window tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003 | 11:08 AM
Advanced

window tint

I want to have the windows tinted in my TSX, but I am a little concerned. I've seen after market tints that bubble and turn purple over time. is there any way to avoid this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what type of tint I should get? I prefer the darker limo tint, but I'm guessing this would fade even worse than a lighter tint. Is that true?
Old 09-23-2003 | 11:12 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Make sure you go to a good tint place that guarantees their work.
Also make sure the tint they use is a good brand. Lumar comes to mind as a good brand.
I just noticed youre in Sac, I go to a tint place called Omega Tintwerks in Livermore. I got the Evo and the TSX tinted there.
The guy is cool. His name is Vince. If you go tell him Steve w/ the TSX and the Evo sent u.
Old 09-23-2003 | 12:54 PM
Intermediate

along the same lines.....i'm a tint whore, and i'm wondering if the window rub-strips are so tight on the windows that after years of rolling them up and down will wear them out? we used to have a mb c280 that was a pain to keep tinted.
Old 09-23-2003 | 02:05 PM
Intermediate

I just had my windows done about three weeks ago by Rocky Mountain Window Tint also in Livermore. I went to high school with the owner and know him very well. My TSX was the first he had done and was worried about the window rub stirps as you call them. The TSX has felt strips on the outside of the glass and rubber on the inside, no felt, he says he is seeing more cars come this way and has seen cars come back due to scratches. He does have a modification that he does by adding felt to the inside rub strip. I took my car to him today and my rear window already has a 6 inch long scratch in the tint. I will have to have the felt added. He has does this to many cars with no issues. He also informed me that he has heard from one of his suppliers that some tint shops are completely removing the inner rub stip to prevent scratching of the tint without informing the customer. Please be sure to ask about the rub strips before having your car done. You do not want those pieces cut out.

By the way on of the manufacturers he mentioned regarding scratched tint were MBZ. The doors are very snug.
Old 09-23-2003 | 06:11 PM
I am Ahab!

Just make sure you get quality product. If its going to happen I dont really think theres a way to prevent it.

OT: fookie that sign in your avatar was a block away from my house
Old 09-23-2003 | 06:18 PM
Racer

A lot of them can re-do it if something goes wrong. Some of them u pay twice as much buy they guarantee for life-time.

I have my t 5% rear window and 20% for the back window. It's very nice for dark tint IMO.
Old 09-23-2003 | 06:37 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Get a metallic tint with no dye's. They cost a little more but supposedly cannot fade. I got 18% on three rear windows and 30 something % on front two. I didn't want the back to look much darker than the front, I wanted it pretty smooth all the way around. It is illegal to tint the front windows here, but I didn't go real dark so I don't expect too many problems. You can check out a few not so great photos by clicking the link in my signature.