a 2000 Watt stereo system and I can remember numerous times my car dying at idle after about 15 minutes of idling. The gains can be found from the lighter weight and the underdriving of the system, but if you have a serious stereo system wait for the Ultra SC components to come out. If you do not have a stereo system this large, then begin the modding b/c I would like to see a dyno of this mod.
You've hit the nail on the head. I wish above all to contribute to bettering the knowledge in this forum. I know many other members are as sincere about this as well.

I am also very curious to see someone dynoing the set, see how it would fare. I can imagine a slight but very progressive power increase.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
High Class!

Very Classy! Like most typical TSX owners
Old 01-23-2006, 06:19 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I missed this thread, good stuff by all.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Its rare to have the TSX forum graced by the presence of the mighty
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excelerate

Which pulley is this?? I'll test it!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're worried about the main pulley, for some cars you can find sets that replace the other pulleys but leave the crank one alone. Maybe that would be an option....

I can remember lots of comments online from years ago discouraging the changing of the crank pulley (in general, not the TSX), so I can see where one would be nervous about doing it. But you can also see many messages from those who've done it (again, I'm not speaking of the TSX specifically)....

So, who here is hard-core enough to risk it?