Why are Acura/Honda owners.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just one problem: There really is a difference between Acura cars and Honda cars, HERE in North America, which is our frame of reference -- I mean just those of us HERE, which is the only place where it makes sense to talk about "Acura cars" anyway. I'm not talking about "companies," but THE CARS. We've gone around on this many times, and the debate will never end, which is great because it's fun.

But the fact is, there IS a difference, and the Acuras are better. We can disagree about HOW MUCH better, and whether the difference is significant enough to make it onto your radar screen. It's subjective, and that's great.

But there IS a difference -- it's not just hype and imagination. And to me, it's been a significant enough difference to be noteworthy. Many people agree, many don't. But if you say "Acuras are just Hondas," you're imposing your opinions and your definitions on us. Wanna talk "companies"? Then yeah, Acuras are just Hondas. But if you wanna talk "cars," no way.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Both Hondas and Acuras come down the same assembly line, using the same automated robots and humans, who bolt, weld and glue together the same chassis, body panels, and other key parts into a variety of specifications and permutations for shipment to any number of world markets. At similar trim lines, is an Acura NSX better than an Honda NSX? Is an Acura RL better than a Honda Legend? Is an Acura MDX better than a Honda MDX? We have the Acura nameplate in North America for ~~marketing~~ purposes.

That the European and Japanese and Oz/NZ markets do not need separate marketing branches for selling a certain set of Honda cars tells me that there's nothing "better" about Acuras over Hondas--or vice versa. Perhaps the non-North American markets do not need that "marketing pacifier" called Acura? I can appreciate not needing a pacifier, per se.

It's the marketing person who wants you to believe the contrived Acura label means "better". I've known some Acura owners who were totally--I mean absolutely--unaware that they are driving Hondas. Afterall, Honda makes 'em, not the Acura marketing department.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:32 PM
More On

Hey Brad -- I thought you were in on it when we agreed that there were differences!

Watch out, or I'll give a link!

"Are you threatening me?" he asks.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Ja, agreed! I mentioned "variety of specifications and permutations for shipment to..."

One significant difference I failed to mention is the competitive pressure to offer better warranties, for which Acura offers a better/longer one.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact that so many Acura owners would put Honda on their cars tells me that Acura is not doing their job in promoting the Acura name as a prestige brand. Some have said the reason is that Acura/Honda owners think so highly of Honda, but i think its the opposite..that they DONT think so highly of Acura. SO to them they may as well call it a honda. They are one in the same. I think alot less people would change their lexus badges for a toyota badge, because the lexus name carries more weight. If anything it should be honda owners putting acura badges on their cars.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
The fact that so many Acura owners would put Honda on their cars tells me that Acura is not doing their job in promoting the Acura name as a prestige brand. Some have said the reason is that Acura/Honda owners think so highly of Honda, but i think its the opposite..that they DONT think so highly of Acura.....If anything it should be honda owners putting acura badges on their cars.
That's a good theory and maybe it's right, but I think there's also something to that idea that Honda/Acura attracts more than its share of goofy people.

That's not a put down. I'm goofy too. Just not in that particular way.

Maybe it's all part of the same thing. If Acura were recognized as more of a "prestige" brand (I think it DOES have quite a bit of prestige, but not as much as most of its competitors), I would be less likely to want an Acura -- because I'm goofy. Mind you, in the current market I'd probably still get an Acura, because objectively it meets my needs far better than anything else out there -- but I'd have to overcome some goofy inner tendencies.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:24 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

I just wonder if I can "debadge" my windows to get rid of those Honda logos.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by fdl
The fact that so many Acura owners would put Honda on their cars tells me that Acura is not doing their job in promoting the Acura name as a prestige brand. Some have said the reason is that Acura/Honda owners think so highly of Honda, but i think its the opposite..that they DONT think so highly of Acura. SO to them they may as well call it a honda. They are one in the same. I think alot less people would change their lexus badges for a toyota badge, because the lexus name carries more weight. If anything it should be honda owners putting acura badges on their cars.
Exactly - the fact that Lexus has pulled this off and Acura hasn't shows that Acura has some room for improvement. I think with this next line of cars they are rolling out (TSX, then new TL, then new RL) they may bump up their image.

Maybe Honda owners in other countries put Acura badges on???
Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Racer

Japan is crazy go nuts for re-badging their Hondas.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Banned

they're also crazy about tentacle rape anime and Pokemon.