Comptech Closing ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Got Phó?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alrite guys, I'm buying Comptech. Who is with me?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
MAC USERS RULE

Let's do it. I can lay out $50,000.00 now we need some one to front the rest 1.5million. lol
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Got Phó?

Originally Posted by JAXFLTSX
Let's do it. I can lay out $50,000.00 now we need some one to front the rest 1.5million. lol
Let me run to the bank real fast...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by joerockt
LOL, in Bizzaro world maybe...

Four words: Shit out of luck
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just noticed that Acura of Escondido ebay store put this "ATTENTION! CompTech is likely ending production and closing its doors! All items are now sold as-is and neither CompTech nor we are offering any warranty." yesterday at the bottom of their auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CompT...mZ280042431754
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by hrj
I just noticed that Acura of Escondido ebay store put this "ATTENTION! CompTech is likely ending production and closing its doors! All items are now sold as-is and neither CompTech nor we are offering any warranty." yesterday at the bottom of their auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CompT...mZ280042431754
you know, I'm not too worried about this stuff, since:

1) Comptech has had pretty good quality products
2) I have only used their non-moving parts (Header, Intake, RSB). I've got all the stock items in the garage, and since I did my own installs, I can easily take them off if needed.

I'm afraid all of the S/C guys might have a little more to worry about though.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro

This news stinks.. anyone want to buy my s/c?.. hehe
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Pro

man.....i am still saving money for the Comptech header and you are telling me that they are closing..........sigh.....
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ i'm sure some vendors will have a header or two in stock, but you're gonna have to jump on them quick.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
you know, I'm not too worried about this stuff, since:

1) Comptech has had pretty good quality products
2) I have only used their non-moving parts (Header, Intake, RSB). I've got all the stock items in the garage, and since I did my own installs, I can easily take them off if needed.

I'm afraid all of the S/C guys might have a little more to worry about though.
I think the only parts to be worried about will be the ECU reflash which can probably be done by Hondata...and the ACM module...which shouldn't go bad during the life of the s/c setup anyway...

the s/c is made by Eaton and can be serviced and the belts are available online.....

I wonder how many S/C'd TSX's are out there...

I'll be the first inline to get the Nissan GT-R :devil:
Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34
lucky you
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Pro

I live minutes away from them and took a tour of the building when I had them put on my RSB. I'm major bummed out that they couldn't settle their internal problems and keep the doors open. The facility had a good feel to it and everyone I met seemed to be real happy to be able to work there. I agree with those who've said that Honda should step up to the plate and help save these guys. I was there when Honda delivered some new cars for them to spec/mod out on Honda's $$'s. They told me that Honda gives them cars all the time to play with, etc. I'm a bit puzzled that Honda would risk lossing such a good, respected after market value adder such as Comptech. It doesn't make good business sense.

Major downer...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got to take a tour too and there was a really good vibe at that place. I saw an 06 S2000, a Honda Ridgeline, and an 06 Civic Si that were all donor cars from Honda. I'm surprised that they haven't stepped up.

I actually have a lot of pics from my visits to Comptech. They were always cool about me taking pictures of everything except their top secret engine rooms. I'll have to post up a picture thread dedicated to them soon.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I think the only parts to be worried about will be the ECU reflash which can probably be done by Hondata...and the ACM module...which shouldn't go bad during the life of the s/c setup anyway...

the s/c is made by Eaton and can be serviced and the belts are available online.....

You can actually get the SC belts at some of the Autozones. It's just a standard Goodyear Gaborback belt.

Besides that, the only maintenance needed is to change the blower oil. This actually up to debate though because Jackson Racing who uses the same blower for their RSX SC kit says you don't need to change the blower oil for the life of the car. It might depend on how much PSI you run and since our kit is only a moderate 5 psi, we are probably fine. Even if we need the blower oil, I've already found a place to buy it online.

Edit, just heard from the RSX guys that the blower oil doesn't need changing unless you are running into problems with it and that you probably won't have to worry about it for many many years. Magnuson, (the builders) says to not touch.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

anyone know if they are still going to keep up the racing operations, and just shut down their aftermarket production?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i see comptech ss on ebay for $67 shipped...is that a good deal??
Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tsx536
You can actually get the SC belts at some of the Autozones. It's just a standard Goodyear Gaborback belt.

Besides that, the only maintenance needed is to change the blower oil. This actually up to debate though because Jackson Racing who uses the same blower for their RSX SC kit says you don't need to change the blower oil for the life of the car. It might depend on how much PSI you run and since our kit is only a moderate 5 psi, we are probably fine. Even if we need the blower oil, I've already found a place to buy it online.

Edit, just heard from the RSX guys that the blower oil doesn't need changing unless you are running into problems with it and that you probably won't have to worry about it for many many years. Magnuson, (the builders) says to not touch.
Is it an eaton blower anyway can you go back to whoever services eaton with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Pro

This is such sad news.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

you got $80,000 to dump on? I still think that car is little over priced. hey, not my money right?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
you got $80,000 to dump on? I still think that car is little over priced. hey, not my money right?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I got DIBS on your supercharger
Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx

Not when it can beat a Porsche 997. For the price of the new GT-R its priced right. Its going to be more so a limited run car and would definately blow the doors of the new M3 etc.

Anyhow, Comptech parts will probably be expensive due to lack of availability. We all know they have great products. Hope a company will buy their designs and perhaps pick up the work that they had planned.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Got Phó?

I'll buy the new GT-R if i had the money......or the LF-A, better yet if they coming out with a new NSX.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lito
I got DIBS on your supercharger
but it's not JDM YO!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Mugenpwp
Not when it can beat a Porsche 997. For the price of the new GT-R its priced right. Its going to be more so a limited run car and would definately blow the doors of the new M3 etc.

Anyhow, Comptech parts will probably be expensive due to lack of availability. We all know they have great products. Hope a company will buy their designs and perhaps pick up the work that they had planned.
I'm sorry but I don't compare car just by based on speed. Don't get me wrong, I love new GT-R but its a nissan for sake. I rather have the the prosche 997 over GT-R.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
mmmmmm....

okay guys, I was wrong!! new GT-R is $50k..
thanks hrj for correcting me.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:00 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Way off topic!

Yeah, but it's still an $80 thou Nissan!
Hardly the name to strike fear in the hearts of those who spend that sort of money.
It also loses the Skyline moniker, which is stupid IMO, as this was the name that made it the cult hero it has become.
That and a bonkers bulletproof engine.
At $50-60K, it'd be more realistically priced.

If Nissan are doing it purely as a halo car, like the NSX was for Honda in Europe, then fair play, but if they think they are gong to challenge Porsche/BMW M, they've seriously over estimated their appeal.
Will it become another R32-34 - a tuner's delight? Absolutely! And sadly that's where it's likely to find favour.
Will technology in it trickle down to other Nissans? Not really - they've had long enough since the R32 to do that for the 350Z, but haven't bothered for whatever reason.
So what's the point other than as a pure engineering exercise and pouring tens of millions, if not hundreds or even a billion down the drain?
They could've gone F1 racing for that much and probably had more to show for it!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Ahhhh!

To put this thread back on the right track......

Has anyone been able to get in touch with anyone at Comptech??????

I've been trying like crazy for the past few days because, warranty be damned, I still want a S/C. However, when I called Hondata to see if they'll still reflash my ECU for the S/C, they told me that I need to get authorization from Comptech before I can send it in .

So, essentially, if I can't get in touch with Comptech, it looks like I might not be able to get a S/C .......
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just called them today, ordered a few parts, they seem to be fine at the moment.
MichaelBenz from TL forum bought a few supercharger parts and he just received the parts promptly..
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
And....Comptech HBP and Rad Hose order arrived safely as expected today.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=154061&page=7
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I called Comptech in reference to the Hondata reflashes. Comptech has pre paid Hondata for about 10 reflashes, at least according to Comptech, to cover the kits they have out. So the reflash should not be a problem.

If anyone wants a supercharger kit now is the time to get one at $3500 shipped b/c another Comptech dealer is about to buy them from me.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, I talked to Nate today. It's too bad they are closing. They have almost no parts for the TSX left besides springs. It's just too bad they are closing. No one had an idea of the closure until they layed off they suddenly laided off their employees. All of the engineers, installers, and welders are gone. I will keep you guys posted if i hear anymore.

One of the former guys there, Shad, opened up his own shop in Gold River. My plan is to go there if I need servicing. I heard one of the really good install guys might be working there too.

The website is still under contruction, but contact info is there:
http://drivingambition.us/
Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Yeah, I talked to Nate today. It's too bad they are closing. They have almost no parts for the TSX left besides springs. It's just too bad they are closing. No one had an idea of the closure until they layed off they suddenly laided off their employees. All of the engineers, installers, and welders are gone. I will keep you guys posted if i hear anymore.

One of the former guys there, Shad, opened up his own shop in Gold River. My plan is to go there if I need servicing. I heard one of the really good install guys might be working there too.

The website is still under contruction, but contact info is there:
http://drivingambition.us/
Any idea what the cause of the closing was? Lack of market support, lack of any backing from Hondas and Acuras side?

I'm just glad I kept all my stock parts....
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Any idea what the cause of the closing was? Lack of market support, lack of any backing from Hondas and Acuras side?

I'm just glad I kept all my stock parts....
When I asked Nate, he said it all came very suddenly. I talked to him quite awhile, and I could tell that it was a surprise. They had actually no indication of this. All of a sudden, one day 40+ people got pink slips. He said that if the profits were high enough they obviously wouldn't be closing. Either they were somewhat in the red at one point and/or the primary investors were not happy enough with the amount of return they were getting on their investments. I don't think he even knows for sure. Could be a lot of different factors that lead to the decision to close shop.

One thing I did ask is if he thought the internet was making it harder for them to compete. He said, even though it's sad to say, the answer is probably yes. It's hard to compete nowadays and people can get some really good deals online. And for a company like Comptech who puts so much time, money, R&D, and effort into each part it can be hard for them to cover their costs sometimes. They were one of the few parts manufacturers that actually hand welded or fabricated pretty much every part that was made in house. I saw it first hand from the headers, to ACM electronic modules, all the way down to to battery tie downs. He also mentioned that it is was hard for them to compete since they only do Honda/Acura parts while other companies make parts for many different car manufacturers.

I asked him what happenned to all of the Comptech cars. I guess they returned all of them back to stock, and gave Honda back the cars that were donated to them. All of the other Comptech cars have already been sold off, with the exception of one last 91 NSX. That is being sold today to someone who is planning to make it into a fully build race car.

Comptech
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Pro

Major big time bummer!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Pro

Whats the next best thing part manufactuer for the TSX.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CJ Majesty
Whats the next best thing part manufactuer for the TSX.
no other company makes a ton of parts for the TSX, its mostly speciality companies, Progress makes sway bars, k&N/injen intakes, you need to mix and match
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Disinformation Terminator

What an enormous bummer. Just got off the phone with them. Only 1 strut bar ($275), and a few sets of springs left. A real tragedy in the Acura community IMO.

Tsx536, I'll probably be one of Shad's first customers.

Best,
-Mirror
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

I am so disappointed this happened I wanted an exhaust so bad
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ they are alive and well.

http://www.ct-engineering.com/