Choice of mods, what should I do next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choice of mods, what should I do next?

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll add on something to my TSX since I decided to keep it and not get another car, I just don't know which route to go.

NA Setup: $2250 Self Install except the UR Pulleys
UR Pulleys
Comptech Headers
Hi Flow Cat
Tanabe Touring Medallion
Hondata

FI Setup $4xxx with install
Comptech SC
(until next year when I get more funds stock everything else)

Or should I wait it out for a turbo kit hopefully sometime in spring of 07?

Though I think the fun in driving my car would be great with the NA setup. But for the daily grind of driving, I think the added torque would be very helpful for doing some passes in traffic without hitting 5k+RPM's all the time.

And though I'm hoping for a turbo solution, I don't see the likely hood of that happening anytime soon.

Either way, does anyone in Chicago know a reputable shop that can do the comptech SC or the UR pulleys? I know AMS is close by where I live, but they primarily do Mitsu's.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NA setup.

Consider that if you don't replace the exhaust (minimal performance gain, maximum rice factor) and go with the Topspeed header, you're down to around $1500 for the whole shebang.

$300 for pullies
call it $100 for install (overkill)
$300 for RT cat
$200 for Topspeed Header
$600 for Hondata

Not so bad, eh? I'm pursuing a similar line, and with the hopes of a K-Pro or equivalent in the future to make the serious $$ commitment later.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Hopefully by the end of the year I'll add on something to my TSX since I decided to keep it and not get another car, I just don't know which route to go.

UR Pulleys
Comptech Headers
Hi Flow Cat
Tanabe Touring Medallion
Hondata

FI Setup $4xxx with install
Comptech SC
(until next year when I get more funds stock everything else)

Or should I wait it out for a turbo kit hopefully sometime in spring of 07?

Though I think the fun in driving my car would be great with the NA setup. But for the daily grind of driving, I think the added torque would be very helpful for doing some passes in traffic without hitting 5k+RPM's all the time.

And though I'm hoping for a turbo solution, I don't see the likely hood of that happening anytime soon.

Either way, does anyone in Chicago know a reputable shop that can do the comptech SC or the UR pulleys? I know AMS is close by where I live, but they primarily do Mitsu's.
No matter what, the header is one of the less efficient pieces along with the cat. You'll get power without worrying about an exhaust. If you do the S/C, you'll get the reflash and take advantage of the header and cat. The stock exhaust is capable of doing well with the other possible point.

As you recall, I have the header and cat and you've driven it. Since then I got the Icebox and Hondata. It is just as different as the header/cat combo was on my car.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
although a s/c would be nice, i prefer a n/a setup because that's how our car was intended to be run ... lol it's also cheaper.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Common now better sounding exhuast has to give me a placebo effect of at least 10whp.

But in all honesty, I know that a header, cat, exhuast is all good for future mods so I might do them first and hold off on Hondata and UR Pulleys until I'm more set.

I'm really tempted to get the 5zigen proracer, I believe someone on the forum from Hawaii has them in. I want to hear some sound clips and pictures and maybe I'll bite on that one.

Did anyone here do comparison from the topspeed header (I believe that's the one SS header on ebay) and the comptech?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by moda_way
No matter what, the header is one of the less efficient pieces along with the cat. You'll get power without worrying about an exhaust. If you do the S/C, you'll get the reflash and take advantage of the header and cat. The stock exhaust is capable of doing well with the other possible point.

As you recall, I have the header and cat and you've driven it. Since then I got the Icebox and Hondata. It is just as different as the header/cat combo was on my car.
I'd imagine you had a blast on the backroads, piss off any bikers? I have to ride in your car again sometime... I'll be back in Cincinnati Labor day, maybe I can check it out if we can find some time and if you're in town.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd imagine you had a blast on the backroads, piss off any bikers? I have to ride in your car again sometime... I'll be back in Cincinnati Labor day, maybe I can check it out if we can find some time and if you're in town.

Hahaha... not sure who was more scared, those bikers or the bushes you were looking at. LOL

I'll definitely be in town, but we're in our new house, so let me know when your plans are solid and I'll give you new directions.

Having done the I/H/E, RT Cat, Hondata (Gasket and Reflash) and K&N mod to the Icebox, by in large, the Headers, RT Cat and Hondata top the list. I was resonatorless and the Icebox w/ K&N didn't have a significant change.

IMO, getting air in and more importantly out are paramount. Everything else will just make better use of that concept. Don't forget about slowing down this mini-buffalo too. Good pads are all you would need.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
VSA Rocks

UR Pulleys
Comptech Headers
Hi Flow Cat
Tanabe Touring Medallion
Hondata
Why not just replace the items in bold with the Hytech full exhaust + reflash setup? Although it will take much longer to get on their waiting list, I think it will definately be worth it.

Add the RSX-S 2-5 gears and flywheel/LSD combo and you'll have a totally different animal. Your N/A price will be closer to $4k now.