Window Tint Question ...... HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
TSX User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Tint Question ...... HELP!!!!!

I just had my windows tinted (35% all around) last week and it looks awesome.

However, as soon as I picked up the car and drove on the highway I noticed a LOT more wind noise. The sound from adjacent cars are more noticeable and when it rains, I can hear water-sucking noise. [Hope there is no real leak, or I'll go postal]. Also, the entire rear passenger door cover does not sit properly ... there is a little bit of play, which is not present in any of my other doors.

Anyway, went back to the installer and his explanation is that they removed the rubber material lining the inside of the window, so as to prevent any scratching.

I asked him about adding felt [since I had read about it here in AZ] and he said he does not know where to get it. "If you can find it, I'll install it for you."

He says he has done 20~30 TSXs and no one has come back because of this problem.

Well, before I call my credit card company to file a formal complaint, could you guys shed some light on how this issue can be resolved?

1. Where can I find the felt lining inserts for the windows? I assume this would not make it look ghetto.

2. Is the removed rubber liniing the reason the cabin noise has increased?

3. If so, would felt inserts fix the problem?

The tints look good but somehow I feel .
Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I am not 100% sure, but the rubber seal on the windows do help in noise reduction and that is probably why you are hearing more road noise. According to the Acura dealer here, the TSX rubber should not be an issue when it comes to scratching the tint. He told me that is more of a problem on all of the TLs because of the increased emphasis on a quiet cabin the rubber is a tighter fit on the window. Although I have read threads here where TSX owners have complained about verticle lines scratched in their tint. They installed some felt lining that helps prevent scratches. So far I have had no scratching and the installer (factory) left the rubber seals as they came when I got the car. The cabin is quiet and the tint is nice.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Instructor

First, you need to find out if he kept the old seals or threw them out. You need them back to do the felt. I had my tinted and didn't get the seals but I put the back window done once and looked for scratches to see what would happen. What do you know, a very light vertical scratch. I ordered the moleskin kit from the guy on the TL site, it was 25 shipped. It took about 3 hours to do because I was very careful about getting the door panel off without a scratch. The felt was easy to apply and no scratches or problems since.
The noise you hear is probably air moving in the door and without the seal you can probably put your hand next to the window and door panel and feel a breeze while you drive. I would get the seals back and moleskin kit.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
esk
Advanced

Just a guess, but if the door is not attached properly it could add a lot of noise to the cabin.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by dizzy1
First, you need to find out if he kept the old seals or threw them out. You need them back to do the felt. I had my tinted and didn't get the seals but I put the back window done once and looked for scratches to see what would happen. What do you know, a very light vertical scratch. I ordered the moleskin kit from the guy on the TL site, it was 25 shipped. It took about 3 hours to do because I was very careful about getting the door panel off without a scratch. The felt was easy to apply and no scratches or problems since.
The noise you hear is probably air moving in the door and without the seal you can probably put your hand next to the window and door panel and feel a breeze while you drive. I would get the seals back and moleskin kit.
Wait, you purchased the moleskin kit on the TL site, so does that mean the felt on the TL site will work on a TSX?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Wait, you purchased the moleskin kit on the TL site, so does that mean the felt on the TL site will work on a TSX?
its a universal applicatoin, just a strip of felt
Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by xizor
its a universal applicatoin, just a strip of felt
Oh, then why is the guy selling them need to have a test case for the TSX? Ah well, maybe I'll just purchase it and get it done on my own.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
TSX User

Guys,

Is this the liner that people are using to cover the rubber blades?

Link ---> http://www.crlaurence.com/adv/catalogs/CRL43/345.pdf

There are three products for the CRL Moleskin Channel Liner; would the solic Cat. No. C5901 work, or would the strips be big enough?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
TSX User

Unfortunately, he removed them. He actually showed me the vent holes at the bottom of the doors and said that that is where the sounds were coming from.

I assume he cut off the upper lip as there still seems to be another rubber blade located more deeper in the door. Perhaps this is why the noise from outside is not completely unfiltered.

I guess I will have him order these parts and and also a role of moleskin.

It's these little cost-cutting measures that really piss me off about Honda.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Instructor

The ones he sells are for the TL but they still need to be trimmed to length and the instructions for the door panel is for the TL, just search on here and you find out how to get you door panels off with out the instructions.

Tinky-the moleskin looks just like that, I assume this is were people are getting them and selling them as a kit with a markup of course. Not sure how much that role costs?

Tinky- he probably removed them all together, there is 2 blades, if he cut one, you could still get scratching, he either cut them both or removed the rubber all together which sounds like what he did, bad move if he did.

This is the guy I bought it from in the past.
http://members.aol.com/setecsolutions/mole.html
Old 04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
TSX User

The ones he sells are for the TL but they still need to be trimmed to length and the instructions for the door panel is for the TL, just search on here and you find out how to get you door panels off with out the instructions.

Tinky-the moleskin looks just like that, I assume this is were people are getting them and selling them as a kit with a markup of course. Not sure how much that role costs?

Tinky- he probably removed them all together, there is 2 blades, if he cut one, you could still get scratching, he either cut them both or removed the rubber all together which sounds like what he did, bad move if he did.

This is the guy I bought it from in the past.
http://members.aol.com/setecsolutions/mole.html

Dude, thanks for the help. He will definitely be replacing the rubber gasket and, if he considers himself a true professional, also adding the moleskin for free.

This really pisses me off, because these guys did such a song and dance that they had done lots of TSXs and no one had any issues. They were proud to work on lots of Accords, MBs and BMWs, but never heard of adding felt material (i.e., moleskin) nor where to get such material.

Ironically enough, I found a thread on tintdude.com that dates back to almost a year. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....0&#entry271138
Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro

I got my windows done 35% all around a month ago and have not noticed anything.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 AM
TSX User

Was the rubber gasket removed from the window? If it was and you're not experiencing any noise, then something may have gone awry during the (dis)assembly process. For me, that is. lol
Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM

I believe someone in another thread mentioned that you can purchase this felt at Michaels or some other store like this. Can someone confirm this?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:46 AM
TSX User

Thanks for the heads-up, VB. Wonder if it's the CR Laurance moleskin? I vaguely remember people having problems trying to apply an adhesive.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Thanks for the heads-up, VB. Wonder if it's the CR Laurance moleskin? I vaguely remember people having problems trying to apply an adhesive.
Man, I just want to get this fixed so that I can roll down my windows, LOL. Spring is here and the summer heat is not too far away. I guess I'm going to be doing this on my own since my tinter and glass shops I've called have never done this before.