Disappointed in Injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed in Injen CAI

So I've had the Injen CAI for about a month and I'm pretty disappointed. I feel there is a significant loss in power in the low end compared to stock, heck I even feel like there isn't any gains in the top end either. I understand a CAI is supposed to give better top end at the sacrifice of some low end but again, I don't feel any top end improvements, if not worse. I'm thinking of going back to stock without resonator and just getting a K&N filter. Are there any dynos for stock without resonator with the K&N filter?

ps. I was running the icebox before and wish I hadn't sold it. Doh!!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The performance of the icebox is pretty good compared to CAIs, the only disadvantage being the softer induction roar.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Are there any vendors still selling Icebox'?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why I sold my Injen. didn't like Injen because of excessive torque loss.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Comptech's website still looks operational. Has anyone placed an order with them recently?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by str8 tsx
Comptech's website still looks operational. Has anyone placed an order with them recently?
I called them 2 days ago, they don't have any icebox left. Just wait until they re-open again.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Are there any dynos for stock without resonator with the K&N filter?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=12
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=113992

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36831
Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Personally you have to just have to deal with it, and understand the air is being sucked through a longer tubing the short ram and even the airbox is a bit shorter.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Racer

get NST pullies they made up for a little bit of power loss i had from lower range, and you just love the pull the car has after them
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Mugen intake box FTW!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by raheel616
get NST pullies they made up for a little bit of power loss i had from lower range, and you just love the pull the car has after them
+1. I also have the problem of torque loss in the low rpm range after Injen CAI installed. However, once I have installed the UR 3pcs pulleys, the loss is back to normal (or no longer noticable). Highend pull like crazzzzzy.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM
is glad to be back!

Originally Posted by lito
Mugen intake box FTW!

ohh man +1 on that
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced

+2, Very NIICE
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Instructor

guess i'll just have to wait until comptech starts selling the icebox again in a month or so.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Racer

details about the mugen intake ?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:10 AM
is glad to be back!

Originally Posted by daicacharco
what kind of details?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I've had the Injen CAI for about a month and I'm pretty disappointed. I feel there is a significant loss in power in the low end compared to stock, heck I even feel like there isn't any gains in the top end either. I understand a CAI is supposed to give better top end at the sacrifice of some low end but again, I don't feel any top end improvements, if not worse. I'm thinking of going back to stock without resonator and just getting a K&N filter. Are there any dynos for stock without resonator with the K&N filter?

ps. I was running the icebox before and wish I hadn't sold it. Doh!!
By having a 5AT, gains are harder to notice and loss is easier to notice. Fact of life when dealing with a torque converter.

Originally Posted by lito
Mugen intake box FTW!
Yeah, some of us don't like the idea of a 2nd mortgage to get an intake. Still really nice though.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by daicacharco
First detail you need to know is it cost a grand.. haha.. are you willing to put out a grand for an intake.. if not then Id wait for the comptech because Mugen wont give you like double the gains of any intake but it looks nice
Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 AM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
By having a 5AT, gains are harder to notice and loss is easier to notice. Fact of life when dealing with a torque converter.

Yeah, some of us don't like the idea of a 2nd mortgage to get an intake. Still really nice though.
or sell one of your kidney's.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Drives With Hands

A CAI on its own is mostly a superficial modification. It looks nice, and sounds awesome, but actual performance gains are minimal. Modern SPFI engines are tuned so well from the factory that there is very little power left that can be "freed up" by simple bolt-on modifications, which used to be the case with throttle body fuel injection or carbureted vehicles. No longer can a $200~ intake get you another 20+ lb/ft of torque across the entire power band. TANSTAAFL.

The most direct and effective way to get a performance gain you can actually feel is through tuning, which is especially true for a speed/density fuel system like the TSX uses (no MAF sensor so the engine cannot adapt to changes in volumetric efficiency on its own). The parts that Hytech offers promise good power, and with cams, a LT header and a tune, a high flow intake is going to show a lot more gains than it does on its own. Remember that you are starting with an engine whose breathing is choked off by a restrictive, mildly-cammed K20 head and stuffy OEM catalytic converter. I eagerly await the results of the first guy who puts down the cash for the complete Hytech system. We've seen how much potential this engine has.

Personally, the only powertrain modifications that I would do over again (in retrospect) on this car are the reflash, header, and high flow cat. I noticed their impact on driveability, but the CAI just made more noise. I wish I hadn't sold my Icebox too.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by tsxdriver
ohh man +1 on that

+2

looks f-ing hot. i wish it wasn't so expensive, or else i'd dump my icebox for that.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rmpage
A CAI on its own is mostly a superficial modification. It looks nice, and sounds awesome, but actual performance gains are minimal. Modern SPFI engines are tuned so well from the factory that there is very little power left that can be "freed up" by simple bolt-on modifications, which used to be the case with throttle body fuel injection or carbureted vehicles. No longer can a $200~ intake get you another 20+ lb/ft of torque across the entire power band. TANSTAAFL.

The most direct and effective way to get a performance gain you can actually feel is through tuning, which is especially true for a speed/density fuel system like the TSX uses (no MAF sensor so the engine cannot adapt to changes in volumetric efficiency on its own). The parts that Hytech offers promise good power, and with cams, a LT header and a tune, a high flow intake is going to show a lot more gains than it does on its own. Remember that you are starting with an engine whose breathing is choked off by a restrictive, mildly-cammed K20 head and stuffy OEM catalytic converter. I eagerly await the results of the first guy who puts down the cash for the complete Hytech system. We've seen how much potential this engine has.

Personally, the only powertrain modifications that I would do over again (in retrospect) on this car are the reflash, header, and high flow cat. I noticed their impact on driveability, but the CAI just made more noise. I wish I hadn't sold my Icebox too.
thanks for the RELEVANT info. i went with the injen cai and happen to absolutely love it in combination with my other mods
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The stock airbox might not be that bad in the first place. A K&N filter might get you most of the gains to be had from monkeying around with the intake, but personally I dont even like the idea of using air filters that dont filter as well as the OEM paper one. (K&N's dont, and the off-brand one's I would guess dont either.)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, there is a loss in low end torque. I think you can especially feel it on the 5AT automatic with the longer gearing. Since the gearing makes the car rev slower than the shorter 6MT gearing, you end up staying in the low end a little longer, where the torque loss is. Doesn't seem like the 6MT owners notice/complain about this as much as the 5AT guys.

With that being said, the Injen intake does sound nice though. It's a little loud, but some people like that, and also how mean it sounds. More people seem to get out of my way when I have that intake on....haha.

I'm actually thinking about doing a dyno with both intakes to see what the difference is. I'll be doing that and dynoing RT Hi Flow cat vs. 04/05 OEM CAT.
I wish I had an 06 CAT to test too. Anyone wanna loan me theres?
Hopefully I can hit the dyno soon.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsx536
With that being said, the Injen intake does sound nice though. It's a little loud, but some people like that, and also how mean it sounds. More people seem to get out of my way when I have that intake on....haha.
I'm NOT for all show no go or in this case it's all sound no go. Hhaha .. alright enough. Comptech hurry up and open up again so I can get back the icebox.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by Tsx536
The blower must sound awesome with the Injen.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Racer

I have a 6MT and I got the Injen CAI. I love it, works great with the manual. My only question is why do people want to get more power out of their TSX when they have it mated with a 5AT? The automatic transmission takes away a lot of power and it is very noticeable on these little 4 bangers. I'm not saying that they are wasting time and money, not at all, in fact the more power the better, but why start with such a low baseline with the automatic and then complain when the mods don't magically transport the car into a speed demon? If you wanted to have a faster TSX why didn't they just hold out a little longer and find the manual? I guess the answer to all of this do what makes you happy. Just my .
Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by shmork53
I have a 6MT and I got the Injen CAI. I love it, works great with the manual. My only question is why do people want to get more power out of their TSX when they have it mated with a 5AT? The automatic transmission takes away a lot of power and it is very noticeable on these little 4 bangers. I'm not saying that they are wasting time and money, not at all, in fact the more power the better, but why start with such a low baseline with the automatic and then complain when the mods don't magically transport the car into a speed demon? If you wanted to have a faster TSX why didn't they just hold out a little longer and find the manual? I guess the answer to all of this do what makes you happy. Just my .
Not everyone has the personal situation that allows them to drive an MT.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by shmork53

Technically an "emergency" car for the folks, even though they still have the MDX sitting in the garage. Like CGTSX2004 said, not everyone in their situation lets them get the MT.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone seen this thread?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26599