Why I did'nt want Silver

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Why I did'nt want Silver

29 percent of new cars sold in 03 were Silver. Still the best color to have IMO for maintenance and looks on most cars, but just too damn common.

Silver remains top vehicle colour

Troy, Michigan - The 2003 model year marks the third consecutive year that silver ranked as the most popular vehicle colour in North America, according to the annual global colour popularity survey conducted by PPG Industries, the world's leading manufacturer of transportation coatings.

Overall, silver topped all other colours among North American vehicles produced in the 2003 model year with 24 percent, up from 22 percent in 2002. Silver also led global colour popularity with 29 percent for the 2003 model year.

In addition, silver, a member of the neutral colour family, replaced natural tones such as champagne, gold, and lighter shades of brown and orange as the leading colour in the luxury vehicle segment with 24 percent and matched the perennial favorite white as the most popular colour in the truck segment at 21 percent.

"Silver will define the first decade of the new millennium," said Lorene C. Boettcher, manager, Global Design and Colour Marketing, automotive coatings for PPG. "The sophisticated and high-tech look of silver, its ability to accentuate a vehicle's design and advances in coatings technologies that drive the creation of new interpretations of silver will help maintain its popularity for the next several years."

According to Boettcher, in the 2007-2008 model year, silver will become more complex with blue and gold influences and will incorporate fine to coarse metallic flakes to add sparkle effects.

Research conducted by PPG reveals that for the 2003 model year, white and red were featured on 16 and 14 percent, respectively, of vehicles produced in North America, matching their popularity in the 2002 model year. Black increased in popularity to 13 percent from 10 percent, followed by the natural colour family and blue, each with 11 percent, and green with 7 percent. Other niche and specialty colours held constant at 4 percent.

Global colour trend data collected by PPG found white, at 19 percent, was the second most popular colour worldwide in 2003. On a global level, black and blue finished at 13 and 11 percent, respectively. Red was featured on 10 percent of vehicles produced around the world, while green and naturals each appeared on 7 percent of the vehicles. Niche and specialty colours were at 4 percent.

This year, PPG surveyed approximately 22 automakers around the world to compile its colour trend data.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:49 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Boettcher, in the 2007-2008 model year, silver will become more complex with blue and gold influences and will incorporate fine to coarse metallic flakes to add sparkle effects.
The CGP has little specks of green and blue, and IIRC the NBP has color flakes as well.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver is a nice color, but yeah, way too common. Ever since I saw the grey introduced for the Jetta, I've wanted a car with that color.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Registered AssHat

You mean you want to be different...just like everyone else?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Instructor

It still looks the best in my humble opinion. Just wait a few years when all you will see will be gray (carbon gray, anthracite, etc., etc.)
Old 12-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Don't get run over!

My CR-V is silver, but yeah, silver is a very popular color here. When I bought my TSX back in May, the dealer had a silver TSX 5AT w/ Navi, originally I wanted a CG color TSX. However, I would have had to wait 3-5 months for the Carbon Grey. Also, I didn't want Navi, so the dealer located an Artic Blue TSX for me and it was PERFECT!

So, now I have an Artic Blue TSX, which is NOT a common color around here. I have yet to see another Artic Blue TSX besides mines.

The TSXs I see around here are white, red, black, and silver!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

In one of the car park garages at work--the one I use--I can now count five TSXs: two ABs, two SSMs (including mine), and one NB.

I don't know who any of these fellow employees are, obviously with fine tastes in automobiles.

Still, on the highway, we're few and far between.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Kick Ass Duke

If you want a color that looks great but isnt common...you gotta go with Meteor Silver. I mean DAMN. It's name is meteor silver...but the damn thing is blue. Thats INSANE.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro

Re: Why I did'nt want Silver

Originally posted by domn
29 percent of new cars sold in 03 were Silver. Still the best color to have IMO for maintenance and looks on most cars, but just too damn common.
Agreed, from a fellow IBP owner. I've only ever seen two other IBP's on the road. Too bad one of them is in my garage at work so I see it everyday!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Being that it's been the most popular color for cars in recent years, and the fact that my last two cars spanning the last 12 years have been silver.. I'm ready for a change.

I also wish the TSX silver was a brighter shade.. those are the silvers that really grab my attention. The Jetta silver is one example.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Meteor Silver and absolutely love it - and I love the quartz interior as well. But, I have to say that the Artic Blue would have been my second choice. Too bad the TL doesn't come in those colors!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by darth62
I have the Meteor Silver and absolutely love it - and I love the quartz interior as well. But, I have to say that the Artic Blue would have been my second choice. ....
ditto me, baby! that's my one-two punch, as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Racer

My old 85 Accord was Carbon Grey kind of color. One of the hardest colors to get at the time. I wouldn't mind having a Carbon Grey TSX, that's a real nice color.

At least the "hot, gotta-have" color isn't green anymore. All shades of dark green were everywhere just a couple of years ago. Blah, even the Sol came in White, Blue, Black, Red, and then 4 shades of Green.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:59 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darth62
I have the Meteor Silver and absolutely love it - and I love the quartz interior as well.
I might have chosen the Meteor Silver if it had been available with the Ebony interior... it is different enough from silver that it stands out, but subtle enough that you won't tire of it over time....

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
2004 TL Owner

I wish Acura brought back the orange color they had for the CL.. similar to the Sunset orange on the 350Z.. I would love ot have a TSX in that color
Old 12-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by C_TSX_Go
I wish Acura brought back the orange color they had for the CL.. similar to the Sunset orange on the 350Z.. I would love ot have a TSX in that color
Ick, looks like primer, imho. There's already too many orange cars out there - 350, Max, Murano, X-Terra, MZ6. Oh wait, it's mostly Nissan!

I agree that the SSM is very neutral, as silvers go. I would have considered a TSX in Silverstone (S2000, Insight).
Old 12-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Advanced

I got blue because it stands out so well in a sea of gray cars.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:55 AM
You want me to break it?

I got the silver - seems like alot of people here want to get a particular color because "nobody else has it". That's fine and dandy - I just think that over time the silver will look better - it's a timeless color. So is the black, but if that paint ever fades even a tiny bit....Silver is easy to keep clean looking, classy, and overall just aesthetically pleasing. My only concern is when I actually FIND the parking lot where 1/4 cars are silver - still, not too many of them will be TSX's (yet). Just my $.02 (couldn't get the damn smilies to pop up).
Old 12-13-2003, 05:08 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
You mean you want to be different...just like everyone else?
And I just want to be invisible .. to the guys and gals in blue in the Crown Victorias with the lights and antennas.

In the 1970s Merdedes-Benz did a study of the relative visibility of car colors. Most visible were combinations, things like a white body with an orange or chartruse hood and deck lid. But the most visible solid color was white, under most conditions, the notable exception being in a snowstorm (!). So we've been buying mostly white cars for the past 20 years.

White does reflect more light than any other color.

http://www.aaafoundation.org/resourc...utton=carcolor
Old 12-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bob shiftright
And I just want to be invisible .. to the guys and gals in blue in the Crown Victorias with the lights and antennas.
My impression is that the TSX in general would be a fairly steathy car to LEO's. At quick glance, it's a conservatively styled 4-door sedan that sorta looks like a previous-gen Camry. Maybe the Milano Red would be unusual, but all the other colours are fairly mainstream.

It's not exactly a gold-rimmed, giant scooped, bleachers on the trunk STi. I remember an automotive writer got pulled over three times during the week he was testing it by Rice-cops check that all the parts were legal.