Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it?

This morning I went to Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim to get a B1 service done on my 06 TSX with 6580 miles on it.
The B1 service includes engine oil and filter change...roate tires and inspect brakes and bunch of other stuff.

I was standing right behind my car as the mechanic work on my car. All he did was rotate my tires and maybe peeked at my brakes with the corner of his eyes...then he changed my oil. After that he took my car for a test drive (standard procedure he said...) for about 3 minutes and that's it.

I paid about $60 this morning for that guy to change oil, rotate tires, and "inspect"...pretty much nothing.

Last time I got an oil change was about $20 with my own oil brought in....Today i just paid $40 extra for him to "look" at nothing.

was it worth my extra $40?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Racer

Well... it is good to have someone to inspect your vehicle just in case..... if $40$ extra can buy yourself a peace of mind.. why not?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff The Pianist
This morning I went to Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim to get a B1 service done on my 06 TSX with 6580 miles on it.
The B1 service includes engine oil and filter change...roate tires and inspect brakes and bunch of other stuff.

I was standing right behind my car as the mechanic work on my car. All he did was rotate my tires and maybe peeked at my brakes with the corner of his eyes...then he changed my oil. After that he took my car for a test drive (standard procedure he said...) for about 3 minutes and that's it.

I paid about $60 this morning for that guy to change oil, rotate tires, and "inspect"...pretty much nothing.

Last time I got an oil change was about $20 with my own oil brought in....Today i just paid $40 extra for him to "look" at nothing.

Definitely not worth it. The ONLY service you should do is the 100K service - all the others are complete crap. My father was a mechanic for 20 years before he past away... All you need to do is rotate tires, change oil, flush tranny, flush coolant - nothing else. I will never take my car in and do those "marketing ploy" services.

Also, those things they "check for" can be easily performed by yourself....

Trust me - save your money. Also, TSX is built in JAPAN where TQM is superior.

ChimChim
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Racer

No its no worth it. You can "inspect" it your.

Did you buy your car there?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
No its no worth it. You can "inspect" it your.

Did you buy your car there?
No, I bought it from Keyes
Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You asking us if it's worth your own money? What did you think?
Did you enjoy paying him $40 to peek at your brake pads, which probably did not even need inspecting at 6500 miles?

I'll rotate my own tires in 10 minutes time with a floor jack and impact wrench, thank you very much.
Then again, at 6500 miles, your tires probably didn't need rotating either.
Doesn't hurt though.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by psteng19
You asking us if it's worth your own money? What did you think?
Did you enjoy paying him $40 to peek at your brake pads, which probably did not even need inspecting at 6500 miles?

I'll rotate my own tires in 10 minutes time with a floor jack and impact wrench, thank you very much.
Then again, at 6500 miles, your tires probably didn't need rotating either.
Doesn't hurt though.
I usually rotate my old car's tires at 7500...but now i just go by the service minder
Old 09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Instructor

I usually rotate my old car's tires at 7500...but now i just go by the service minder
Tire rotation varies by "how" you drive, but if you stick with 6000K, you will mostly like exceed wear expectations compared to others....

Also, go to one of the tires places and pay for lifetime rotation and balance. I paid $55.00 for this and it covers road hazard as well....good deal....JUST make sure you mark your tires to ensure that actually rotated them. dont trust anyone...some places take it back there, drink a few beers and bring it back w/o ever touching it...

ChimChim
Old 09-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chimchim
Tire rotation varies by "how" you drive, but if you stick with 6000K, you will mostly like exceed wear expectations compared to others....

Also, go to one of the tires places and pay for lifetime rotation and balance. I paid $55.00 for this and it covers road hazard as well....good deal....JUST make sure you mark your tires to ensure that actually rotated them. dont trust anyone...some places take it back there, drink a few beers and bring it back w/o ever touching it...

ChimChim
I tried going to Costco...but they said they won't touch tires that aren't from them.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
No-navi, yo

Call around. Pepboy does tire rotation and some basic inspections for $10.

Some owner prefer bring the car to dealer for service, some DIY. Was it worth $40? It is really depends how do you want to look at it.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

I remember when I first got the A1 service done at Castle Acura in Delaware, they charged me $60. The kicker is that they give you free oil changes when you buy the car from them so i pretty much got ripped off.

This time around I said no to the B1 at around 15k, and just got the free oil change done. I figure I can pay a local mechanic like 10 bucks to rotate tires and check my brakes.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Racer

Two of my local dealerships (Mile High and Courtesy in Denver) want $160 and $180, respectively, to do the B1 service. They include tire balancing with this, but it still seems outrageously expensive. They both charge about $60 for oil change and tire rotation. Have people found more reasonable prices at Honda dealerships?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
ICG
British

Originally Posted by jswim99
Two of my local dealerships (Mile High and Courtesy in Denver) want $160 and $180, respectively, to do the B1 service. They include tire balancing with this, but it still seems outrageously expensive. They both charge about $60 for oil change and tire rotation. Have people found more reasonable prices at Honda dealerships?
Yes to the Honda dealership question. I have always taken my 06 to a Honda dealer for oil and to rotate the tires. The Acura dealer has only seen it twice. 1st oil change at 7000 miles (1 year ago today) and 2nd when the chrome started peeling off the grill (Warranty). The Honda dealer also did a AT oil change at 45k. Less cost same great service (Although no TL's to borrow).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes it is!

I buy my oil from Wal-Mart and get an oil filter from AutoZone - and then I take it to a local mechanic who charges me $5 - $15 (depending on what mood he's in) to put it on the lift and change everything out for me.