Dohcgarage Header Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might get one of these but would span a support from
the engine block to the flange, like the stock support.

I don't like the idea of the engine twisting against these rigid
header designs with 4 manifold bolts into the head taking all
the load and vibration.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:54 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matell
I've never had a problem from the Hi-Flow cat throwing a CEL. If you have a DC, and you've noticed even the slightest change in sound that you could easily think you're imagining, jack your car up, put your hands and ears near the flex pipe and have an assistant start the car through the window.

My first DC failed flex was just like that. It seemed to pull harder (though in your case temp will also contribute) and then I had sporadic CEL's before after about a week it was on permanently.
I have the Fixed version of DC Header, the weld looks better than the first batch.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpt
OK, I've scheduled dyno testing at Curry's for next Monday. Does anyone want to see A/F ratios along with the dyno results? It's $50 more and I'm inclined to pass on it since a header shouldn't affect A/F, but if people think it will be useful to know I can ask for it.

i have the air fuel results to for dynos i got... car runs a tad bit richer...i'll see if i can upload those too if you guys are interested in seeing those...
Old 06-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Matell

Originally Posted by chuson
I have the Fixed version of DC Header, the weld looks better than the first batch.
Just thought I better make it clear that the pics I posted are both repairs, and not the original flex incase there's any confusion.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon you guys should make sure of the quality of this header and that the hp gains are verifiable. Someone should repeat this by buying the header, doing a dyno beforehand, and the one after the header is installed. I'm not saying the original poster is lying but you have to be careful b/c it could be a marketing ploy. Let someone verify the gains first and see if they are reliable.

not marketing this header for anyone... just felt like you guys should see my results... however seems like some people think of me as "marketing" this header for some company... people asked me where i got it, and how much, and i told them how much and where i got it.. never bent their arms backwards, just the honest true each time....i have hook up's at dynos and constantly get offered to test parts since i spent thousands on my civic, and i'm always on the dyno testing each and every part....i think i'll just keep all my test and dyno's to myself for now on.... have a good day peoples!

btw, purchase place of the header and dyno are 2 totally different shops and locations...
Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

OP, its not that we think you're a troll, its just that people are intrigued by your excellent results. I (we) see results like that and say "Wow, that's excellent, and a good value" and wonder if its a too good to be true situation. Its natural for people to be a little bit skeptical, so the other members here are offering to repeat your setup and dyno to prove what you're saying.

If anything, many people here are trying to validate what you originally posted, and others (myself included) are really hoping its true.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by aaronng
Won't serve much purpose. THey usually use SS304 or SS304L for stainless steel exhaust parts and those are magnetic. The only other common stainless steel that is not magnetic is SS316(L), and they don't use that for car parts because it is too soft.
304 / 304L is magnetic? I could have swore it wasn't. Not 100% shure though.

I was trying to see if they used a lower-grade 430 Stainless which is more of a "general purpose" stainless and has much lower corrosion resistance. Even worse, the weldability and machinability isn't as good as 304. Using a magnet was a way some of us would check between the alloys when one of our China suppliers would try to pull a fast one on us.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
not marketing this header for anyone... just felt like you guys should see my results... however seems like some people think of me as "marketing" this header for some company... people asked me where i got it, and how much, and i told them how much and where i got it.. never bent their arms backwards, just the honest true each time....i have hook up's at dynos and constantly get offered to test parts since i spent thousands on my civic, and i'm always on the dyno testing each and every part....i think i'll just keep all my test and dyno's to myself for now on.... have a good day peoples!

btw, purchase place of the header and dyno are 2 totally different shops and locations...
jdmturtleracin, relax... I think people are appreciative of what you have done to test this new header. There will always be skepticism of any new products that are newly available or something people are not familiar with or have never tried. In this case, people are even more skeptical because it's a close DC copy.

It's actually a good thing that more people are willing to conduct testing and validation because such pratices are very rare due to the extra cost on top of a product. Therefore, you shouldn't feel offended because someone else wants to conduct another set of testing. It's the same reason why you did the dyno testing of the other products.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
jdmturtleracin, relax... I think people are appreciative of what you have done to test this new header. There will always be skepticism of any new products that are newly available or something people are not familiar with or have never tried. In this case, people are even more skeptical because it's a close DC copy.

It's actually a good thing that more people are willing to conduct testing and validation because such pratices are very rare due to the extra cost on top of a product. Therefore, you shouldn't feel offended because someone else wants to conduct another set of testing. It's the same reason why you did the dyno testing of the other products.

I, for one, really appreciate you posting about it. It presents another option to TSX modders and the more we learn the more we try. Please don't take the comments in this thread as criticism of you. As with any mod, there will be varied views and opinions. The more views and opinions are posted the better informed our members become to make their own decisions.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd

I was trying to see if they used a lower-grade 430 Stainless which is more of a "general purpose" stainless and has much lower corrosion resistance. Even worse, the weldability and machinability isn't as good as 304. Using a magnet was a way some of us would check between the alloys when one of our China suppliers would try to pull a fast one on us.

This is a good point. One of the downfalls of overseas manufacturing is their general lack of legal standards systems. US products are more expensive because of quality, consistancy, and reliability requirements we force ourselves to meet. ISO and Juran , six-sigma.....Companies here try to strive for as few defective parts as possbile while maintaining a high quality, while lower-cost production pieces generally manufacture with the "shot-gun" approach. Where most of the parts age good, and you are going to get some fliers. Material selection or application does fall under this thinking as well!

Maybe these headers are not very high tolerance, so we will never really know the difference. But if you put 100 of these headers side by side, and 100 DC headers side by side, you would almost surely see more consistancy in the DCs. Of course, I AM ONLY SPECULATING, based on education specific to this matter. I am a Manufacturing Engineering major.

Marcus
Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^
you made DC header sound like a good choice.....however a lot of them break right?
Since ebay brand raised their price...you could get DC header for 50 dollars more....

I think lot of people are interested at this header is because it's a stainless steel and TIG weld header right?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd

I see. 304/L is magnetic, but not to the extent to 430. So you can still test it IF you have a piece of real 304/L to compare it with.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

ok someone in the other forum already receive the item
it's from TOPSPEDD and made in China

someone has knowledge plz go over and look at those pics
Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Instructor

link please?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

http://www.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13075&page=3
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM
VSA Rocks

Looks like they come with a replacement manifold gasket. Not even my $500 Comptech header came with that.

Can't really tell much from the pics.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
there is another TSX forum?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:44 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyotousa
ok someone in the other forum already receive the item
it's from TOPSPEDD and made in China
Well that answers one question at least. Mine should get here tomorrow; I'll post pictures and throw a magnet at it.

Originally Posted by TSXTuner
whoever gets the next one of these, please compare the
flexibility to the stock part.

This is DC's downfall, without the flexible flange joint, the
flex pipe section at the cat flange has to be flexible like
the stock part.
I will try to test this too but I need the test to be expressed in layman's terms. I'm looking for the flexibility of the braided-wire flex pipe section, or something more specific?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

More details

So I called Topspeed again to ask where they manufacture this header and what it's made of. The manager I spoke to confirmed that the manufacturing is done in China, in a factory owned by Topspeed. He also said they use stainless steel alloy T304. This could be a lie, of course, but as he specifically said 304 without prompting I'll give them the benefit of the doubt unless someone can find a reliable way for me to distinguish 304 from 430 -- so far I have the magnet test but I need a source of genuine 304 to compare the header to.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Some stainless steel info...

http://www.aalco.co.uk/technical/stainless.html
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Some?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Skater, Gentleman, Sniper

While proudly admitting that I need to see some independent verification of this product before bolting it to my Acura beauty...I must admit I find it humerous that the "made in China" stamp is a cause for concern...very few of the well operating, highly technical devices in my life are NOT made in China, or Japan, or at least Asia.

I for one would not feel better if it said..."made in Alabama" https://acurazine.com/forums/newrepl...te=1&p=584081#
Yum

And to think we fought the Revolutionary war largely to retain our right to manufacture finished goods... how silly of us.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WECoyote13
While proudly admitting that I need to see some independent verification of this product before bolting it to my Acura beauty...I must admit I find it humerous that the "made in China" stamp is a cause for concern...very few of the well operating, highly technical devices in my life are NOT made in China, or Japan, or at least Asia.

I for one would not feel better if it said..."made in Alabama" https://acurazine.com/forums/newrepl...te=1&p=584081#
Yum

And to think we fought the Revolutionary war largely to retain our right to manufacture finished goods... how silly of us.
What are you linking to? I just get the "new reply" page.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer

My header just came in. The quality so far seems very good. I'm gonna get to work on putting in here in an hour or so, so I'll be sure to take pics and report back on the results There is no "made in China" anywhere on it either, despite what many were saying.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kwjustin89
My header just came in. The quality so far seems very good. I'm gonna get to work on putting in here in an hour or so, so I'll be sure to take pics and report back on the results There is no "made in China" anywhere on it either, despite what many were saying.
I think the "Made in China" is on the box. Take some measurement of the collector while you at it.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Racer

Yeah, but there was no indication of "Made in China" on the box either. Not to sound dumb, but what do you mean by the collector? I'll take the measurement though. I'll be heading over to my friend's house in a bit to put my car on the lift and install it.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Racer

Installed. Everything fit perfect. I definately can feel a difference in power all throughout the powerband....especially in the lower rpms. I haven't driven it that much, but what I did drive, I could feel a difference for sure. My exhaust sounds a bit louder/bassier also, but not by much.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by kwjustin89
Yeah, but there was no indication of "Made in China" on the box either. Not to sound dumb, but what do you mean by the collector? I'll take the measurement though. I'll be heading over to my friend's house in a bit to put my car on the lift and install it.
That's the part where the primaries merge, right before it bolts onto the cat. Measure the ID of the fitting at the flange. JTso's compiled a long list of dimensions of most (all?) of the parts we can use, which is a great thing because matching piping size is critical, especially pre-cat where the exhaust gases are still nice and hot, under lots of pressure.

Glad to hear it's working out for you too. A dyno would be great if you could swing it. The placebo effect is not to be underestimated.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Racer

I doubt I can get to a dyno anytime soon, because the closest one is like over 100 miles away, and my parents would not let me drive that far. But I honestly do feel gains on the butt dyno. It makes the hissing noise like the DC header also. Hopefully someone else ordered one too that can access a dyno easier than me.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Does the flex pipe have an inner mesh layer? It shouldn't hiss if it does.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

you can upload pics here
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/
Old 06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Racer

Nah, inside the flex pipe is solid and not mesh, just like the DC. It has like little ribs.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

so how loud is it? can you actually hear the header with window up?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I got confuse, are these headers the e-bay one or from jdmturtle??
Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyotousa
so how loud is it? can you actually hear the header with window up?
It it a little bit louder. It seemed to make my exhaust sound a tad deeper. Other than that, it hisses like I said. You can hear that with the window up or down. And this is the jdmturtle header, btw.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

I don't want no hissy header
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
hissy = DC

possible occasion rattle = comptech

take your pick!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Racer

I just thought that I would update on the performance of the header. I guess the ECU has adjusted finally. Low end, my car feels totally different. I actually have some power in the lower RPMS now and I can notice that the car revs up much more quickly and freely. Even at around half throttle, the car pulls much better....it's like someone said here before about another header. It's like I don't have to punch the car now to get power.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Racer

Sounds good so far. Just need to see some long term results now.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Got my header yesterday, will post pics today. (I got it from delubozparts, but to clarify, we have verified that both the ebay store and DOHCGarage are selling the TopSpeed Auto Accessories header, a 2-piece Chinese-made SS header) The replacement exhaust manifold gasket was damaged during shipping but delubozparts is mailing me a new one, so I should still be able to install it this weekend.

Also got dyno'd yesterday at Curry's Auto in Dulles. Their Mustang dyno read 180WHP (SAE corrected) for my car bone stock! Gotta get back to work now but will scan the results later.

Quick Reply: Dohcgarage Header Test