Window Tint Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Ticket

I just got my 3rd tint ticket in the last 5 months. All of them have been in the HOV lane. I slug every morning to work with 2 extra passengers in my car. I've concluded that b/c i drive in the HOV lanes I'm exposed b/c these state troopers are trying to see if i am violating the HOV requirement.

I have 35% tint all the way around and love the way it looks and protects my car(sun, leather, etc.)

I printed a form from the DMV so I can get a medical waiver for tint or "sun-shading"..thats what the DMV calls it.

Has anyone else done this? If so what medical condition did you list. Im in Northern VA by the way. Should I go thru this hassle or just redo my tint?

Feedback please?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ones you have. What, you don't have any valid medical reason? Sounds like a good way to get the book thrown at you even harder.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

^^ I'm with Luke. You sign the form don't you? Now you're submitting false statements and opening yourself up to fraud charges.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VA is wicked hard on tint. Honestly, it's easier and alot less hassle just to have it done legally. My boy gets pulled over all the time and he is legal, it's real annoying. atleast 3 times a month. no joke. Hell i got pulled over and my car has no tint. They said my window visors made my windows look dark.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

35% isn't that dark, and is legal in alot of States, or Provinces in Canada. If it's 25% or 20%, then it's another story.

Does your states allow tints @ all?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by chuson
35% isn't that dark, and is legal in alot of States, or Provinces in Canada. If it's 25% or 20%, then it's another story.

Does your states allow tints @ all?
in alot of the states tinting the front windshield is either lower or none at all.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Drifting

VA has a huge boner for giving tickets it seems. I hate how at all the turn around in the middle of the highway they have all those irregularly colored and shaped reflectors to hide the cop cars. Even having a radar detector is a ticket.

They've got really high property taxes too from what I've heard. F' that state.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by soon2own1
I just got my 3rd tint ticket in the last 5 months. All of them have been in the HOV lane. I slug every morning to work with 2 extra passengers in my car. I've concluded that b/c i drive in the HOV lanes I'm exposed b/c these state troopers are trying to see if i am violating the HOV requirement.

I have 35% tint all the way around and love the way it looks and protects my car(sun, leather, etc.)

I printed a form from the DMV so I can get a medical waiver for tint or "sun-shading"..thats what the DMV calls it.

Has anyone else done this? If so what medical condition did you list. Im in Northern VA by the way. Should I go thru this hassle or just redo my tint?

Feedback please?
According to http://www.tintlaws.com/
50% is the max for your front. I live in NJ and its the most anal state about tints and license plates.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Damn them guys is strick.. I got presidential tints all around thank god I haven't got pulled over for themm. I'm in nyc...my girl has gotten stopeed 3 times for the tints when she's driving and just tells the cops ""is my boyfriends car" and they let her go lol...just ride it out bro..
Old 01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Yea its pretty strict and costly here in northern VA. The guy that installed my tint recommended that i submit the medical condition waiver b/c he had a customer that did that. My eyes are sensitive b/c of my contacts...lol Maybe I can get my optometrist to sign the form. 35% is not bad at all. Effin state police....nothing better to do...Im making the world a better place by slugging(carpooling)...and please do not reply to this msg if ur gonna chastise and say "they are just doing their job"....

I might just go ahead and redo the front windows....debating b/t 40% or 45%....maybe not, if i get the waiver approved. Damn this sucks.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Racer

Chicago and surrounding suburbs are hard on tint. It's supposed to be legal on anything behind the front passengers. But sometimes they try to ticket you for any tint at all, even on the rear windshield!

I used to have "double-limo" tint all around on my CRX (not sure what %), and I never got pulled over until I put on a body kit. Go figure! So I got a "fix-it ticket", took the tint off, took pics, brought the scraps of tint to court, and the judge waived my fine. I never put on tint again.

Besides... don't you want all the ladies to know who's rollin' that nice TSX??
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JayRoam
Chicago and surrounding suburbs are hard on tint. It's supposed to be legal on anything behind the front passengers. But sometimes they try to ticket you for any tint at all, even on the rear windshield!

I used to have "double-limo" tint all around on my CRX (not sure what %), and I never got pulled over until I put on a body kit. Go figure! So I got a "fix-it ticket", took the tint off, took pics, brought the scraps of tint to court, and the judge waived my fine. I never put on tint again.

Besides... don't you want all the ladies to know who's rollin' that nice TSX??

I just like the way it looks with tint...plus i like the extra sense of being hidden when you're getting head on the road at night...hahaha j/k....well still working out the kinks...Im considering redoing all of my tint to like 45% all the way around if waiver doesnt work...its at 35 now...we'll see...or Ill move out of VA...nawwww
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Instructor

They could be looking for Radar Detectors. If memory serves me that's a nasty fine in VA and they confiscate in DC.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

if theres one stretch of road where you know they hide out (3 tickets, you should know where they are by now) ---just drive with your windows down for a bit so the cops see whos in the car
whenever i see cops in NY, i always put my windwos down just incase
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by btoline
if theres one stretch of road where you know they hide out (3 tickets, you should know where they are by now) ---just drive with your windows down for a bit so the cops see whos in the car
whenever i see cops in NY, i always put my windwos down just incase
They don't catch on in February?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Oh, now I see why, cause your front is tinted too.

Well, in Ontario (Canada), I think we are not allow to tint the front windshield.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Feedback please?

I feel your pain. I live in Dumfries and was driving home after work and got off at 158 and they stopped me at the exit and the first thing that cop said was where my tags are reg at. Wel since i didnt change it from MD to VA he still said that its pretty dark for MD. I have 20%, but since the ticket was on $30 I'm not gonna bother fixing it. I've been in va for about 8 months and that was my first ticket for tint.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by offsight204
Damn them guys is strick.. I got presidential tints all around thank god I haven't got pulled over for themm. I'm in nyc...my girl has gotten stopeed 3 times for the tints when she's driving and just tells the cops ""is my boyfriends car" and they let her go lol...just ride it out bro..
NYC cops have a lot more to do than waiting and looking for people with dark tints.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
B A N N E D

i feel you pain i live in MD and i have been pulled over 5 times for my tint. I have 5% limo tint all around and no tint on the front windshield. A friend of mine would sign off the repair orders for the tint but now i got the same form from MVA that you did. In order for in to work you have to have a letter from you doctor on his or her letterhead stating that you must have darker tint then legal to prevent melanoma. Only because you really do have skin cancer riiiiite.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justinangil
NYC cops have a lot more to do than waiting and looking for people with dark tints.
My brother is an NYC cop - and you are quite correct, he told me even though he has a tint meter he never bothers giving summons unless a guy does something else to incur his ire (parking in front of no parking sign while he's standing there is his biggest pet peeve).
Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

I dont think I will roll my window down in 20/30 degree temps....not to confuse anybody but i did not tint my front windshield....just side and rear. Actually I might get my dr. to sign the waiver form for "photosensitivity"....we'll see....
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 AM
6th Gear

I dont think I will roll my window down in 20/30 degree temps....not to confuse anybody but i did not tint my front windshield....just side and rear. Actually I might get my dr. to sign the waiver form for "photosensitivity"....we'll see....
Yeah, I just read that VA doesn't allow more than 50% on the front side windows. That's horrible. Moving seems to be the best option . I thought GA was prickly with our 32% all around (excluding front of course).
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

soon2own1, I'm going to agree with you here. Get the waiver, get a story, and stick with it. They can't do anything to you if you do. VA cops are, generally speaking, assholes. I get driving while blacked occasionally on rt 28, they hassle me for a while and then let me go. I once had a state trooper tell me my TSX was 'ricer' and I should go move to Maryland if I wanted to "drive a car like that". I have NEVER had any experiences like this in any other state.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Poser / Fanboi

I feel for you, I have 15% all around and couldn't live without it. Nobody in Colorado looks twice at the car, and I've never been pulled over. Technically I am not supposed to have <30% on the fronts.

Good luck with your medical wavier.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
9th Gear

LCD tint?

Someone needs to come up with a dual pane window with LCD gel that reacts to an electric current that allows for real time dynamic tinting.

Turn the car off and it becomes 100% transparent. "What tint officer? You've been working to hard...can I buy you a coffee and dough nut?"

Let me know if such an invention is ever made.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Drifting

They exist but are insanely expensive. They're not completely clear when off either. It looks more like 50% tint when off and about 2% when on. I saw some show car with a set up like that. The windows no longer rolled down and were like 1/2" thick. This was maybe 5 years ago so I don't know what, if any, advancements have been made in the technology since.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
They exist but are insanely expensive. They're not completely clear when off either. It looks more like 50% tint when off and about 2% when on. I saw some show car with a set up like that. The windows no longer rolled down and were like 1/2" thick. This was maybe 5 years ago so I don't know what, if any, advancements have been made in the technology since.
I sure hope they are bullet proof at that thickness! heh!