Brake pad installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Prince de l'espace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad installation

Hi,

How difficult is it to install new brake pads (front and back, stock calipers and rotors) on the TSX? I've never done it on any type of cars before, but I'm quite handy

Is there a service manual/installation guide I could take a look at on the internet?

I'm thinking about installing the Satisfied Pro Ceramic Pads from Tirerack. Anybody have any comments/experience with those?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well .. since i don thave a tsx yet, i can give you general stuff. There will probaly 2 bolts holding the caliper in place .. just remove one of the bolt .. should be either at 14mm, 17mm bolt .. if those arent it .. probly 12mm but i highly doubt it. you should then be able ot move the caliper .. more like swinging it up or down, take out the pads, you will need a tool that can depress hte piston. Depends on how the piston is, if you look at the piston and it has like a x or + on the face, get something flat and big that can fit into and just spin it like your screwing it in. If it's a hallow piston, you will need to get a disc brake piston kit , put the small circle end towards the piston, put the plate against the caliper, and turn the nob. what i recomend is use the old break pad and put it against the piston and hten place that little small circle piece from the tool on the break pad. once done pushing in the piston. put the new break shim ( i htink that's what called and i hear it's better to reuse the stock one) onto the brake pad and adjust to fit. place the brade into space, and reassemble. Pump the brake pedal atleast 3 times so that the brake caliper piston is set. If you don tdo this and drive off .. the first couple of time you press the brake .. your car wont stop! Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Prince de l'espace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
Well .. since i don thave a tsx yet, i can give you general stuff. There will probaly 2 bolts holding the caliper in place .. just remove one of the bolt .. should be either at 14mm, 17mm bolt .. if those arent it .. probly 12mm but i highly doubt it. you should then be able ot move the caliper .. more like swinging it up or down, take out the pads, you will need a tool that can depress hte piston. Depends on how the piston is, if you look at the piston and it has like a x or + on the face, get something flat and big that can fit into and just spin it like your screwing it in. If it's a hallow piston, you will need to get a disc brake piston kit , put the small circle end towards the piston, put the plate against the caliper, and turn the nob. what i recomend is use the old break pad and put it against the piston and hten place that little small circle piece from the tool on the break pad. once done pushing in the piston. put the new break shim ( i htink that's what called and i hear it's better to reuse the stock one) onto the brake pad and adjust to fit. place the brade into space, and reassemble. Pump the brake pedal atleast 3 times so that the brake caliper piston is set. If you don tdo this and drive off .. the first couple of time you press the brake .. your car wont stop! Enjoy!
Ok, thanks a lot!