Carsound Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:05 PM
2004 NBP/ebony AT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good info, mayeb have a new mod on the list!!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
Thanks Dan! Good enough for me. I'll take 2 sets of flanges.
Will you be blessing us with a before and after dyno?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
Will you be blessing us with a before and after dyno?
Do you expect anything less?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by JTso
Do you expect anything less?
Thanks man. I really appeciate all of the dynos you post.

I know they ain't free
Old 06-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

JTso, I owe you a beer the next time you make it out to Toronto.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Dan, I owe you a lunch the next time you come to Seattle. Thanks for making the flanges.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan, I'll take a set too. The high-flow cat is among my projects.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark me down for a set. I'm on the lookout for a straight through resonator.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Racer

To replace the cat with a testpipe or resonator is known to be very risky. I talked to a number of performance shops before i got my high-flow installed, and every one of them said there would be a good chance of the check engine light coming on due to the O2 sensor. The only way to possibly fix that is to get an O2 simulator. Even with an O2 simulator, they said it is still possible to get a CEL. I originally tried to get a resonator installed to replace the cat, and none of the shops reccomended it. Some even said it was possible that i could loose power??? (anyone comment on that?) But if anyone does end up going with a test pipe or resonator, i'd very much like to hear about it.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rmpage
Mark me down for a set. I'm on the lookout for a straight through resonator.
2 of the muffler shops i went to said they would just put an exhuast resonator in there so it shouldnt be hard to find.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by Triz08
To replace the cat with a testpipe or resonator is known to be very risky. I talked to a number of performance shops before i got my high-flow installed, and every one of them said there would be a good chance of the check engine light coming on due to the O2 sensor. The only way to possibly fix that is to get an O2 simulator. Even with an O2 simulator, they said it is still possible to get a CEL. I originally tried to get a resonator installed to replace the cat, and none of the shops reccomended it. Some even said it was possible that i could loose power??? (anyone comment on that?) But if anyone does end up going with a test pipe or resonator, i'd very much like to hear about it.
If you lose the cat you're guaranteed to get a CEL. I'm going to experiment with O2 sensor sims before I do anything (I'm an electronics guy, I already built one, just need to test it) but this is something I'd still like to try at some point.

Also, the power loss question is a myth populated my crappy "tuner" rags. The less backpressure on the engine the better. There can be a problem with using piping too large for displacement of the engine because the extra room allows for turbulence, but as long as you stick with 2.5" you'll be fine.

Virtualbong posted this a little while ago but it's a good article on exhaust sizing: http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=47
A common mistake sometimes talked about in "tuner" magazines is that you need some backpressure for the system to flow properly. This is a myth created by amateur testing methods. You can see the exhaust here is properly sized and will get the best performance out of any other sizes, bigger or smaller. So because it outperforms the bigger exhaust they just assume that backpressure was the key to success here. As you can see from this picture, they are wrong. The reason this exhaust performed the best was because the pules were perfectly in line and able to draw each other out of the exhaust at the highest velocity possible.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
yup.

I'm in for a set of flanges too. I don't want to risk anything with the stock cat and the Cusco type 2 bar.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Computer Nerd

I'm in for a set! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 AM
Matell

I'll be in for a set too!.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Polar Chicken

Oh hell, I am in as well.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Photography Nerd

Flanges for everyone!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
If you lose the cat you're guaranteed to get a CEL. I'm going to experiment with O2 sensor sims before I do anything (I'm an electronics guy, I already built one, just need to test it) but this is something I'd still like to try at some point.

Also, the power loss question is a myth populated my crappy "tuner" rags. The less backpressure on the engine the better. There can be a problem with using piping too large for displacement of the engine because the extra room allows for turbulence, but as long as you stick with 2.5" you'll be fine.

Virtualbong posted this a little while ago but it's a good article on exhaust sizing: http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=47

I like the article except for at the end where he is doggin changing out the muffler....I think he assumes that people will be changing the muffler without changing the piping. He does not call out that assumption.

I think it could have been written better, but the illustrations were great!

And removing the cat does usually free up power in the car, but can be a hindernce to performance. Depending on who you talk to and what they do, it could go either way.

Changing to a straight pipe might be best because the pipe diameter does not change and it is a straight through flow.

Simply hollowing out the cat (a-la WRX people), could be very bad because it simulates putting a larger pipe on (as you mentioned). All the turbulance in there could actually make you lose power over stock!

And just so we all know, it is against Federal Law to remove a working catalytic converter from a vehicle. Felony means that it does not matter what state you are in! Just because the different states and counties hold different standards of tests and inspections does not mean it is ok to remove your cat. it just means you are less likely to get caught!

Now, who all wants a bolt-in cat or test pipe? I will talk to my fab guy!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Computer Nerd

I would be up for a bolt on high flow cat. At the very least it would be great to have buy the section of extra piping with O2 bung, cat, and flanges that I could weld together.

I'd also be up for a test pipe depending on how much it costs.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

what the heck? dan is making flanges?

why am i not surprised.

check your pm in a couple minutes dan man.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Photography Nerd

It seems there are a couple of companies that make flanges for our car already. Magnaflow seems to have one that works.

Since I'd be doing this as a service for the community and I wouldn't be making a profit, I'd prefer to go with a pre-made solution. Of course, if it turns out there's nothing really available on the market, I'd be happy to make some for our consumption.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Racer

Maybe i'm missing something, but why does everyone want extra flanges??? If you order a test pipe/resonator/high-flow cat, wouldnt it be easier to just cut off the oem cat leaving the stock flanges on, and just weld on the cat or test pipe? Just trying to understand what extra flanges would help achieve. Only thing im thinking of is it you want to keep your stock cat to put it back on later.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Triz08
Only thing im thinking of is it you want to keep your stock cat to put it back on later.
We have a winner!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Drives With Hands

Yeah, OE cats tend to be exorbitantly expensive to replace, primarily because of the precious metals used in the catalyst. I wouldn't be surprised if this one cost around $800 or so. This and the stock suspension are the only OE parts I've held onto yet, due to the "just in case" factor. The Magnaflow on the other hand can be had for less than $100.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It seems there are a couple of companies that make flanges for our car already. Magnaflow seems to have one that works.

Since I'd be doing this as a service for the community and I wouldn't be making a profit, I'd prefer to go with a pre-made solution. Of course, if it turns out there's nothing really available on the market, I'd be happy to make some for our consumption.

Yeah, but the flange on the front is a special one I think....

We have some prices...

All stainless tig welded units....2.5".....free shipping on both. Custom CNC stainless 1/2" flanges. I figure, if we are going to do this, we should make really nice ones, right ?

$175 for an ODB2 compliant (exempt in CA) high flow cat pipe.
$110 for a cat pipe with CEL fix included.

What do we all think? I am planning to break ground next week.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Sure, put me down for the high-flow cat.

Edit: see my note about the dyno in my reply below. I'm 99% sure that I want to do this but if it gets dynoed and there's zero gain, I'd probably pass.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

So you have a California CARB Exempt # for the cat?
What brand is it?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Yeah, OE cats tend to be exorbitantly expensive to replace, primarily because of the precious metals used in the catalyst. I wouldn't be surprised if this one cost around $800 or so. This and the stock suspension are the only OE parts I've held onto yet, due to the "just in case" factor. The Magnaflow on the other hand can be had for less than $100.
ding ding ding.

the acura dealer told me roughly 1kUSD for a new cat. meow!

rmpage and triz, i hate you both b/c you make me want to get the high flo cat so badly

:troutslap
Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

did i miss something? i read the posts in this thread but didn't see anything about magnaflo selling just flanges - esp ones that fit the tsx.

call me noob, but just point me in the right direction.

:troutslap <- dzuy
Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

We have some prices...

All stainless tig welded units....2.5".....free shipping on both. Custom CNC stainless 1/2" flanges. I figure, if we are going to do this, we should make really nice ones, right ?

you developed a high flow cat already?!?!

dang, that's quick.

do you have a prototype with pics? or do you have one on your car with some dyno runs?

i'm already interested,
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by dzuy
you developed a high flow cat already?!?!

dang, that's quick.

do you have a prototype with pics? or do you have one on your car with some dyno runs?

i'm already interested,
It's just a magnaflow cat like rmpage is using. He's getting the flanges maded and welded up.

You do raise a good point about the dyno though. I'd like to see some numbers before I 100% commit to it. Rmpage's review was pretty good so even if there's 5hp from the mod, I'd do it for sure.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

on the dyno. I'd also like to know how much louder it will make the exhuast.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

It's just a magnaflow cat like rmpage is using. He's getting the flanges maded and welded up.

You do raise a good point about the dyno though. I'd like to see some numbers before I 100% commit to it. Rmpage's review was pretty good so even if there's 5hp from the mod, I'd do it for sure.

we'll see then. i'm calling it a night.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:05 AM
yup.

So $175 gets me a drop-in replacement, no fabbing of flanges needed? Count me in!

It'll increase the clearance to the Cusco Type 2 bar too, right?

We have some prices...

Old 06-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Drives With Hands

Is this a test pipe/resonator with an O2 sensor sim?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Matell

Originally Posted by kangjin
So $175 gets me a drop-in replacement, no fabbing of flanges needed? Count me in!

It'll increase the clearance to the Cusco Type 2 bar too, right?
Provided the cat is placed as close to the front flange as possible it should clear the Type II for sure!.

I'm in!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, I wanna dyno as well...but I am not sure what difference it will make on my stock car...I will try it, but just in case I don't show any gasins, who in the OC area has a TSX with a few mods who is interested in seeing if it will help? Looking for intake/heaer/exhaust, maybe a reflash was well.....Someone who has a dyno already preferrably.....PM ME!!!!! Don't clog this thread up. Serious people only.

And no it does not specifically mean you will get one for free! So don't ask!

There will be enough room engineered for the Cusco Type II bar, although this bar fits plenty well with the stock cat....so it should be pretty easy.....

These are not carb legal in CA. It is currently not legal to replace the cat on any OBD2 cat in CA! That does not mean I would not run one anyway though

We are MAKING our own flanges out of stainless steel material. The cat's are Magnaflow cats, same as the one used by the user in this thread...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Photography Nerd

who in the OC area has a TSX with a few mods who is interested in seeing if it will help? Looking for intake/heaer/exhaust, maybe a reflash was well.....Someone who has a dyno already preferrably.....PM ME!!!!! Don't clog this thread up. Serious people only..
Paging Mr. JTso....

Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Photography Nerd

We are MAKING our own flanges out of stainless steel material. The cat's are Magnaflow cats, same as the one used by the user in this thread...
One question about that: are the cats stainless as well? Welding carbon steel to stainless isn't fun...
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Paging Mr. JTso....

But I'm in the Seattle area... I think MrHeeltoe is looking for someone local.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

One question about that: are the cats stainless as well? Welding carbon steel to stainless isn't fun...

Yes, FULL stainless, all hand-tig welded....

Quick Reply: Carsound Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter installed