Why I love my TSX again....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I love my TSX again....

Today I test-drove the 2005 Mercedes C240 4MATIC luxury sedan. They are having a special lease and my gf is looking to get a new car. Since I went with her, I thought I would try it out myself. At the end of the test-drive, it rekindled my love for the TSX.

Stepping into the MB felt like I was stepping back into older technology. The dash layout seemed very generic and the instrument panel was remarkably dim and boring to look at. I was disappointed that at the price of the MB, no Xenon lights were included. Since I test drove at night, I could immediately see the difference between the regular halogens on the MB versus the better HID on my TSX. Not only that, the CD changer and sunroof were optional (though included on the vehicle I was driving). Sound quality was better on the MB and quality of the materials was significantly better, although I'm satisfied with the ones used on the TSX. I suppose I would have liked to see them use real aluminum trim rather than the plastic stuff.

In the end, I was surprised that for the price you pay for the MB, how very little you actually get. Most were optional and not cheap at the same time. The TSX is definitely more rewarding to own, better value and overall, a better car in my opinion.

Oh yeah, funny thing...the C240 also had a buzzing sound coming from the driver's side window when driving on the interstate.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by Fooman
Today I test-drove the 2005 Mercedes C240 4MATIC luxury sedan. They are having a special lease and my gf is looking to get a new car. Since I went with her, I thought I would try it out myself. At the end of the test-drive, it rekindled my love for the TSX.

Stepping into the MB felt like I was stepping back into older technology. The dash layout seemed very generic and the instrument panel was remarkably dim and boring to look at. I was disappointed that at the price of the MB, no Xenon lights were included. Since I test drove at night, I could immediately see the difference between the regular halogens on the MB versus the better HID on my TSX. Not only that, the CD changer and sunroof were optional (though included on the vehicle I was driving). Sound quality was better on the MB and quality of the materials was significantly better, although I'm satisfied with the ones used on the TSX. I suppose I would have liked to see them use real aluminum trim rather than the plastic stuff.

In the end, I was surprised that for the price you pay for the MB, how very little you actually get. Most were optional and not cheap at the same time. The TSX is definitely more rewarding to own, better value and overall, a better car in my opinion.

Oh yeah, funny thing...the C240 also had a buzzing sound coming from the driver's side window when driving on the interstate.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

If you test drive a 3+ yr old MB, you will appreciate your tsx even more!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by ianS
If you test drive a 3+ yr old MB, you will appreciate your tsx even more!
I would certainly hope so...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:47 AM
6MT Snob

Not to mention that if you spec out a C230 with all the stuff that comes standard on a TSX (sunroof, heated seats etc) the price of a 230 jumps up to 35,120

http://www.mbusa.com/byo/frameset.js...ngModel=C230WZ

For that kinda money id get a TL
Old 08-26-2004, 04:22 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
MB is/was never about value. The RWD platform alone (which few folks care about) costs much more to make (than a Euro Accord FWD platform) all other things being equal (do I sound like gilbo on this one?). There's lots of other stuff under the sheet metal that make the price of it what it is - the majority of people don't see or appreciate these things are not willing to pay the extra for it.
I kind of doubt a 3 yr old MB will be any less solid than any other 3 year old car.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker
There's lots of other stuff under the sheet metal that make the price of it what it is - the majority of people don't see or appreciate these things are not willing to pay the extra for it.
Not to mention their paint is so much better than Honda/Acura.....I believe they use a 7 layer bake process.

One of my few problems with the TSX
Old 08-26-2004, 06:42 AM
The Voice of Reason

I kind of doubt a 3 yr old MB will be any less solid than any other 3 year old car.
http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...s_hold_up.html

Dunno. Consumer Reports seems to have 3-year old MBs 3rd from the bottom of the stack. I would agree about MB quality ... until they merged with Chrysler. I would have hoped that Chrysler could learn about quality from Daimler. Instead, Mercedes learned about cost-cutting from Chrysler.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...s_hold_up.html

Dunno. Consumer Reports seems to have 3-year old MBs 3rd from the bottom of the stack. I would agree about MB quality ... until they merged with Chrysler. I would have hoped that Chrysler could learn about quality from Daimler. Instead, Mercedes learned about cost-cutting from Chrysler.
That's got nothing to do with the "solid" feeling I was talking about. Those are problems that the Germans always seem to have. I'm talking about the solid "thunk" you hear when you close the door, and the lack of rattles (although this particular test drive does not seem to bear out the last one).
Old 08-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Instructor

That's got nothing to do with the "solid" feeling I was talking about. Those are problems that the Germans always seem to have. I'm talking about the solid "thunk" you hear when you close the door, and the lack of rattles (although this particular test drive does not seem to bear out the last one).
I understand exactly what you are talking about. My buddy owns a CLK320 and there is just something about the way the door closes on that car that makes you think quality.

Mind you I don't hear it very often cause it is always in the shop.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by OTT-TSX
I understand exactly what you are talking about. My buddy owns a CLK320 and there is just something about the way the door closes on that car that makes you think quality.

Just one of the downsides to that solid feeling.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:12 AM
JDM Pursuer

C240 are produced in Mexico factories am i right? very worrying for anyone who is buying it in terms of reliability. you can't trust the Mexican labour over there.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Advanced

I'm talking about the solid "thunk" you hear when you close the door...
You all realize that MB has a couple of engineers whose job is solely make the door shutting sound the way that it is... Most luxury car manufacturers do the same thing... Just food for thought...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by DarkLava
You all realize that MB has a couple of engineers whose job is solely make the door shutting sound the way that it is... Most luxury car manufacturers do the same thing... Just food for thought...
That's another reason they are more expensive.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by wingwing
C240 are produced in Mexico factories am i right? very worrying for anyone who is buying it in terms of reliability. you can't trust the Mexican labour over there.
They're made in different places - can only tell by the VIN.
Most of the troubles are not due to assembly.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Banned

Old 08-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I dunno, the TSX has a nice solid "thunk" when closing the door and I have yet to experience one rattle.....
Old 08-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I dunno, the TSX has a nice solid "thunk" when closing the door and I have yet to experience one rattle.....
Yes it does, but only when all the windows are closed. Try closing the door with the windows open and the sound is not nearly as solid. But in any case I would never buy a car solely on the sound the door makes. But you would be shocked at how many people do.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Race Director

Yes it does, but only when all the windows are closed. Try closing the door with the windows open and the sound is not nearly as solid. But in any case I would never buy a car solely on the sound the door makes. But you would be shocked at how many people do.
That, along with the badge.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Yes and the badge. Who can forget the badge? My buddy who owns the CLK had to trade in his BMW because his girlfriend told him the Mercedes badge was more prestigious. Apparently in Japan (where she is from) Mercedes is the only thing to drive.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:44 AM
04 remembrance

Old 08-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts

Ok great, but what about actual driving impressions?

Handling, power, feel, etc.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Speaking of the badge, I was originally going to buy a BMW 328i so i test drove a few and took them all to the mechanic. I was shocked to find that all of them needed serious mechanical work either right away or sometime soon! These were all 2000 model year cars with less than 50k miles on them! One needed rear wheel bearings, vent valve, shocks and struts, and belts! I've driven mostly Hondas with mostly over 100k miles and have NEVER had a $2000 repair bill, yet all 4 BMW's needed at least that much work done! Again, these were all nearly new cars (one was even still under warranty!). The worst part was when I asked the mechanic if this was unusual, he said that these were all common problems and that BMW's are not built to last (his words!). After that I said screw it and started looking at Lexus and Acura (eventually ending up with my SSM TSX w/nav).

Oh, btw, the 328i is definitely a beautiful looking and driving car. If not for the piss-poor reliability and high price, I would have gotten one for sure.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Speaking of the badge, I was originally going to buy a BMW 328i so i test drove a few and took them all to the mechanic. I was shocked to find that all of them needed serious mechanical work either right away or sometime soon! These were all 2000 model year cars with less than 50k miles on them! One needed rear wheel bearings, vent valve, shocks and struts, and belts! I've driven mostly Hondas with mostly over 100k miles and have NEVER had a $2000 repair bill, yet all 4 BMW's needed at least that much work done! Again, these were all nearly new cars (one was even still under warranty!). The worst part was when I asked the mechanic if this was unusual, he said that these were all common problems and that BMW's are not built to last (his words!). After that I said screw it and started looking at Lexus and Acura (eventually ending up with my SSM TSX w/nav).

Oh, btw, the 328i is definitely a beautiful looking and driving car. If not for the piss-poor reliability and high price, I would have gotten one for sure.
Please count my 328i too.... I have most of the "common problems" such as control arm, stalling, unstable idling, broken sunroof rail, ball joint, transmission, o2 sensor, temp guage, window regulator...the list goes on. But it still way more reliable than my mom's MB and my brother's MB and my other brother's A4.

BTW, if you have a 6sp tsx then how can you said that BMW is sweet? Just the butter slick shift from tsx is already good enough to make me depressed every morning.... because my wife drive away the tsx to work and leave me the bimmer to drive....