Whats the purpose of the transmissions on the AUTO TSX's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can change it from manual to automatic....

Whats the point? do you save gas when using manual??

AND...when you drive it in manual...I always shift up a gear without taking my foot off the gas. Thats fine right cuz there aint no clutch......? Right?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

I think the point is to give the driver a “Feel” of driving a manual (more engaging/fun). Also it helps when you need to drop the gears down and get your speed up. Ie: free way merging , passing slower cars. I don’t know of the benefits of keeping it in SS (sport shift) mode as to leaving it in drive when it comes to gas mileage. I would assume that you get worse mileage if you drive a lot in SS mode because you are probably holding the gears longer and going to higher RPMs.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TasteOfPower

AND...when you drive it in manual...I always shift up a gear without taking my foot off the gas. Thats fine right cuz there aint no clutch......? Right?
Its to make you think you are a supercool badass for those of you that were not lucky enough tho get the MT

j/k
Old 06-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

awesome question
Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its so you (i.e. the driver) can pick your shift points rather than letting the transmission logic do it for you. If you have the reflash, you can take full advantage of it by shifting at 7600rpm in SS. Without SS the tranny will shift at 7300rpm.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
awesome question
fixed
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ellakameleon
Its to make you think you are a supercool badass for those of you that were not lucky enough tho get the MT

j/k
wow!

Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Instructor

It also helps if you want to downshift while going uphill/downhill.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Advanced

I had a TL as a loaner car last week that had this in it. I loved the SS mode. I know my brakes would last alot longer if I had gone with this. Even though I downshift in mine I still used less braking in the TL. Dont get me wrong I dont think I liked it enough to give up my MT though.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a TL as a loaner car last week that had this in it. I loved the SS mode. I know my brakes would last alot longer if I had gone with this. Even though I downshift in mine I still used less braking in the TL. Dont get me wrong I dont think I liked it enough to give up my MT though.
How does a SS AT help you slow down any better than a MT? That doesn't make any sense at all to me...unless you are just too lazy to downshift your MT.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Well, the transmission is there to allow the wheels (which you generally want spinning between 0 and 900rpm) to turn at a different rate from the engine (which has to spin between about 1k and 7k rpm). It also has five selectable gear ratios so that you can trade a lower top speed for more torque at the wheels when driving in the city, and switch to higher gear to cruise on the highway at relatively lower engine RPM.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Its so you (i.e. the driver) can pick your shift points rather than letting the transmission logic do it for you. If you have the reflash, you can take full advantage of it by shifting at 7600rpm in SS. Without SS the tranny will shift at 7300rpm.

jlukja is absolutely right about this. The SS mode is designed to allow the driver to override the transmission computer's logic. This means that the driver can do things such as anticipate passing by putting the car in the appropriate gear before applying the gas. By comparison, the same maneuver in full automatic mode would require that the driver step on the gas, wait for the transmission to decide on the gear, select the gear, and then accelerate.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by STL
How does a SS AT help you slow down any better than a MT? That doesn't make any sense at all to me...unless you are just too lazy to downshift your MT.

To me the downshift in SS mode in the TL loaner car was ALOT smoother than my tsx MT. That is why I said that. Im not to lazy to downshift its just to jerky and having a short shifter doesnt help the matter, I have not mastered the technique I suppose. Im working on it though.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:04 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

To me the downshift in SS mode in the TL loaner car was ALOT smoother than my tsx MT. That is why I said that. Im not to lazy to downshift its just to jerky and having a short shifter doesnt help the matter, I have not mastered the technique I suppose. Im working on it though.
learn to drive
Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts

Do you blip the throttle at all (rev match) before you downshift? Even if the rev match isn't perfect, just feathering the throttle before you let up on the clutch will help if your revs have gotten too low.

On the other hand, if you're engine braking, & that's why it's rough, just ease off the clutch a little more gently.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpt
learn to drive

Im working on it you ass.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Damn jpt, did someone pee in your cereal this morning?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Do you blip the throttle at all (rev match) before you downshift? Even if the rev match isn't perfect, just feathering the throttle before you let up on the clutch will help if your revs have gotten too low.

On the other hand, if you're engine braking, & that's why it's rough, just ease off the clutch a little more gently.

Yea thats my prob, I try to downshift when my RMPS are still to high and let off my clutch too quick. Im getting better though.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:18 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

To me the downshift in SS mode in the TL loaner car was ALOT smoother than my tsx MT.
It better be...it's a slushbox after all!

That is why I said that. Im not to lazy to downshift its just to jerky and having a short shifter doesnt help the matter, I have not mastered the technique I suppose. Im working on it though.
I admit the DBW throttle in the TSX seems to make it harder for me -- then again I'm not used to it. But my other the 6MT car (a S2000) doesn't have DBW -- thankfully -- so that'll make getting used to it a bit tougher.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by STL
It better be...it's a slushbox after all!

I admit the DBW throttle in the TSX seems to make it harder for me -- then again I'm not used to it. But my other the 6MT car (a S2000) doesn't have DBW -- thankfully -- so that'll make getting used to it a bit tougher.

Yes, I hate the DBW. I have driven other cars and it is so much easier. I thought it was just me until I got in another MT and drove it super smooth.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Yes, I hate the DBW. I have driven other cars and it is so much easier. I thought it was just me until I got in another MT and drove it super smooth.
You'll hate it now, but once you learn how to adapt it to your driving style, you'll see that it does have its benefits. For all the whining that happens on this site for the DBW throttle, there are a few of us who have not once said that they don't like it.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You'll hate it now, but once you learn how to adapt it to your driving style, you'll see that it does have its benefits.
Like...

And I do realize the potential benefits of VSA (but thankfully haven't yet had to call on it yet).
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

Blipping the throttle before letting the clutch out on the downshift (rev matching) will help, as will letting the clutch out a little more gingerly.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Advanced

I once got pulled over for DWB...aka...

DRIVING WHILE BLACK
Old 06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Racer

I WANT A MT TSX.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm proud to be in the 5AT Club. Join the club. Don't hate. Most JDM whores are 5AT.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the bump of the old post, but I was driving home tonight and had a question come up...Is it necessary to let off the gas when shifting in the SS mode? It seems that its a lot smoother when I let off the gas when shifting (whether its up or down). When I shift up with my foot on the gas, the car jerks just a tiny bit, same as when i downshift.
Also, is there a point at which I should be downshifting?
I've noticed that when I downshift at around 1100 rpm, its much smoother as opposed to 1.5k.

Sorry for the lenthy post, but really wanted to know that before I went to bed, I guess I'll get my answer by morningtime
Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Its not necessary but, as you discovered, probably smoother.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats an interesting question. I'll try that tonight.

I wonder whether other "manualmatics" like the ones in Infiniti vehicles work as well as the 5AT in the TSX. I really find the transmission on this car to be a pleasure.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I for one really do not have an issue with DBW on the TSX.
I think it's just a cop out for those who can't drive a 6MT TSX smoothly, and since one person started saying it, everyone else does too.

If I don't perform a smooth shift, I know for certain it's my own fault and not that of DBW.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Advanced

AT is for pussies.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pbjpb
AT is for pussies.
don't start that here.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pbjpb
AT is for pussies.

Someone's gonna get a mad hurtin'

Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

jlukja is absolutely right about this. The SS mode is designed to allow the driver to override the transmission computer's logic. This means that the driver can do things such as anticipate passing by putting the car in the appropriate gear before applying the gas. By comparison, the same maneuver in full automatic mode would require that the driver step on the gas, wait for the transmission to decide on the gear, select the gear, and then accelerate.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I test drove an automatic TSX and was wondering why it took time before accelerating when I tried to merge onto the highway. That's actually a point that's making me hesitate about the TSX, as my other car doesn't do that.

Are there situations when you should *not* attempt to shift it down one speed? Or is it always okay to do that? I'd like to re-try the automatic again, but don't want to manually downshift inappropriately during the test drive and damage the car or something... Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
Thanks, this is very helpful. I test drove an automatic TSX and was wondering why it took time before accelerating when I tried to merge onto the highway. That's actually a point that's making me hesitate about the TSX, as my other car doesn't do that.

Are there situations when you should *not* attempt to shift it down one speed? Or is it always okay to do that? I'd like to re-try the automatic again, but don't want to manually downshift inappropriately during the test drive and damage the car or something... Thanks.
Don't downshift it to from 2-1. The change in ratios is drastic, and it can be really rough. However, the transmission logic is pretty good at protecting itself- if it can't really do it, it just won't. The gear indicator will flash '1' and then give you second.

If you're doing a test drive and the car is a demo car, go ahead and try that downshift, just so you know how it feels.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Don't downshift it to from 2-1. The change in ratios is drastic, and it can be really rough. However, the transmission logic is pretty good at protecting itself- if it can't really do it, it just won't. The gear indicator will flash '1' and then give you second.

If you're doing a test drive and the car is a demo car, go ahead and try that downshift, just so you know how it feels.

No wonder it's so rough..

Looks like my car's messed. -___-;

I'm never shifting from 2 to 1 anymore =/
Old 09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you're downshifting unnecessarily to increase engine speed and decrease your actual speed, you're idiots. it's one thing to downshift once when you're going down a long decline (like driving through mountains in PA or something where you can be on a decline for miles at a time), but if you're doing it when you come up to every stop light, have fun when your transmission craps out. i'd rather pay for new brake pads like 2 months earlier than i would have instead of buying a new tranny.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Racer

I meant, downshift only to merge onto a highway, for example.

I'd rather avoid the pause if possible, so that I can feel safer knowing it'll accelerate when I ask it to.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Why don't you question then the RL and TL which also have SS mode. It's a good option for people to feel to drive "manual" w/o learning to use a clutch.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Instructor

It's so cute, you MT elitists. An honest survey would confirm no less than 50% of you that are <23 years old and have had your parents purchase your cars.

I thought Acura drivers were a bit classier, a bit more mature and definetely more savvy than your run of the mill consumer.

Time and time again, on these forums, I am proven wrong.

Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the transmissions on the AUTO TSX's?