Dohcgarage Header Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...3 dyno runs and people still dont' believe it... if someone wants to paypal me like $80 bucks i'll go to another dyno to get it test. and video record it, have it notorized saying it's a real reading, then take it to a lawyer to make sure the notary is real, then ask judge judy to make sure the lawyer is real. DUDE... WHAT YOU GUYS WANT ME TO DO?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:20 AM
無限 本田 CL9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the power is proven, but the durability is not... only time will tell
Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
wow...3 dyno runs and people still dont' believe it... if someone wants to paypal me like $80 bucks i'll go to another dyno to get it test. and video record it, have it notorized saying it's a real reading, then take it to a lawyer to make sure the notary is real, then ask judge judy to make sure the lawyer is real. DUDE... WHAT YOU GUYS WANT ME TO DO?
I don't think anyone's questioning the results, but it was mentioned that the max HP is not really 170, its more like 163ish. If you look at your dyno w/ the header it has a big bump 6900RPM which is very abnormal. Do you have all 3 dynos runs, do they all have that bump?

I wouldn't focus on the max HP, the overlay of the stock and aftermarket header shows good gains all way through which is a great improvement
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
my comptech header goes on today!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Mystery solved!

I ordered the header yesterday ($170 shipped from delubozparts ebay store) and was informed that was obtained from Top Speed Auto Acessories (interestingly they retail it for a price more in line with the DC header). Called TS and they confirmed that they manufactured it themselves, it is TIG-welded stainless steel, and it comes with a 1-year warranty. It is also NOT CARB-certified. Not sure if there's anything else I should have asked, but we'll see what the dyno says (I don't have Hondata yet, so I'll get pulls at bone stock, just header, and eventually header + reflash).
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xizor
I don't think anyone's questioning the results, but it was mentioned that the max HP is not really 170, its more like 163ish. If you look at your dyno w/ the header it has a big bump 6900RPM which is very abnormal. Do you have all 3 dynos runs, do they all have that bump?
Isn't this a normal effect of AT torque converter unlocking? I know Hondata made a note of the same effect on their results when testing the reflash. Dunno why the stock dyno doesn't have the same bump but anyway the solid gains all around are a definite
Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not questioning your results or dissing the header. I'm simply practicing caveat emptor. There is nothing more I want you to do. You've installed it, tested it, reviewed it, dynod it, and posted your opinions. I have bitched and moaned about not having an aftermarket header in other threads and this, so far, looks like a great option for me. But, I need to see a couple of things besides a dyno or two. I want to trust its build quality and long term durability. Since this header doesn't come from a company like Comptech that has built its reputation over years of manufacturing quality performance parts I will wait until there is a larger sample size of opinions and reviews before I take the plunge. Nothing against you or the header, only me being careful.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by jiggaman
my comptech header goes on today!
Are you getting a dyno with it?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt
I ordered the header yesterday ($170 shipped from delubozparts ebay store) and was informed that was obtained from Top Speed Auto Acessories (interestingly they retail it for a price more in line with the DC header). Called TS and they confirmed that they manufactured it themselves, it is TIG-welded stainless steel, and it comes with a 1-year warranty. It is also NOT CARB-certified. Not sure if there's anything else I should have asked, but we'll see what the dyno says (I don't have Hondata yet, so I'll get pulls at bone stock, just header, and eventually header + reflash).
Very interested (as are most people) to see the dyno of stock vs. header. Are you 5AT or 6MT?

And at the price delbuzoparts is selling these, I'm definately interested.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by rmpage
Are you getting a dyno with it?
i was thinking about it, i should huh?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Drives With Hands

i was thinking about it, i should huh?
It's a nice validation that money spent on the header was worth it, and that the car feeling faster isn't just the placebo effect.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmpage
It's a nice validation that money spent on the header was worth it, and that the car feeling faster isn't just the placebo effect.
IMO dyno for comptech is kinda waste of money man.....someone already done it for you 10whp ....
Supposely Comptech's QC should be good enough to trust them
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I spend 2 much time here

i'm more curious to see what my engine puts out, not whether the comptech makes a difference or not.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

i'm more curious to see what my engine puts out, not whether the comptech makes a difference or not.
in that case do it....
if i put on the ebay header i might do a dyno also

i only have icebox rite now....

anyone know in general how loud is the header? will icebox mask it?
my friend has Borla exhaust...it masked out both of the intake and header sound haha
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Lotta skeptics on this forum, which is good. Alot of informed consumers, thats all. I wouldn't take to heart, people just want to know what they're spending their money on.

Regardless, great find with this header.

Originally Posted by jpt
Great work. too bad its not CARB approved, I would be all over this. Now it makes me think twice.

Is CARB approval in process or out of the question?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^^
The car only need to be CARB approved in CA right?
where can I find more info?

I live in TX....shouldn't matter?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by curls
Very interested (as are most people) to see the dyno of stock vs. header. Are you 5AT or 6MT?
2006 6MT.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Great work. too bad its not CARB approved, I would be all over this. Now it makes me think twice.

They unfortunately have no current plans for CARB approval. It doesn't sound like they bother to do this for any of their parts. That's almost certainly a big part of the reason it costs less than the competing headers -- government approval of anything is rarely an easy or inexpensive process.

How hard is it to get away with putting non-approved parts on your car in CA? A header is pretty hard to see... not like taking out your cat or anything.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kyotousa
^^^^
The car only need to be CARB approved in CA right?
where can I find more info?

I live in TX....shouldn't matter?
Yup, only Cali....CARB - California Air Resource Board. I don't know TX's laws.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

OK, I've scheduled dyno testing at Curry's for next Monday. Does anyone want to see A/F ratios along with the dyno results? It's $50 more and I'm inclined to pass on it since a header shouldn't affect A/F, but if people think it will be useful to know I can ask for it.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jpt
They unfortunately have no current plans for CARB approval. It doesn't sound like they bother to do this for any of their parts. That's almost certainly a big part of the reason it costs less than the competing headers -- government approval of anything is rarely an easy or inexpensive process.

How hard is it to get away with putting non-approved parts on your car in CA? A header is pretty hard to see... not like taking out your cat or anything.
There are ways around it....like you said, there is no difference to the the sniffer, but most smog places do a visual inspection of exhaust parts. If you can find a smog test station that knows a bit about how headers work, and are sympathetic, you might be able to swing it. I've known people to bribe the smog stations as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

There are ways around it....like you said, there is no difference to the the sniffer, but most smog places do a visual inspection of exhaust parts. If you can find a smog test station that knows a bit about how headers work, and are sympathetic, you might be able to swing it. I've known people to bribe the smog stations as well.
Hmm. Well probably if I were a californian I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra $200 for the DC header rather than risking it, but I'm really bad at bribery

How often do you have to do smog testing? If it's only every couple years you could always swap the stock header back in for inspections.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If these headers display longeviy and don't crack over time...I'm in!
So good luck to whomever bought them, if all goes well, we'll all be happy campers
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
If these headers display longeviy and don't crack over time...I'm in!
So good luck to whomever bought them, if all goes well, we'll all be happy campers
so how long are you going to wait till they crack
haha...jp
Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, it is very tempting, especially at these prices. This is a better bang-for-the-buck than most mods.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by evo_to_tsx
the power is proven, but the durability is not... only time will tell
I don't think the power gain is proven - need to see many more dyno runs and before and after comparisons. The CL9 ECU is always adjusting so seeing different results on the same car even when there are no modifications is typical.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jpt
Hmm. Well probably if I were a californian I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra $200 for the DC header rather than risking it, but I'm really bad at bribery

How often do you have to do smog testing? If it's only every couple years you could always swap the stock header back in for inspections.
Its every 2 years if Im not mistaken. I could switch everytime I need to smog, but I'm lazy. I'd rather pay the extra money and get a Comptech or DC.

This is a good find for the rest of the country though, no doubt.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yfin
I don't think the power gain is proven - need to see many more dyno runs and before and after comparisons. The CL9 ECU is always adjusting so seeing different results on the same car even when there are no modifications is typical.
he showed us both before and after dyno...also 3 pulls....=_=|||
but yah that final spike is probably an outlier i'd say same gain as DC header
it's a full race heade
Old 06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well we don't have to smog for the first 6 years, so you might just wanna do it anyway and enjoy it during that time.

Also, the DC header is not CARB approved yet. They are in the process of getting that done. (That's what they told me when I called them a couple of months ago asking about it anyway.)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyotousa
he showed us both before and after dyno...also 3 pulls....=_=|||
but yah that final spike is probably an outlier i'd say same gain as DC header
it's a full race heade
Go and dyno your car on different days - same dyno and no modifications - and you could see easily 10% difference without doing anything.

All I am saying is we need to see more before and after dynos of this modification as those common variances need to be ruled out before immediately proclaiming 14hp increases.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Well we don't have to smog for the first 6 years, so you might just wanna do it anyway and enjoy it during that time.
Is it for the first 6? Maybe I was going off of my old teg, which was every 2.

This might be worth it then.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Drives With Hands

Definitely. I was surprised that I only got 165whp (SAE uncorrected) with CAI, bored TB, ported IM, Hondata IMG, Hondata reflash, header, cat, and exhaust. Granted I have a 5AT and their dyno is a Mustang, but that's still a little less than I expected.

Actually, that makes me wonder how he got the same thing with just a header, though Dynojets do generally register a bit higher.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it for the first 6? Maybe I was going off of my old teg, which was every 2.

This might be worth it then.
Yeah there was a recent law change that made it 6. I saw Joerocket posting this.

And I think it's worth it. I'm running a DC header and Random Tech Cat

...Also, I was wrong about the DC. They are now CARB approved. I just called and am going to email pics of my header so they can send me a CARB sticker.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Racer

JPT, is your car stock? Will the header be the first mod?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:06 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AamirCWITR
JPT, is your car stock? Will the header be the first mod?
Currently bone stock except for a Comptech RSB, 2005 rims and Avon Tech M550 A/S tires, none of which should affect dyno results.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Excuse the stupid question but, how does the header affect emissions? I thought the header only optimized the ouflow of the exhaust from the engine reducing the back pressure.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^it shouldn't
Old 06-08-2006, 02:38 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

If you're asking why headers need to be CARB-certified, it's probably because the law is phrased in such a way that anything with exhaust gas flowing through it needs to be certified. Also I guess that certification proves it's not a race header (catless) or something.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

So, even if its not CARB certified, why would a SMOG station care what header you have? The car either passes the emissions test or it doesn't. Or am I making this too simple? The last time we smogged my wife's Civic it didn't look to me like the tech paid any attention to the exhaust system components.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
So, even if its not CARB certified, why would a SMOG station care what header you have? The car either passes the emissions test or it doesn't. Or am I making this too simple?
Never underestimate the stupidity of bureaucracy

The last time we smogged my wife's Civic it didn't look to me like the tech paid any attention to the exhaust system components.
Well, that's another story... never underestimate the power of laziness I would estimate that about 75% of inspection stations everywhere spend about 5 minutes to do a job that should take a couple hours.

I bet cars that have heavy cosmetic mods get a lot more attention than stock-looking ones, though.

Quick Reply: Dohcgarage Header Test