Comptech Supercharger- It's Official

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratsx03
so whos gettin it???
Part of me says yes, get it. But the other part of me says save the money and put it as a down payment on a new car so I can start my race car project (the Prelude) sooner.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmpage
Is the $6k figure being tossed around including the addition of the aftercooler? Because that is certainly not the price of the base blower.
I was assuming that's closer to an out the door price after tax and installation. Other than that, I'm not sure.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Apex Clipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
$6-7K?????? Holy steak sandwiches Gattman! Thats like $150 per whp! That could get me a few bottles of boos and a hooker.

It would be nice though!
LMAO, you could probably get a whole lot more than just one hooker for that coin...

In all seriousness though, where is this $6k-7k figure coming from, I didn't see it anywhere? I'm figuring $3.5k-4k at most and the additional aftercooler $800-1200. Install should be around $500.

Kevein at Epic Motoring was telling me that they even have a TSX running the RSX kit. They just had to fabricate a new intake manifold. That TSX is making 330hp@ the wheels (can we say 3rd gear wheel spin?!?!?!) ... I'm not sure if it's the "stock" boost pressure or an upgraded under/overdrive pulley to increase boost...

I'm sure it's an upgraded pulley, but still impressive nonetheless.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:49 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that much HP, I'd start worrying about torque steer. Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Instructor

I was wondering, do we have to use the comptech ecu piggy-back or could we possibly wait and see if hondata will come up with an ecu flash for the S/C. I want the flash very badly but at the same time i would LOVE to have the S/C in my car and don't want to spend the money on both.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wolfpack_TSX_22
I was wondering, do we have to use the comptech ecu piggy-back or could we possibly wait and see if hondata will come up with an ecu flash for the S/C. I want the flash very badly but at the same time i would LOVE to have the S/C in my car and don't want to spend the money on both.

Look at it this way in addition: Hondata offers a heavily discounted rate to do multiple reflashes on one owner's ECU. So if you got the reflash, later got the blower, and then decided to (hypothetically speaking here) purchase a new Hondata reflash for the Comptech supercharger mapping (if there was one created)...you'd pay less than having to pay for your first reflash.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Look at it this way in addition: Hondata offers a heavily discounted rate to do multiple reflashes on one owner's ECU. So if you got the reflash, later got the blower, and then decided to (hypothetically speaking here) purchase a new Hondata reflash for the Comptech supercharger mapping (if there was one created)...you'd pay less than having to pay for your first reflash.
I wonder if the piggyback unit will work with a flashed ECU?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phirenze
If you've got under 30k miles on the TSX you could sell it and take at most a $2k hit (not including the value you've got form the car). Subtract that from the 6 grand price of an installed supercharger and you're back at square 1 shopping for a $33,000 car. What can you buy that's going to outperform a 275 hp TSX?

/totally agree though that there's not much value in the superchager but the stock TSX is such a steal that the combo could be worth it

$2K seems light. I just bought my 04 TSX used with 30 000 kms on it, and they lost almost $9000 for that many klicks. Maybe I got a good deal, but its in perfect shape. I think the yearly depreciation is a little more than 2K
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 PM
The extra b is for byobb

2 more questions:
Will the S/C eqipped TSX outperform a future 250 hp 2.2 L turbo version?
How much of an increase in MSRP will there be on the turbo TSX?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by phirenze
2 more questions:
Will the S/C eqipped TSX outperform a future 250 hp 2.2 L turbo version?
How much of an increase in MSRP will there be on the turbo TSX?
Question 1 answered here: http://www.indra.com/cgi-bin/magic-8-ball
Question 2 answered here: http://www.random.org/nform.html
Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts

This is correct. If you purchase a reflash, and at a later stage another cam / supercharger / turbocharger combination becomes available to you the upgrade is typically $200. The bank for buck that you get for that $200 is usually very very good value.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Racer

wow, pricey, just trade it in for a nissan 350 Z/ Lancer Evo/ Subaru Sti...
Old 04-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

hmm. anyone calling comptech and making them justify their pricing?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by BlackAc036
wow, pricey, just trade it in for a nissan 350 Z/ Lancer Evo/ Subaru Sti...

TSX Supercharged = Rare.
350Z, Evo, STI = All the same (generally).

I'll consider S/C'ing it once my warranty is over, until then, absolutely not.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well said. Not to mention the piggy back solution most likely requires cutting and tapping to the factory wiring harness, which potentially a source of mysterious problems if not done right.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by domn
I could really use 50HP but for the 6-7K needed I'd rather get another car.

It's really that much? Any official prices?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

so much money.

hondata has pretty much filled my needs.

i'm thinking about sellin my hondata heat shield gasket. i doubt i'll put it on now.

oh well, if the S/C would have come out last year - i would have bought it without a second thought.

now as time goes on, it seems kinda pointless. sorry comptech, you took to long.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Got Phó?

WoW, with that price.....you could get a GReedy Twin Turbo for the 350z. I still can't think of who would pay that much for so less.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where do you guys see the pricing for the TSX S/C?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

Did anyone else catch the article on page 2 about the Tri-Point Mazdas running in Speed WC running Comptech built engines and gearbox adapters?
Traitors!!! Comptech should run a TSX!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by drkangel348
Where do you guys see the pricing for the TSX S/C?
rough estimates.

the comptech s/c usually sells for ~4k USD.
the after cooler usually adds another ~1kUSD

then install. i can only imagine. i've had estimates for over 1k USD.

two words why i will never buy the comptech S/C: opportunity cost.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Question 1 answered here: http://www.indra.com/cgi-bin/magic-8-ball
Question 2 answered here: http://www.random.org/nform.html

Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by dzuy
rough estimates.

the comptech s/c usually sells for ~4k USD.
the after cooler usually adds another ~1kUSD

then install. i can only imagine. i've had estimates for over 1k USD.

two words why i will never buy the comptech S/C: opportunity cost.

The J-series SC sold for $3,500 from vendors and is much more complicated than the TSX kit. The RSX kit can be had for $3,000 all day long.

Comptech has never released an aftercooler for the street market (maybe not the race market either) so I don't see how you're coming up with "usually adds $1k." The aftercooler will most likely retail for around $800-$1,000 but nobody pays retail these days. The aftercooler is a amazing setup, installing the core directly into the intake manifold.

Also, the install on an RSX SC is $650 at my local dealership. If anyone pays $1,000 they are getting ripped off big time.

SC + install works out to be $73/hp given you get it for the prices i listed and you gain 50whp.

Comptech's new ACM is much different than the ECM used in the NSX/CL/TL/Accord kits. The old ECM only modified the MAP sensor voltage to hide the boost from the ECU...no other tuning was applied to the ECU.

The new ACM controls everything including the injectors. Comptech recently found Marelli injectors that can be slightly modified (the clip) to allow them to be a direct replacement. These injectors flow 410-470cc. Thus allowing for more boost to be run with the added fuel. Although I'm sure they aren't included in the base kit, it leaves the door open to future upgrades. This blower design is capable of 10-11psi given its size and maximum RPM.

You guys throwing out figures like $10k for 50whp are nuts.

Also, the RSX guys are making 258whp on 6psi in their motors with the Comptech blower. 4,000+ miles and zero problems on the drivetrain including the clutch.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrsteve
The J-series SC sold for $3,500 from vendors and is much more complicated than the TSX kit. The RSX kit can be had for $3,000 all day long.

Comptech has never released an aftercooler for the street market (maybe not the race market either) so I don't see how you're coming up with "usually adds $1k." The aftercooler will most likely retail for around $800-$1,000 but nobody pays retail these days. The aftercooler is a amazing setup, installing the core directly into the intake manifold.

Also, the install on an RSX SC is $650 at my local dealership. If anyone pays $1,000 they are getting ripped off big time.

SC + install works out to be $73/hp given you get it for the prices i listed and you gain 50whp.

Comptech's new ACM is much different than the ECM used in the NSX/CL/TL/Accord kits. The old ECM only modified the MAP sensor voltage to hide the boost from the ECU...no other tuning was applied to the ECU.

The new ACM controls everything including the injectors. Comptech recently found Marelli injectors that can be slightly modified (the clip) to allow them to be a direct replacement. These injectors flow 410-470cc. Thus allowing for more boost to be run with the added fuel. Although I'm sure they aren't included in the base kit, it leaves the door open to future upgrades. This blower design is capable of 10-11psi given its size and maximum RPM.

You guys throwing out figures like $10k for 50whp are nuts.

Also, the RSX guys are making 258whp on 6psi in their motors with the Comptech blower. 4,000+ miles and zero problems on the drivetrain including the clutch.
Thanks for clearing things up Steve.

Under 4K sounds alot better than 6.

Unfortunately its still 6-7K CAD
Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 AM
i want my nuku nuku futon

i say wait for the 2007 2.2L turbo TSX
Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gundamZZ
i say wait for the 2007 2.2L turbo TSX

Don't hold your breath
Old 04-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

As far as Hondata reflash + Comptech's ACM... they won't work together. Hondata's reflash is designed to trim fuel out of the map to lean things out in the upper RPM range slightly. Comptech has already said if you want to get the S/C DON'T spend the money on Hondata.

Hondata and Comptech have a good relationship (the K100 is used on the '02-'04 RSX-S kits) and K-pro can also be used with the Comptech kit for the RSX (using the Jackson Racing 5-7psi calibration). Hondata is certainly capable of coming out with a reflash for S/C applications...but will it be worth it? Probably not. Comptech's ACM is more than capable of doing everything a reflash from Hondata can; it just doesn't come with the flashy red Hondata stickers

There was an aftercooler design installed but it did not give the temperature drop they (Comptech) were looking for. The problem here is designing a core that will provide significant temperature drop without causing a major restriction in air flow or reducing boost by more than 0.5psi. Too small of a core will not provide a significant temperature drop, too high and you'll become restrictive.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by mrsteve

I don't see how you're coming up with "usually adds $1k." The aftercooler will most likely retail for around $800-$1,000

4,000+ miles and zero problems on the drivetrain including the clutch.
1. the rsx kit retails for 3595USD, so if you can get it for 3k USD out the door (tax and shipping) that's great. so share the wealth and tell us how you saved over 20% over retail.

2. unless i'm crazy, 800-1000USD is roughly 1k USD. (i.e. ~1K USD) no?!? i'm basing my figures off of the vortech aftercooler that has been released for the street market. even if it retails for only 800, and you can get a small discount off retail, it's still fall close to 1k USD. your comment makes no sense to me.

3. 4000 miles isn't a lot of miles. i can rack that in less than two months of driving. so to me, 4000 miles doesn't mean shit.

i haven't looked deep into the comptech kit, so i wonder if it comes with better fuel lines, better fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and other misc. items needed for that extra airflow.

regardless, even if i use your discounted numbers:

3k for S/C
800 for aftercool
650 for install

4450 USD.

so the question is, is it really worth it to you? it's not to me.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dzuy
1. the rsx kit retails for 3595USD, so if you can get it for 3k USD out the door (tax and shipping) that's great. so share the wealth and tell us how you saved over 20% over retail.
Autocarparts.com sells the RSX kit for $3055 w/o K-Pro. The ACM unit for the TSX kit can't cost more than $200. Additionally, I'm sure that many of the vendors on Acurazine can be extremely competitive with pricing. I know Smitty purchased his S/C kit for his CL-S for $3,500 (others have done the same) from a vendor on the site. The CL supercharger kit retails for $4,495.

2. unless i'm crazy, 800-1000USD is roughly 1k USD. (i.e. ~1K USD) no?!? i'm basing my figures off of the vortech aftercooler that has been released for the street market. even if it retails for only 800, and you can get a small discount off retail, it's still fall close to 1k USD. your comment makes no sense to me.
It may be close to $1,000 but it isn't required to gain 50whp so it shouldn't be included in the total price, especially since it isn't even relased yet.

3. 4000 miles isn't a lot of miles. i can rack that in less than two months of driving. so to me, 4000 miles doesn't mean shit.
Congratulations on driving so frequently, I'm sure all the seat time in the TSX is quite enjoyable. The Acura drivetrain is extremely strong in all of their most recent cars. I put 15,000 miles (and 20 1/4 mile passes) on my supercharged CL without a single drivetrain problem. Additionally, no one with the CL/TL kit has had drivetrain problems related to the S/C'er. I haven't heard of any freak problems on the RSX either.

i haven't looked deep into the comptech kit, so i wonder if it comes with better fuel lines, better fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and other misc. items needed for that extra airflow.
Larger fuel lines aren't needed as you aren't building a 600whp beast here. A higher flow fuel pump and additional FPR (I think yours is located within the fuel tank) was not required on the RSX kit so I would not expect to see one in the TSX kit.

regardless, even if i use your discounted numbers:
3k for S/C
800 for aftercool
650 for install

4450 USD.
You don't need the aftercooler. And if you did the aftercooler will allow you to run more boost. 1psi is good for roughly 10whp and the aftercooler alone should add 20whp.

So if I use revised numbers:

$3,200 for SC
$1,000 for aftercooler and new pulley
$650 for install

$4850. This combo should be good for 70 additional whp over a N/A TSX; or $69/hp.

Compare that to the catback exhaust at $800 for 2-3whp $267-400/hp

so the question is, is it really worth it to you? it's not to me.
I never said you had to buy it, but to some people it is worth it.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hmm...nice break down, mr. steve...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Photography Nerd

How much of a PITA would it be to add the aftercooler later? Something tells me it would be a pretty big job.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:50 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think I am missing something. The only thing I see on comptechs website is the RSX SC
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
I think I am missing something. The only thing I see on comptechs website is the RSX SC

Click the NewsLetter

NooBs
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Drives With Hands

How much of a PITA would it be to add the aftercooler later? Something tells me it would be a pretty big job.
Yeah. Probably 80% of the work for installing the pump and new manifold to begin with.

Personally I would feel guilty about running a roots blower without an aftercooler. Those things are de facto furnaces.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Not at all really. It would require the blower and the intake manifold removed. This does not mean a complete uninstall. The largest part of the install is moving alternator and power steering mounts, re-running coolant lines, etc. The intake manifold has been designed so that the aftercooler can drop right in.

I'm trying to find pics...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rmpage
Personally I would feel guilty about running a roots blower without an aftercooler. Those things are de facto furnaces.
Correct, IAT values will jump. My IAT @ WOT increased by about 50 with the Eaton 62 blower. Although with the aftercooler it should drop that considerably. Lower IAT means less timing retard means more power
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Found it:

This is a photoshop rendoring of how the aftercooler will work with the charger:

Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Photography Nerd

I've seen that before and I think it will work nicely. Where do they put the other parts of the heat exchanger, such as the radiator and pump?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

There's plenty of room under the hood to mount those items. A small radiator could easily be mounted infront of the factory radiator. A pump could also be mounted inline from the radiator to the core.

Ideally there would be a small reservoir mounted somewhere under the hood that would hold fluid which would then be pumped through the radiator, to the core, then back to the reservoir. This would result in the least amount of heat soak and the most consistant performance.

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger- It's Official