Window Tinting (North Cal, bay area)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting (North Cal, bay area)...

Hi guys,

two ques here:
1) what should I watch out for in general for window tinting? (yes, I will definitely obey the law in terms of darkness)
2) any recommendation for tinting shops in N. Cal, Bay Area?

thanks a lot
Old 08-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I went to Mr. Tint, a shop outside the carwash on Stevens Creek and San Tomas in Santa Clara. They did a good job and let me tint my front side windows slightly darker than the law allows (which is almost nothing). I think I went 18% all around the back and 32% on the front. It was 350 bucks for all windows. Tint contains no die and is guaranteed against fading and bubbling for life. Took about two hours, but I was happy with the job they did.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Ozzman
I went to Mr. Tint, a shop outside the carwash on Stevens Creek and San Tomas in Santa Clara. They did a good job and let me tint my front side windows slightly darker than the law allows (which is almost nothing). I think I went 18% all around the back and 32% on the front. It was 350 bucks for all windows. Tint contains no die and is guaranteed against fading and bubbling for life. Took about two hours, but I was happy with the job they did.
sorry, dont mean to sound cheap, but is $350 kinda steep? I read that $200 (in general) is the price?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:55 PM

It's possible I got shafted, I didn't really shop around. Had the two previous cars I've owned tinted there, and it was around 200 for the back three windows. Maybe the 350 is because this was 5 windows tinted instead of three.

Now I'm wondering, did I get ripped off? Anyone else willing to say what they paid for 5 window tinting?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Now I'm wondering, did I get ripped off? Anyone else willing to say what they paid for 5 window tinting?
My TSX = $149 (a total of 7 windows)
My Integra = $200 (with the entire front windshield tinted, a total of 6 windows)
My Prelude = $200 (with the entire front windshield tinted, a total of 6 windows)
My parents' Civic = $149 (a total of 7 windows)

All of the above were tinted at the same shop with the same film...Solar Gard HP Charcoal.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:26 PM

Was the tint you bought guaranteed against fading. They had two cheaper kinds where I went, but they contained dye and will turn purple after so many years. Look around on the road and you'll see what I mean. I'm not trying to justify why I spent so much, that's said and done now, but just wondering if my added cost was for a higher quality tint.

Are there any tint experts out there that really know the difference between different brands?

FYI - The brand I got is called Quantum.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Instructor

I'm getting my TSX done on Saturday, they told me it will be 159. I had my old car (camry) done there and it was around the same cost. they use the high quality, no dye films, lifetime warranty, etc etc. They do a really good job too and if you ever see a bubble just take it in and they will redo it. This is a shop just over the river from Cincinnati in KY. Everyone from Ohio goes to this shop b/c 50% is the law in OH, this shop will let OH people do 35%
Old 08-26-2003, 09:22 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Was the tint you bought guaranteed against fading. They had two cheaper kinds where I went, but they contained dye and will turn purple after so many years. Look around on the road and you'll see what I mean. I'm not trying to justify why I spent so much, that's said and done now, but just wondering if my added cost was for a higher quality tint.

Are there any tint experts out there that really know the difference between different brands?

FYI - The brand I got is called Quantum.
The tint I got have a lifetime warranty against fading, peeling, cracking, bubbling, delaminating, etc... I've had the tint on my Prelude for over 5 years (4 years on the Integra) and they are still dark as new. No purpling effect. Just check out the pics in my site (link in my sig), the pics of the Prelude and Integra were taken in Fall of 2002.

BTW, not sure if the Quantum you're talking about is the same as the Solar Gard HP Quantum, if so then don't fell too bad about paying too much. I was quoted around $230 if I were to go with that film on my TSX.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Are there any good tinting places near SF part of the bay area, and will the tint mess with the reception from navi/radio or does that only apply to metallic tint?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:26 PM
A- GERMAN CAR HATER

my a4= all windows +windshield = $200
my tsx=all windows + windshield= $180
$350 is A LOT of $$$
Old 08-27-2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by vwong
The tint I got have a lifetime warranty against fading, peeling, cracking, bubbling, delaminating, etc... I've had the tint on my Prelude for over 5 years (4 years on the Integra) and they are still dark as new. No purpling effect. Just check out the pics in my site (link in my sig), the pics of the Prelude and Integra were taken in Fall of 2002.

BTW, not sure if the Quantum you're talking about is the same as the Solar Gard HP Quantum, if so then don't fell too bad about paying too much. I was quoted around $230 if I were to go with that film on my TSX.
Yes, it is that solar gard stuff. I guess I probably did pay too much, but thats OK. Next time I'll have to shop around. I was perfectly happy paying that much up until tonight, so I guess there is no reason to start complaining now.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

I tinted 5 of my windows last weekend at Dr. Tint (at Premier Car Wash on Capitol Auto Mall). Of the three places I called, it was the cheapest at $220 and only one open Saturday and Sunday (I wanted the tints put on the same day). They used Solargard and it came with a lifetime warranty as well. I don't like uneven tints so I went 35% all around which turned out real good on my MSM. Nice job, the car looks killer!
Old 08-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by bluesky
I tinted 5 of my windows last weekend at Dr. Tint (at Premier Car Wash on Capitol Auto Mall). Of the three places I called, it was the cheapest at $220 and only one open Saturday and Sunday (I wanted the tints put on the same day). They used Solargard and it came with a lifetime warranty as well. I don't like uneven tints so I went 35% all around which turned out real good on my MSM. Nice job, the car looks killer!
thanks! I will definitely check it out.
do u know how does 'Solargard' compare with 'Quantum'?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:44 PM

Quantum is made by Solargard, but they might make others too.

Check out www.solargard.com and there is a link for Quantum as well as others.