Why is Acura only sold in North America??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Acura only sold in North America??

My career requires me to travel quite a bit and it makes me wonder why Acura is only sold in the US ( and Canada I think.) When ever I go to Europe or asia, no body has ever heard of acura. Then I tell them its made by honda, they go "oh, honda." It's really interesting. I see a lot of lexus' in other countries and they all know its made by toyota but it still gets a lot of prestege and respect.
I am a pretty big tsx fanboy and even though I know Acura has a long way to go to match Lexus in terms of overall quality, I still think acura would make a KILLING selling there cars internationally. Furthermore, I think the acura brand could actually help the honda brand just like how lexus helps toyota internationally. Acura's target comsumers seem to be entry level luxury buyers which lexus hasn't really been able to reach. You guys are the experts. Why is such a high quality brand like acura only sold here?
peace

04 Acura Tsx NHB/black interior/non-navi
17"A-SPECS wheels
Old 03-13-2005, 03:01 AM
A Commuter

im sure its sold in australia too....

i think they get the MDX~ correct me if im wrong though~ heh~
Old 03-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Racer

they have Acura in Canada.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

It isnt.

Fellow Acura-ites,

Acutally, Acura is sold only in two markets around the world- in that of the United States and Canada. Interestingly, I remember a document posted pre-TSX launch indicating that they had started preparations to set up a Mexican branch. You can thank NAFTA for that.

As for the last little tidbit, there is only one other market where Acuras are imported and sold... Currently, i'm studying abroad in this little economic 'Special Administrative Region' where capital reigns supreme and if somebody wants something, somebody gets it. That's right- Acura's can be seen here, with RHD, in Hong Kong. Need proof? Just ask!

Jeff

BTW-Nice to see you guys again, I may not post often, but I'm usually here skulking around...
Old 03-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

It isnt.

Fellow Acura-ites,

Acutally, Acura is sold only in two markets around the world- the United States and Canada. Interestingly, I remember a document posted pre-TSX launch indicating that they had started preparations to set up a Mexican branch. You can all thank our friend NAFTA for that.

As for the last little tidbit, there is only one other market where Acuras are imported and sold... Currently, i'm studying abroad in this little economic 'Special Administrative Region' where capital reigns supreme and if somebody wants something, somebody gets it. That's right- Acuras can be seen here, with RHD, in Hong Kong. Need proof? Just ask!

Jeff

BTW-Nice to see you guys again, I may not post often, but I'm usually here skulking around...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Matell

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
im sure its sold in australia too....

i think they get the MDX~ correct me if im wrong though~ heh~

Yeha we get the MDX, but it's badged as a Honda
Old 03-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
they have Acura in Canada.

Canada is part of North America....

You can get a Honda Accord Wagon in Europe which is very cool.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Cool

well we get honda cars here in europe no one heard of acura here...

but we get some cars that u dont get over there...

like honda civic nad also type r

honda accord tourer

honda jazz

honda stream

but ofcourse many are common...
and many still there are some cars which u get in usa we never get here... like acura tl and other cars which i think that people will like but we never get them here.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:49 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Yea when I visited Taiwan a few years back my uncle and grandpa wanted to purchase the Honda oddssey also after seing ours, but they would have to spend 28,000 for the car and another 20 or 40 thounsand to ship it, becasue honda dealers there only carry certain model, and a van that size would not fit well in the small streets of Tapiei.

Its same with japan they have their own honda cars made compared to the american models.

I'm personally thinking us americans are just bigger vendors in drivers, to hear that China is almost reaching 1 billion that drives...
Old 03-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Acura is only sold in North America primarily because of America's image obsessed society that values so-called "luxury" brands. The brand image is often more important to the average American car buyer than the actual qualities of the car itself. In other markets, people seem to be less into the brand image and more about the car.

Acura and Infiniti both only exist in North America. Lexus has only recently expanded out of the North American market into the Japanese home market, which might be a trend that we'll see from Nissan and Honda.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Acura is only sold in North America primarily because of America's image obsessed society that values so-called "luxury" brands. The brand image is often more important to the average American car buyer than the actual qualities of the car itself. In other markets, people seem to be less into the brand image and more about the car.

Acura and Infiniti both only exist in North America. Lexus has only recently expanded out of the North American market into the Japanese home market, which might be a trend that we'll see from Nissan and Honda.
As a business student....I agree 100%. Acura fills the "implied need" that all Americans strive for a luxury brand of car. I call it "Jonesing". Gotta keep up with the Jones'.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

I guess we are all obsessed then....
Old 03-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
I guess we are all obsessed then....
Speak for yourself. I got the car because I actually liked the combination of sporty handling, interior and exterior design, and I got a great deal.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Instructor

I recall a number of years ago when the Buick "Roadmaster" name was revived. The fact that the car itself was nothing more than a rebadged, retrimmed Chevy Caprice seemed to elude many people; it was, after all, a Buick ROADMASTER.
Maybe the Acura name, as well as the Lexus and Infiniti names, buy into the notion that the most visible reflection of our stations in life are the cars we drive. Not many people notice the wallets we carry, or the watches we wear, but they sure do notice our cars.
I wonder if this is true all over the world.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
This list was recently printed in Automobile magazine. It is a survey of German car owners by the ADAC, which is the equivalent of the AAA.

Brand Image Ranking:
1. Mercedes-Benz
2. BMW
3. Audi
4. VW
5. Porsche
6. Volvo
7. Opel
8. Jaguar
9. Renault
10. Toyota
11. Ford
12. Alfa-Romeo
13. Peugeot
14. Mazda
15. Skoda
16. Smart
17. Saab
18. Citroën
19. Honda
20. Chrysler
21. Nissan
22. Mitsubishi
23. Fiat
24. Seat
25. Land Rover
26. Hyundai
27. Kia
28. Daewoo
29. Lancia
30. MG-Rover
31. Subaru
32. Daihatsu
33. Suzuki

Customer Satisfaction:
1. Toyota
2. Subaru
3. Honda
4. Mazda
5. Nissan
6. Mitsubishi
7. Suzuki
8. Porsche
9. Saab
10. Hyundai
11. BMW
12. Daihatsu
13. Volvo
14. Jaguar
15. Citroën
16. Kia
17. Skoda
18. Lancia
19. Daewoo
20. Peugeot
21. Ford
22. Seat
23. Renault
24. Alfa-Romeo
25. MG-Rover
26. Audi
27. Opel
28. Chrysler
29. Smart
30. Fiat
31. VW
32. Mercedes-Benz
33. Land Rover
Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Being retired Navy I've been all over the world and have seen many luxury cars out there. Mostly the European models, but the peeps with money buy the nice cars. That includes places like Japan, (which btw doesn't export all their models. They save some nice ones for themselves such as the President and Nissan Fairlady Z), Hong Kong, Korea, Bahrain, Maylasia, Tailand, Oman, UAE, Australia, Singpore, Phillippines, Panama, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, Puerto Rico, Guam, Gibraltar and Kenya.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:31 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura is a brand, not an auto manufacturer. Americans are so wealthy and status hungry that we are attracted to brands that make us feel special. Good brands not only make us feel special, but represent a certain value that cannot be attained by a more 'generic' brand.

In the case of Acura, the brand is a combination of Honda manufacturing and technology, combined with special "Acura" interior and exterior technology and design appointments and "Acura" warranty and service upgrades.

So, Acura is a special, more luxurious and sporty "wrapper" of Honda core products and engineering.

This type of branding/marketing is standard fare throughout our lives. We look for brands that represent something that we find attractive. If we didn't, then all we'd buy is store branded stuff.

Dell is a not a horrible example/analogy. Dell doesn't really engineer anything (just like Acura). But Dell makes something a "Dell" by wrapping it into a package that makes it recognizable as "Dell" and combines this with a certain level of service, support, and quality that represents Dell -- vs. the Taiwanese engineers and production staff who actually make the core components. Dell puts it all together into packages that people want.

Acura packages Honda components and adds additional flourishes (technical, style, and performance) to increase its value to customers like us who want more than a Honda Accord, but don't want a BMW or Mercedes with all their quality and image baggage.

Jon
Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Check this out...

http://www.acura.com.hk/

oh, and if you want to feel good about your purchase- go to www.xe.com and do the price conversion. Thats right you whiney americans- you are getting the DEALS OF THE MILLENIUM ON YOUR CARS compared to Hong Kongers.

Back to work!
Jeff
Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odd choice of cars to offer in AcuraHK... (RSX and old RL)
Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Re: my above message.

Incase you were interested but too lazy to check it out for yourself:

Acura 3.2 TL Type-S (old school model)
Price HKD 299,000.00
= $38,349.31 USD
= $46,243.52 CAD

Acura RSX
Price HKD $229,800
= $29,473.82 USD
= $35,541.00 CAD

Acura 3.5 RL (old school model)
Price HKD 459,880.00
= $58,983.55 USD
= $71,125.31 CAD

This isnt to mention the luxury tax that is imposed for owning a car in Hong Kong.

Oh ya, did i mention gas costs $5.62 a gallon?

Jeff.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Racer

Acura TL and RL

Is there a car that is the equivalent of the Acura TL and the Acura RL sold in Europe?

If so, what are they known as there?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:18 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Well, they never update their website in HK.

NSX was discontinued in HK since 95. They aren't going to import the new Legend(RL) and TL either. RSX is the only new model they are offering in HK right now.(And the 160hp base model is the only choice.)
Old 03-13-2005, 10:20 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
Is there a car that is the equivalent of the Acura TL and the Acura RL sold in Europe?

If so, what are they known as there?
TL is North America exclusive model. RL = Honda Legend.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Tuxedo Cat

The US is pretty unique in that we tend to associate prestige with particular brand names rather than with particular products. In Europe, Mercedes has no problem with selling all variety of non-luxury vehicles including little runabouts, heavy trucks and buses. It doesn't impact anybody's impression of the large S class as prestige vehicles. BMW is much the same, we don't get anything approaching their low end vehicles for Europe. Not so much because they couldn't sell them, but because they don't want to "dilute the brand" with non-prestige products.

The US has a particular brand consciousness that doesn't seem to exist in most other places and as a result we have all sorts of US-specific brands that don't exist anywhere else. Doesn't matter whether it's cars or appliances or clothing, in general we tend to get 2-3 different brand names from the same manaufacturer where Europeans will get one.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes