BBK in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BBK in the winter?

Does anyone have experience running a BBK in the winter months? I live in Connecticut and my TSX is my daily driver year-round. I'm considering a Rotora 1-pc BBK (Rotora's the only brand I can go with because I have to run the OEM wheels for winter, and the kit supposedly fits fine).

- Are there potential warping issues of the larger rotors due to cold temperatures?

- Would the fact that a BBK takes more time to heat up to operating temperature render it flat-out unsafe to drive during the cold?

I'm attempting to make an educated decision/purchase, and any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I think what you need to be worried about is the design of the calipers themselves. I've seen some corrosion in Rotora's calipers. There are support plates/brackets on the sides of the brake pads. Their design has a small gap in the back of this plate, therefore allowing some build-up from debris such as road salt. This build-up eventually pushes the plates toward the middle leaving no room for the brake pads to move, which causes stuck pads. Not good!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard of a few of my friend's Rotora rotors warpped after a while on their BBKs (Not just Honda/Acura fitments here).......so they ended up taking it off and selling it and replaced it with Stop Techs and other brands.......

And just to specify, some of them live in cold and/or raining weathers like Oregon and Washington and some in California and Texas of warmer climates.....

Hope the info helps....
Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda 4 life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wudup pimp,

i'm no brake expert, but with my setup, i have not experience any corrosion on the caliper itself. the black paint on the center of the rotor eroded off and also get water rust (rain, wash) on the rotor after having it on for more than 2 yrs. that is why i'm going with the 2-piece rotor next summer.

i have not have any warping on the rotor with more than 61xxx miles and 2 winters. i know maryland winter is not as bad as CT.

BUT what vwong said about the small gap in the back of this plate, i may have to look into that and let u know. i have checked and wipe down the calipers each time i change my wheels or when i rotate the tires...

i hope this helps
Old 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortyeuroR
wudup pimp,

i'm no brake expert, but with my setup, i have not experience any corrosion on the caliper itself. the black paint on the center of the rotor eroded off and also get water rust (rain, wash) on the rotor after having it on for more than 2 yrs. that is why i'm going with the 2-piece rotor next summer.

i have not have any warping on the rotor with more than 61xxx miles and 2 winters. i know maryland winter is not as bad as CT.

BUT what vwong said about the small gap in the back of this plate, i may have to look into that and let u know. i have checked and wipe down the calipers each time i change my wheels or when i rotate the tires...

i hope this helps
That does help, it's good to know your Rotora BBK is holding up pretty well after two years of use...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I have been selling ROTORA BBK's for about 4 years now and I have had one BBK customer warp a disc and it was the 1 pc disc. It's pretty hard to warp these discs and I am yet to have any corrosion issues at all with any calipers.

Both companies are great and I don't think STOPTECH is any better than ROTORA. They just have different brake bias.