Anyone With Hondata Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone With Hondata Please Read

Just got my car reflashed, everything installed, etc. Brought my car home, drove it on the highway and absolutly no difference. Drove it on some streets, absolutly nothing. Read the Hondata website and it says it takes several power runs to settle in. Needless to say the car has been given the 3-4 power runs and there is nothing. The only other engine mod that i have in an AEM short ram intake. What should I be looking for? Everything i have read onthis forum and on Hondata said the gains should be noticeable. Could Hondata have messed up?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it go to 7600rpm?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when does the vtec kick in?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by drkabe
when does the vtec kick in?
Exactly what I was thinking...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you take it to a dyno?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Drifting

I literally just got the car back today at 3:30-i was thinking dyno it and see-there def is no difference at all. Me and my boyfriend just took it out for another run, which would make 3 times it was on the highway-went and got food, no difference on the way back, the V-TEC kicked in at 5 but def not noticeable and not what i thought. after everything i have read about how much hondata reflash kicked ass, i have to say mine def is not kicking ass. I am very dissapointed. All i can hope for is that it takes a couple of power runs to settle in like hondata said, and get it dynoed. I already emailed hondata to see what they say and hopefully everything will work out
Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Did you try disconnecting the battery then reconnecting after a little while. It might just need some time to reset.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 PM
TSX User

Not good news....just scratched the reflash off my X-mas wish list.

For $600, you shouldn't HAVE to dyno the car to tell if you got your money's worth.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
Did you try disconnecting the battery then reconnecting after a little while. It might just need some time to reset.
No need to do that. What do you think the ECU was doing while in transit?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Maybe your butt dyno is fucked...
Old 08-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Top notch 6MT

If VTEC kicks in at 5k rpm and it revs all the way to 7600rpm then the reflash is there...

were you blasting ur AC and not running WOT?

I still believe in Hondata reflash and continue to wait patiently for it to work on '05...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Drifting

I contacted Hondata and hopefully they can remove the reflash and give me my money back-for close to $700 spent on reflash and freight I shouldn't be questioning anything.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Not good news....just scratched the reflash off my X-mas wish list.

For $600, you shouldn't HAVE to dyno the car to tell if you got your money's worth.
lol...One person out of all the people here that got the reflash has a problem and you go screaming chicken little
Old 08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Hopefully, Hondata made a mistake and ill get everything that everyone has been talking about. Unfortunatly I have been priveledged to drive several cars, including an RSX, M3, 330ci, Audi 1.8T and M5 that have had upgraded ECUs and im very dissapointed with the performance from Hondata. All these cars had a noticable jump in hp and torque. And dont flame for comparing the M5 with a TSX-2 totally different cars but at least the M5 had a jump and was about the same price. The RSX, 330 and 1.8T are all cars that are similar to the TSX. Maybe after being able to drive cars like M3 and M5 that have been worked, I will never be happy with the gains from similar products for the TSX. I have noticed barely anything from Hondata and for close to $700, i would have hoped for something more. All I can hope is that Hondata gets back to me on Monday and we can get to the bottom of this. It is possible that something or someone screwed up or my car needs more than the recommended 3-4 power runs the website states. Maybe my expectations were too high, but i don't think so after reading all the stellar posts about the reflash
Old 08-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
I contacted Hondata and hopefully they can remove the reflash and give me my money back-for close to $700 spent on reflash and freight I shouldn't be questioning anything.
You do realize the reflash doesn't increase peak hp, right? It makes better usable hp and tq. Is it possible the improvement is there but your expectation is too high? A dyno will verify the hp and tq curves. What if Hondata removes the reflash and you feel a loss of power (back to stock)? What are you going to do then? I would ask someone else to test drive the car if you don't want to take it to the dyno. Perfer someone who has experienced what a stock TSX feels like.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Perhaps you are forgetting that the Hondata is not adding any horsepower to the final tally. The Hondata is, however, altering the torque and powerband to allow for more power down low. This is where you will see most of your gains. Perhaps your expectations were being directed at the wrong portion of the powerband so when you were looking for power up top, you really should have been looking for the better power down low.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Drifting

"25 degrees of cam movement is fine for a stock TSX engine but completely inadequate for modified engine with as little as race headers and intake. A stock engine needs no more than 20 degrees of cam moment on the high cam. A well modified setup needs no less than 25 degrees on the high cam. Take a good look at the modifications we made to the VTC mechanism. If you have a TSX you are going to need these changes. Although you could probably purchase and bolt on an RSX VTC mechanism for 50 degrees travel, there is less valve to piston clearance on the TSX pistons. Our measurements suggest 45 degrees maximum cam movement is much safer. Allowing the full 50 degrees movement leads to a greater risk of valve to piston contact should you accidentally mis-shift and over-rev"-is this something i should have corrected?

The only time i noticed absolutely any power was in 3rd gear at 6000. Both my boyfriend and I noticed there was nothing. Confused, we went to the hondata website and read up on the reviews and dynos for the ecu. Im ready to get my dad in it and have him drive it and see if he notices anything
Old 08-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion is to have someone that knows what a Handatafied TSX feels like test drive it. You need a TSX pro, not a M5, M3, IS or an A4 person. Get someone familiar with the TSX Hondata involved. I think your reflash is there, but its not up to your expectations. Do you have a CAI and a Header? Thats what you need to get the total boost out of it.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Im trying to find someone in New Jersey that has a hondatafied TSX and we can compare. Its def. reflashed because the V-Tec kicks in at 5 and all that but totally not worth the money as of right now. I'll be on the phone with Hondata on Monday and see if we can resolve everything
Old 08-27-2005, 01:03 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by CJams
My suggestion is to have someone that knows what a Handatafied TSX feels like test drive it. You need a TSX pro, not a M5, M3, IS or an A4 person. Get someone familiar with the TSX Hondata involved. I think your reflash is there, but its not up to your expectations. Do you have a CAI and a Header? Thats what you need to get the total boost out of it.
it says in her sig. she does not have header and she said she has AEM SRI
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM
tsxy

When I went in Nighthawks hondatafied TSX I could totally feel a difference, I mean he also had Injen CAI (dont know if he had header) but anyways, those two definitely made a difference. I could totally feel a difference from my car (which has no CAI or hondata in it) to his car. So if you really aren't feeling a difference maybe something is wrong
Old 08-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro

I definitely noticed a difference in power in the mid-range with the reflash.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Guinea Pig

Should have gotten the typhoon and a header first then
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

You might also try a side by side run with someone who doesn't have the hondata reflash. That's the easiest way to see if there were any performance gains.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

this is a first.

there are several misconceptions here in the thread tho.

you dont have to disconnect the battery, even tho as jtso cleverly pointed out - you already do that when you ship the ecu hehe

anyone who questions hondata's difference - i say you're crazy.

the difference was night and day.

1. vtec engages at 5k
2. redlines at 7600
3. there is a shitload, and i mean shitload of more power.

if some of you are in doubt, come down to florida and i will personally give you a ride in my hondata'd tsx.

i guarantee you that you will want hondata right away.

i'm willintg to bet my troutslap smiley on it.

:troutslap

btw, fyi
my engine mods when i first got the reflash is the following

comptech i/h/e

^^ that's all.

even the high flow cat i just installed didn't even come close to make a difference in power compared to that of hondata.

hondata =
Old 08-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Drifting

anyone who questions hondata's difference - i say you're crazy.

the difference was night and day.

1. vtec engages at 5k
2. redlines at 7600
3. there is a shitload, and i mean shitload of more power.

if some of you are in doubt, come down to florida and i will personally give you a ride in my hondata'd tsx.

i guarantee you that you will want hondata right away.

This is exactly what im talking about-I don't have this in my reflash; either Hondata screwed up somehow or it was the biggest waste of money on my car ever-im hoping that it was a screw up esp. after everything everyone has said about the hondata. When i called my install place about it, they said it would be handled on Monday. I will now be taking the car onto the highway for the 6th time since I got it done and hopefully ill finally get the omg holy shit power everyone is talking about
Old 08-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech

First of all, Manual or Auto?

The short ram has got to go, there is not much power to be gained from the shortty, and get yourself a header too.

I think you're the only one EVER to say somthing bad about the Hondata TSX reflash, so its either you, or something went wrong during the reflash. Send the ECU back to Hondata to re-reflash it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Drifting

its a MT-i love that particular intake-could really care less what anyone thinks about it and headers are a no-car is being sold in less than 6 months. Maybe im just being spoiled and expected a little more from Hondata for the TSX. Audi, BMW and the RSX seem to get a lot more for the money. As of right now, if it turns out to be just not what im expecting, its getting restored to factory settings and im getting my money back. For $700, I expected to be blown away and I haven't been.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

its a MT-i love that particular intake-could really care less what anyone thinks about it and headers are a no-car is being sold in less than 6 months. Maybe im just being spoiled and expected a little more from Hondata for the TSX. Audi, BMW and the RSX seem to get a lot more for the money. As of right now, if it turns out to be just not what im expecting, its getting restored to factory settings and im getting my money back. For $700, I expected to be blown away and I haven't been.
If the reflash is there and all the settings are the same as everyone elses, I don't think Hondata is obligated to refund any money or perform any additional service to restore it back to stock for free just because it didn't provide the kind of power to your expectation. What were you thinking anyway getting the ECU modified and end up selling the car in a few months? Yes, you sure sound like a spoiled child.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:49 PM
tsxy

youre selling the car in 6 months? Why??
Why would you even bother getting hondata then anyway?

I plan on getting hondata on my car, when the 05 shit gets figured out and I wouldnt buy it without first having a CAI (NOT SRI) and header.

I like your car and you seem to care about it and put time into it so
Im still confused as to why you would even spend that money to get hondata if you are selling the car.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Faster, please.

The difference between no reflash and reflash is noticeable, but it's not a slam you back into your seat feeling like a turbo or some other major internal upgrade would give. If that 's what you were expecting you were misguided. After all it's only a "19 hp" gain, not 100 hp. The biggest advantage to the reflash (and the real idea behind it) is that the engine behaves differently, and better in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Drifting

I really don't think that i was misguided in what would happen with the reflash. Go through the posts and reviews on the Hondata forum and see what people say-the general feeling is that it kicks ass, etc, noticable power increase, etc., I don't have any noticeable anything in my car other than a V-TEC and rev limiter. My concern lies with the fact i have no noticeable gains and the possibility something got screwed up. I just want to have fun for a couple of months while the car is available and move onto something else.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

I posted a while back that I also had problems with the Hondata Reflash. I had dynoed both before and after and power dropped off at 5000. They now have my my ECU and sent me another one to use while they are trying to find out what is wrong. I have a 04 automatic. I went thur Pure Tunning in Toledo Ohio a certified Hondata dealer. Athough it has been a real pain I have to say it seems everybody is trying. But I sure wish I would get my ECU back with the Reflash done right. I will keep all posted.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Instructor

First of all.. the reflash is a do it yourself project.. you really don't need any help on this install. I don't like other people messing with my car anyway... the 3rd party is usually the source of many problems.

Second.. You don't need to go 100 mph to feel the reflash... you should be able to tell the minute you pull out of your driveway that your car is running different. I noticed immediately and I'm quite sure 99% of the people who have the mod noticed it immediately.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Exactly-i should be able to feel it not punching it at 100 mph. I can't feel it and that is where the problem lies. I never touch anything with my car ever ever ever-i prefer to leave it with the experts. Luckily, my guy has dealt with cars that have been reflashed before and knows what to expect, etc. Hes just as upset as me that the car is performing the way he has felt reflashed cars before. Monday will be the ultimate judgement day-he will drive the car, see if it feels like what he knows and we both will get on the phone with hondata and get to the bottom of it.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you seen LannyM's video where he raced his bone stock 6MT TSX, versus a TSX with Hondata and CAI intake? That video really shows what Hondata can do.

IMO, I think you were expecting too much. Reading all of the reviews might have gotten you overly hyped. That along with the fact that you're use to driving and riding in faster cars. The Hondata reflash is not a supercharger or turbo, it just gives you more hp/torque in certain RPM ranges.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Got I never thought in a million years that it would even be anywhere close to a supercharger or turbo. Im just dissapointed that there are no noticable gains in the car. My b/f spent about the same amount on a ECU upgrade for his M3, fully customizied to what he wanted, and you can feel the difference. Again don't flame me for comparing the TSX with the M3, im just comparing ECUs.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Guinea Pig

Trade your ECU to someone with stock 04 ECU and $400. At least you can get part of your money back.

BTW-Does your bf M3 have a header?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Drifting

nope no header he does have exhaust though. All i can hope for is that something got messed up. No one can feel a discernable difference between pre and post reflash. I know that the car got reflashed because of the red line and v-tec change but other than that, I have nothing unless im stomping on it, taking it to 7600 every time
Old 08-28-2005, 02:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

What you feel with a butt dyno is so subjective. Maybe you were expecting too much? Hondata doesnt give any guarantee's on how it gonna "feel" to you. Take it and get it dyno'd. If the dyno shows the increases as advertised then you were just expecting too much. If the dynos show no changes then perhaps there was some sort of problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone With Hondata Please Read