When should I get my first alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When should I get my first alignment?

The tire shops around here all claim that you should have an alignment done on your car every six months. The owners manual gives specific instructions about tire rotation, but not about alignment or balancing. Can anybody here offer some recommendations?

I know this sounds like a total newbie question, but I've found that there are quite few knowledable posters at this site who can help you can past the "recommendations" you from your standard tire shop (not hard to imagine why somebody would recommend a service they sell).
Old 10-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you dont need an alingment every 6 months...they are just trying to rip you off...unless you hit your wheels or lowered your car, you dont need an alignment...
Old 10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Not an Ashtray

So, does that mean that I should NEVER do an alignment, or shoudl it be done once a year or something?
Old 10-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1. I would get the alignment done when lowering the car. The best method is to use a camber kit for better result.

2. Re-check the alignment when replacing tires or tire/wheel setup, especially if they are different size than the previous setup.

3. Re-check the alignment if the car no longer track the road correctly (going to one side by itself).
Old 10-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Not an Ashtray

So, in other words, the don't get a routine alignment? In the past, I've done it at least a year. But, it sounds like you guys are saying don't do it unless there is some kind of special need.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by darth62
So, in other words, the don't get a routine alignment? In the past, I've done it at least a year. But, it sounds like you guys are saying don't do it unless there is some kind of special need.
Why would you need a routine alignment? It isn't like your alignment falls out every now and then. It usually has more to do with impacts to the suspension (like accidents), suspension replacements (or any component that touches the suspension like tires), excluding sway bars as those don't affect the suspension geometry.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Tire shops push routine alignments and balancing, arguing that you should have it done once a year. The theory being that alignment is off because of the daily bumps that you suspension absorbs.

I'm not saying this reflects reality, but this is what most tire shops claim.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Tire shops push routine alignments and balancing, arguing that you should have it done once a year. The theory being that alignment is off because of the daily bumps that you suspension absorbs.

I'm not saying this reflects reality, but this is what most tire shops claim.
Here is an easy test. Find a flat piece of road, even like a shoping mart's parking lot. Drive the car in a straight line (perpendicular to the parking lane traffic so that you can aim down some lines). Get the car up to about 20mph in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel. Note, if there is even a slight bit of grade to the parking lot, it will not work. If your car runs fairly straight, then don't worry.

Most times, cars only need alignments when they get tires. Remember, tire shops are not in the business to give away free advice. That's why they tell you things that cost you money.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Not an Ashtray

Great. Thanks for the advice. You just saved me a few $.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Great. Thanks for the advice. You just saved me a few $.
Additionally, alignments also include adjustments to tire camber. An easy way to see if your camber is off (over a long period of time) is to watch the tire wear. If you rotate your tires, this should help maintain longevity of wear, but once again, this is usually only an issue if something has happened to change the geometry of the suspension components (including and especially lowering).

If you want a good bit of information, visit www.tirerack.com. They are in the business of selling tires, but also give good free advice.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I would love to read some technical reasons why some people feel alignments are not useful. All of my previous Hondas--3 of them--and my pickup had alignment problems and badly worn tires that cost me a fair amount of change to replace.

It's pay now for alignments or pay later with replacing badly and prematurely worn tires. I recommend once-a-year alignment along with tire balancing. Frequency is a judgement call and not a science. Alignment at a local place is about $60. That's cheap compared to replacing the 17" tires on a TSX. (Some people have been quoted upwards of $200 or more per tire at some places.)

Over time, it's driving over pot-holes and speeding over speed bumps that throw things off. I didn't know about alignments until about 4 or 5 years ago. Since I've had alignments done once-a-year, all tires on all of my motor vehicles have had absolutely normal, even wear.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Having the proper alignment is useful but it's not necessary to do it on a regular basis. Did you lower your cars or modify the suspension? If so, did you use the proper camber kit to bring the alignment back to spec and make sure all other suspension componets are in good working condition? Once the alignment is set correctly, it doesn't just go out of spec and cause the tires to wear prematurely, unless...

1. the car has worn out suspension components such as ball joints, shocks, or bent parts.

2. improper tire pressure

There isn't much to adjust on a stock alignment of today's cars. The most common adjustment is the toe. There is usually no caster, no camber adjustment without the add-on camber kit. If you jack up a car and inspect the suspension, you can clearly see where the point of adjustments are. So when you had the regular alignment done, did you ask exactly what was done to it?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, one reasonable alternative is to buy a lifetime alignment policy at your local goodyear dealer. It costs a little less than $100, and then you can get it aligned and tires balanced every six months at no cost. I did that for my last Accord, and it worked out well.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Co-Owner

Originally posted by JTso
1. I would get the alignment done when lowering the car. The best method is to use a camber kit for better result.

2. Re-check the alignment when replacing tires or tire/wheel setup, especially if they are different size than the previous setup.

3. Re-check the alignment if the car no longer track the road correctly (going to one side by itself).
That 's all true and except one..
Only when your car is not lowered enough to go on the alignment rack...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:04 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Generally, unless you change the suspension geometry or notice tire wear caused by misalignment, then you needn't do an alignment.

Some tire shops will offer to check your alignment for free when you replace the tires. They then proceed to align the car if it needs it. Getting an alignment done when purchasing new tires will prolong the life of those new tires. You don't want brand-new rubber getting screwed up by bad alignment!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by XPLORx4
Generally, unless you change the suspension geometry or notice tire wear caused by misalignment, then you needn't do an alignment.
I've never changed my suspension, it's geometry, or done any modifications to that area, and ALL three of my previous Hondas, a Toyota, and a Datsun--all that I have owned since they were brand new--have had alignment problems over a period of time.

Bad pot holes are the most common form of alignment going out of whack.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:02 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally posted by Brad

Bad pot holes are the most common form of alignment going out of whack.
While that may be true, just because you hit a pothole or two doesn't mean you automatically need an alignment. Unless your front tires are wearing unevenly or the car pulls or drifts to one side, an alignment generally isn't necessary. But if you've got the time and money, and want the extra "peace of mind", then go ahead and get an alignment as often as you want.

And, as I said in my previous post, have your alignment at least checked when you replace your tires.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

If you have uneven tire wear, it's too late for an alignment.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

If you have uneven tire wear, it's too late for an alignment.
You can have uneven tire wear from taking corners fast, burning out, locking up tires under regular braking, etc etc. None of these have anything to do with alignment being out of spec.

The best way to eliminate bad tire wear is to rotate your tires every 10-15k miles assuming your alignment is good to begin with and you don't do anything to knock the alignment out.

As for paying $100 for alignment package... never have done it and never have needed to (I've owned 5 cars, MANY sets of tires).

Only tires I wore out before their life expectancy was performance tires and that was because I ran them hard through corners... FYI, the alignment was still fine on them.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Instructor

An alignment should only be needed if something is obviously wrong with the handling of the vehicle, such as pulling to one side. My wife's Sentra developed an oversteer once settled into a fast corner, resulting from out-of-spec front toe angle.

Also, seek an alignment if you see uneven tire wear when you rotate your tires every 5000 miles or so.

Finally, maybe this is just my experience, but I will never trust anyone to align my car except for the dealer. I've tried reputable private shops, gas station service bays, chain tire merchants, etc, none of them has properly aligned my car. The car usually ends up pulling to one side, which they promptly blame on tire tread pattern.

Don't mess with alignment unless you see a problem.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Acura will do 1 free alignment in the first 12 mons. or 12000 miles. See your service rep.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by LeeLee
An alignment should only be needed if something is obviously wrong with the handling of the vehicle, such as pulling to one side. My wife's Sentra developed an oversteer once settled into a fast corner, resulting from out-of-spec front toe angle.

Also, seek an alignment if you see uneven tire wear when you rotate your tires every 5000 miles or so.

Finally, maybe this is just my experience, but I will never trust anyone to align my car except for the dealer. I've tried reputable private shops, gas station service bays, chain tire merchants, etc, none of them has properly aligned my car. The car usually ends up pulling to one side, which they promptly blame on tire tread pattern.

Don't mess with alignment unless you see a problem.
I used to get regular alignments on both of my Hondas, and never had a problem with pulling to either side.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I used to get regular alignments on both of my Hondas, and never had a problem with pulling to either side.
Just because you had regular alignments doesn't mean that those alignments were necessary.

Aligning a car that is already in spec is like regularly changing your oil every 500 miles: sure, it can't hurt, but it's a lot of wasted time and money.

There's no harm in having the alignment checked from time to time, though, especially when replacing your tires.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:42 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since I've had alignments done once-a-year, all tires on all of my motor vehicles have had absolutely normal, even wear.
I think even once-a-year can be overkill. I haven't had a wheel alignment done on my Civic in 5+ years, and I've had nothing but normal, even tire wear.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:55 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally posted by STL
I think even once-a-year can be overkill. I haven't had a wheel alignment done on my Civic in 5+ years, and I've had nothing but normal, even tire wear.
You must have not hit any potholes then. You get the good driver discount!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Not an Ashtray

I have to say that this has been a very helpful thread. Thanks for the information guys!