about to mod my car, questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to mod my car, questions..

ok so ive been told to get a tanabe exhaust, which im gonna look into. anyone know where to purchase one?

i am thinking about getting an injen cold air intake, but i read in their description that it helps mid-range power. i know from driving that what i need is low-range power; is there an intake that will help low-range or no? or wait, am i just totally wrong with the low-range thing?

i am going to get my windows tinted, but does anyone know the laws with tinting windows in california?

ok now for that retarded question... when i go and do these mods, i have to find a good place that will install for me.. anyone know of a good place thats around the calabasas/malibu area? and do i buy the mods before i go to the place, or do i get them to purchase the mods for me and install?

thanks again everyone. sry, so many questions.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:11 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dingobiatch

i am going to get my windows tinted, but does anyone know the laws with tinting windows in california?
Yes. It's illegal. Any tint on the F doors is considered illegal and you can get a ticket. NOW you will see many posters telling you how they have only x% and they never get hassled... but the bottom line is if you have tint you're exposed in a whole nother way in CA...

Originally Posted by dingobiatch

ok now for that retarded question... when i go and do these mods, i have to find a good place that will install for me.. anyone know of a good place thats around the calabasas/malibu area? and do i buy the mods before i go to the place, or do i get them to purchase the mods for me and install?
You often get better service if you buy them from the place that's installing them. Costs you more though... but often worth it.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
-I'll let others chime in with where to buy the exhaust.

-The intake does cause a little loss of power under 2500 rpm but it's much stronger than stock after 3000. There really isn't much difference between the intakes currently on the market so the performance is going to be similar.

-sorry no idea about tint laws in california but 1/4 of our members are from cali so I'm sure you'll get your answer

- Just buy the mods you want and find a good shop to do the install for you. If a shop caries the parts you want, they might give you a package price including the install.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
dingo, you'll be able to better control the range of RPMs where you make your gains with a header, because an intake won't give you much options.

When fabricating a header (you need 4-2-1 design BTW for low-to-mid range gains), factors like piping lengths, width, and also the length between the Y's will influence a lot at what RPM the header will be the most efficient.

It's a pretty crazy science. I'm sure if you googled, you'd find a wealth of valuable info.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and what header is stock in the tsx?
are you saying i should think about changing the header?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The stock header is a 4-1 design. A 4-2-1 header has been shown to offer some gains but really nothing earth shattering. Every bit helps though.