winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter driving

OK i live in the southeastern region on Penn. we get snow but not like the northwestern part of Penn. but i was thinkin of buy a cheap car to drive for the winter. but if anyone has driven there car in the snow and found any damage left behind wehn spring hits.. i don't want any damage to my car.. i just bought it this summer. everyone keeps tellin me not to drive it in the snow b/c of damages.. but i wanted to know from other if there car had any damage (paint).. i really would like to see how the tsx perform in the snow and winter season compare to a bucket car. well i would like ur opinion on this..
Old 10-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The amount of "damage" you'll get will depend on your style of driving, ie: if you tailgate, then you'll have a lot of crap kicked up at you.

Nevertheless, your best protection would be to get a good quality clear bra installed, preferrably to cover the entire hood, the bumper, top part of the fenders, mirrors, and the top, between the windshield and the sun roof.

Then, the damages should be pretty restrained, if any.

Anyways, lik you said, you're far from getting harsh winters where you live, so if you want to minimise risks, just don't go out on stormy days, and until it's cleared out unless you have to.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:41 AM
ric
Safety Car

If' you're that edgy, get the bra - but my experience is that the worst part of the southeastern PA winters is the road salt - it is a part of the country where there is a lot of "swing temperature", and most areas fight that by laying down huge quantities of salt. The bra will help, but so will a topnotch wax job for the car, along with periodic washes in a carwash that operates in a heated enviornment that can really knock the salt/mudcrud off before it attacks anything or builds up.

And - learn to drive on packed snow and ice.......................... I'm an immigrant to PA, and learned to drive where snow and ice were a five-month reality, and never cease to be amazed at folks here......... there is a presumption that when stuck, revving the engine to spin the tires will work... SUV drivers all over this area assume that they are immune to bad road conditions, which they are not - and they drive more recklessly, endangering themselves and other folks - and people underestimate the presence of patch ice and black ice, both of which emerge with all of the swing temperature stuff.

TSX performance on snow and ice has been discussed in several threads, I believe; concensus is that it handles well enough, but not brilliantly - but you can use the search mode to turn those up.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Advanced

I live in montreal and the winters get quite bad. The problem for my TSX lies with the tons of salt they put on the road. Does anybody know where I can get clear bra installed in montreal or should I just get regular black bra.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
And - learn to drive on packed snow and ice.......................... I'm an immigrant to PA, and learned to drive where snow and ice were a five-month reality, and never cease to be amazed at folks here......... there is a presumption that when stuck, revving the engine to spin the tires will work... SUV drivers all over this area assume that they are immune to bad road conditions, which they are not - and they drive more recklessly, endangering themselves and other folks - and people underestimate the presence of patch ice and black ice, both of which emerge with all of the swing temperature stuff.
Try North Carolina. No offense to our southern members, but I couldn't believe the winter ineptitude of some of the drivers there. The attitude seemed to be "faster I get home, the less of this I have to drive in!". Fortunately everything closes at the mention of flurries... my hall of offices (in a hospital, mind you) was vacant if it snowed

OTOH, it snowed twice and iced twice over the entire winter, and was 80 in April
Old 10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878
Try North Carolina. No offense to our southern members, but I couldn't believe the winter ineptitude of some of the drivers there. The attitude seemed to be "faster I get home, the less of this I have to drive in!". Fortunately everything closes at the mention of flurries... my hall of offices (in a hospital, mind you) was vacant if it snowed

OTOH, it snowed twice and iced twice over the entire winter, and was 80 in April
Short winters are nice.

Ahh, and here's another nice thing about winter in NC: when it does snow/ice, once all the idiots who can't drive scurry home the roads are nice and clear for days after the storms. People are afraid of it and stay in their homes and apartments until they are absolutely sure it's clear. And I seem to be of the opposite breed from most living here; I love to go driving in the snow, because it always feels more like an adventure.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eidji
Short winters are nice.

Ahh, and here's another nice thing about winter in NC: when it does snow/ice, once all the idiots who can't drive scurry home the roads are nice and clear for days after the storms. People are afraid of it and stay in their homes and apartments until they are absolutely sure it's clear. And I seem to be of the opposite breed from most living here; I love to go driving in the snow, because it always feels more like an adventure.
Must be a closet damnyankee
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
Must be a closet damnyankee

They don't go to State