Chip Mender

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip Mender

Has anyone used the chip mender touch-up paint pen?

I just found 3 paint chips on my hood and they are annoying me to no end since I bought the car only a week and a half ago. I was looking around for touch-up paints and I found a NBP chip mender for sale at a website.

Would you guys recommend this stuff?
Link Here (You'll Have To Scroll Down A Bit)

Thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The Acura/Honda ones often sold on eBay are better. They are also available from the parts counter at your dealer if you are in Canada (although not the US).
Old 07-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

I ended up getting a "paint pen" from a website. I don't know what brand of paint it was, but it matches. I've used the old-style touch-up bottles in the past, and having the pen makes it a lot easier to work with. I have one larger spot that needs more work. One thing I liked about the website was that I could also get a couple of other things that hopefully will help... (clearcoat, for one thing, which I did get in a bottle, because I don't use any clear coat to patch a tiny nick, just a dot of the color paint.)

Are you saying that Honda/Acura has a pen? Why can't you get it from the parts counter in the US? For our previous Hondas, we got the touch-up bottles from the dealer.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vidgamer
Are you saying that Honda/Acura has a pen? Why can't you get it from the parts counter in the US? For our previous Hondas, we got the touch-up bottles from the dealer.
Yes they have a pen, but I don't know why it isn't available in the States. Looks like Canada comes out victorious here.

As I mentioned, though, it is often available on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ACURA-HONDA-OEM-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Just search for "Acura Paint Pen" and the pic shown in that auction above is the OEM one available in Canada. Just as an aside, for the PWP (premium white pearl), the one side if base white, and the other side is clear WITH pearl built in. Really works well and blends in very nicely with the OEM paint.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:33 AM
06 ASM/Ebony 5AT

I guess I'll have to be the odd person out here. I have both the touchup paint pen from Ebay and liquid paint from paintscratch.com and I MUCH prefer the paint in the bottle from paintscratch.com
I do my paint chips (thankfully I've only had one so far) with the multi-stage method of building up successive applications of paint, wet-sanding, polishing, etc. When I try to apply successive applications of paint with the paint pen it just pushes all the paint around that I have previously applied, even if it has dried for several days. Maybe I just don't get the technique but I think I'll be sticking with the touchup paint in the bottle for now. I apply it with a tiny artists brush and it looks great even before wetsanding and polishing.