Xm To Sirius For Honda And Acura - Brain Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Xm To Sirius For Honda And Acura - Brain Change

Like an old friend said, if you don't know.. then now you know! And it's about time! Dec '07 can't come soon enough!!

You need 2 pieces of hardware is seems. The SCC1 (http://www.directedsirius.com/Produc...ProductID=3005) and this (http://www.directedsirius.com/Produc...ProductID=4151) which will integrate in to all of the factory controls of your Honda or Acura.

It would be really sweet if there was an adapter for the Acura factory XM antenna to the Sirius antenna. When I used the 1 wire lead from my old sirius aftermarket system, it worked with an XM or Sirius antenna, as long as it was a 1 wire lead. If there isn't, then you may have to take off the antenna and switch it out. Unfortunately that isn't very easy and the entire cap on the roof is the antenna, so it won't be a pretty swap out. I guess you could always put the antenna somewhere else.

I have the shop manual for the 2004-2005 Acura TSX's if someone wants me to post the pages for the XM brain and Antenna.

Here are some other relevant articles.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/21793806/

http://www.dogstarradios.com/dsr-pos-2.html

There is a dealer down the road from me, the day it is released I will have it installed and report back. OR maybe someone will dig up that info before I find out.

Yay!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
XM and Sirius Satellite Radio are planning a Merger so I personally wouldn't do this MOD.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

They are planning a merger like Dish Network and DirecTV planned a merger. It was eventually killed, which I would give the Sirius and XM merger a 5% change of merging.

IF, XM and Sirius do merge, you WILL NOT GET Sirius in your car. Read up on it. You will still have to change your brain. The only way you will get some Sirius stations is if they change the channels over to their XM satellites in orbit.

Anyways, this isn't a hard mod. It uses an after market Sirius Universal unit and integrates with another box for a DIRECT connect to Acura and Honda stereos. ALL done from the TRUNK of your car. Easy. You get to use your touch screen if your have NAV and all the regular factory controls.

The one thing that could make it easier is to have an adapter to use your OEM XM Antenna. I'm sure one is out there somewhere.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 AM
CGP Ebony

^^

Acutually, on November 13 2007, Sirius Stockholders approved the acquisition of the XM for the merger.

The merger is anticipated to be completed after early 2008. So pending approvals from the FCC and the Department of Justice, they are getting closer and closer to completing the merger.

Where did you read that the merger has been canceled? LOL As much I like to read other articles, my Business School courses requires me to read the Wall Street Journal and I had to write a report on Pure Monopoly Markets regarding to the XM and Sirius Satellite Radio Merger.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 AM
CGP Ebony

^^

Acutually, on November 13 2007, Sirius Stockholders approved the acquisition of XM stocks for the merger.

The merger is anticipated to be completed after early 2008. So pending approvals from the FCC and the Department of Justice, they are getting closer and closer to completing the merger.

Where did you read that the merger has 5% chance probability? LOL As much I like to read other articles, my Business School courses requires me to read the Wall Street Journal and I had to write a report on Pure Monopoly Markets regarding to the XM and Sirius Satellite Radio Merger.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly! I'm a Sirius shareholder and they've really been keeping us in the loop as far as what's going on. They pretty much say that as soon as the FCC approves the merger, it won't be long after that for the merger to actually happen. They're all ready for it on the Sirius side. I forsee early Spring 08 or sooner.
I personally wouldn't spend the money to make the change. Trust me. I really like Sirius better than XM and it's killing me to have to wait, but it won't be long now! I need my Howard!!
Be patient, my friend! and don't waste your money.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Intermediate

LOL. Your business class should have also taught you that Dishnetwork tried to acquire DirecTV and got just as far as XM and Sirius are now... then got shot down by the Gov't. The merger is irrelevant to the problem at hand anyways. The problem at hand is getting Sirius to work like the stock XM system.

You will need to do some type of mod to get Sirius in an Acura or Honda.

Will their hardware work together?
Radio devices from Sirius and XM currently on the market do not receive signals from each other's services, so a combined company would have to develop a new radio, and consumers would have to upgrade. At first glance, it doesn't seem that existing hardware can be modified to receive a new signal.

XM radio spokesman Nathaniel Brown said it's too early in the process to provide engineering details, but "XM will fully support its current subscribers, who will not need to purchase new radios and will continue to receive the XM signal. We will work toward a radio that receives both signals."

Sirius CEO Karmazin said in a conference call on Tuesday that the combined company would "be able to speed the introduction of radios offering content from both our services today, something that has been commercially challenging as separate companies. Our radios will be smaller, lighter, simpler, and cooler than what each company has today."

In a joint statement announcing the deal on Monday, the companies said that the merger would allow them to develop and introduce "a wider range of lower-cost, easy-to-use and multifunctional devices through efficiencies in chipset and radio design and procurement." The companies also plan to work together on improving the scope and quality of the combined service. "Over time, we will work to combine our satellite and terrestrial transmission infrastructure to deliver the broadest range of content and the highest level of service quality," Karmazin said.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

I think the OP has a point. Even if the companies merge, there is only a limited amount of bandwidth available on each satellite, and I don't think they would be able to squeeze ALL Sirius programming and XM programming on one without having terrible quality (not that the quality is that good right now anyway...personally I think it sorta sucks on both, and I've had both).

The most they could do is consolidate, but who knows what they'll end up doing. For all we know, the companies COULD merge in a business sense, but the programming could change very little ... meaning each of the two satellites would, in fact, have different stuff on it.

No matter how you slice it, there are TWO satellites providing different services, and there is NO way they could change this short of handing every subscriber a new receiver that's compatible with some new, merged programming.

I think we'll have separate programming for a LONG time to come, and the OP's mod is kinda cool. If I were in my car enough and wanted Sirius badly enough, it's definitely a cool mod.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
East Coast Crew

The government isn't suppose to interfere with business....I think that was in the Constitution.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i hope the merger goes though, that means that Howard Sterns audience will expand even more! That's a big middle finger to old fashioned radio!!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by visuelz
The government isn't suppose to interfere with business....I think that was in the Constitution.
Read up on monopolies and how the government tries to prevent them. Allowing some companies to merge would create a monopoly (i.e. no competition for satellite radio). That's why DirecTV and Dish were not allowed to merge: it was deemed anti-competitive.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM
for EVER more!

visuelz - Wikipedia: Sherman Anti Trust Act
Old 11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Sirius and XM have a strong case because there are many other forms of competition out there. HD radio, Ipod, FM/AM...so its not a clear monopoly...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Sirius and XM have a strong case because there are many other forms of competition out there. HD radio, Ipod, FM/AM...so its not a clear monopoly...
That's the same reasoning DishNetwork and DirecTV tried telling the government. Their biggest competitor is CABLE!!! There are DVD players, VCR's, and many video codecs so you can watch clips on your phones, laptops, etc. Their merger was still blocked. I think there is a slim chance that Sirius will finish it's acquisition of XM. Who knows though... they let Microsoft continue their monopoly, I guess the right people in Gov't just need to be paid off.

Anyways, this post was about the mod, not the pending merger.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 PM
East Coast Crew

Hmm....but the thing is. Say XM was born first and since it was born first, there are no competition. What then?