Who thinks the TSX has the nicest interior of any Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who thinks the TSX has the nicest interior of any Acura?

I think so, even better than the new 04 TL. Of course it would be biaest. But, I drove also the 04 TL and the interior isn't as nice, but the new TL has DVD audio.

I got a 03 TL loaner this morning because I had to take the TSX in for a defective rear view mirror, it was falling off for some reason.
Never sat in the 99-03 TL's before and it just felt like I was driving my 99 Accord again. Wonder if there are any 99-03 former TL owners here who agree.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

the previous gen TL's interior was pretty hideous asthetic wise and the quality was appaling, the so called leather felt more likey vinyl.. the TSX is much better... as for the current gen TL's...i think TSX interior is slightly nicer.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 AM
TSX Bronco

I think the TSX has the nicest Acura interior. IMO, the instrument panel/gauge cluster is probably the nicest one I've seen on a car. Everything's where it should be and nothing feels cheap. I like the TSX's interior better than the '04 TL too. I was considering both when I was purchasing.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:42 AM
bleh...

The TSX and the new Accord's interiors I like, but I like the layout of the TSX's dash.

The dashboard and interior is so much better than the way the dash and seats looked on the 98-02 Accords, which were ugly!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
In terms of layout, I prefer the TSX's design - it's more subdued. Quality wise, the TL is probably the nicest new Acura. The fake wood looks very real and much better than the one in the TSX, there's real aluminum vs. the TSX's plastic aluminum, the leather feels thick and durable.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
TSX Lover

The 04 TL's gauges really brings it below the TSX. I also like the general layout on the TSX better. However, I really tried to like the Parchment Interior on the TSX. The color of the leather and wood are not as pleasing as on the TL.

If you are comparing Ebony or Quartz interior, then the TSX is far better than the TL IMO. I also don't like the camel interior on the TL, although I thought I would.

As for other Acuras I think the Vigor and 2nd Generation Legend had great looking interiors that honestly challenge the models we have today.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by prballard
As for other Acuras I think the Vigor and 2nd Generation Legend had great looking interiors that honestly challenge the models we have today.
I hear ya! I also thought the 1st gen CL had a nice interior...nice slab of wood running across the dash, polished chrome around the shiftgate. Little things like that. But the 2nd CL that shared its interior with the TL...I didn't like that too much.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Of all the cars I've driven, which include quite a few exotics, the TSX has by far the best laid out, ergonomic, and executed dash.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 AM
6MT Snob

I think the TL's is kinda neat but i still like the TSX's better.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Race Director

after getting rid of the 3.2 TL loaner this afternoon i was happy, i was already missing the interior of the TSX so much.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Racer

The TSX's instrument cluster, especially color scheme, ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I may be somewhat less biased since I haven't picked a horse in this race yet. The TL wins in feel and look of the leather and aluminum, and the wood look is light years beyond the hideous "plood" in the TSX, if the "plood" was the only available TSX interior I don't think I would even consider it.

The layout of both the TL and TSX are better than the MDX and years (literally) beyond the RL and NSX and the RSX still has some measure of econo-box sprinkled around. I still find some of the layout counter-intuative but that may be a product of years in German cars.

In the end I have to say the TL is probably the best Acura interior, the real Al and nicer leather go a long way in this, my slight perference for the TSX ergonomics may be due to the fact the cabin in the TSX is more narrow, assuring everything is in easy reach.

Close between all the more recent rebuilds (sans the RSX) but the last seems to be the best IMHO.

Vandy
Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Advanced

If the TSX had the wood and aluminium used in the TL, the interior would be darn near perfect. I love the layout of the TSX interior, I just dislike the materials. That goes for the plastics too. Although it's a lot better than earlier efforts (old TL, Legend, etc) it's still harder and less plush than the German stuff. On the bright side I think the headliner material is perfectly adequate, as is most of the leather (still not a huge fan of the perforations though).

The TL has soft plastics and dark coloured wood. Oh how nice it would be to be able to get that in the TSX. Design wise I think the TSX is light years ahead of the TL which has too many clashing motifs (plus I find the whole dash too upright).

Oh well, for $34,800 I can't complain.

But I will try. There are two things I'd like changed on the interior.

1. The two compartments under the HVAC (one empty and the other ashtray) and the cupholder cover could stand to be a little more elegant. They should be smoothed off and damped a little more. As it is they are a tad plasticky (too "big") and the action (though already damped) is still a little crude for my tastes. But when closed they look fine to me.

2. The trim (wood or aluminium) should extend to the back doors as well. Otherwise the rear seems kind of unfinished. But I'm not back there anyway so I don't really care. On the plus side I think the huge rear headrests really give the car an upscale feel. One thing I hated about Hondas is that they always had those integrated rear headrests (i.e. previous gen Accord). Hate those things.

As you can see for $34,800 I really couldn't complain. I tried but all I could find was nitpicking. And as you can see, I take my interiors pretty seriously.

P.S. Forget all the alterations. If they could just make it stop rattling it would be the perfect interior.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:23 AM
Racer

Oh I love my TSX interior...but I like the new TL's. Just like the TSX but more $$
Old 03-18-2004, 06:30 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to say this is a close 1 and 2. By just look and feel, the TSX would win. But if you were to look at quality, the TL's leather is by far a lot better....not to mention DVD-A and memory seats!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Banned

I like the TL's interior better, except for the dash.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:36 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by Saintor
I like the TL's interior better, except for the dash.
They really need to redo the gauges on the TL and get rid of those 3 pods. IMO
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I was going to buy a TSX before taking an '04 TL for a test drive. I was torn between the two, I think they both look fantastic inside, the person who started the thread mentioned the new TL felt like his '99 accord inside, having owned a 99 Accord I find nothing in the TL to remind me of the 99 Accord, not even close. Anyway, I find them both to be very attractive, I think I go for the dash in the TL and the console in the TSX.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Yeah, those gauge pods are not very appealling to me either. Also, the lighting of the instrument panel in the TSX is just classier.

I had a change to compare both the TSX and TL instrument panels while the cars were sitting side to side at a local auto show. Both the instrument panels were lit up.

The gauges in the TL just seem gimmicky to me. The blue lighting is overdone it seems. It just seems almost cheesy. Not nearly the same hue and pleasantness and class as the TSX.

Since I don't own either car, I think I have a little bit of impartiality. A friend of mine who also does not own either car agreed with me.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Norse396
I was going to buy a TSX before taking an '04 TL for a test drive. I was torn between the two, I think they both look fantastic inside, the person who started the thread mentioned the new TL felt like his '99 accord inside, having owned a 99 Accord I find nothing in the TL to remind me of the 99 Accord, not even close. Anyway, I find them both to be very attractive, I think I go for the dash in the TL and the console in the TSX.
what are you talking about? the 6th gen accord looks like the prev gen TL, the layout was kind of the same to the 6th gen, the sound of the door opening and interior leather was about the same as the 99-03 TL. only things different are the 6 disc cd changer, the sportshift, and looks a little longer in the back.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
has been here awhile

Unhappy Sorry...but...

I really really prefer the TL interior to the TSX. That's not to say the TSX's interior is bad--by ANY means. I like them both.

The TL is just visually more interesting to look at (and touch). I love...

-The 3-pod guage design...this ties in with the use of the large, dramatic aluminum radio controls, round shift nob, and aluminum rings around the speakers

-The wide ribbons of aluminum are fluid and really dress up the interior

-The controls/buttons all integrate into the dashboard--there's no random placement of buttons

-The concave surface change on the passenger side dashboard, where the "carbon fiber" trim tapers into

-Door trim features aluminum and the carbon fiber (or wood)

-Dash looks like it is swathed in rich leather

-The ELS stereo is AMAZING--it's very cool to hear a trumpet blare from ONLY the left rear speaker while the rest of the music plays on

-The aluminum is genuine! There's nothing like the feel of good ol' fashioned COLD aluminum

-Seats look like sculptures. The headrest flows beautifully "onto" the seat...side bolsters are prominant and look muscular. Plus they're REALLY comfortable

The TSX's interior is definitely similar, and also quite handsome. The TL just looks a little dressier--as it well should. I just prefer the busier look and feel of the TL's cabin.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Race Director

i guess everyone has their own opinions on the layouts, just like every one of us guys has a different taste in women.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
what are you talking about? the 6th gen accord looks like the prev gen TL, the layout was kind of the same to the 6th gen, the sound of the door opening and interior leather was about the same as the 99-03 TL. only things different are the 6 disc cd changer, the sportshift, and looks a little longer in the back.
I disagree, the layouts don't look the same to me. You are referring to the dash, right?

Old 03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Race Director

well phille the TL pic u had has a navi on it, so of course it will look diff than the 6th gen accord, :P

well the layout of the auto window controls are the same, the same 3 pod layout, but i think you are comparing a TL-S and an Accord V6 Ex, so I guess the $9K difference is evident there.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant stand the 3 gauge pods that the TL has. My girlfriend has an Altima and it has this same style gauge layout. THE PASSENGER CANNOT SEE THE SPEEDOMETER OR TEMERATURE GAUGE from the passenger seat. I guess that aint a big deal to some people, but when i am in her car i have to ask her the temp cause i cant see for myself. Doesnt anybody else find this to be annoying to say the least?

DRAMATIC--> But what if you were going to take a driver license test in a new TL. Would the instructor have to "ask" you if your doing the speed limit? End rant
Old 03-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX interior w/ navi and hands down is the best interior of any Acura IMO.

I think dial gauges are too selfish. I always like to peer over the driver and gaze at the guages, but with dials I can't see a thing! TSX instrument panel is not as "selfish." Since it looks so nice anyway it's good to show it off, too
Old 03-19-2004, 01:10 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
well phille the TL pic u had has a navi on it, so of course it will look diff than the 6th gen accord, :P

well the layout of the auto window controls are the same, the same 3 pod layout, but i think you are comparing a TL-S and an Accord V6 Ex, so I guess the $9K difference is evident there.
We have a 99 Accord...it does not have 3 pods like the TL. It's flat like the TSX's. You just can't see it well in the pic I posted. The layout of the window controls are in the same position in a whole bunch of other cars as well, it's a pretty generic design. Also notice where the A/C/heat vents are on both interiors, as well as the glove compartments.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Advanced

I think the TL's interior is in another leauge compared to the TSXs.. I personally think TSX's interior is on par with the Accord EXs at best.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by phile
I disagree, the layouts don't look the same to me. You are referring to the dash, right?

Those pictures are not relatively accurate imo.. thats the highest trim TL whereas the Accord is the lowest basic trim.

But even if you did use the Accord EXV6's trim, there still would be a big difference. :P
Old 03-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Pinky all stinky

That's actually the interior of an EX 4-cylinder.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that on the previous TL, the trunk release was in the lower portion of the door, in the Accord it's on the floor.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I prefer the TSX's interior, especially the gauge pod. If the TL had the TSX's dash layout, I probably would have gone for a TL.